What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Me in a discussion about naval warfare: "You know, I'm somewhat of an expert myself..."

Me in a two-seat kayak on a lazy river: "AAAAAHHH!!! :o"

2 hours ago, DDE said:

Me in a discussion about naval warfare: "You know, I'm somewhat of an expert myself..."

Me in a two-seat kayak on a lazy river: "AAAAAHHH!!! :o"

Cool, you’re an expert in naval warfare? I’m something of an expert myself, in composite submarines. A few months ago I wan expert in concrete, too. :D :blush:

23 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Cool, you’re an expert in naval warfare? I’m something of an expert myself, in composite submarines. A few months ago I wan expert in concrete, too. :D :blush:

...and everyone here was a virologist at some point.

For almost ten years I've been hoping he'll keep his word and return, and once in a blue moon I would check, just in case he did. For ten years no joy.

Well, today I checked again, and he's back!

Zogg from Betelgeuse is back!

1 hour ago, Aerodynamic Kerbal said:

I solved a Rubik's cube for the first time on my own! :D... For around 8-9 minutes. ...And I just did it in 4 minutes and 43 seconds (including the cube's bad quality and some spatial disorientation)

Congratulations! I think you'll soon be averaging 55 seconds or so with whichever method you're using. Is it layer-by-layer, or Roux, or something like edges-corners, or another method?

18 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Congratulations! I think you'll soon be averaging 55 seconds or so with whichever method you're using. Is it layer-by-layer, or Roux, or something like edges-corners, or another method?

55 seconds?!? Back when I could solve them, (when they were new) I think the best I managed was 2 minutes, with a layer by layer method from a book I took out of the library (which had a rotary payphone)

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

I only know layer by layer, everything else sounds a little (very) complicated

17 minutes ago, Aerodynamic Kerbal said:

I only know layer by layer, everything else sounds a little (very) complicated

Awesome, that's definitely a tried-and-true method. I hope you enjoy your cubing journey!

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

55 seconds?!? Back when I could solve them, (when they were new) I think the best I managed was 2 minutes, with a layer by layer method from a book I took out of the library (which had a rotary payphone)

The first cubes were quite sticky, that may be a contributing factor. I got down to averaging maybe 40-50 seconds with a lucky best time of 21 seconds before going all in to CFOP (which had already been invented :D). Nowadays if I try solving using only layer-by-layer on a modern speedcube I can almost crack 20 seconds.

In any case, people will call you smart no matter what speed you solve it at, and they will say: "You can solve it in (X) seconds/minutes? It would take me (X) years!"

Edited by cubinator

13 minutes ago, cubinator said:

In any case, people will call you smart no matter what speed you solve it at, and they will say: "You can solve it in (X) seconds/minutes? It would take me (X) years!"

Indeed. But I got all y’all beat, this is how I solved them. 

More or less… <_<

aLnPtuC.gif

In school years, I was shocking others by solving it less than a minute, by learning the sequence of rotation formulas from "Science and Life" magazine.
It was a pure cheating, as I have no idea how to solve it in honest way.

https://www-pscraft-ru.translate.goog/kak-sobrat-kubik-rubika-zhurnal-nauka/?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ru&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Also, but in Russian, several veideo instructions .
https://playlab.ru/club/instructions/

On 7/12/2023 at 8:06 PM, TheSaint said:

They're just stickers, you know.... ;)

Yeah, my kids tried solving it that way, but they never stick the same again…

@cubinator well, you got this thing beat…

https://imgur.com/gallery/crFWetK

But maybe not this one…

https://i.imgur.com/jAw07sw.mp4

Edited by StrandedonEarth