[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

A few people 'round these parts have given this a go in KSRSS, but so far I don't think anyone has had much success. You can def get to Venus :)

1. Get KSP TOT
  2. Calculate Venus return window
  3. Launch flyby mission
  4. Forget to account for mass of snacks
  5. Slingshot around Venus into intergalactic trajectory
  6. Send rescue mission
  7. Run out of snacks
  8. Send rescue mission for rescue mission
  9. Kerbals melt from solar radiation
  10. Run goo experiment
  11. Profit...

9 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Yeah that's the "fun" part. It's my belief that there are some RL things that simply can't be replicated in KSP. Gravity assists that were used/planned in the past count on perturbations of the planets and precise alignments, some of which were once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. I think in KSP you can do gravity assists that yield similar results, but I don't think some RL solutions can be translated directly into KSP, especially not onto stock planets. Even RSS wouldn't be exactly the same since the planets are on rails, there's no axial tilt for Earth, etc.

Here's an image I remembered I had:

cYPD7TX.png

A few people 'round these parts have given this a go in KSRSS, but so far I don't think anyone has had much success. You can def get to Venus :)

With Principia and the latest version of KSRSS(from gitlab) it should be fairly easy to replicate this in KSP. In RSS, people have already done this(see the "Reach" YT channel for some amazing examples). Principia models all the relevant n-body perturbations as well as axial tilt, so you can try it out and see if it works for you. It isn't easy though, there's quite a steep learning curve, as there are no assist planners in Principia; everything has to be done manually.

3 hours ago, Friznit said:

1. Get KSP TOT

Galactic trajectories aside, this really is the right first step. I definitely took this step myself. Or tried. KSPTOT is probably a brilliant tool but my brain is way too smooth for it, and I found it impenetrable.  Womp.

But someone should be able to do this ... for someone it should be fairly easy, I'm told.

3 hours ago, DA299 said:
12 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

cYPD7TX.png

With Principia and the latest version of KSRSS(from gitlab) it should be fairly easy to replicate this in KSP. In RSS, people have already done this(see the "Reach" YT channel for some amazing examples). Principia models all the relevant n-body perturbations as well as axial tilt, so you can try it out and see if it works for you. It isn't easy though, there's quite a steep learning curve, as there are no assist planners in Principia; everything has to be done manually.

I don't use Principia. The Gemini exploded even after using the transtage and deorbit motors to brake (which was the first thing I tried). It wasn't enough to prevent it from blowing up. I did use half of the transtage fuel to get a Kerbin encounter.

The G-forces were also crazy, reaching up to 17+ Gs during reentry, but I have the setting in which Kerbals don't pass out. I also used MechJeb for the Eve encounter.

Edited by Richmountain112

6 hours ago, Friznit said:
  1. Get KSP TOT
  2. Calculate Venus return window
  3. Launch flyby mission
  4. Forget to account for mass of snacks
  5. Slingshot around Venus into intergalactic trajectory
  6. Send rescue mission
  7. Run out of snacks
  8. Send rescue mission for rescue mission
  9. Kerbals melt from solar radiation
  10. Run goo experiment
  11. Profit...

12. Play Ground Control to Major Jeb

On 6/19/2023 at 2:32 PM, Foxxonius Augustus said:

It has long been true but it's worth reiterating for those who haven't realized it yet. This is the third largest thread on the KSP forums. Only the spacex fanboy thread and the what did you do in KSP today tread are longer. This mod, this community and it's authors and architects might just be the single biggest contribution to KSP as a whole after the original devs. Congratulations on 1200 pages of history and development and discussion and here's to 1200 more!

Thank you Foxx, and everyone else, for the well wishes on this landmark (?) achievement. I'm so glad to know how much joy this project has brought people, so many of whom I've never even met. This September will mark 8 years of working on BDB - more than 1/4 of my life. It's honestly been worth every moment, and we have no plans of stopping any time soon.

Now, I was planning on having some really cool Viking Orbiter previews by now, but I didn't get as far as I'd wanted. Work has been pretty crazy lately and taken a lot out of me. Then back in May my car got totaled, and last week my phone got bricked, and now as of yesterday we have bed bugs in our apartment. That's not even half of it the stuff that's been going on the last few months, and things have been taking a lot of energy, time, and money I don't really have. Sooooo... I guess now is as good a time as any to do my annual plug of the BDB donation pages! You can do one-time donations through my Paypal donation link, and recurring donations can be made through the BDB Patreon (I don't have time to do Patreon-exclusive content, it's just if you want to help support the me). There are some expenses I associate with BDB - mainly software and subscriptions - and keeping those numbers up helps make sure I'm not paying for the time I spend on this. And if people are extra generous, maybe it will help keep me and my wife on track with saving for our honeymoon. :)

I can see there has been a lot of discussion since my last post (4 pages?), I will have to come back later today and reply to as many specific posts as I can. In the meantime, here's the current progress on Viking. I was hoping to have the solar panels, antennas, and core at least fully textured. There's still a lot of wiring to be added to all these parts.

HLaef0j.png

Dut01QW.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

3 hours ago, Entr8899 said:
4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

and now as of yesterday we have bed bugs in our apartment.

Oh my god, that's terrible. I had to deal with a carpet beetle infestation once but I can't even imagine how horrible bed bugs must be.

I used to have lots of mosquitoes in my house until it was remodeled. Had some standing water which is a mosquito breeding ground. Always check for standing water.

Very quick. First off, late congrats on 1200+ pages. I look forward to the future of this mod!
Second, I didn't want to post it here because it doesn't use BDB parts. The largest (and currently last) version of Celestial, Celestial Ultra.

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Thank you Foxx, and everyone else, for the well wishes on this landmark (?) achievement. I'm so glad to know how much joy this project has brought people, so many of whom I've never even met. This September will mark 8 years of working on BDB - more than 1/4 of my life. It's honestly been worth every moment, and we have no plans of stopping any time soon.

Now, I was planning on having some really cool Viking Orbiter previews by now, but I didn't get as far as I'd wanted. Work has been pretty crazy lately and taken a lot out of me. Then back in May my car got totaled, and last week my phone got bricked, and now as of yesterday we have bed bugs in our apartment. That's not even half of it the stuff that's been going on the last few months, and things have been taking a lot of energy, time, and money I don't really have. Sooooo... I guess now is as good a time as any to do my annual plug of the BDB donation pages! You can do one-time donations through my Paypal donation link, and recurring donations can be made through the BDB Patreon (I don't have time to do Patreon-exclusive content, it's just if you want to help support the me). There are some expenses I associate with BDB - mainly software and subscriptions - and keeping those numbers up helps make sure I'm not paying for the time I spend on this. And if people are extra generous, maybe it will help keep me and my wife on track with saving for our honeymoon. :)

I can see there has been a lot of discussion since my last post (4 pages?), I will have to come back later today and reply to as many specific posts as I can. In the meantime, here's the current progress on Viking. I was hoping to have the solar panels, antennas, and core at least fully textured. There's still a lot of wiring to be added to all these parts.

HLaef0j.png

Dut01QW.png

viking looks stunning @CobaltWolf good job

15 hours ago, JebTheDestroyer said:

Try KSP Multiple Gravity Assist Planner: https://krafpy.github.io/KSP-MGA-Planner/

That is cool for a few specific planet packs, but not all are supported.   The KSP TOT  mod (which I have never got working right) is Planet Pack agnostic, meaning it takes the data from KSP to plan things instead of using lookup tables like the website.   So if you are using KSRSS 2.7, you can use it to do an Earth, Mars, and Venus flyby. 

3 hours ago, Pappystein said:

That is cool for a few specific planet packs, but not all are supported.   The KSP TOT  mod (which I have never got working right) is Planet Pack agnostic, meaning it takes the data from KSP to plan things instead of using lookup tables like the website.   So if you are using KSRSS 2.7, you can use it to do an Earth, Mars, and Venus flyby. 

Principia is genuinely easier for multiple gravity assists than stock orbital dynamics. The only downside is the learning curve and the fact that you have to start a new save.

I know I'm late, but I found time to celebrate 1200 pages properly.
Say hello to my next direct ascent project, DA-1261A (Direct Ascent Model of 12/1961, variant A).
uM6U5Rp.png
nJIii5k.png
RoaKulD.png
6YgkKjO.png
pAjVjt0.png
678xF5y.png
vybMThY.png
3Qd6O13.png
Still WIP. Also as you might see in the pictures, it has MORE than enough Delta V to land, liftoff, and even reinsert into Kerbin orbit. And it hasn't been attached to Nova yet...
And yes I have the docking port. I feel like I need a docking port, just in case.

51 minutes ago, Blufor878 said:

Say hello to my next direct ascent project, DA-1261A (Direct Ascent Model of 12/1961, variant A).

What mod did you get those cool landing legs from?

10 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

uM6U5Rp.png
nJIii5k.png
RoaKulD.png
6YgkKjO.png
pAjVjt0.png
678xF5y.png
vybMThY.png
3Qd6O13.png
Still WIP. Also as you might see in the pictures, it has MORE than enough Delta V to land, liftoff, and even reinsert into Kerbin orbit. And it hasn't been attached to Nova yet...
And yes I have the docking port. I feel like I need a docking port, just in case.

12/61 it wouldn't have been attached to NOVA,    It would have been attached to the S-IVC Train in orbit by multiple Saturn C-2 / C-3 launches (34).   Yes,  Nova was an option... If NASA wanted to push back to 1973-75 for a first targeted moon landing :D   And yes The 34 Saturn C series launches was CHEAPER :D

That all being said,  NICE BUILD!

Edited by Pappystein

11 hours ago, Pappystein said:

12/61 it wouldn't have been attached to NOVA,    It would have been attached to the S-IVC Train in orbit by multiple Saturn C-2 / C-3 launches (34).   Yes,  Nova was an option... If NASA wanted to push back to 1973-75 for a first targeted moon landing :D   And yes The 34 Saturn C series launches was CHEAPER :D

That all being said,  NICE BUILD!

First, thank you! 

Second, I have enough stuff in orbit/the mun on my Saturn V save (yes I have a save/company devoted solely to Saturn derivatives, trust me it gets worse). I don’t think my pc could handle 30+ SIV pusher stages in orbit at the same time ON TOP of everything else.

I’m just gonna stick with Nova for now. Also helps that Kerbol physics is easier to manage…

Edited by Blufor878