NASA CLPS Program

tater

8 minutes ago, tater said:

Friend at NASA kind of annoyed they are calling it a success. In somewhat harsher language. LOL

Another friend via text:

We unloaded your new refrigerator in your kitchen, ON ITS SIDE.

We successfully landed your airline flight ON ITS SIDE.

We dropped the dumpster in your driveway ON ITS SIDE.

You are describing my whole post save and reload KSP career. 

...as long as it's not a crater and can 'do science' it's a success. 

Rite? 

Rite? 

12 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I’m surprised the US and Japan have had so many issues. In contrast, China and India have had success in the past couple years by comparison (Chang’e 5 and Chandrayaan 3).

Well, the US landers were developed commercially, while JAXA seems to have proven a design (materials) problem with their engines. China is a more mature program, and India is the exception that proves the rule that space is HARD.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

36 minutes ago, tater said:

Friend at NASA kind of annoyed they are calling it a success. In somewhat harsher language. LOL

Another friend via text:

We unloaded your new refrigerator in your kitchen, ON ITS SIDE.

We successfully landed your airline flight ON ITS SIDE.

We dropped the dumpster in your driveway ON ITS SIDE.

The thing is sitting on the Moon, is working just fine, it isn't in a million pieces, and it was going less than a thousand miles an hour when it hit the ground. This is a "soft landing" accomplished in my book. Of all the milestones to fail during a moon landing, tipping gently over at the very end is the least concerning. They'll figure out what happened, and if the next one doesn't stand proudly upright they can just build wider landing legs.

1 minute ago, cubinator said:

The thing is sitting on the Moon, is working just fine, it isn't in a million pieces, and it was going less than a thousand miles an hour when it hit the ground. This is a "soft landing" accomplished in my book. Of all the milestones to fail during a moon landing, tipping gently over at the very end is the least concerning. They'll figure out what happened, and if the next one doesn't stand proudly upright they can just build wider landing legs.

They were not in the doghouse. Landing 101.

a6KWOWK.jpeg

Another article: IM-1 lunar lander tipped over on its side - SpaceNews

One tidbit that I don't recall being mentioned in this thread (emphasis mine):

Controllers discovered the problem with the lander’s laser rangefinders after going into orbit around the moon Feb. 21 and deciding to use them to more precisely measure the lander’s orbit, which was more elliptical than intended. The lasers, though, did not work, and engineers determined that a physical switch — a safety measure on the ground because the lasers are not eye-safe — was not flipped before launch.

So in other words, a pre-launch (closeout) checklist failure/omission. I'm assuming there was a checklist, but that the switch was not on said checklist. Too bad the switch could not be flipped remotely....

Edited by StrandedonEarth

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Another article: IM-1 lunar lander tipped over on its side - SpaceNews

One tidbit that I don't recall being mentioned in this thread (emphasis mine):

So in other words, a pre-launch (closeout) checklist failure/omission. I'm assuming there was a checklist, but that the switch was not on said checklist. Too bad the switch could not be flipped remotely....

Make it a DPDT switch such that if isn't flipped on, a blinking red LED in a  conspicuous location blinks incessantly and brightly

Better yet, just make it a big red plastic part that slides between contacts that power the laser.   The red plastic part is so big that it looks silly sticking out the side of the lander.  The lander won't even fit in the fairing with it in place.

Edited by darthgently

20 hours ago, cubinator said:

I wonder if they can get that third-person video of the landing and tipover, from that camera that they apparently launched out of the side(?). That would be especially exciting.

From what I've read, they're planning to try and launch that now.

On 2/23/2024 at 6:40 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, it is still sending (whispering?) data. Call it a partial success. Certainly not a full success if some instrumentation wasn't working on descent. Sort of the equivalent of "Any landing you can walk away from"

More like the equivalent of a landing you can crawl away from, with two broken legs. Like, it *could* have been worse, but not by very much.

16 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Too bad the switch could not be flipped remotely....

Manual lockouts are intentionally unable to be flipped remotely. They didn't want any chance that somebody was staring into a non-eye-safe laser when somebody remotely flipped a switch to turn it on.

12 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

More like the equivalent of a landing you can crawl away from, with two broken legs. Like, it *could* have been worse, but not by very much.

Well, somebody has probably made that joke, but anyway

13 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Manual lockouts are intentionally unable to be flipped remotely. They didn't want any chance that somebody was staring into a non-eye-safe laser when somebody remotely flipped a switch to turn it on.

F-15E_Strike_Eagle_57th_Wing_(2142699996

:D

On 2/24/2024 at 4:23 AM, tater said:

They were not in the doghouse. Landing 101.

a6KWOWK.jpeg

Change the lander design, falcon 9 fairing is 5 meter wide I think, its easier to hit an barn than an dog house. 
gX0fOIJ.png

This is my standard KSP lander, later version replace the legs with wheels. 
Yes KSP is not real world, one issue is heat from the engine and mass constrains is much more strict but an flatter lander makes sense. 

Too bad the surface plume experiment was a no go on Odysseus.  Here is a string of Twi/X posts by Dr. Phil Metzger about why the plume experiment is so important. I got the thread unrolled at this link for easier reading. I hadn't realized CFD had this Achilles heel, but yeah, no pressure, no viscosity. No viscosity, no Navier-Stokes 

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1761726379115045095.html

Starting to think these companies trying to land on the moon should take a page from pathfinder's book and build the thing so it has to open up and will right itself automatically no matter which way it lands.

This one seems like maybe it would have worked if they had, you know, prepped the vehicle properly prior to launch. Instead of something that had to be added, maybe a non-conductive pin holding a switch open with a "remove before flight" tag?

1 hour ago, tater said:

This one seems like maybe it would have worked if they had, you know, prepped the vehicle properly prior to launch. Instead of something that had to be added, maybe a non-conductive pin holding a switch open with a "remove before flight" tag?

Yeah, bit of a rookie mistake,  it seems. Lockouts should be obvious,  not latent. But that being said, the fact that they were able to salvage the landing (and the mission) to the extent that they did is impressive. By the sounds of it, it required a spectacular bit of engineering and software development under extreme time pressure to achieve the result that they did.

A bunch of years ago, I hosted a KSP forum challenge to reach the munar surface from LKO with miminum delta-V. The winning entry shaved off 100 m/s from what everyone thought possible by touching down at that horizontal speed and rolling to a stop. This kinda reminds me of that.