What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

1 minute ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

That's gotta have been a hoot! 

It was. My son got to go as well. He's gotten to ride in 3 Duesenbergs (that's how many have been next door, lol, not counting the one that is just a (drivable!) chassis), and now the Speed 6. The Model A and J Duesenbergs are not super rare as types—though the ones my neighbor buys are always rare, that's his thing—but the Model X he donated to the Duesenberg Museum was 1 of 4 that exist, and they all have different bodies (Jay Leno has 1 of the other Xs, I think).

I got to ride in a Porsche 935 as a kid.  Not the same thing - but I remember the sense of doing something rare and a little bit absurd and a tad dangerous all at once.  (Your neighbor is taking a collector's item for a spin - which, of course, what else do you do with a car?) 

It's funny... While at the time it was a signal event and a source of pride were the opportunity to present itself today, I'd take the ride you got! 

Simply classic! 

No kidding, it's pretty cool. What;s even funnier is that by far now the car make I've most worked on mechanically in the last couple decades is a Duesenberg. I'll get a text asking if I'm around, next thing you know I'm helping pull the Model X apart. Helps that he has a lift in his garage.

Im not sure if I want to scream or laugh. Im doing a sector in MSFS as SWA2325 to Charlotte.

Im using the built in AI for ATC as I dont want to think hard rn with VATSIM.

this just happened:

ATC: Southwest 2325 climb and maintain FL290.

Me: Climb and maintain FL290. Southwest 2325.

ATC: Southwest 2325 Contact Houston Center on 119.175. Good day.

Me: 119.175 for Southwest 2325.

Me: Houston Center Southwest 2325 passing FL270 for FL290.

(2 more frequency changes happen)

(I arrive at FL290 and await further climb instructions, none are given) then:

ATC: Southwest 2325 please expedite your climb to FL370.

(thinking: cant start up to it until ya tell me to so why are you telling me expedite like Im just ignoring you? So i set my MCP for 37000 and hit ALT INTV to command it to climb…)

do I scream? Laugh? AI atc is buggy at best… its why I joined vatsim lol. Guess I just gotta give up AI, but I want my EFB (electronic flight bag) with chart access first lol

You see on your FMC on the legs page as the next waypoint: JONZE 250/11000 FL210 rng: 25NM

you hear: Southwest 2325 please expedite your climb to FL310.

problem? I need to be below FL210 and climbing will prevent me from getting below the restriction… AI atc is killing me…

Edited by AlamoVampire

Best thing was showing up in small towns for gas, or like the group shot of cars above at a little period museum near the BNSF rail yard, then random guys come up to ask the owners questions, take pics, etc, and the owners of these gajillion dollar cars instantly start showing the guys the engines, etc. Car bros talking cars—even when unknown to the guys that walked over from the railyard, there's ~$20M in cars in front of them, and the guy there are talking to has a garage full of cars that looks like a hanger on the Death Star.

Edited by tater

I chatted with a fellow behind my office today.  He works for a neighboring business that makes some fairly mundane/everyday electrical components. He told me that some of their sensor parts are on a Mars rover, and they’ve got some that are going on Artemis as well. I googled the company and it turns out they also have stuff on JWST. Mind sufficiently blown.

Needless to say, I invited him to come back and chat ANYTIME he likes. :D

( I’d be more specific but I’d end up doxxing myself.)

15 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

… and try to figure out how we’re actually gonna afford the dang thing… :confused:

My buddy has had a reservation for one of those for a while. Course he's the guy with the insane old cars, money is not really an object. I'm just waiting on my Cybertruck, though we might get a second BMW, then my wife and I will drive those and my son can drive the rover.

Fun story! I have a package I bought on ebay coming to me by fedex from himeji japan, specifically it likely left japan from Kansai International Airport in Osaka which is right next to Himeji. My tracking data shows it was in transit by 0211 jst 10-22-2022 and out of curiosity I googled fedex flights for 10-22-2022 and 2 left that airport around 10-30 minutes after my package was last scanned in japan. Well I followed both flights FDX 12 and FDX60 which departed Osaka around 0220 & 0240 JST on 10-22-2022. FDX60 was the 2nd flight out between them. Now here is where this gets trippy. My tracking data shows my package scanned into Memphis TN into the main hub for FedEx at 2345 10-21-2022. This kinda links up with the rough landing, taxi and off load of the 777 that was FDX60!!!! So im geeking out at quite possibly having watched my package fly across the Pacific and the continental US. Im a nerd and proud of it!

nerdy and geeky update:

i just checked on my package. While i am fairly certain i know which of the above 2 flights my package left Japan on this morning (10-22-2022) I know for 100% certainty what flight my package just took from Memphis to me. As an av geek (who as i write this am doing a flight from my city to Denver and am descending into it lol) I am geeking out knowing how my package spent today and on what exact aircrafts carried it. A 777 and 767 respectively :D 

Edited by AlamoVampire

Ok, so this morning I decided that I would go to my local library to do something and well saw something.  So, Im in line to handle what I went to do and just being bored and looking around. Thats when I saw  it. My library like any building really has exterior lights. Nothing unusual or interesting. That is unless you actually look AT the lights. On the portion of these lights that from my guess serves as a shade I saw something that made my jaw drop. In all the years I have gone to this library for books, neighborhood meetings and voting I NEVER noticed this. These lights have holes in them. Holes? I hear you asking why would holes drop my jaw. Great question! Well these holes are BRAILLE!!!!!!!!!! I stood there and stared for a good 60 seconds in pure dumbfounded disbelief!! Why would anyone put BRAILLE HOLES that are not in a place a vision impaired person would look for braille? I get putting braille at a door or elevator, but halfway up a 15 plus foot column on a light??? Anyone familiar with architecture want to weigh in on this?

Edited by AlamoVampire

50 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Why would anyone put BRAILLE HOLES that are not in a place a vision impaired person would look for braille? I get putting braille at a door or elevator, but halfway up a 15 plus foot column on a light???

I'd guess they did it as an ornament. 

They did something similar on some exits for Victoria Underground Station in London:

800px-201909_london_victoria_underground

At the London Underground exits, the Braille code simply spells the name of the street the exit is located on. Do you know what the Braille at your libraries lights spells out?