[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

@CobaltWolf@InvaderchaosI have two questions, first is are you going to revamp the Centaur 1.875m truss interstage, the one that goes inside fairings, and is there any chance you could take a look at the inner beam things inside 1.875m fairing base rings, and possibly add a recessed attach node to attach the Centaur avionics unit? They tend to look a bit strange when placed on the Centaur, because the beams clip through the Centaur upper tank bulkhead and push the avionics unit up.

1 hour ago, davidy12 said:

For some reason, the Skylab robotic mount isn't working. No Idea why...

6bPfo9R.png

In my experience, turning on any sort of autostrutting on robotic parts break them. Could try disabling that?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

6E0QXxH.png

Ok, I see you have finally embraced the Better than Saturn C-8 rocket builds :D   LOOKS GREAT! :D

Har Har Har  :P

Ok, joking aside, what have we here? 

• An MS-IC with F-1As,
  • Quad AJ-260s (zero or part of the first stage?)
  • SOFI MS-II-396
  • MS-IVD (is that what we are calling the big diameter Saturn IV stage?)
  • And big boi @benjee10 Habtech station parts?  *edit ah crap, didn't mean for that to be a ping.  Oh well the parts look amazing Benjee10!*

The Nosecone, did you decide to go that route over that of some sort of PLF because of how most of the PLF bases don't look like they would work for a Station?   Why not encase the entire payload in a PLF?

Also, in the 6. whatever to 4.25m inter-stage, do you have a tug hidden?

Edited by Pappystein

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Ok, I see you have finally embraced the Better than Saturn C-8 rocket builds :D   LOOKS GREAT! :D

Har Har Har  :P

Ok, joking aside, what have we here? 

• An MS-IC with F-1As,
  • Quad AJ-260s (zero or part of the first stage?)
  • SOFI MS-II-396
  • MS-IVD (is that what we are calling the big diameter Saturn IV stage?)
  • And big boi @benjee10 Habtech station parts?  *edit ah crap, didn't mean for that to be a ping.  Oh well the parts look amazing Benjee10!*

The Nosecone, did you decide to go that route over that of some sort of PLF because of how most of the PLF bases don't look like they would work for a Station?   Why not encase the entire payload in a PLF?

Also, in the 6. whatever to 4.25m inter-stage, do you have a tug hidden?

Don't tempt me to switch to C-8B... I will. Lol.

Yep, stretched S-IC with 6 F-1As tho, might switch those to Bs.

Stage 1. They light with the center stage.

Mhm.

The max stretched S-IVF (I think it's F)

And yep, new habtech parts.

I needed a short nose cone and most fairings are quite longer than I need. As for why not encase the entire thing, the irl super module was shown to fly exposed like the Russian stations, so I decided to fly it that way as well.

Nope. The S-IVF is the tug in itself.

Edited by GoldForest

Posted (edited)

Guys, so I'm currently doing something unholy and need suggestions
What a good engine would be for the upper stage with 1 smallest ldc tank to fit into small ldc interstage?
aj's have bad twr (<1) lr's do not fit that small interstage profile.

pic for context:

image.png?ex=665de8ca&is=665c974a&hm=896

Edit: also need some tips for sea level engines with thrust with approx 550+ kN. Bigger is better. But with 1.5m profile
I don't have tantares for those neat staged cycle hypergols.

Edited by ra4nd0m

Ok, So I think I know what is going on with Imgur.... It doesn't like the new screenshot format I am utilizing... files are all too big and it takes FOREVER for them to actually finish converting the files.

https://i.imgur.com/6AayiF7.jpg (it was uploaded as a PNG)   In a few hours the link will work correctly because the file has finished conversion....   *hyper-think*

I have tried to upload 27 images to go along with that first one which is Obviously an Atlas Vega right?

Well  Almost all of the images are greater than 20mb... so I have to downgrade my picture taking resolution (going to switch to 1.5 and see if it works)  

But lets try the last image I uploaded..

https://i.imgur.com/sJRcUbO.jpg

Yep YOU TOO can have AGENA C or SHUTTLE AGENA or FAT AGENA with JUST BDB PARTS!

47 minutes ago, ra4nd0m said:

What a good engine would be for the upper stage with 1 smallest ldc tank to fit into small ldc interstage?

pic for context:

image.png?ex=665de8ca&is=665c974a&hm=896

Edit: also need some tips for sea level engines with thrust with approx 550+ kN. Bigger is better. But with 1.5m profile
I don't have tantares for those neat staged cycle hypergols.

Has a great booster engine...   it is Methalox but that is OK because that makes the LDC first stage signficantly lighter.   I tend to use the LR87-LH2-Vaccuum engine in pairs for the Hercules Second stage (LDC Titan)   You can see pictures of my actual booster in the first couple pages of RMM linked above!  I was flying entire Russian segment parts to the ISS with it (Zarya etc)

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Has a great booster engine...   it is Methalox but that is OK because that makes the LDC first stage signficantly lighter.  

Tried
TOO cursed for what I'm attempting to do...
Need something, less offensive? Less sreaming "here I am, I am here I am crazy"

BTW any tips on how big proton core is supposed to be?

Also, LR's are too long, do not fit into the short interstage

Edited by ra4nd0m

11 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Ok, So I think I know what is going on with Imgur.... It doesn't like the new screenshot format I am utilizing... files are all too big and it takes FOREVER for them to actually finish converting the files.

https://i.imgur.com/6AayiF7.jpg (it was uploaded as a PNG)   In a few hours the link will work correctly because the file has finished conversion....   *hyper-think*

I have tried to upload 27 images to go along with that first one which is Obviously an Atlas Vega right?

Well  Almost all of the images are greater than 20mb... so I have to downgrade my picture taking resolution (going to switch to 1.5 and see if it works)  

But lets try the last image I uploaded..

https://i.imgur.com/sJRcUbO.jpg

Yep YOU TOO can have AGENA C or SHUTTLE AGENA or FAT AGENA with JUST BDB PARTS!

Has a great booster engine...   it is Methalox but that is OK because that makes the LDC first stage signficantly lighter.   I tend to use the LR87-LH2-Vaccuum engine in pairs for the Hercules Second stage (LDC Titan)   You can see pictures of my actual booster in the first couple pages of RMM linked above!  I was flying entire Russian segment parts to the ISS with it (Zarya etc)

1.5 won't work. It only takes whole numbers. 1, 2, 3 etc

My first part in forever, it's not like its 2 years late. The Atlas V 4xx adapter for my Centaur revamp is now on github! Includes an earlier stringer version and the newer composite version. LH2 pipe cover also toggleable so it can be used with other 1.875m upper stages.

8gPXTfA.png

jdNkMIn.png

42FeCVC.png

2N7917q.png
(last pic is an attempt at Agena 2000 lol)

4 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

4x GE-405H-Us vega engines fit, getting a starting twr of 1 on that setup. And that's just 4, you could use 6/7 of them on that mount. There's an optional patch in Bluedog_DB_Extras to double the thrust for upper stage engines too, including the vega engine.

Bluedog_DB_Extras also has the MethaloxEngines patches which provides variants for LH2 engines that use methalox instead, for higher thrust and denser fuel. 4x RL10A-4-1s with methalox gets 152kn thrust, while also reducing the mass of that stage from 19T to 15-16T. So that's also about 1 starting twr (with only 4 engines), and getting more dV than the LFO GE-405s.

Not sure why the interstage is the limiting factor though, there is a longer one lol

Posted (edited)

8py69p5.png

@Pappystein :P

I tested it, it can get SISS (Supersized ISS) into a Polar Munar Orbit. 

Also, FINALLY. This payload taxes the first stage. It's TWR at launch is under 1.2, and it doesn't reach space before the 1st stage runs out of fuel. It's finally a sensible launch vehicle. 

Edited by GoldForest

Posted (edited)

Check out my thread for the story of MSISS: 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Btw, Pappy, I didn't do this out of spite, just so you know lol. I genuinely decided to use C-8B because it just looks better IMO. 

Also, @Pappystein in regards to your imgur problem, Imgur has a limit of 20MB. So, anything larger will get converted into a JPG to downsize it. Two solutions. Take the supersized screenshot and edit the resolution size until it's under 20MB, or don't use supersized resolution images. I would go with the latter. You have a pretty large resolution to begin with. The real problem you have is just the compression artifacts that Steam's screenshot system creates. Using the uncompressed KSP screenshot versions will be just fine.  3,840 x 1600 is more than good resolution for screenshots. 

YtwT3GM.png

22MsqPM.png

9tAQzng.png

nU3ewe7.png

JIzUSQk.png

MZjwrZP.png

Edited by GoldForest

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

2N7917q.png
(last pic is an attempt at Agena 2000 lol)

I see you too have embraced the Vega = Agena with engine swap and Hypergol fuels :D

Did you do any tests with it or was it literally just used as a placeholder to see how it worked/looked?

Edited by Pappystein

27 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

I see you too have embraced the Vega = Agena with engine swap and Hypergol fuels :D

Did you do any tests with it or was it literally just used as a placeholder to see how it worked/looked?

Just a placeholder, for now

On 6/1/2024 at 4:17 PM, Entr8899 said:

@CobaltWolf@InvaderchaosI have two questions, first is are you going to revamp the Centaur 1.875m truss interstage, the one that goes inside fairings, and is there any chance you could take a look at the inner beam things inside 1.875m fairing base rings, and possibly add a recessed attach node to attach the Centaur avionics unit? They tend to look a bit strange when placed on the Centaur, because the beams clip through the Centaur upper tank bulkhead and push the avionics unit up.

@Zorg or @Invaderchaos any thoughts? I was never happy with the truss interstage, though I might be able to redo it in the style of the one I made for Saturn Centaur.

As for the fairing base, what do you mean @Entr8899? I specifically built the Centaur (Centaur D, at least) with the fairing base accounted for in the length/construction.

On 6/1/2024 at 4:28 PM, NuclearAlchemist said:

Where in the tech tree do I unlock the free-flying laboratory variant of the Apollo CM?

I don't know, I don't think I even finished that part enough to place it.

On 6/2/2024 at 7:47 AM, Blufor878 said:

Did they pay for their crimes (were they delicious)?

Very.

Here's some WIP shots of the X-15-SERJ. You'll note we were having some heating issues in air breathing mode. Textures are still unfinished for the engine and the intake.

This engine is going to be pretty complex to sort out and make work properly/accurately, so I'd hold off on messing around with it for now.

The visual effects also need a lot of work, but I think once we have proper Waterfall configs for it, it will be a very visually unique engine with the double-plug-nozzle and rocket/jet modes.

TnceuCD.png
4dkUsKx.png
oTgFKqt.png

So I have been playing with the new Atlas parts that Zorg has made.   1st I want to compliment @Zorg, the fine details on these parts is amazing!   Sure the tanks are mostly similar to the old Bossart ones from what 3 years ago now?  But, when you get to things like the Skirts, the LR-105 and the engine mounts...  :perfetto:   :maneuver:

I have been struggling in my career (both full and Science) with the part distribution (combined with my mods selection) to get moving... has lead to some weird builds like the Atlas III tankage with LR-105/LR-89-NA3 engines...   And a Vega... with an Agena on top of it.  

I am having to do the "Saturn I/IB" launch profile as my payload is too much mass for the rocket to get into a simple circular orbit.  That is fine, not a bash on the work here.   But what it has taught me is that the game is still awesome...  A game that I have played for 10 years.

Also I learn new things all the time.   My most reacent launch (pictures up this page,) was an Atlas D with an Agena-C/ShuttleAgena/Agena2000 built from Atlas-Vega parts, a hypergol fuel patch and the Bell LR81 8096 engine.  Again I had to orbit with a high "AOA" to get the payload up above the pull of gravity.  And excepting that I forgot to put a decoupler between the payload and the "Fat Agena" was a perfect launch of my first 1000km Relay sat.  I have enough fuel left that I could in fact extend the orbit (circular) to 3-5000km (I ended up parking it at 3,000km.   now I have a communication node (one of 2 I plan in co-located oribts)  for Mun missions and Minimus missions

Why am I posting this?   IDK.  But I thought I would share the fact that this game continues to teach me new things... I am an old hat been on forums pretty consistent since mid 2013, I am still learning things.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

As for the fairing base, what do you mean @Entr8899? I specifically built the Centaur (Centaur D, at least) with the fairing base accounted for in the length/construction.

I mean the generic 1.875m fairing, and the Atlas 2.08m and 2.5m fairings, the structural support strut things in the middle of it clip awkwardly through the Centaur tank bulkhead.

I couldn't really take a good screenshot sorry, here's the 2.5m fairing: https://prnt.sc/ryzDYEJPOSqm