The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

9 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Not so. I can tell you with some certainty that @Just Jim 's mind is normally two or three chapters ahead of what he's currently working on sharing with us here, on the forum. Yes... I do know some of the stuff, because we've shared story line ideas. As turn-about, he also knows where Kerny's journal is heading - because I do the same thing... there are a couple of people I bounce ideas off to see how well they work. I've given him a rundown of the major story elements about six chapters in advance!

What this means is that any speculation you might do about what may be in the next chapter has already been thought about by @Just Jim. But who's to say; if you share your idea here on the forum, he might like it well enough to use in a future chapter.

Reveal hidden contents

So - you really thought I would share what I know? Hahaha... and I'm not going to tell you what I know or what I speculate might happen! :cool:

Exactly. For the most part, I've got this figured out right to the end. And I thought out things like the origins of the krakens and ET's a long time ago. Trust me, I'm not just writing off the top of my head, there is an overall madness to my method. In fact, I have a notebook full of stuff for down the road.

But at the same time, @adsii1970 is right, occasionally I'll use an idea someone posts if it fits into the overall scheme of things, or adds some element I might not have considered. The newest is the idea that Thompberry might be faking the gurgling noises. Truth be told, that was @0111narwhalz's observation, and I thought it was both intriguing and amusing, so I added it in. 

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

Exactly. For the most part, I've got this figured out right to the end. And I thought out things like the origins of the krakens and ET's a long time ago. Trust me, I'm not just writing off the top of my head, there is an overall madness to my method. In fact, I have a notebook full of stuff for down the road.

But at the same time, @adsii1970 is right, occasionally I'll use an idea someone posts if it fits into the overall scheme of things, or adds some element I might not have considered. The newest is the idea that Thompberry might be faking the gurgling noises. Truth be told, that was @0111narwhalz's observation, and I thought it was both intriguing and amusing, so I added it in. 

So you might use an idea I put out if it fails in line with the storyline so it is more like a community story it is cool to think that the wise writer of Emiko saga would take suggestions from all over the forum but in theory are the UFO going to have any other large part in the story beside kerbnet because the boulders seem to be getting a lot of attention did the UFO put up the monoliths ar ami just grasping at straws.

7 hours ago, Buzz light fear said:

So you might use an idea I put out if it fails in line with the storyline so it is more like a community story [snip]

I'm not sure I'd go THAT far :) What I've seen Jim do--and what even I, who am notoriously curmudgeonly and resistant to reader "ideas" have done--is to acknowledge a reader's observation in the story. The case of Thompberry's fake gurgle was really just a classic case of lampshade-hanging. That's miles different from incorporating a plot idea or introducing a character, which is what you'd see in a "community story" :) 

16 hours ago, Buzz light fear said:

So you might use an idea I put out if it fails in line with the storyline so it is more like a community story it is cool to think that the wise writer of Emiko saga would take suggestions from all over the forum but in theory are the UFO going to have any other large part in the story beside kerbnet because the boulders seem to be getting a lot of attention did the UFO put up the monoliths ar ami just grasping at straws.

No, this is not a community story. I'm sorry if you got that impression. @Kuzzter is right, we acknowledge and sometime use tidbits a reader might observe, or joke about, but that's it. For the most part I already know what's happening, and I'm not changing it.

And as for adding new characters, Obney was an exception, and quite simply got lucky. To be completely honest, I only did that because I already had plans on introducing the cadet squad in the last chapter, and I thought Obney was a really good, Kerbal sounding name, so I had no real objection to naming the squad leader after @obney kerman. But I have no plans on introducing anyone else new... at least not at this time.

OK, I could use a little help, please. I wanted to do some work on the Diamondback in the SPH today. It occurred to me I might be able to get rid of the gas lines with this new fuel flow feature and maybe decrease some of the drag and make it more efficient. But for the life of me, I can't find it, or figure out how to enable it so I can see where the fuel is flowing to and from...

The worst part is I have a feeling I'm missing something that's right in front of my eyes... :confused:

8 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OK, I could use a little help, please. I wanted to do some work on the Diamondback in the SPH today. It occurred to me I might be able to get rid of the gas lines with this new fuel flow feature and maybe decrease some of the drag and make it more efficient. But for the life of me, I can't find it, or figure out how to enable it so I can see where the fuel is flowing to and from...

The worst part is I have a feeling I'm missing something that's right in front of my eyes... :confused:

You have to go to settings and enable advanced tweakables (I think it's called that). Hope that helps. :) 

Hey everyone, been busy with holiday stuff the last few days, but I'm mostly done for now, and today I had a chance to get all the screenshots for the next chapter. I have to do a bunch of photoshopping tomorrow, but I'm going to try for the next chapter sometime tomorrow night or Wednesday morning. 

8 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

I was about to ask...

5 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

yay! moar stories!

Well, it took a little longer than I planned, but I just finished and uploaded the screenshots, and I'll write the next one up tomorrow.

One thing, because of how it plays out, this next chapter is a little shorter than the last few.  

Chapter 72
The Looking Glass

The sun was just beginning to rise over the Kerbin Space Center when Gene and Kerenna Kerman emerged laughing from Emiko's Magic Boulder and floated softly to the ground.

"Wheeeee..." Kerenna giggled. "That was so.... so..... !"

mL60lxQ.png

E67Cd0Z.png

h7k4tgw.png

Xj355o0.png

Waiting for them in front of the astronaut complex was Emiko herself, accompanied by Piper and the Rocklady, both with somewhat worried looks on their faces. But Emiko was quite unconcerned, and smiling as always.

"Did Gene and Kerenna Kerman have fun?"

4g6GldJ.png

"Emiko.... PIPER!!!" Kerenna squealed, running up to her friends as fast as she could.

t5r1P8W.png

"Pip.... Piper..... Oh... We... we were on Laythe!  LAYTHE!!... It was so beautiful... and... and Gene.... he... he asked.... Oh....."

"No...." Piper gasped, and a huge grin spread across her face as well. "He... he didn't..."

"YES!" Kerenna screamed. "YES!!! Piper, we're... we're getting married!!!

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE..." they both squealed, hugging as tight as they could.

dB206lT.png

HDF4ZHn.png

"Congratulations, sir," Piper beamed as Gene walked up to them. "But... that thing... it really took you two to Laythe? What was it like?"

"Amazing.... simply amazing," Gene smiled. "But first, I'm starving. Let's go inside and get some snacks, and I'll let Kerenna tell you all about it."

4eKeTi6.png

0soS3Cz.png

But just as they turned and headed inside the complex, Sanny the ghost appeared in front of Kerenna and screamed as loud as she could, giving Kerenna quite a start.

MxUlmMA.png

"You... you.... how DARE you!!!" Sanny howled as Kerenna got back to her feet. "How.... DARE you use the Magic Boulder before me!!!"

"Sanny, where have you been?" Gene turned and shouted back at Sanny. "Your little game yesterday nearly got Kerenna and my friends killed!"

"Oh, boo hoo hoo," Sanny sneered back, "They walked away, didn't they? But next time they might not be so lucky. Now, tell me, how did you get it to work? Why did the Magic Boulder do what YOU wanted, huh? Why???"

9bvpLzd.png

Just then Gene paused, and a strange look passed over his face as a sudden thought hit him. And turning to look at the magic Boulder, he whispered softly.

"Wait.... how did you know? How did you know just what I wanted most?"

XtRxPL3.png

"What do you mean?" Kerenna asked, turning away from Sanny and looking up at the Magic Boulder.

Gene was silent for a few seconds.

"Just... just before I tried to propose to you the first time, I was thinking about Harfield and Jandolin, and how he had proposed to her under the great Mun arch. And I remember, just for a second, thinking how much I wanted to do something special like that for you, Kerenna. And that's when.... that's when it took us to Laythe. To somewhere so..... so beautiful..... Somehow... I think the boulder... it knew."

Gene's voice drifted off, and the rest of the group looked up at the Magic Boulder as the gravity of what Gene was implying began to sink in.

HEw1D84.png

"Perhaps," the Rocklady finally suggested, "Perhaps we could try and commune with it? Piper?"

But the smile on Piper's face turned to a scowl, and she turned and began to walk back towards the complex.

"Absolutely not! Not with.... that! NO!"

xy5PEzi.png

uEZQOay.png

"What?" Sanny screamed, floating in front of Piper and trying to block her path back into the complex. "You... You can talk to it? Tell it to take me to Ovok, NOW!"

b1hguUW.png

But Piper didn't answer, nor did she slow down. Instead she steeled herself, and walked right thru the howling Sanny and into the complex.

"Go kiss a dead krakens butt, ghost!"

2fIc8MZ.png

About an hour later, while Gene, Kerenna and the Rocklady tried their best to calm Piper down, and keep Sanny away from her, Emiko once again emerged from the astronaut complex, this time with captain Kuzzter and his first mate Geschosskopf, and headed towards the Magic Boulder. Kuzz had asked Emiko if she would show them the Magic Boulder up close, but the truth was he wanted to talk to her about something else entirely.

rPm9vdl.png

OSW9zRq.png

But as they got close to the Magic Boulder, much to Kuzz and Geo's surprise, it was Emiko who turned and spoke up first.

"OK, why does Kuzzter captain really want to talk to Emiko?"

"Huh?" Kuzz stammered in surprise for a second, then smiled. "You knew? Ahhh, m'lady, you are good."

"Emiko the best." Emiko giggled. "But serious.... is something wrong? Can Emiko help?"

VVMV91J.png

"Yes, Emiko, something is wrong." Kuzz turned very serious, "I... well, we... saw something on Minmus. Something neither of us has told anyone yet. And I'm not sure, but it may concern you, Emiko. Geschosskopf, tell her.... Geo???"

It was then that Kuzz and Emiko saw Geschosskopf had turned away from them and was staring intently up at the Magic Boulder.

HjNbMQG.png

6qI1aop.png

"Geo?" Kuzz asked, concerned for his friend. "Are you.... are you still here?"

But Geschosskopf just stood and stared in silence.

"Boulder is talking to Geschosskopf," Emiko whispered.

"Talking???" Kuzz whispered back. "But I thought you said they can't communicate."

"Emiko lied," she whispered back with a giggle. "Emiko lied."

Kuzz tried his best to hold back a laugh and asked instead. "So what now, do we just wait?"

"Yes," Emiko whispered. "He'll be back soon."

CU48dcI.png

But Geo didn't hear them, he didn't hear or see anything at first.... just blackness and what seemed like a very soft.... singing??? Then the blackness turned to red, and Geschosskopf found himself back on Minmus, only meters from the Carlenna and the ominous red Magic Boulder!

Only this time something was wrong... different.

uL373wa.png

Then it hit him.

"I have no helmet! But I'm breathing.... This... this must be a vision!"

QZTnny5.png

In front of him were the strange two Kerbins they had seen with Carlenna on Minmus, and now curious to their identities, Geo walked over to them. But as he came around in front of them, he was horrified at what he discovered.

z2qHPro.png

r1W5Yij.png

PULNzUj.png

Their eyes a ghostly dead white, the two just stood motionless, and Geschosskopf knew instinctively who they were, and what was wrong with them.

"Possessed," he hissed softly. 

Then he felt himself jumping up and away from the ghastly sight, and landing in front of Carlenna... or what was left of her!

ZDkhfTG.png

vZOYxgJ.png

puMy32L.png

"Carlenna? Carly?" But instead of a reply, for a fraction of a second Geschosskopf saw something monstrous reflected across Carlenna's visor....

And the truth suddenly became horribly, horribly clear.

fdr7Kdl.png

70DKzI6.png

Geschosskopf reared back in shock and revulsion.

"By the gods.... Krakens have them!" 

HwbtSu2.png

Before he could flee, everything turned dark, and Geschosskopf once again felt himself floating in an inky blackness. And the strange, hauntingly lovely singing once again seemed just on the edge of his hearing.

After what might have been seconds, or centuries, a star appeared in the blackness, then another... and another, and before he knew it, Geschosskopf found himself floating high over Kerbin. 

tWhpvmM.png

The vision then changed, and before him appeared Emiko Station, and Emiko Kerman floating in front of it.

qOfnCav.png

While he waited and watched, the strange singing seemed to get louder, and the image of Emiko and Emiko began to slowly fade, and the stars began to shine behind them...

prB1ImX.png

phrNDVk.png

PX0LE8o.png

In a few seconds they were gone again... and Geschosskopf realized what he was seeing.... what he was meant to see. 

tWhpvmM.png

"Geo... Geo.... are you here?"

Kuzzter's voice drifted into the edges of his consciousness, and Geschosskopf found himself back at the KSC, staring up at the Magic Boulder.

H3QiJYq.png

Then, slowly, a look of awe spread over Geschosskopf face.

"I..... I know what it wants us to do."

mMZwCcb.png

The Saga of Emiko Station, and the tale of Emiko Kerman, are far, far from over....

Go to Chapter 73
Back to Index

Edited by Just Jim

9 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

So, I'm taking it that magic boulders are somewhat sentient?

It's starting to look that way.... 

9 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Can they read Thompberry's mind?

Now that is a really interesting question.... 

10 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Is time travel possible?

Yes, at least in the case of Emiko's abduction, it's the only way to explain how she could have been on 20th century Earth.

But as for the floating and Magic Boulders, it's not known yet whether they can or not.

1 hour ago, Galacticvoyager said:

Are the krakens truly evil? Or is something larger... Something more sinister working with the krakens and forcing them to do things they dont want to...

Mind-ControlCeption? No, it's even mentioned several times in-story that Thompberry got a feeling of the dead Kraken on Bop being true evil...

Also: YAY, NEW CHAPTER! 

And I have a feeling that First Mate @Geschosskopf knows a LOT more about Sanny's origins than he's letting on...

8 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

Mind-ControlCeption? No, it's even mentioned several times in-story that Thompberry got a feeling of the dead Kraken on Bop being true evil...

Also: YAY, NEW CHAPTER! 

And I have a feeling that First Mate @Geschosskopf knows a LOT more about Sanny's origins than he's letting on...

Perhaps they are like humans... Some good... Some evil...

16 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

No, sorry, but Geschosskoph the story character wouldn't have the same knowledge that @Geschosskopf the forum member would.

However..... this could still prove interesting, and amusing.

I think it's about time Geschosskoph and Sanny met face to semi-transparent face.... 

Edited by Just Jim

2 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Congratulations @Just JimVery well deserved.

Happy landings!

Thank you.... but did you also post a quote or link or something? I'm seeing an empty box that just says: 

"Sorry, we can't show this content because you do not have permission to see it."

Oh wait.... I can see it now, and whoa..... :0.0:

Edited by Just Jim