[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 8/25/2023 at 6:01 PM, Falcon Aerospace said:

Will you return to Dreaming Big?

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. After the unfixable Kraken attack that kept exploding the station, I've just lost all motivation to do the station. But that really isn't BDB related, so if you want to talk about it anymore, please message me on the Dreaming Big thread, thanks. 

(Context: Dreaming Big is a mission report series by me where I make super large space stations.)

Edited by GoldForest

11 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. After the unfixable Kraken attack that kept exploding the station, I've just lost all motivation to do the station. But that really isn't BDB related, so if you want to talk about it anymore, please message me on the Dreaming Big thread, thanks. 

(Context: Dreaming Big is a mission report series by me that make super large space stations.)

I feel your pain... I haven't been posting Screenshots for the same reason...   I have no... "Drive" to build anything in KSP right now...  It's probably a combination of Kraken taking my Skylab-based ISS out (again) and the failure to find good sources for the Minotaur article...

14 hours ago, Gupyzer0 said:

I invoke my fusion card...  Atlas-Able ...

Forgive me Father for I have sinned!

7BJepQ9.jpg

But seriously, feels good to recreate the Pioneer P-3 mission (no reaction wheels) and make Lunar orbit.
E45CrOz.png

Atlas Able was only intended to be an interim solution until the more capable (but ultimately canceled) Atlas Vega and then the Atlas Agena and Atlas Centaur came on line. Even if it had been completely successful, Atlas Able most likely would only have flown for an additional year or two at most.

It was a bit of a mis-match really, IMO. Having the powerful Atlas pared with the low powered and skinny Able seemed like overkill for the first half of the ride uphill with low weight, small dimension payloads like early Pioneer, Tiros, Explorer, and Transit. These types of missions made much better sense with a Thor as a first stage. Atlas Able was kind of like using a diesel truck to tow a garden cart. 

Pairing Atlas with a Vega, Agena, or Centaur not only allowed heavier payloads, but ones with larger dimensions as well. This reality made a swift change from an Able upper stage to something bigger and more powerful inevitable. 

With all that said, I disagree with people who say that Atlas Able was an ugly rocket. I think it was pretty cool looking and BDB has made it fun to play around with. 

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Surveyor launched atop a Delta III. Landed in to dark side of the Mun, again, but this time I actually landed. Played very safe and did the breaking burn at 500,000KM... Yeah, a little conservative. Had mechjeb handle the landing from there. 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

hasCTU8.png

xeaehVr.png

n0clHzm.png

b5uKY7t.png

XklYaIr.png

Wdd5X8C.png

Does Mechjeb handle landing well? I always fear that it uses too much fuel or something.

16 minutes ago, TomVorat said:

Does Mechjeb handle landing well? I always fear that it uses too much fuel or something.

Yeah, Mechjeb is usually good, if you give it enough fuel. Most failed landings are user error. Either you leave it too little fuel or start the burn too late. 

Oh, and never allow Mechjeb to use Time Warp if you're using the landing module. It never disengages time warp in time.  That's the only real problem with Mechjeb landing module. 

21 minutes ago, TomVorat said:

I'll throw in a gotcha about MJ landing: if you're using EngineIgnitor or something else that respects engine ignition counts, MJ will happily throttle down your engine too far and there goes your mission. I don't use it to land the LEM for this reason ... you only get 1 boo-boo with the LMDE.

Aside from that, like all MJ "auto" features, it can work well if you set it up for success, and put your craft in the best possible starting configuration before enabling the MJ feature. For Surveyor on KSRSS, assuming a normal minimal energy transfer to the Moon, I ignite the SRM and the landing engines between 80-75k. Once the SRM burns out I eject it and then enable MJ landing guidance.  It typically does the rest of the landing at around 60-70% throttle, which feels like an OK safety buffer to me.

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I'll throw in a gotcha about MJ landing: if you're using EngineIgnitor or something else that respects engine ignition counts, MJ will happily throttle down your engine too far and there goes your mission. I don't use it to land the LEM for this reason ... you only get 1 boo-boo with the LMDE.

Aside from that, like all MJ "auto" features, it can work well if you set it up for success, and put your craft in the best possible starting configuration before enabling the MJ feature. For Surveyor on KSRSS, assuming a normal minimal energy transfer to the Moon, I ignite the SRM and the landing engines between 80-75k. Once the SRM burns out I eject it and then enable MJ landing guidance.  It typically does the rest of the landing at around 60-70% throttle, which feels like an OK safety buffer to me.

I think you can set a minimum throttle setting so that doesn't happen.

22 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I think you can set a minimum throttle setting so that doesn't happen.

In my testing, that option doesn't affect landing, it still turns off the engines if you're too high for any throttle at all. Afaict it's just for Q and throttle limiting during ascent. I'd be interested if anyone had a different experience though!

43 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

In my testing, that option doesn't affect landing, it still turns off the engines if you're too high for any throttle at all. Afaict it's just for Q and throttle limiting during ascent. I'd be interested if anyone had a different experience though!

Oh right, it is ascent.

Edit: doesn't utilities have the same function tho?

Edited by GoldForest

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Edit: doesn't utilities have the same function tho?

Yes, confusingly, it shows on the utilities dialog too, but it's literally the same option from the Ascent dialog so still an ascent setting. (try opening both Ascent and Utilities and clicking options, you'll see them change in both places since they're the same internal option)

8 hours ago, TomVorat said:

I will throw in that MJ does not like solids. It will not ignite them. So, with Surveyor I fly it manually in retrograde until it is time to ignite the solid, about 50-60k. I light the verniers at the same time. As soon as the solid burns out I jettison it and engage MJ, using the “land anywhere” function under Landing Guidance. You have to be quick on this. MJ flies it quite well right down to touchdown. For added historical accuracy, I cut off MJ a few meters above the surface and let the lander free fall the rest of the way. 

The “new” BDB Surveyor has plenty of gas in the tank, as the verniers really sip the fuel. 

17 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

To whom it may concern,

I am still alive. Armored Core 6, a title I've been waiting for since I was but a wee lad, has finally released. I am fully in the mech soup.

Fear not, I'm sure I will return soon.

Love,
-CW

BDB mech when?

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

To whom it may concern,

I am still alive. Armored Core 6, a title I've been waiting for since I was but a wee lad, has finally released. I am fully in the mech soup.

Fear not, I'm sure I will return soon.

Love,
-CW

This is me right now but I'm replaying Cyberpunk 2077 since Phantom Liberty will be out soon.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

BDB mech when?

Yes, I want to launch my Steiner scout lance to the mun. Because it's still stealth if no one's left to spot you!

The question is when are we getting parts for NCC-1701-all of them.

I apologize for my references, I will show myself the door.

Edited by Blufor878