What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

As a rookie driver, I never dare to drive above 30km/h in a residential area. Always keep the speed around 20~25. And this "cowardice" saved me from the first possible car accident of my life today: just as I was driving cautiously through an alley, three kids suddenly burst out of a line of parked car in that alley.

No one was hurt except for my voice which was a bit hoarse from cursing.

Edited by steve9728

I'm not one to pay for TV, since I don't really watch much TV. So the only streaming service we really have at this point is Amazon, just because we do use Amazon Prime for shipping. But today I have finally been tempted to sign on to Apple TV+. Not to watch For All Mankind. Not to watch Ted Lasso. Not to watch Severance. But to watch The Greatest Beer Run Ever. That is right up my alley. :D

On 1/15/2023 at 8:31 PM, steve9728 said:

Have a date. Honestly my mind wasn’t totally on her all day, but on how this big new metro station where we interchange the different line is so that big.

30-D30310-48-F1-4-DB9-AF10-53-CD02-FC809

Have to said that the cities with little urban history really have certain advantages in underground transport planning.

Recently it has been frequently necessary to travel from the city centre to the suburbs with our group and mentor. Then this station basically passes by every day. Interestingly thing is, this station seems to have turned into some kind of tourist attraction. I can see people who were taking photos (or video maybe) by jumping around, lying on the ground, doing holds and even speaking Spanish at this station.

Edited by steve9728

Was at the renfair today watching the Washer Well Wenches and I looked down for a moment and saw the absolute tiniest feather on my shirt. Was a black and yellow feather. Given its diminutive size it had to come from a humming bird. If any ornithologists know what kind of humming bird(s) might have black feathers with yellow in the middle and a tiny black tip to them id be interested to know.

Impact award Las Vegas regional!! WE'RE HEADING TO MOTHER APPRECIATING HOUSTON!!!!!!!!

for context, we won the most prestigious award at a robotics competition which gives us a ticket to the highest level of competition where all the superstar teams are. THIS IS OUR GOAL THAT WE WORKTOWARDS EV#RY YEAR THIS IS T H E E N D GO AL AND THE GRADUATING SENOIRS WHO ARE VERY NMICE AND COOL PEOPLE WILL GET TO ATTEND TWOLDS AND WE HAVE SUC EDED

CHEESY POOFS HERE WE COME!!!@!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The matches were over, and we had been eliminated from the robot competition. We were all in the bleachers, all feeling tired and depressed. Our only chance at going to Worlds was the impact award. I personally was told that other teams are really competitive for this, so I thought it was hopeless. As the judges started to announce, I said to my teammate sitting next to me, "it's not gonna be us".

The judges started with the big announcement.

"Here's what the judges had to say about our First Impact Award winner."

[thing kinda sorta describing us]

[thing describing us i guess]

[no. it can't be us. it can't be us.] (me in denial because i didn't want to be disappointed)

[NO WAY NO WAY NOPE NOPE]

[NO. NO. NO NO NO NO. NO.]

"Please join me in congratulating team-"

[HOLY CRAP]

"TWENTY FOUR TWENTY NINE!"

[AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *gets tackled by teammate* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA]

WE 

F---ING

DID 

IT

this is an eyesore but still posting it

3 hours ago, LHACK4142 said:

Impact award Las Vegas regional!! WE'RE HEADING TO MOTHER APPRECIATING HOUSTON!!!!!!!!

for context, we won the most prestigious award at a robotics competition which gives us a ticket to the highest level of competition where all the superstar teams are. THIS IS OUR GOAL THAT WE WORKTOWARDS EV#RY YEAR THIS IS T H E E N D GO AL AND THE GRADUATING SENOIRS WHO ARE VERY NMICE AND COOL PEOPLE WILL GET TO ATTEND TWOLDS AND WE HAVE SUC EDED

The matches were over, and we had been eliminated from the robot competition. We were all in the bleachers, all feeling tired and depressed. Our only chance at going to Worlds was the impact award. I personally was told that other teams are really competitive for this, so I thought it was hopeless. As the judges started to announce, I said to my teammate sitting next to me, "it's not gonna be us".

[no. it can't be us. it can't be us.] (me in denial because i didn't want to be disappointed)

[HOLY CRAP]

[AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *gets tackled by teammate* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA]

WE 

F---ING

DID 

IT

Congrats!

6 hours ago, LHACK4142 said:

[HOLY CRAP]

WE 

F---ING

DID 

IT

CONGRATS!!!!!!

8 hours ago, LHACK4142 said:

[HOLY CRAP]

WE 

F---ING

DID 

IT

Congrats! Uh, what was the impact award for? Hardest hitting?

i accidentally freaked out my senior at work about AI. Showed him a demo of chatGPT and Midjourney and he freaked out!! Told him how our jobs as bankers would be taken over by AI, and that t even creative arts are not sacred, let alone the work that we do.. He started writing a letter against the use of AI to our regional office LOL!! :D

5 minutes ago, Selective Genius said:

i accidentally freaked out my senior at work about AI. Showed him a demo of chatGPT and Midjourney and he freaked out!! Told him how our jobs as bankers would be taken over by AI, and that t even creative arts are not sacred, let alone the work that we do.

Me, a banking industry consultant: :wink:

(One of my junior coworkers is going through her ChatGPT Fascination stage)

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Congrats! Uh, what was the impact award for? Hardest hitting?

"The FIRST Impact Award (formerly Chairman’s Award) is the most prestigious award at FIRST, it honors the team that best represents a model for other teams to emulate"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, LHACK4142 said:

"The FIRST Impact Award (formerly Chairman’s Award) is the most prestigious award at FIRST, it honors the team that best represents a model for other teams to emulate"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice, I assume it means you and your team conducted yourselves well. Similarly:

My kid’s hockey team won an achievement award, I think it was for not taking a ton of penalties over the season as well as not having to kick any badly behaving parents out of the stands. One other team even got kicked out of an out-of-town tournament because the parents were drunk and disorderly at at least one game!

28 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Nice, I assume it means you and your team conducted yourselves well.

It's for that, but also for having an impact on your community. In our case, we hold an annual E-waste drive that handles over a ton of E-waste, partner with various groups such as the Girl Scouts, hold a Speaker Series where we invite JPL scientists to speak about their projects, and more.