[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

It's scary to think about working on

Especially since if I went back to it, I think I'd have to start the lander from scratch.

someday,

someday

oh well we have vikings orbiter.

Edited by kspbutitscursed

Minotaur (Kitbashed) docks to resupply Freedom.

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

z2R9O5J.png

(Only one pic, because kind of off topic. The only on-topic thing is the Apollo in the background. Check out the full album for the rocket launch aboard Europa 42U... gosh I wish someone would do an ETS dedicated mod)

Edited by GoldForest

On 6/11/2024 at 6:24 AM, Blufor878 said:

The more I learn about the folks on this thread, the less qualified I feel to be here. @Invaderchaos works on rockets for real, @DaveyJ576 is retired military, and now this. Makes the mod feel that much more special.

With that in mind, I predict @GoldForest is a blood relative of Philip Bono, because that would explain a lot!

Wow! I consider that to be a sincere compliment and I appreciate it.  Thank you.

It may surprise you to know that my area of military expertise is in submarines, the exact opposite of rockets. If you are interested in that sort of thing (I apologize for going off topic here) check out my website: PigBoats.COM

My only real spaceflight qualifications come from watching Neil and Buzz on TV as a kid, and an insatiable curiosity about spaceflight that came from that experience. I am a well-informed amateur and nothing more. That is why I enjoy KSP/BDB so much. It allows me to exercise that fascination anytime I want.

BTW, I have always thought submariners would make GREAT astronauts. (Insert shout out to Steve Bowen and Kayla Barron here) :lol:

8 minutes ago, Spike88 said:

This the Boring Crew Service starliner?

I think that is the only mod with a "real" fabric look to it  so yes?   But remember it was left in an incomplete status no parachutes and other greebles missing

I wouldn't know.  The newest capsule I fly outside of Ab-historical is Apollo

Edited by Pappystein

Having issues with the Lono-MRV-SDM hinge. I can attach stuff to it, test it, it'll slide properly in the editor. But in flight the objects attached stick to the core craft and the slider moves independently, and breaks it in the hangar as well.
image.png?ex=666bfb68&is=666aa9e8&hm=463

40 minutes ago, Taco Salad said:

Having issues with the Lono-MRV-SDM hinge. I can attach stuff to it, test it, it'll slide properly in the editor. But in flight the objects attached stick to the core craft and the slider moves independently, and breaks it in the hangar as well.

I was actually just playing with this part, it seemed fine to me - do you have KSP Comminuty Fixes installed? I'd highly recommend it if not.

Just retested it in a similar setup to your pic, and it still works fine for me. If you already have KSPCF, might need logs or a craft file to look into it more.

Atlas VI N012S launches Starliner to a ~100 km x ~100 km ~51.64 degree orbit. 

Naming scheme:
1st number is Fairing size. 2 possibilities: 5m (3.125m ksp) or 7.2m (Would be 4.375m in KSP, though the LDC widened fairing only goes out to 3.5m, so... yeah)
2nd number is SRBs. 6 options. (Still uses AJ-60s surprisingly... surprised they wouldn't produce a stretched version.)
3rd number is the number of RD-180s. 2 options: 1 or 2.
4th Number is the number of RL-10 options. 3 in total. 1 engine, 2 engines or 4 engines.
5th character is either S or E. S stands for Standard Length Widebody Centaur. E stands for Extended Length Widebody Centaur. (Or if you want numbers, S = 1, E =2)

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

1WT4PoB.png

C0tO7NF.png

jeihjqg.png

QleZGBF.png

3eHfhOF.png

rDCgkan.png

Edited by GoldForest

P2 Truss is added to Freedom. Moar powah! I mean... the centrifuge takes up a lot... 

BLuFjTC.png

VAbjoXc.png

5S4uIcR.png

RiM6Kg0.png

3uSOTkW.png

FKYG6tU.png

If any of you are wondering why I don't do the rocket launches anymore, it's not because I forgot... it's just... it would be repetitive to show.

On 6/11/2024 at 11:37 PM, KeaKaka said:

cannot get enough Atlas

screenshot729.png

13 hours ago, Pappystein said:

I think that is the only mod with a "real" fabric look to it  so yes?   But remember it was left in an incomplete status no parachutes and other greebles missing

I wouldn't know.  The newest capsule I fly outside of Ab-historical is Apollo

Hey, BDB bros, any chance at all you could perhaps adopt this mod and finally finish it? Maybe Dylansemrau's other mods too...;.;

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

Hey, BDB bros, any chance at all you could perhaps adopt this mod and finally finish it? Maybe Dylansemrau's other mods too...;.;

Don't fit the scope of the mod. This mod is "historic" rockets and spacecraft.

Atlas V and Delta IV were mostly "I wanted to include them" and "it's to finish the family tree off" iirc.

Maybe for BDB's 50th anniversary.

Edited by GoldForest

43 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Don't fit the scope of the mod. This mod is "historic" rockets and spacecraft.

Atlas V and Delta IV were mostly "I wanted to include them" and "it's to finish the family tree off"

Okay, but can you at least rescue some of the probes from ProbesPlus, like IUE, Cassini, STEREO, the various Mars orbiters maybe? I imagine those would be a lot less work than Viking because the former two are pretty up to scratch...

22 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

Okay, but can you at least rescue some of the probes from ProbesPlus, like IUE, Cassini, STEREO, the various Mars orbiters maybe? I imagine those would be a lot less work than Viking because the former two are pretty up to scratch...

I believe all of Probesplus is supposed to be integrated into BDB at some point, but don't quote me. I can't remember. 

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

I believe all of Probesplus is supposed to be integrated into BDB at some point, but don't quote me. I can't remember. 

We'd talked with Akron about any ProbesPlus revamps being integrated into BDB, so that we could help keep them moving along. But it seems that Akron doesn't have as much free time to return to modding as he'd hoped.

As an aside, the desire to draw a line on BDB's scope, somewhere, is at least partially because this stuff takes a lot of time. I've definitely been working on X-15... for a couple more months than planned, for example. We're just a couple people and can't be tasked with recreating every real-life rocket, probe, and spacecraft. Drawing a line on BDB's scope (hopefully) leaves space open for other people to come and contribute their own work to filling out the 'real-ish' universe in KSP. I feel like that's been debatably successful, but...

In other news, finally got around to a small side project I've been wanting to do for a while now.

When I made the F-1B, I was... disappointed when I looked up the performance numbers and found it wasn't an upgrade from the F-1A, more of a sidegrade. I really wanted to have an "ultimate" or "modernized" F-1A.

@Katniss218 has an awesome, speculative, modernized F-1A variant (which I refer to as the F-1CW) that they gave me permission to recreate in BDB. Here is the mesh with an initial texture - still a bit of detailing work to do.

atqgjD2.png

42 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

We'd talked with Akron about any ProbesPlus revamps being integrated into BDB, so that we could help keep them moving along. But it seems that Akron doesn't have as much free time to return to modding as he'd hoped.

As an aside, the desire to draw a line on BDB's scope, somewhere, is at least partially because this stuff takes a lot of time. I've definitely been working on X-15... for a couple more months than planned, for example. We're just a couple people and can't be tasked with recreating every real-life rocket, probe, and spacecraft. Drawing a line on BDB's scope (hopefully) leaves space open for other people to come and contribute their own work to filling out the 'real-ish' universe in KSP. I feel like that's been debatably successful, but...

In other news, finally got around to a small side project I've been wanting to do for a while now.

When I made the F-1B, I was... disappointed when I looked up the performance numbers and found it wasn't an upgrade from the F-1A, more of a sidegrade. I really wanted to have an "ultimate" or "modernized" F-1A.

@Katniss218 has an awesome, speculative, modernized F-1A variant (which I refer to as the F-1CW) that they gave me permission to recreate in BDB. Here is the mesh with an initial texture - still a bit of detailing work to do.

atqgjD2.png

I always wondered why F-1B, now the CW, went open cycle. Any reason?

Also, considering BDB and Tantares and to some extent Knes and Commonwealth rocketry are the only IRL rocket mods still in full swing today, I'd say the "space" isn't being filled as much as it should be. I think a better approach would be, "We'll make it, but if anyone comes along and wants to make this same rocket, we'll retire ours." But that's just my opinion. It fills the void and allows for growth when able.

Edited by GoldForest

18 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I always wondered why F-1B, now the CW, went open cycle. Any reason?

Also, considering BDB and Tantares and to some extent Knes and Commonwealth rocketry are the only IRL rocket mods still in full swing today, I'd say the "space" isn't being filled as much as it should be. I think a better approach would be, "We'll make it, but if anyone comes along and wants to make this same rocket, we'll retire ours." But that's just my opinion. It fills the void and allows for growth when able.

F1 was always open cycle. Dumping the exhaust into the nozzle for film cooling as the original did doesn't really count as closed cycle. The entire F-1B redesign was based around adapting the F-1 to modern production methods. In fact it would been difficult to remake the original as it was from what I understand.

eande-f1bchart.jpg

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

I hope you realize that was a long way of just asking us to still make everything :P

And if there's already a BDB quality version of something, what's the incentive for someone else to make it? And what's the incentive for us to make parts we're not interested in, if the goal is... to hope some day someone else makes a slightly better one?

7 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I hope you realize that was a long way of just asking us to still make everything :P

And if there's already a BDB quality version of something, what's the incentive for someone else to make it? And what's the incentive for us to make parts we're not interested in, if the goal is... to hope some day someone else makes a slightly better one?

Not everything, just most of everything. :P In all seriousness, didn't mean to make it come out like a request, more just how I would do it if I were a modder, while adhering to the focus on my mod. 

Well, I wasn't saying that in the prospect of make something you're not interested in, more along the lines of, if you feel up to it and you'd like to make it, make it. Don't hold off waiting for someone else to fill the void just to stay inside a "scope". For instance, New Glenn. If you want to add New Glenn to BDB, then do it. I know DylanSemrau has a mod of it, but his is stock-a-like and not semi-realistic like BDB. Another example would be an ESA mod in BDB style. Knes is the only ESA mod in existence, afaik anyway, but it's stock-a-like. I would love to have a BDB level ESA mod. Those are just purely examples though. ESA is far outside the US rockets and spacecraft focus on this mod.

I will admit, the incentive is a problem. You're right. But there will always be someone who has a different style or opinion on balance. And creativity often breeds other creativity. 

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

F1 was always open cycle. Dumping the exhaust into the nozzle for film cooling as the original did doesn't really count as closed cycle. The entire F-1B redesign was based around adapting the F-1 to modern production methods. In fact it would been difficult to remake the original as it was from what I understand.

Ah, gotcha. 

17 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Don't hold off waiting for someone else to fill the void just to stay inside a "scope".

Fact of the matter is most of what I'm interested in, is in BDB's scope. Its why I do this.

If there were something I desperately wanted to make that wasn't in BDB's scope I would consider making it separately. But thats just not the case for me personally right now.

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Um, ORANGES, The various Chinese rocket mods (I don't use them I don't know how good they are but they are in development) 

Might want to stick your head into https://spacedock.info/kerbal-space-program/browse/updated    

and check it out :D

A lot of modders seem to have migrated to the "Wait and See" for KSP2...     And that is Totally fine.  We will see what happens

Edited by Pappystein