The most kerbal flat-earther I have yet to see

KSK

5 hours ago, Scotius said:

I think they wouldn't want to go anyway. First: space to them doesn't exist. Second: what if you'd want to kill them to cover the Big Conspiracy? :D

This, its 1) Trolls 2) People who want to believe in the ultimate conspiracy 3) people who desperate want to belie because of religious or similar reasons. 
As pointed out that earth is round has been know for thousands of years, yes even with the curve at horizon it could still be flat if small as in the Mediterranean. Once you cross equator or travel far north this break down hard, How do you explain that the sun don't rise above the horizon during winter? Yes it has been known since the stone age but not recorded until far later, it was obviously known during early medieval time.

One fun religious issue is the Muslim Ramadan, you are not allowed to eat or drink then the sun is up, obviously this is an challenge if the sun never set, this was settled in that you can eat after 21:00 if sun set lather the same time as the the rule of lowering flags if sun is up long. Don't know if its any rules for the southern hemisphere, on an base in Antarctica you might ignore Ramadan, you can still celebrate Id. 

When you think about it, isn't a conspiray theory the modern iteration of religion?

You have:

-Rituals (that can be as silly as "Letting some vinegar evaporate to destroy chemtrails" [NOT MAKING THIS UP])

-Beliefs in the existence of a greater power (The Conspiracy, although it is evil)

-Said great power has quite a few supernatural tools under his belt, that is creating disasters (HAARP), mind control, planet busting (LHC), magical poison (chemtrails),...

-The following of a messiah (Alex John, David Ike Icke, and so on)

-Said messiah often uses it to grab quite a bit of cash, too...

-Other religions are bad (No matter what happens, then invariably Jewsdidit/ThePopedidit because they apparently work for the Illuminati)

Edited by MinimalMinmus

@MinimalMinmus, I think you can go wider. These properties are not specific to supernatural beliefs. Most of them are typical hardcore tools used to instill group cohesion. The Cultural Revolution and its occasional bonding over consumption of political opponents say "hi".

17 minutes ago, DDE said:

@MinimalMinmus, I think you can go wider. These properties are not specific to supernatural beliefs. Most of them are typical hardcore tools used to instill group cohesion. The Cultural Revolution and its occasional bonding over consumption of political opponents say "hi".

That's pretty omnious, when you think about it...

They call the governement a conspiracy...

But as of the true conspiracists...

IT WAS THEM ALL ALONG, AUSTIN

36 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

That's pretty omnious, when you think about it...

They call the governement a conspiracy...

But as of the true conspiracists...

IT WAS THEM ALL ALONG, AUSTIN

Then its not hidden it don't count. 
So congress don't count, now if some politicians do back room deals its both legal and an secret conspiracy, they want to keep it secret because the deal might be unpopular among many.

Way worse you have stuff like EU: holding 25% or something of planetary GNP. G8 who is loose but probably hold the majority of it, OPEC who once controlled most of the oil production and NATO with most majority of firepower in the world. None of them have to hide :)

9 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Way worse you have stuff like EU: holding 25% or something of planetary GNP. G8 who is loose but probably hold the majority of it, OPEC who once controlled most of the oil production and NATO with most majority of firepower in the world. None of them have to hide :)

There's also the good old metaconspiracy that the CIA used its contacts in the press to overapply the label in the wake of the JFK assassination to lump anyone doubting the official narrative in with Bigfoot hunters.

27 minutes ago, DDE said:

There's also the good old metaconspiracy that the CIA used its contacts in the press to overapply the label in the wake of the JFK assassination to lump anyone doubting the official narrative in with Bigfoot hunters.

Plot twist: actually the CIA/Illuminati/NSA/NASA/whatever have stopped understanding what's going on a long time ago.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/mad-mike-hughes-diy-rocket-launch-flat-earther-postpones-his-lift-off-after-launchpad-breakdown-1648912

He's planning on launching Tuesday at the earliest. His motorhome/ launcher was easily repaired, but BLM informed him that he wasn't allowed to launch over Amboy. Instead, he will be using a patch of private land in the area.

Best,
-Slashy

On 11/24/2017 at 1:41 PM, wumpus said:

It certainly sounds like that.  Note that 3000K steam should have an Isp similar to kerolox, but I can't imagine maintaining 3000K steam nor what you do as the pressure steadily drops.  I can't imagine any steam-based design that can't be converted into a much more efficient pressure-based liquid rocket (although converting to bipropellant at least doubles the complexity but I'd hate to work with monopropellants).

Yeah, He's just putting some water in a tank, heating it up, and popping the cork.

It should be noted that his Isp is way below kerolox because he's ejecting hot water along with the steam... Or "throwing out the bathwater with the baby" :D

Best,
-Slashy

16 hours ago, munlander1 said:

"I...I don't know how they did it... I am sure they faked it somehow!"

Know-know...

Spoiler

ball_10.jpg

P.S.
Will Squad make a DLC with necessary equipment to repeat this breakthrough?
Say, the second mission after "run around KSC gathering science":
"Make a steam rocket and check if Kerbin is flat."

I can imagine this guy going on the news afterward (assuming he survives) and saying, "Looked round to me. Sorry, boys, you were wrong."

Then the FES disowns him and accuses him of stealing their money to aid The Conspiracy. :D

29 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

I can imagine this guy going on the news afterward (assuming he survives) and saying, "Looked round to me. Sorry, boys, you were wrong."

Then the FES disowns him and accuses him of stealing their money to aid The Conspiracy. :D

20162F012F142Fea2Fdad_joke_ha.f3dd7.jpg

17 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

It should be noted that his Isp is way below kerolox because he's ejecting hot water along with the steam...

Not if you heat it to supercritical temperature. At that point, as the supercritical steam expands, and becomes sub-critical steam at some point, it remains above boiling point, so it exits as 100% steam. The effective ISP of a steam rocket is still surprisingly not bad. Under ideal conditions, starting from critical point, you can get about 30s out of it, which is about the same as black powder. The downside is that you need a tank that can hold a little over 22MPa, or just under 220 bar, which means you'll have a fairly heavy tank. For reference, a quick look up of steel diving cylinders, aluminum will simply melt, for 232 bar gives 15L and 16.5kg. At critical point, this will hold about 4.8kg of water. And that will get an empty tank up to over 170mph, which isn't bad, even if it's a far cry from 500mph that this guy is aiming for.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

He'll discover that the Earth is round. Not spherical...

Earth is more spherical than a billiards ball. Significantly smoother as well. When people point out that it's, in fact, a geoid, they are being unnecessarily pedantic. Deviation of Earth from perfect sphere is less than 1% between polar and equatorial radius.

Edited by K^2

18 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Earth is more spherical than a billiards ball. Significantly smoother as well. When people point out that it's, in fact, a geoid, they are being unnecessarily pedantic. Deviation of Earth from perfect sphere is less than 1% between polar and equatorial radius.

That's clear. I mean this:

Spoiler

Flat_earth.jpg