[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Minuteman IA/IB kitbash. Because Cobalt is too stubborn to finish off the family. JK! :P

I call it a Minuteman IA and IB kitbash because MM IA and IB were practically the same vehicle. The only difference was the main stage on the IB was an E1 variant instead of an A1 variant. I personally don't know what the difference is between them, but I'm sure it's avionics or a different style of grain used for the solid fuel, or something like that. I'm sure @Pappystein will enlighten us all with the correct information. Walking Wikipedia they are.  :D

I guess this could also be considered a Minuteman II Kitbash, as well as a MSLS-A and OSP-TLV Kitbash. 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

tVaYFA9.png

ZJ4UE5n.png

15h5Jom.png

uaHDN5f.png

99GZsEr.png

Nah,  @Pappystein's better than wikipedia.

On 7/15/2022 at 3:38 AM, akron said:

As teased/hinted over the past couple of weeks and most recently announced over on my ProbesPlus Mod thread, I will be collaborating with the rest of the BDB team to add some more probe parts to the collection, as well as update/remake some that I made for my mod and are showing a little age now.  So, in short, happy to be here and looking forward to getting some new probe parts for you guys alongside Invaderchaos.

First and main order of business: Viking

I have resumed Viking mission development and will be merging and bringing it to BDB. For those who haven't seen it or at least not recently or forgot it existed because I started 27 years ago, here is the latest progress:

<These are untextured 3D renders>

yDfj9H0.png

Z6cQ5d9.png

VtaRDVo.png

yUF5HC1.png

1EqqXQ0.png

v2hRjTm.png

Please bear in mind that this is a very complex spacecraft and I'm a little rusty. I appreciate your patience but we'll get it out to you as soon as we can.  Since I had to transfer to a new computer, I had to fix a few glitches and redo some lost work. Currently, the bus is getting a decent overhaul to more closely match the flight model. Some of the electronics and wiring was redone. Up next are landing gear improvements and heatshield/aeroshell guides and fixing/completing the propellant system. At some point I'll take a pass to see if it's too detailed for reasonable KSP use, but I hope to keep it fairly "dope".

Again, I am thankful and looking forward to the opportunity to bring you this and hopefully other cool parts soon.

~cheers

Hi @CobaltWolf
I know you have adopted the Viking lander model by Akron, are you continuing to finish it? Will the Viking orbiter be released alone?

thanks!

52 minutes ago, zw_45 said:

Hi @CobaltWolf
I know you have adopted the Viking lander model by Akron, are you continuing to finish it? Will the Viking orbiter be released alone?

thanks!

Work is continuing on Viking. The Orbiter components are ready to go in game (indeed - I've already started getting their cfgs together), and the lander itself is almost completely modeled. Still a lot of work to go, but we are definitely getting a Viking in BDB. :)

15 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Work is continuing on Viking. The Orbiter components are ready to go in game (indeed - I've already started getting their cfgs together), and the lander itself is almost completely modeled. Still a lot of work to go, but we are definitely getting a Viking in BDB. :)

Just getting excited

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

soo 1.13 it will be in right along with free IVA configs for BDB 

Minuteman LFUS (Liquid Fueled Upper Stage). I couldn't find any information on the LFUS for the Minuteman, but Agena, Ablestar and Delta-Ablestar all fit on top, so I went with the big boy. The Lunar Orbiter was just a fun dummy payload to put on it. Obviously, this doesn't have the power to get to the Mun.  And I'm sure @Pappystein has a paper or two laying around about the LFUS, or at the very least proposed concepts for LFUS. 

Disclaimer: I made up the acronym LFUS just so I could shorthand it. 

Ckg5MQ1.png

6Y6uZv2.png

COka3QH.png

Cjnmdm9.png

On 8/9/2023 at 2:42 AM, GoldForest said:

Minuteman IA/IB kitbash. Because Cobalt is too stubborn to finish off the family. JK! :P

I call it a Minuteman IA and IB kitbash because MM IA and IB were practically the same vehicle. The only difference was the main stage on the IB was an E1 variant instead of an A1 variant. I personally don't know what the difference is between them, but I'm sure it's avionics or a different style of grain used for the solid fuel, or something like that. I'm sure @Pappystein will enlighten us all with the correct information. Walking Wikipedia they are.  :D

I guess this could also be considered a Minuteman II Kitbash, as well as a MSLS-A and OSP-TLV Kitbash. 

tVaYFA9.png

ZJ4UE5n.png

15h5Jom.png

uaHDN5f.png

99GZsEr.png

Minuteman IA engines have a design fault... it was partially fixed in Minuteman IB... It was mostly Fixed in Minuteman II and it was FINALLY fixed in Minuteman III.

Quad engine nozzles for steering purposes on these early SRMS were a BAD IDEA is the short issue.  

Minuteman IA has about 2/3rds of the designed range with a 50% reliability
Minuteman IB has about 90% designed range (same fuel grain, just reinforced nozzles on all 3 primary stages.)  Reliability extended to about 75% at construction time and 95% by re-engining throughout the life of the Minuteman IB's service
Minuteman II has 110% of the designed range, Is 82% reliable at construction.   And finally meets all requirements.  Again as re-engining happens throughout its life, the reliability gets up into the high 95-98% range.   New Second stage at this point IIRC (or is it the 3rd stage is new? Gah early morning brain farts)
Minuteman III with new 2nd and 3rd stages allows for MIRV warheads and is well above quality requirements as laid out in the contracts.

I have an incomplete article on the Minuteman/Minotaurs, But the problem is due to the Nuclear nature of the original Rockets, there is not a lot of good... RELIABLE source materials I can use.    Further, Because most of the Minotaur rockets are for "secret" launches it further complicates getting Post ICBM use information on these fine launch vehicles.

I may just have to publish it with caveats that the article is based on low reliability sources due to secret nature of things....   :shrug:  

Edited by Pappystein

15 hours ago, kspbutitscursed said:

Sooooo actually I think we are going to push the 1.13 release tomorrow.  No Viking but we realized we are sitting on a bunch of content from earlier this year and wanted to get it into the release build before going back to the big projects we’ve started (Viking, Atlas, Voyager). That would include MORL, Kepler, Surveyor, Helios, Pegasus, Minotaur, and Taurus.

Are the FreeIVA cfgs on the dev branch? I don’t think I’ve used them. 

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

Sooooo actually I think we are going to push the 1.13 release tomorrow.  No Viking but we realized we are sitting on a bunch of content from earlier this year and wanted to get it into the release build before going back to the big projects we’ve started (Viking, Atlas, Voyager). That would include MORL, Kepler, Surveyor, Helios, Pegasus, Minotaur, and Taurus.

15 hours ago, kspbutitscursed said:

yup freeIVA configs and new IVAs will be in the 1.13 release. There are some LM derivatives that have basic placeholder IVA textures, they will be done properly at some point.

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Ok viking 1.14 then

12 hours ago, Zorg said:

yup freeIVA configs and new IVAs will be in the 1.13 release. There are some LM derivatives that have basic placeholder IVA textures, they will be done properly at some point.

wait what kind of IVA's a new one for the Apollo CM and derivitives. BC i remember someone saying that yo will add new IVA's for the CM 

Thank you guys for creating such an amazing mod i seriously do love this mod along with a couple of others you guys work make me so inspired to try to learn how to mod ksp 1 

thanks 

KBIC

Edited by kspbutitscursed

2 hours ago, kspbutitscursed said:

wait what kind of IVA's a new one for the Apollo CM and derivitives. BC i remember someone saying that yo will add new IVA's for the CM 

Thank you guys for creating such an amazing mod i seriously do love this mod along with a couple of others you guys work make me so inspired to try to learn how to mod ksp 1 

thanks 

KBIC

The historical CM and LM already have very nice new IVAs made by @Rodger. The upcoming new IVAs are ones very kindly modelled for us by freeIVA developer @JonnyOThan and cover pretty much all the remaining crewed parts that didnt have IVAs including a couple of MOL parts and all the skylab bits other than the main workshop (which was already done internally). Jonny isnt really into texturing though so I did the textures for most of these and added props to them.

I just didnt have time yet to re-texture the IVAs for the advanced LM stuff like SHELab etc. So those parts have placeholder textures. I'll try to get to them soon, maybe when I need a break from Atlas which is proving to be a difficult project.

New Skylab European Research module IVA

screen_2560x1440_2023-04-10_19-16-03.png

New Skylab MDA iva. Theres plenty of others but these two are the most interesting probably.

screen_2560x1440_2023-04-10_01-09-42.png

6 hours ago, oniontrain said:

Will that be pushed to CKAN or is it github only?

As usual once a new official release is out it will be pushed to CKAN, any new in development parts will then go into a development branch on github until they too are ready for an official release.

17 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Happy to see Voyager 1/2 is on the list. Would you add parts for the conceptual design of Voyager? Like the pioneer orbiter in BDB

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19750012367/downloads/19750012367.pdf

Edited by zw_45

19 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yep!  We might want to do a final run-through to make sure everything still works in there, it’s been a while. 

12 hours ago, kspbutitscursed said:

10 hours ago, Zorg said:

The historical CM and LM already have very nice new IVAs made by @Rodger. The upcoming new IVAs are ones very kindly modelled for us by freeIVA developer @JonnyOThan and cover pretty much all the remaining crewed parts that didnt have IVAs including a couple of MOL parts and all the skylab bits other than the main workshop (which was already done internally). Jonny isnt really into texturing though so I did the textures for most of these and added props to them.

Need to step in and manage expectations - we do NOT have new IVAs for the CM or related parts. Rodger started on one but it wasn't finished. Just to clear the air there! :) Hopefully some day.

9 hours ago, zw_45 said:

Happy to see Voyager 1/2 is on the list. Would you add parts for the conceptual design of Voyager?

I don't know what conceptual Voyager variants there are, but I'm sure @Invaderchaos is planning on going as hard as he did for the Pioneer variants.

https://imgur.com/a/di9pyvp

This doesn't use all that many BDB parts, but it's a (semi) recreation of the LSAM from For All Mankind. I think an LSAM would be great to add to this mod, and even a full one isn't added, I'd like there to be more extra parts for the LEM, like its dish antennas, ascent stage tanks, or even just the forward cylindrical part of the ascent stage! It would allow for more kitbashing, and I believe it would be a great addition.

1 hour ago, CompetitiveSpycrab said:

https://imgur.com/a/di9pyvp

This doesn't use all that many BDB parts, but it's a (semi) recreation of the LSAM from For All Mankind. I think an LSAM would be great to add to this mod, and even a full one isn't added, I'd like there to be more extra parts for the LEM, like its dish antennas, ascent stage tanks, or even just the forward cylindrical part of the ascent stage! It would allow for more kitbashing, and I believe it would be a great addition.

Tbh I’ve never been a huge fan of the LSAM as it doesn’t have  the fuel tank volume as a hydrolox spacecraft for what it’s supposed to do (which wouldn't work in BDB balancing). I think as far as FAM is concerned the original Jamestown module is very cool though. 

Edited by Zorg