[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Hey guys! So the other day I mentioned that there was a manual being worked on for BDB. Well, time has been poured into it the last couple days. While it is still far from 'done', and will have to be updated to keep up with the mod as it develops, here is the first version of the BDB manual! I am massively, eternally grateful to @DiscoSlelge, who took it upon himself to begin this project and has borne the brunt of the work in making it happen. We wanted to get a sort of alpha out for it, to get feedback from the peanut gallery. Future versions will have better compression, and be included in the BDB download.

On March 28, 2016 at 3:04 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Eh. Honestly - at this point, any solution that allows me to keep it in would be as much work as designing a new part from scratch. I think I am going to let it slide.

Thank you! Yes yes 3.75m and 5m (or whatever they wind up being) will be coming for the Saturn stuff.

... I just made a full release? If you mean the 1.0 version of BDB, well, that's Saturn/Apollo. I am not sure where you got the idea I have something up my sleeve, I have everything laid out pretty well in the roadmap, the link to which has been in the OP for about two months now and has not moved. There will probably be more things than in the roadmap, but only because I haven't found out I want to do them yet.

EDIT: I accidentally made a KH-8 using the new DMagic update.

i see your KH-8 and raise you a KH-9:

craftfile:https://www.dropbox.com/s/88qinsdkirh6as9/KH-9.craft?dl=0

needs Dmagic Science, BDB, TweakScale and AIES.

Edited by DarthVader

2 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Oh, so you're not going to update it to 1.1?

Does it need to be updated right now? I haven't even downloaded the beta yet. I'm laying in bed right now.

EDIT: At minimum I need to wait for DMSA to update before I can.

Edited by CobaltWolf

55 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Does it need to be updated right now? I haven't even downloaded the beta yet. I'm laying in bed right now.

EDIT: At minimum I need to wait for DMSA to update before I can.

Ditto for me.

Also, possible 1.1 bug. The Hermes hatch doesn't work at all in 1.1

Headscrach time! (Which I have plenty of, being a filthy peasant who bought KSP on the squad store and not steam, so what brand loyalty...-- Not playing the 1.1 preview...)

Crazy as it seems, I have a penchant for launching new careers. New mods, new scales, etc. This last run through, I am playing with the Diamant/Juno/Star Solids to start off career. So I noticed an oddity. The Sargent motors are working well. But, two things. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the HLR-008/Pioneer Kick motor, outside of utility/recreation. It seems to be outmatched by the SargentX1 all around but for size, being equal in mass but lower in fuel and thrust.

More confusingly, the two Staara-10(/20) solids seem to blow the others away entirely, on mass if nothing else. The Kick and Pioneer both have dry masses of 0.085, which is appreciably light, don't get me wrong! But, the Staaras weigh in at a mere 0.015 and 0.02 respectively. Their ISP is considerably worse, but the thrust and fuel capacity stand out to me.

I know CW hates fiddily cfg work, and I don't blame him :confused:, but I wondered if anyone else had a thought on this sort of thing. Is it just that things are getting wildly distorted at this small scale? I have no problem rebalancing parts to match personal taste, but I wasn't sure at all if the little ones need to be lighter (This is my thought) or if the big ones need to be heavier (but, what would they scale up TO?)

Anyway, late night musings. Blahhhhh :P Cheers all!

36 minutes ago, komodo said:

Headscrach time! (Which I have plenty of, being a filthy peasant who bought KSP on the squad store and not steam, so what brand loyalty...-- Not playing the 1.1 preview...)

Crazy as it seems, I have a penchant for launching new careers. New mods, new scales, etc. This last run through, I am playing with the Diamant/Juno/Star Solids to start off career. So I noticed an oddity. The Sargent motors are working well. But, two things. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the HLR-008/Pioneer Kick motor, outside of utility/recreation. It seems to be outmatched by the SargentX1 all around but for size, being equal in mass but lower in fuel and thrust.

More confusingly, the two Staara-10(/20) solids seem to blow the others away entirely, on mass if nothing else. The Kick and Pioneer both have dry masses of 0.085, which is appreciably light, don't get me wrong! But, the Staaras weigh in at a mere 0.015 and 0.02 respectively. Their ISP is considerably worse, but the thrust and fuel capacity stand out to me.

I know CW hates fiddily cfg work, and I don't blame him :confused:, but I wondered if anyone else had a thought on this sort of thing. Is it just that things are getting wildly distorted at this small scale? I have no problem rebalancing parts to match personal taste, but I wasn't sure at all if the little ones need to be lighter (This is my thought) or if the big ones need to be heavier (but, what would they scale up TO?)

Well this sounds like a project. At the very least they should probably all have the same fuel/mass ratio so they're balanced against each other mass-wise. If I had my way they would have the isp of their real world counterparts, which should lighten them considerably. The squad-alike solid isps tend to be awful. @CobaltWolf, have you been using any system at all with solids? I haven't looked under the hood on them since the Delta's so I'm not sure what the general state of affairs is.

Just now, Jso said:

Well this sounds like a project. At the very least they should probably all have the same fuel/mass ratio so they're balanced against each other mass-wise. If I had my way they would have the isp of their real world counterparts, which should lighten them considerably. The squad-alike solid isps tend to be awful. @CobaltWolf, have you been using any system at all with solids? I haven't looked under the hood on them since the Delta's so I'm not sure what the general state of affairs is.

Don't get me wrong, gameplay wise they seem fine. They're not wildly broken by any means. I just thought it odd, and was looking for ideas before I starting mashing numbers together :P

I have no idea about balancing against squad SRB values, as their stuff can be... odd at best, number-wise at least.

7 hours ago, komodo said:

6 hours ago, Jso said:

@Jso The only things that I can more or less guarantee are balanced at the fuel tanks, since you made that nice exceel worksheet where I just plug in the height and diameter of the tank. You had sheets started for the engines and solids but we moved on to other things after the worst balance issues had been resolved. I have been trying to balance the solids fuel capacity based on Squad's values, but the fuel/volume ratio of all the stock SRBs are different. 

What I'm trying to say is, the only parts I can more or less guarantee as balanced would be the fuel tanks. If anyone has suggestions for balancing the probe cores, engines, and solids, please let me know. Their values, particularly mass and price, were barely touched.

Like I said last night, my priorities for BDB have shifted towards getting the Agena stuff done now that @Beale is almost finished with his TRAILS work. The Agena Docking Port is mostly working in game but has not been UV unwrapped or textured - I have already made several edits to the mesh and colliders during testing. I've also been working on converting the shaders to specular (this is not the PBR that was delayed from 1.1, it is just making them shiny on the parts with exposed metal) and will need some feedback on whether or not they look awful. If you are testing the current BDB release in 1.1, please report issues as they come (Preferably on Github so they're automatically tracked for me) and I will address them asap. I am going to try and have something ready around the time the full 1.1 release is ready. 

Also, because it got somewhat buried:

15 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Hey guys! So the other day I mentioned that there was a manual being worked on for BDB. Well, time has been poured into it the last couple days. While it is still far from 'done', and will have to be updated to keep up with the mod as it develops, here is the first version of the BDB manual! I am massively, eternally grateful to @DiscoSlelge, who took it upon himself to begin this project and has borne the brunt of the work in making it happen. We wanted to get a sort of alpha out for it, to get feedback from the peanut gallery. Future versions will have better compression, and be included in the BDB download.

The manual is awesome! I think having the pictures in color won't break immersion.

The major cause of issues in 1.1 right now is the lack of ModuleManager working, so all your configs break. I will try to log some stuff in Github, but will wait for MM to update to see what really needs a look. I also remember a typo, but can't remember where.

Just now, akron said:

The manual is awesome! I think having the pictures in color won't break immersion.

The major cause of issues in 1.1 right now is the lack of ModuleManager working, so all your configs break. I will try to log some stuff in Github, but will wait for MM to update to see what really needs a look. I also remember a typo, but can't remember where.

Making it in grayscale (I believe it currently exports as RGB though) would make it significantly smaller though. I really wish we could just go the full NTRS route and make it black and white, so each pixel is only a single bit of information. ;) 

Yeah, don't log broken MM stuff until that gets updated. Ditto for DMSA. There are some typos and other small issues that need to get fixed.