[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Early access VIKING... orbiter. Yay! 

I, still, suck at doing planetary transfers, so a little cheating was utilized to get Viking Orbiter around Duna. 

Also, I know this is super early and the configs are very copy paste, but a few things I noted. Please ignore if these are known issues:

Spoiler

-Solar panels don't produce any EC
-Viking Orbiter engine slowly overheats for burns lasting a long time.
-The bioshield decoupler decouples from the bottom and not the top. 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

tmBUnAY.png

ls3qfDY.png

nDWBv8O.png

gAAkQsz.png

IcywGFt.png

rOiFZvR.png

Edited by GoldForest

So how does Kepler's unknown object tracker work, besides mimicking the tracking station's asteroid tracking feature? I mean, why does it automatically target Duna, and how can I change the target, if possible?

Actually, also curious if this was a real historical use for Kepler?

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

Im gonna guess its Bella TU. It might not be up to date with the foil switch.

2 hours ago, Rodger said:

Replace the config file in Bella_TU/AgenaUnlimited with this file, should fix it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--AR6JqLVU1xZATKRuTJrO12Ww08WjTR/view?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, BlackDinoShadows said:

I think it's a problem with the Bella_TU mod because it's not updated for the 1.13 , so maybe the creator will correct this or not.

(thanks Rodger for the patch).

Thanks all.

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Early access VIKING... orbiter. Yay! 

Also, I know this is super early and the configs are very copy paste, but a few things I noted. Please ignore if these are known issues:

-Solar panels don't produce any EC
-Viking Orbiter engine slowly overheats for burns lasting a long time.
-The bioshield decoupler decouples from the bottom and not the top. 

Heh, I didn't even think it got uploaded - I was having trouble with creating a new branch last night.

Ironic that you said they were copy paste - I put a lot of work into making them more polished than my normal uploads. There's still work to be done on them - that's just as far as I got last night before having to go to sleep.

Thanks for the heads up on the solars, I hadn't gotten around to checking them, or the engine. The bioshield decoupler should decouple from the bottom - it's used to jettison itself and the bottom of the bioshield once the lander has done its thing.

Edited by CobaltWolf

38 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Heh, I didn't even think it got uploaded - I was having trouble with creating a new branch last night.

Ironic that you said they were copy paste - I put a lot of work into making them more polished than my normal uploads. There's still work to be done on them - that's just as far as I got last night before having to go to sleep.

Thanks for the heads up on the solars, I hadn't gotten around to checking them, or the engine. The bioshield decoupler should decouple from the bottom - it's used to jettison itself and the bottom of the bioshield once the lander has done its thing.

Lol. Well, you always say your copy and pasting configs, so I figured this time was no different. 

No problem. And ah, I didn't know.

33 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Lol. Well, you always say your copy and pasting configs, so I figured this time was no different. 

No problem. And ah, I didn't know.

Yeah mostly just meant that I forced myself to actually update the names/descriptions before pushing them, haha

Just reinstalling an old friend. I just learned that SRB Waterfall has been renamed RSMP, and no longer needs TUFX as a requirement.
LUz8nYy.png
GM4MJKB.png
HnL5lin.png
SLm6B40.png
r7HvJTl.png

Edit: I've noticed one issue where the SRB1200 series boosters aren't making any sound when RSMP is installed. I already posted on that thread but wanted to mention it here too in case. Still very pretty though!

Edited by Blufor878

Shuttle/Agena study. Volume 2, part 1: Program requirements, conclusions, recommendations - NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS)

Shuttle/Agena study. Volume 2, part 2: Agena tug configurations, Shuttle/Agena interface, performance, safety, cost - NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS)

19720013176.pdf (nasa.gov)

19720013177.pdf (nasa.gov)

Shuttle Agena. Surprised it's not in game. It uses a new model of the 8XXX engine called the 8247. There are also various models including a short and fat Agena. Solar panels would be attached to a tug version. Lots of stuff. 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

lB5i088.png

dR1PEo9.png

Erts5xY.png

1WCYvXs.png

Edited by GoldForest

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Shuttle Agena. Surprised it's not in game. It uses a new model of the 8XXX engine called the 8247. There are also various models including a short and fat Agena. Solar panels would be attached to a tug version. Lots of stuff.

The two Agena engine variants with the big black radiative extensions are from the Shuttle Agena studies. I didn't make new tankage for them since that would have been a whole project itself, plus the SOT Agena was cooler. :)

35 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

The two Agena engine variants with the big black radiative extensions are from the Shuttle Agena studies. I didn't make new tankage for them since that would have been a whole project itself, plus the SOT Agena was cooler. :)

Hmm. From what I can tell, 8247 used a short nozzle and not a extended nozzle. 

I'm also more talking about the other hardware, like fat and short Agena along with the shuttle agena solar panel. Plus the tug hardware.

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Probably on the "too early" train, but thought I'd ask about the very low Viking TWR ...

WdrccKe.jpg

Viking orbiter uses a single RS-2101 engine derived from minuteman postboost vehicle thruster. The max thrust is 1.39kN in reality. So the TWR should be that low.

Edited by zw_45

So I was on a road trip earlier this week to Michigan to see my family. On the way back I stopped at the Armstrong Air & Space Museum in Wapakoneta, Ohio. I had not been there since I was a kid so I was interested to go back. The museum was well done and maintained and had some interesting artifacts.

FVQAwkF.jpeg

This is Armstrong's suit from the Gemini 8 mission. Other than being a bit faded it is extremely well preserved. It looks as if he wore it yesterday.

tYEcs5t.jpeg

This is the Gemini 8 spacecraft that Neil and Dave Scott flew to the first successful docking in space. Jim Lovell once said that it was like two men living in the front seat of a Volkswagen. I can see why! The two ejection seats really did take up a lot of space that could have been used for other purposes. I tried to imagine how this would have looked if it was a Gemini B with the hatch in the heatshield between the seats, then thought about how an astronaut would have had to contort themselves in order to get out of the seat and through the hatch...

SWZMiVn.jpeg

The biggest surprise was the parachute bridle trough between the hatches. I was surprised by the rough edges that you can see here. Closer inspection showed it to be a ceramic material. I believe this was used because it could protect the riser lines from the heat of reentry. When the crew pressed the button to go to the two point suspension, two metal bridle legs broke through the ceramic cover and deployed with the parachute risers. The two bridle legs were still barely visible folded up inside the trough. 

The plexiglass case near the bottom of the picture covers an umbilical disconnect to the retrograde section. The pyros that cut the cable did not do so neatly, the edges of the cables were pretty jagged, but it obviously did the job adequately.

It was a cool experience and a thrill to see a piece of our spaceflight heritage. If you are ever in central Ohio, I recommend that you stop at this museum. 

2 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

So I was on a road trip earlier this week to Michigan to see my family. On the way back I stopped at the Armstrong Air & Space Museum in Wapakoneta, Ohio. I had not been there since I was a kid so I was interested to go back. The museum was well done and maintained and had some interesting artifacts.

FVQAwkF.jpeg

This is Armstrong's suit from the Gemini 8 mission. Other than being a bit faded it is extremely well preserved. It looks as if he wore it yesterday.

tYEcs5t.jpeg

This is the Gemini 8 spacecraft that Neil and Dave Scott flew to the first successful docking in space. Jim Lovell once said that it was like two men living in the front seat of a Volkswagen. I can see why! The two ejection seats really did take up a lot of space that could have been used for other purposes. I tried to imagine how this would have looked if it was a Gemini B with the hatch in the heatshield between the seats, then thought about how an astronaut would have had to contort themselves in order to get out of the seat and through the hatch...

SWZMiVn.jpeg

The biggest surprise was the parachute bridle trough between the hatches. I was surprised by the rough edges that you can see here. Closer inspection showed it to be a ceramic material. I believe this was used because it could protect the riser lines from the heat of reentry. When the crew pressed the button to go to the two point suspension, two metal bridle legs broke through the ceramic cover and deployed with the parachute risers. The two bridle legs were still barely visible folded up inside the trough. 

The plexiglass case near the bottom of the picture covers an umbilical disconnect to the retrograde section. The pyros that cut the cable did not do so neatly, the edges of the cables were pretty jagged, but it obviously did the job adequately.

It was a cool experience and a thrill to see a piece of our spaceflight heritage. If you are ever in central Ohio, I recommend that you stop at this museum. 

Ah yes the gemini mission that went on wild trip through space.