What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

50 minutes ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

I saw a car on fire. The Fire Department showed up within like 5 minutes, thankfully. 

Coincidentally, last night I told my son about a time I popped the hood on a lady's car trying to put out an engine fire.  Thankfully someone grabbed me and yanked me back as the hood came open; big woosh.

Dumped the whole extinquisher in there... and the damn thing still dripped fire on the ground.

Firefighters told me I got lucky.  Just some singed eyebrows.

(Point being... unless you REALLY have to... don't.)

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

11 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Coincidentally, last night I told my son about a time I popped the hood on a lady's car trying to put out an engine fire.  Thankfully someone grabbed me and yanked me back as the hood came open; big woosh.

Yeah, pop it just enough to get the extinguisher nozzle in there…

2 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Next thing to invent: a swappable cargo hold for each truck - kind of like the aluminum things they put into planes. 

They’re called cargo containers and are already quite common /reinventing wheel

But I’m sure you already know that…

10 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Yeah, pop it just enough to get the extinguisher nozzle in there…

They’re called cargo containers and are already quite common /reinventing wheel

But I’m sure you already know that…

Where I don't see them is in the 'last mile' distribution.  Looks like there is/would be a benefit from having a fleet where you can get people to do a near-constant 'load the load' thing at the warehouse, with drivers pulling up and a new container getting popped in (gassers).  With EVs, given the longer charge necessary, now you could just park the truck and pick up a new one, swap containers and you're ready to go.

Value add?  Maybe.

8 hours ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

I saw a car on fire. The Fire Department showed up within like 5 minutes, thankfully. 

The last time we drove to California we wound up stuck in traffic behind a car fire. It was pulled over on the side of a single-lane freeway overpass, so there was only like 3/4 of a lane to pass on the left. And it was fully engulfed, like inferno-level. I was pulling up on it, and my wife was all, "I don't know if we should be passing this." I look in the rearview mirror, and I see the fire trucks coming up, and I know that if we wait they're going to shut the whole freeway down and we're going to be stuck for an hour. So I'm all, "Nope." Pulled around, scraped by the left wall as close as I could. It was really hot. We could feel it through the windows. My wife made a really funny squeaking noise.

On 12/1/2022 at 7:16 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Next thing to invent: a swappable cargo hold for each truck - kind of like the aluminum things they put into planes. 

The driver can return the truck to the distribution center and park it for charging and then a 'forklift' can pull out the cargo innards and swap to a fully charged vehicle - given that the sorting has already been done. 

They're called wooden pallets. I've personally wrapped a dozen of them in plastic wrap before the warehouse guy drove them onto a truck with his forklift.

Im getting ready to do a flight on MSFS2020 and i generated a flight plan on simbrief as i always do. It randomly generates a dispatcher name. Tonight i looked and couldnt stop laughing. If you ever watched the cartoon King of the Hill this name will get you giggling: Angel, Buckley.

once you see it snd connect it enjoy the inside joke with me, even if its a bit dark lol.

12 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Time to dig out the baby pics, lol!

Pro move! 

Edit - I just enjoy walking up to them, greeting the friends I know and introduce myself to those I don't. 

Apparently, that's "cringe" 

10 hours ago, TheSaint said:

They're called wooden pallets. I've personally wrapped a dozen of them in plastic wrap before the warehouse guy drove them onto a truck with his forklift.

A dozen? When I worked logistics, I wrapped over a dozen before lunch. Without the little roll holder thingamabob. Had a nice set of calluses from feeling the burn!

Then I got on the forklift and loaded the truck, 26 skids chimney-blocked....

But yeah, unloading and reloading a trailer at charging stop sounds rather inefficient...

11 hours ago, TheSaint said:

They're called wooden pallets

Snark! 

Yeah - funny note: that's apparently a pro-move that isn't as universal as one might think.  

The problem is with 'last mile' pallets don't work (especially when wrapped). I'm envisioning the entire shelved interior of the current trucks with a walkway for the delivery driver.   Packages can be sorted by the route at the warehouse and the whole interior container just plugged into the truck. 

54 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

When I worked logistics

...we used to wrap the new guy and 'put him on location'.  Then make the last new guy go find him. 

I suspect that would not fly today.  The 80s were a different time! 

7 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

A dozen? When I worked logistics, I wrapped over a dozen before lunch. Without the little roll holder thingamabob. Had a nice set of calluses from feeling the burn!

Then I got on the forklift and loaded the truck, 26 skids chimney-blocked....

Nice. I was an IT guy, so pallets weren't my thing. But I'm also a "if it needs to get done, do it" kind of guy. So when we needed to get stuff out the door, I wrapped pallets.

7 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

But yeah, unloading and reloading a trailer at charging stop sounds rather inefficient...

Well, if the trailer needs to keep moving, just swap trucks.

6 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

The problem is with 'last mile' pallets don't work (especially when wrapped). I'm envisioning the entire shelved interior of the current trucks with a walkway for the delivery driver.   Packages can be sorted by the route at the warehouse and the whole interior container just plugged into the truck. 

It depends on what you're delivering. If you're delivering packages, like UPS or FedEx, then yeah, palletization doesn't make any sense. But if you're doing bulk deliveries, like to a brick-and-mortar store, then it makes plenty of sense.

Maybe what you're looking for is something like the logistics pallets they use on the Ohio-class boomers. They're basically big aluminum boxes with shelving inside. They pull the forward escape trunk completely out of the boat, lower these pallets into the boat with a crane, and then once they're inside they plug 700-psi air hoses into their skirts and move them around on air cushions to get them where they need them. Once they're secured in place, they basically use them like storage cabinets. Then when it's time to resupply, the old ones get hauled out, the new ones get hauled in.

I have a bit of a conundrum on my hands… Im doing a flight from my home city to detroit. Been in the air about 30 min. I was blocked 21524 pounds of fuel but took 21624 pounds. Im currently burning fuel faster than anticipated. Not by much, but its enough of a difference that im concerned. My FMC predicts that i SHOULD have 8100 pounds at touch down in 760NM. My flight plan says at waypoint VELCO my next up in under 7NM i should have 16300 pounds, in reality i will have 16200 pounds. Im wondering if i should bump from FL370 to FL380 or just hang out below the optimal altitude computed by my FMC… is the fuel burn to climb worse than the fuel burn at 1000 feet below FMC calculated optimal? As i end this post i now have 721NM left until Detroit…

made my mind up. Requested FL380. I saw my fuel burn start to match my flight plan and my FMC is showing my climb bought me 200 pounds of efficiency going from 8100 to 8300 predicted remaining in 668NM

Edited by AlamoVampire

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

Headwind?

Actually tailwind. My PFD is showing: a ground speed of 508kts a total airspeed of 442kts and winds are currently 275° at 91-92kts and im on heading 053, winds are coming from my 8oclock

im getting a rather bouncy ride tbh. So much so im being held at 38140 and im assigned FL380 lol

flying a 737-700 by pmdg

new FMC prediction: 8400 pounds of fuel at touch down, ideal cruise per FMC is FL382, but i have 449NM until touchdown.

final edit for this flight. Landed in detroit, 7900 pounds remaining when i thought to look, so i likely landed with 7900 pounds left. Flight was 2 hours 35 minutes 14 seconds. 

Edited by AlamoVampire

Every couple years we try to go to a Canucks game. One kid is a Habs fan, the other is a Tampa fan. A couple years ago, while pricing tickets, I noted that for less than the price of the cheapest, highest Montreal tickets (always a huge draw in Vancouver when the Canadiens are in town), we could get tickets to a Lightning game for Row 5 in the lower bowl, so that's what we did. One week before the game, the world shut down.... :mad:

Fast forward a couple years. Habs ticket prices aren't as stupid as they were two years ago, so we got tickets in the nosebleeds, second to last row. But being a newer arena with a fairly steep seating slope, it was still a pretty good view.

Typical Canucks. Come out strong but didn't score, then in what seemed like a blink of the eye it was 4-0 Montreal after the first period, and some people are already heading for the exits. But we stuck around to get our money's worth, and wow did we ever!

Starting goalie Spencer Martin (regular starter Demko was injured) was pulled in favor of backup Collin Delia, playing his 33 career NHL game and first for the Canucks. He was tested early, which is always a good way to get into the game.

Less than 5 minutes left in the second, and the tables turned, becoming 4-2 after two. The rally continued in the third, with the Canucks ultimately taking a 5-4 lead by midway through the third. But as has been the story this year, they blew that lead and went down 6-5, only to tie it up again on the PP with the goalie pulled with 1:25 left, and then Petterson won it 13 seconds into overtime! What a roller coaster ride!

That's the first time they overcame a four-goal deficit since 1973, according to the news articles. Best quote from the news: 

Unable to figure how to defend leads and win, now they don’t even know how to lose properly. Canuck teams don’t come back from 4-0 late in the second period. They don’t score seven goals in the final 23½ minutes.

Definitely got our money's worth!