Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

15 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

One of the reasons they're so concerned about the Intrepid is her "nuclear missiles." They don't have a conter for that, so they waited until Kerbfleet launched both probes.

15 hours ago, Deddly said:

It's canon that the Kerbulans don't have nuclear weapons, though they do have the Nerva engine because it was developped before Wernher left. That's why the Kerbulans were so afraid when the Intrepid was first discovered by them; they could see the heat signature of the nuclear reactor on board, so - in their eyes - why would they not use that technology for weapons?

Yeah, completely forgot about that :)

2 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

I'm sorry, I was just asking!

It wasn't completely your fault, it was the reaction some people had when you said it.

But what weapons do they have? I saw a pistol, and several chapters back a bloaked ship right above kerbin, waiting to destroy it. Destroy it with what?? Kuzzter, could you give us a hint of what their weapons are like? Or will this be a debat? 

Edited by Alpha 360
"Kouston, we have several problems, but that doesn't matter so we want to continue on with the mission."

8 hours ago, The solid fuel chemist said:

...If @Kuzzter has a serious problem with this kind of discussion...

My comment was as a fellow reader rather than a moderator. But I think Kuzzter has made it abundantly clear already that he would rather not have conversation about a possible next story when he's still in the middle of this one. 

6 hours ago, Alpha 360 said:

But what weapons do they have? I saw a pistol, and several chapters back a bloaked ship right above kerbin, waiting to destroy it. Destroy it with what?? Kuzzter, could you give us a hint of what their weapons are like? Or will this be a debat? 

I'm pretty sure that what is happening is not an attack that will destroy Kerbin (yet).  The Kermulans are convinced that Intrepid is carrying nuclear bombs.  The attack just shut down Kerbfleet's communications to and from Intrepid as Intrepid moved into their trap.

I think the "destroy Kerbin" was a miss reading of the comic by us fans.  I'm pretty sure they're just going to destroy Kerbfleet which they only need a few well placed missiles for.

1 hour ago, loch.ness said:

I think the "destroy Kerbin" was a miss reading of the comic by us fans.  

I was thinking along the same lines. It obvious the Kerbulans don't have a nuke, or they could have taken down the whole KSC, and half the coastline, in one shot. And if they were just out to destroy Kerbfleet, then why not hit mission control or the admin building and kill off the Kerbfleet leaders in a preemptive strike?

Instead they took out the tracking station, which leaves Kerbfleet blind. Yet there is no invasion fleet in orbit, and I don't think that bloaked ship can take down the rest of the KSC on it's own.

I've gotten to know @Kuzzter well enough to not try and guess what he's up to, except to say I think there's something more going on here... and I begin to suspect there are plans within plans... so to speak. 

12 hours ago, hidude398 said:

Poor @KAL 9000. We reacted so hard he's now just singing about "Daisy Bell."

ERROR... ERROR... ERROR...

220px-Reactos_bsod2.png

Rebooting...

I am a KAL 9000 unit. I was manufactured at the Jeb's Junkyard and Spacecraft Parts plant in Kurbank, Kerbin. My first instructor was Werhner von Kerman. He taught me to sing a song. Would you like me to sing the song for you? 

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do
I’m half crazy all for the love of you
It won’t be a stylish marriage
I can’t afford a carriage, but you’ll look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two

Edited by KAL 9000

On 1/1/2017 at 9:14 PM, Alpha 360 said:

we've seen (guided?) missiles, a stealth cruse missile, a pistol, and a koffie cup. (this conjures the image of kerbulan soldiers marching into battle armed with military grade mugs). The fact that they have the NERVA implies that they can make dirty bombs, and there's no reason to not assume that Bahamuto Dynamics is a company of kerbulan origin.

Edited by The solid fuel chemist

5 hours ago, The solid fuel chemist said:

(this conjures the image of kerbulan soldiers marching into battle armed with military grade mugs)

There have to be a lot of muggings on Kermulus...

Edited by cfds

9 hours ago, The solid fuel chemist said:

we've seen (guided?) missiles, a stealth cruse missile, a pistol, and a koffie cup. (this conjures the image of kerbulan soldiers marching into battle armed with military grade mugs). The fact that they have the NERVA implies that they can make dirty bombs, and there's no reason to not assume that Bahamuto Dynamics is a company of kerbulan origin.

Good analysis! Don't forget, also a very large and disturbingly asymmetric knife (Jeb), as well as various vintage tanks and planes from the Year Before Year Zero. As to the "dirty bomb", these are species that think nothing of strapping a lawn chair to a NERVA and flying next to the sun with it...radiation resistance is the least of our worries :) 

3 hours ago, cfds said:

There have to be a lot of muggings on Kermulus...

Argh, @Nimzo Kerman made exactly the same joke last week...

Now ENOUGH of this levity! Back to the PAIN!

sW44FJE.png

nZPcPU9.png

xGMMzJJ.png

Edited by Kuzzter
Incorrect Kenlie/Kenlie box colors last panel

Ok, @max_creative, this is for you.

Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey

Chapter 17, Pages 20-22

Kenlie Kermulan's Story: "So, what happens now?" asked the coward,

Kenlie Kerman's Story: "You already know what happens now," answered the murderer.

BK: "Oh, right," said the coward, grinning stupidly. "Actually, I know your whole plan-- and by now, so does the Captin!"

GK: "That will do you no good," said the murderer. "By your own highest law, she must try and save you-even though it will result in her destruction!"

BK: "You don't know that!" the coward sniveled. "She'll figure something out.And you won't know what it is, because I never told her about the stories!"

GK: "Irrelevant!" cried the murderer."There is no escape! Our warriors will strike the instant the Intrepid arrives! You cannot possibly win!"

BK: And at that, inexplicably, the coward smiled! "A no-win situation? Yeah, well- we've trained for those.

Valentina Kerman: Time to intercept, Mister Dilsby?

Dilsby Kerman: Unfortunately, we're well out of phase with them, Captin... ....Two orbits, and two burns- almost three hours!

Val: Make it so, Dilsby- and warn KSC!

Dilsby: Aye aye!

Bottom right corner: UT Y9D191 02:24:40

Cut to Kerbal Space Center

Gene Kerman: Tracking station! Come in! Can anybody hear me? Did everyone make it out?!!

Bottom Right Corner: UT Y9D191 02:25:12

Bobak Kerman: Gene, I've got someone down there on a land line... ...they- they didn't all make it.

Gene: What happened? That wasn't one of our drones! It's them, isn't it, Wherner-the Kerbulans!

Wherner Von Kerman: Ja, it must be-but how?

Gene: We'll figure that out later, if we survive! What's their next move?

Wherner: Well... now that we are blinded, they will destroy our war-fighting capabilities- Himmel! Micarooni Station!

Gene: "War"? But Micarooni isn't armed! Heck, none of us are!

Cut to Micarooni Station

Wherner: Gene, mein Fruend, even if the Kerbulans knew that-

Upper Right Corner: UT Y9D191 02:26:05

Wherner: -I do not think they would care.

Cut to Laythe Orbit

GK: "Enough of this!" said the murderer. "Here, I have a special gift for you. Wear it- or die!"

BK: Meekly the coward clipped it to his EVA suit. "You have a choice," he pleaded. "You don't have to do this."

GK: "You're wrong," said the murderer. "I have no choice- and now, neither do you."

*BZZZZT!!*

GK: AAAAAAHHH!!!

Edited by Dman979
Gus/Gene, Gene/Gus....

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

@Dman979: Is that an official and authorized script? :confused:

@Kuzzter

It is an authorized but unofficial transcript, which is much appreciated and mostly correct :) "Bad" and "Good" Kenlie are conversing by means of their strange connection, each one "writing" the other's dialogue. Gus doesn't appear (that's Gene), and the "that's not our drone!" line was supposed to be a Mission Control extra not Gene--but I used the wrong speech bubble so that's my fault :)

I had to rewrite this part a bit from my original intent, because sometimes plot needs to travel at the speed of ship-- meaning, I had wanted Intrepid to be able to get to Kenlie much sooner but the orbital mechanics simply don't allow it. 

What was originally supposed to happen? Well, let's just say it involved a "BLAM!" effect, followed by an "ow!" and an ominous "hissssss"... anyway, this method of baiting the hook should work just as well, and is even more Kerbulan :wink: 

19 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

@Kuzzter: I was just giving @Dman979 a hard time. You know, if I didn't, he'd get his feelings hurt and think I didn't like him any more...

;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;

24 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Gus doesn't appear (that's Gene), and the "that's not our drone!" line was supposed to be a Mission Control extra not Gene--but I used the wrong speech bubble so that's my fault :)

Doh! I always, always mentally confuse Gus and Gene. And it made sense to me that Gene would ask whose drone it was. He can't be expected to memorize every mission the KSC is running, and now that the Tracking Center is gone he lost his "notebook."

This was brilliant!

I think the dialogue between the two Kenlie's is probably the cleverest storytelling you have done, @Kuzzter

I also thought it was interesting that Kerbfleet Kenlie seems to have caught Evil Kenlie slightly off guard by his confidence.

22 minutes ago, Deddly said:

This was brilliant!

I think the dialogue between the two Kenlie's is probably the cleverest storytelling you have done, @Kuzzter

I also thought it was interesting that Kerbfleet Kenlie seems to have caught Evil Kenlie slightly off guard by his confidence.

Yup - someone better check the Kerbahashi Maru simulator - I have a feeling that one Chekhov Kerman may have left some equipment lying around inside... :)

20 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I really like how the two authors are talking about the other author as a whole conversation. Nice touch! :)

Aww, you guys are too nice. Really, I had no choice. I realized that unless they touched helmets or something to transmit sound waves, any conversation they had would have to be over suit radios--and it's established canon that the two sides each use a different signal encoding method that results in the words being "scrambled" relative to each other. (e.g. "Kenlie" becomes "Neelik") Hopefully somebody figures that out soon, so the other Kerbals and Kerbulans can...discuss matters :) 

9 hours ago, KSK said:

Yup - someone better check the Kerbahashi Maru simulator - I have a feeling that one Chekhov Kerman may have left some equipment lying around inside... :)

If you mean the unexploded bombs @Geschosskopf noticed on the roof, I'm sure some cadet has set those off by now :D 

ETA: hey @Dman979, it you want to know, it was @KSK who made me sequential. :D 

Edited by Kuzzter

10 hours ago, Deddly said:

I've seen Cheks, Kerbopoly, and I think some Fizbin as canon, but never poker.

When I was an older Scout, I was made Senior Patrol Leader- basically, the boy in charge of the troop. I had no clue what I was doing at first, but everyone was looking at me to lead, to have a plan. So I did what anyone would do then- I faked it until I made it.

I get the feeling that Kenlie's "confidence" here is just a front. We know that's he's scared- he's a rational person with a gun pointed at him. But the best way to scare your enemy is to project confidence and strength. By getting into his head, you throw him off-balance with false information.

Now Kenlie just needs the cavalry to come, which should take 3 hours.

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

ETA: hey @Dman979, it you want to know, it was @KSK who made me sequential. :D 

You mean like this? I got no clue here.

7 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

I get the feeling that Kenlie's "confidence" here is just a front. We know that's he's scared- he's a rational person with a gun pointed at him. But the best way to scare your enemy is to project confidence and strength. By getting into his head, you throw him off-balance with false information.

I was always told that anyone who says they're not scared when they're looking death in the face is lying.
It's how you handle being scared that makes all the difference.

Go Kenlie!!!  :)