SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Did you intentionally grab a screenie from an earlier B1060 launch, or was that just a happy accident?

Michael Sheetz tweeted them, but it was easier to see by just using the screenshots he posted vs the cropped tweet thumbnails

7 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Using a company wide email to distribute something like this without approval definitely sounds like a bad idea. I don't know if that alone is justification to fire these employees, but they definitely screwed up.

I think that the main tension here is the fact that there is not a bright line between Elon's personal statements and SpaceX's official statements. Elon's Tweets are often official statements on SpaceX's doings. Sometimes this is really cool (such as when we get to see glimpses of technical details or decisions through his Tweets), but other times this doesn't work out so well. If any other employee said some of the things Elon regularly posts on his Twitter through an official channel, then they would be fired on the spot.

In my opinion, reserving the SpaceX Twitter for official statements while letting Elon do whatever he wants (but making it explicitly clear that none of the Tweets from his account are official company statements) would be the best solution. Let Elon be Elon (even if plenty of folks may disagree with him), but let SpaceX be SpaceX. That's my $0.02, at any rate.

Edited by Silavite
OK, done writing now

8 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

A lot of companies talk about wanting an open culture, although it can be really risky sometimes to dare to test it out. (I should add, however, I don't know if SpaceX claims to have an open culture or not.)

Although it certainly does show that SpaceX moves quickly. If I read that right, they posted the letter on Wednesday and were fired by Friday.

Edited by mikegarrison

I'll try very carefully to thread this needle. Im definitely sensitive that this is a cool weekend for launches and I have no intention of getting the thread locked.

3 hours ago, Silavite said:

In my opinion, reserving the SpaceX Twitter for official statements while letting Elon do whatever he wants (but making it explicitly clear that none of the Tweets from his account are official company statements) would be the best solution. Let Elon be Elon (even if plenty of folks may disagree with him), but let SpaceX be SpaceX. That's my $0.02, at any rate.

Exaaaacctlllyyy. I think that would be best both for SpaceX and for Elon. 

3 hours ago, Silavite said:

Using a company wide email to distribute something like this without approval definitely sounds like a bad idea. I don't know if that alone is justification to fire these employees, but they definitely screwed up.

I dont think SpaceX hires very many fools. They had to expect getting fired was a possible or probable consequence. There are times in life when you've got to decide between what the bosses want, or what you'll get rewarded or punished for, and what you feel is morally right. We all make our choices. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

1 hour ago, tater said:

Homepage_Desktop.webp

8 hours

Given the 700kg payload, gotta wonder what else in there to justify the ASDS landing.

A classified US govt payload is listed on Wikipedia as co-manifested. So definitely something meaty.

2 hours ago, RCgothic said:

A little bit of Raptor info:

It feels like Elon mentions making life multi-planetary so often it might as well be a meme.

Imagine if after every news update on Apollo, it ended in “this is the only way to beat the Soviets to the Moon” :happy:

2 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

beat the Soviets

Not 100% sure - but I'm guessing the US back then was a more supportive environment... and didn't need to be reminded as much.

Today's America?  

Space is...

Oh look! Another Chinchilla video!

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

2 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

It feels like Elon mentions making life multi-planetary so often it might as well be a meme.

Imagine if after every news update on Apollo, it ended in “this is the only way to beat the Soviets to the Moon” :happy:

More like contemporary Apollo coverage mentioning landing men on the Moon, since that was the goal (regardless of the underlying geopolitical rationale).

That's the entire purpose of SpaceX, making life/humanity/consciousness multiplanetary.

To the extent Musk mentions business WRT space, he always talks about reducing the cost to space by orders of magnitude.