[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, Adventures said:

Cool! May I ask if you have an ETA for when this & the new Atlas will be on Github?

No, sorry. Once you start seeing screenshots of stuff in game, we'll be close. :) Both part sets have a lot more left to do than it might seem.

On 3/28/2024 at 8:50 AM, CobaltWolf said:

6EqyYd5.png

Sorry if this has already been answered but is there a list of planned parts for the X-15, are you going to make an XLR11 or the external fuel tanks X-15A-2?

Just now, zakkpaz said:

Sorry if this has already been answered but is there a list of planned parts for the X-15, are you going to make an XLR11 or the external fuel tanks X-15A-2?

Yes, you will be able to fly the flown configurations plus a couple more treats.

19 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yes, you will be able to fly the flown configurations plus a couple more treats.

Will we have a Navaho or something similar to launch it, or is that something for us to kitbash lol.

7 minutes ago, Pudgemountain said:

Will we have a Navaho or something similar to launch it, or is that something for us to kitbash lol.

Launching it will be up to the user, I'm sure you all will come up with some weird ideas and make me uncomfortable.

Due to not being able to send Kerbals to space yet in my career and I need more science and funding I decided to build a Surveyor and land it on Scar.

I honestly wanted to use a Atlas Centaur but i do not have Centaur unlocked. That and the Surveyor would throw a Blackstone rocket off balanced. Third reason is I don't have enough funding for the VAB so I am stuck with the 30 part limit.

So Welcome the Atlas-Arrow.

20240328185308_1_by_pudgemountain_dh52ecq-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDUyZWNxLTM0ZDQyM2YwLWRhZmUtNDVkMi1hNGJhLTA2NzkzYjhlZGU4Yy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.VMVQiTqFjkf8ZpB0_HBOA-bBRx6h6keSvYh-VnG6CFY

20240328185339_1_by_pudgemountain_dh52ee9-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDUyZWU5LWY4ZmY2NTg3LWU5YjQtNDUwNC05MTZjLTJiZTE5MzY5OTY2Yy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.KvjAVKtFte3uJL8IA7nndOMROO9O4vJZHu9VxVFnkFE

Bonus Cookie for those who get the tongue in cheek joke with the insignia.

20240328185441_1_by_pudgemountain_dh52edx-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDUyZWR4LTNiOWRmZmM4LWM2MmUtNDFkYS04OGIxLTlhZmFlY2Y2OGIzZC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.kWhQ5BOh0ONrIELLZD2rqV7aMSqAmaX2EiEK2FvOk2g

20240328190030_1_by_pudgemountain_dh52edp-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDUyZWRwLTMzODQzNmRmLThjMzctNGNkZS1hZGY1LTExZjljYzgyZTAyZi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.ShtO13izKBeZ5ojZ58r_v4eraDAvkKU8fm9EvI7r5vQ

20240328191407_1_by_pudgemountain_dh52edl-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDUyZWRsLTk1NjgzZDE1LTM4MDctNDY3ZS1iM2QyLTNlZDdjNDgxMDE2NS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.kuEIhgoIYF0yhUwHHzRNxkp9VnamjOUQlk05pJpvoIc

I actually removed the SRB from the Surveyor mainly to cut back on part limits but also with the Precursor planet pack, you don't need it to land on Scar.

20240328191738_1_by_pudgemountain_dh52edh-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDUyZWRoLWMzYmVmMTI1LTEzZmQtNGFkYS05NjM1LTBhZDU0YmViZDAxYi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.2PzxiWB434oQHYDsi0XKVlga4X0vf9l16b7IiPE5hXk

Good news is we safely landed on Scar.

20240328192225_1_by_pudgemountain_dh52ed6-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDUyZWQ2LWYwOGVmZmY5LTE1M2EtNDcwZS04MzhlLTZhZTE0NDc3MDRmMC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.JCwJMMO1fcBV4pY_nK5XqLXGa16inBZVgezo6ZtgSfY

Bad News is we landed on the side a mountain.

20240328192711_1_by_pudgemountain_dh52ecx-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDUyZWN4LWE5ZGUwN2U2LTRjNzYtNGJiZi05ODU5LTZlZGRlMWNlY2JmZC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.mFKoOOFdBO7ireFrSKOFtufdRh9wN_wwTmG_EAECCCM

Do I recommend slapping the Black Arrow onto an Atlas and then slap a Surveyor to.....HELL NO! That thing was highly unstable and I barely had enough Delta V to leave Frontier.

@CobaltWolf
I think the most suitable air launch platform for X15 would be C5M by RogerWang, but the wing does not have enough space to hang the rocket below, so I can only carry it on top of the fuselage like a space shuttle. I'm wondering if you can make a top mounted X15 decoupler to add some kitbash ability.
UhR5bH4.pngGWCJzFo.pngKqty7JV.png

Edited by zw_45

1 hour ago, zw_45 said:

@CobaltWolf
I think the most suitable air launch platform for X15 would be C5M by RogerWang, but the wing does not have enough space to hang the rocket below, so I can only carry it on top of the fuselage like a space shuttle. I'm wondering if you can make a top mounted X15 decoupler to add some kitbash ability.

OMG, your C-5 looks great! :o

17 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Launching it will be up to the user, I'm sure you all will come up with some weird ideas and make me uncomfortable.

Does an X-15 atop a Nova make you uncomfortable? :P

What about X-15 underslung on the Space Shuttle's wing? 

Or perhaps an X-15 strapped to the booster of the Soyuz?

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Actually, the Navaho booster looks a lot like a Soyuz strap-on booster. :lol:

14 hours ago, zw_45 said:

@CobaltWolf

Where can I get the C5?

6 hours ago, GoldForest said:

What about X-15 IN the Shuttle's cargobay? :P

3 hours ago, hellothere___ said:

i downloaded this mod and dependencies, and my game is lagging like crazy now. any non essential dependencies?

I'm curious as to how much RAM your PC has. Mine has around 16GB RAM, and I'd consider that to be on the low end for a demanding game as even baseline KSP. (If you're curious and/or don't know better, know that exceeding your RAM capacity would usually cause your system to have to use data storage to make up for its shortcomings, which may very well result in a slower, laggier gameplay experience.)

I'm also curious as to how big (in MB or GB) your GameData folder on your KSP installation is. Personally, I'd be uncomfortable at having a GameData folder that's at least 20GB large (and have once had a GameData folder that was at least 45GB large before I had to do some massive mod pruning).

Oh, and for the record, the Bluedog Design Bureau (or BDB) is, by far, the largest parts pack available on CKAN, at a massive 2GB in size (whereas many other parts packs rarely exceed 100MB in size). If, like me, you're only here for newer gameplay experiences (such as provided by, say, TAC Life Support, Konstruction, advanced engines that would blow even Ion Drives out of the water in terms of isp, or even just new science experiments), then you may want to cut out this mod (or at least the parts that you wouldn't care much for, such as all those spacecraft replicas).

I’m having problems reaching orbit with Mercury-Atlas in KSRSS Reborn (2.5x):

- LV-3B  + Mercury Crew Module (https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Atlas)
- PVG (mechjeb): 28.29 inc, 0.5/s pitch rate @ 50m/s. Periapsis is set to 80km.
-  Booster Skirt Jettison: I have experimented with 3.3, 3.5 and 4g via auto jettison, and tried manually staging roughly @ 4 TWR as per the chart (https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Atlas-Payload-Performance)

The closest I have gotten is a sub-orbital trajectory to Congo, and the biggest factor regarding performance seems to be the timing of the staging. 

Any tips? / Will Atlas update affect performance?

Edited by editor99

23 minutes ago, editor99 said:

I’m having problems reaching orbit with Mercury-Atlas in KSRSS Reborn (2.5x):

Here's what works for me. Engines are -5 variants. Booster skirt auto @ 3.7g, PVG 120k Pe, no Q limiting. launching from the Cape so 28deg. For me the booster skirt separates at about 35k, surface vel ~1190km/s. The tower goes shortly after skirt sep, ~ 40km.  At that point my TTA is about 1:30.  Highest Ap shown is about 126km. I hit 120x120km in appx 4:22, with appx 432m/s remaining.

I would definitely try 120km or 130km and see if that improves things for you. PVG is very sensitive to certain parameters with certain builds, and I think 80km is too low for it to perform well.

12 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Here's what works for me. Engines are -5 variants. Booster skirt auto @ 3.7g, PVG 120k Pe, no Q limiting. launching from the Cape so 28deg. For me the booster skirt separates at about 35k, surface vel ~1190km/s. The tower goes shortly after skirt sep, ~ 40km.  At that point my TTA is about 1:30.  Highest Ap shown is about 126km. I hit 120x120km in appx 4:22, with appx 432m/s remaining.

I would definitely try 120km or 130km and see if that improves things for you. PVG is very sensitive to certain parameters with certain builds, and I think 80km is too low for it to perform well.

I agree about PVG. If you set the orbital parameters too low for the power of your rocket, PVG does some weird stuff, like excessive pitch down and nearly horizontal flight at 20km. I use classic ascent and have no issues getting to orbit on 2.5x KSRSS with the BDB Mercury Atlas. 

I have found over literally hundreds of launch attempts that MechJeb PVG has two pitch maneuvers during first stage flight on the ride uphill. The first one is shortly after leaving the pad based on your inputs. The second will come higher up, typically in the 15-25km range. If the 2nd pitch maneuver is excessive, resulting in nearly horizontal flight or actual below horizon flight, your apoapsis  (aka apogee) parameter is too low for your rocket. I saw this a lot while developing an Excel spreadsheet for optimal launch profiles for the BDB Saturn IB. 

I set the Atlas booster jettison at 4g for nearly every flight and I get acceptable performance. @Friznit has a table of Atlas performance on his BDB Wiki if you want truly dialed in performance. 

16 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I use classic ascent and ...

Using EngineIgnitor for a few months ruined me forever - I can't un-know that the sustainer has a single ignition, making PVG a must. Now I'm stuck and still use PVG even when I don't have engineIgnitor installed.   *accepts nerd award*

I've also noticed on my system that leaving the skirt on for too long compounds the shallow ascent issue, but getting rid of it a little earlier adjusts the angle upwards around the same time as that 2nd pitch phase. I'm not sure why Jso picked 4g, and I can't recall if Zorg has said anything about it, but for me 4g is a little too late with PVG. I think I'm about 30 seconds earlier with 3.7g. 

57 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

The second will come higher up, typically in the 15-25km range. If the 2nd pitch maneuver is excessive, resulting in nearly horizontal flight or actual below horizon flight, your apoapsis  (aka apogee) parameter is too low for your rocket.

I'm not an expert, but from what I understand, PVG does a two stage ascent. For the first part it just does a dumb fixed turn based on the "Booster Pitch Rate" setting until it reaches some threshold (might be Q based? or altitude? or something else? - I don't know) at which point it switches over to using the actual PVG algorithm. If the algorithm detects that the rocket is not on the correct track to reach the desired orbit it will do a sharp turn to try and adjust it. If you see your rocket pitching down sharply it usually means your booster pitch rate is too low, if it pitches up sharply then it's too high. In my experience high TWR vehicles (based on the thrust profile throughout the first phase of flight, not just lift-off TWR)  need higher pitch rates than low TWR.

43 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Using EngineIgnitor for a few months ruined me forever - I can't un-know that the sustainer has a single ignition, making PVG a must. Now I'm stuck and still use PVG even when I don't have engineIgnitor installed.   *accepts nerd award*

I've also noticed on my system that leaving the skirt on for too long compounds the shallow ascent issue, but getting rid of it a little earlier adjusts the angle upwards around the same time as that 2nd pitch phase. I'm not sure why Jso picked 4g, and I can't recall if Zorg has said anything about it, but for me 4g is a little too late with PVG. I think I'm about 30 seconds earlier with 3.7g. 

I believe that 4g was picked for booster skirt sep because that is an authoritative structural limit for payloads. Anything higher than that and you risk damaging your satellite, or your living pilot. Admittedly, Al Shepard withstood 6.3g going uphill and 11g for a short period on reentry on MR-3, but both peaks lasted just a few seconds, and he was barely functional during those times. Sustained  4g is something else altogether. 

Edited by DaveyJ576
Typo