What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

3 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Yes, basically an cartoon train with an face. Newer seen the show so not sure if more than the face animates in way other than a train, 

As for a tender, I guess you could add one to a tank engine for longer range but tenders tend to be highly integrated like seen on the locomotive above. 

You can’t because tank engines have a closed rear area. There would be no way to access the coal without extensive modifications.

4 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

You can’t because tank engines have a closed rear area. There would be no way to access the coal without extensive modifications.

Makes sense, if its open you could fall down  in the gap to the first wagon stepping back to far, not good in an moving train.
As some said extensive modifications, the tender is not just a wagon with coal right after the locomotive its part of it as seen in the OP image

Spent entirely too long today canning up some homemade filling for apple… π … <_<

ALoUr05.jpg

We now have 13 pints of the stuff. And I don’t even like apple pie that much.

sB72dsm.jpg

But, with that, the year’s canning is finally done. Still have some lingering peppers to dry but when WWIII breaks out tomorrow and brings nuclear Armageddon, we might die of terminal diabeetus but we certainly won’t starve. ^_^

Tonight im having my 2nd fire in my chiminea for this month. One of the logs i put in earlier in the day long before starting the fire was/is flat and wide, like 7-8 inches wide side to side and like 3 inches thick. I started my fire about an hour ago as i type. This one log has BARELY BURNED!! Its been such a PITA forcing me to use a second starter after using 1 and 4 fatwood. Guys if you make a camp fire or fire in a pit/chiminea and you have a wide and flat log either put it up higher in your stack if you have a bed of ash already or put something under it to cant it at an angle or just to get air under it. Ive had to fight this for an hour with an alarming amount of smoke. Just glad its night and my neighbors who dont know i have a chiminea cant see the plume. As i type fire side here its now arranged in a way that fire is now inching under it but its not a safe bet this will be easy. Making for a fun interactive if smoky affair.

its been about 40 minutes since the above was posted. I began this fire around 0030 so just about 90 minutes ago. Normally my fires last about 2 hours give or take. Normally by this far in my first logs are just about if not fully consumed. But this fire? My wide base log is only about 50% consumed and the log that was above it (one of the 3 i started with, base log was first one placed then this was the 2nd one placed) is about 25% if that much. Ive still 2 more waiting to go in. Had not expected my fire to go this long… not complaining but rather marveling at how badly my initial set up affected burn efficiency. 

My fire was started at about 0030 as you know. Its 0404 as i type and its finally down to near full ember status. Was a warm and very interactive fire. Now after this ill let the ashes cool for a few days before i scoop them away. Remember yall mind your initial set up and arrangement! 

Edited by AlamoVampire

• 2 weeks later...

We went on vacation last week, took a cruise to Alaska. Alaska was wonderful. (Pics in the spoiler.)

Spoiler

33xEGTRh.jpg

MEiYyLsh.jpg

DXz6dPeh.jpg

TIFdGaLh.jpg

However, the cruise itself was not wonderful. The quality of the food and service was way below what we were expecting based on cruises we've taken in the past, despite the fact that this was one of the most expensive vacations we've ever taken. It was very disappointing. That, combined with the other news we received last week, made me come back feeling like I needed a vacation after I got back from my vacation.

8 hours ago, TheSaint said:

We went on vacation last week, took a cruise to Alaska. Alaska was wonderful. (Pics in the spoiler.)

Reveal hidden contents

33xEGTRh.jpg

MEiYyLsh.jpg

DXz6dPeh.jpg

TIFdGaLh.jpg

However, the cruise itself was not wonderful. The quality of the food and service was way below what we were expecting based on cruises we've taken in the past, despite the fact that this was one of the most expensive vacations we've ever taken. It was very disappointing. That, combined with the other news we received last week, made me come back feeling like I needed a vacation after I got back from my vacation.

Beautiful pictures!

16 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Reveal hidden contents

33xEGTRh.jpg

MEiYyLsh.jpg

DXz6dPeh.jpg

TIFdGaLh.jpg

Then go on another vacation :)

and, on a more serious note,

My condolences to you and your family; I'll send y'all my thoughts and prayers :purpleheart:

On 10/19/2023 at 11:45 PM, TheSaint said:

The quality of the food and service was way below what we were expecting based on cruises we've taken in the past, despite the fact that this was one of the most expensive vacations we've ever taken. It was very disappointing.

The summer was short, the igunaq was not enough aged.

Spoiler

1024px-Walrus_meat_1_1999-04-01.jpg

What I think about, when hear about the cuisine of Far North.

(Caution, photos.)

https://www-ochevidets-ru.translate.goog/blog/47187/?_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=ru&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Learned a funky quirk of modern english. The following are all100% grammatically correct afaik but feel wrong:

Do not you dare

(requires the question to demonstrate the opening point) are you going to the store? I’m.

there are more like my 2 examples but you get my point. Enjoy feeling wrong!

The other day i ordered a copy of the new Predator movie Prey and today arrived. I just popped it into my PS5 to watch and it gives me a language selection popup. Normal stuff to expect when a movie has multiple language dubs. What I did NOT expect and find absolutely AWESOME is that COMANCHE is a choice!!! I know this takes place in the past and involves native american peoples based on the one preview i saw months ago, but to see the Comanche nation honored like this by (guessing their nation is the nation involved in the movie) having their people lend and immortalize their language is awesome!

23 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

@Just Jim idk if the forum is broken or what but i dont see your quote of me and your subsequent response to it. All i see is my post from 1631 and a notification stating you quoted me.

Hmmm.... weird. I think I may have accidentally deleted it???  
I was just agreeing with you

On 10/19/2023 at 12:45 PM, TheSaint said:

Reveal hidden contents

33xEGTRh.jpg

MEiYyLsh.jpg

DXz6dPeh.jpg

TIFdGaLh.jpg

alaska, who would want to go there. 

is that the mendenhall? never looks the same twice. 

Edited by Nuke

16 hours ago, TheSaint said:

LOL.

Actually it's Margerie Glacer, at the top of Glacier Bay.

oh, ok. the mountains kind of looked familiar. glaciers are a weird amorphous thing that will look completely different in a few months. its just juneau gets a lot of cruise ships and the glacier is one of the bigger destinations. of course the criuse ships really dont give you much time , enough to get to the visitors center and back, certainly not enough time to hike the trails and get to the makeout spots (speaking from experience). 

got back from anchorage, met my sister and her brood (iteration 2). met my new nephew, he was just the happiest little sack of potatoes. my niece was listing to gwar on my ipod. she's in preschool.  sis finally started her vet tech program.

Edited by Nuke

Question: wet roads + front wheel drive hatchback + over acceleration (spinning tires) + turning = ? Well if you are the idiot i just had the pleasure of watching less than 5 minutes ago? Spinning your car into a concrete jersey barrier.

Spoiler

If youre unfamiliar with the term:Jersey_bw_1024x_82802853-61b3-4b58-9b18-

The driver decided that since its 0245(when it happened) that they were going to try to peel out/power slide around a turn. Well one, thats hard as heck in a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE, two its been raining off and on so its wet which makes the exceedingly hard nigh impossible and three when your drive and steer wheels are spinning and making noise you have less traction and in the wet youve got none. So they spin and i hear the thunk as he nails the barrier. After 5-10 seconds he drives off into a parking lot to assess the damage of stupidity. Nice to see a bit of instant karma happen and that the only involved car was the idiot. I suspect a good bit of body damage to the car and pride. I doubt they will learn though.

1 hour ago, Minmus Taster said:

I know this doesn't exactly meet the first criteria for this thread but it seems as though I have the ol' Covid. Feeling awful :/

I hope you feel better; I had it recently and it was like a case of bad allergies BUT I was stuck in Hawaii so I couldn't do much :\