[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

Oh, so the parts share the models if its installed, but with MH stats if they are different, I didn't know that.

But still I have only MH because of the new bases, because y always disable or delete all the parts and mission editor. I think there's some similar mod that prunes all those modules for you, but only the Mission Editor and new Assets, so people that want the parts only could lesser the RAM usage.

Still thank you so much for the new update and the much needed bugfixes :D

On 5/22/2024 at 2:49 PM, Overlocker96 said:

... and new Assets, so people that want the parts only could lesser the RAM usage.

For the Vanilla assets that Restock replaces, it stops those Vanilla assets from loading so that they do not increase resource usage. Restock contains a small plugin to handle this and it is done upon game load... so please don't be concerned about trying to lessen the PC resource usage due to unnecessary Vanilla textures being loaded when using Restock.

Posted (edited)

What's this?! Two releases in two weeks?!

Restock v1.4.5
------

• Add drag cubes from KSP 1.12.5 Vanilla to the following parts (this should help a lot with re-entry with craft designed in Vanilla):
    • Probodobodyne QBE
    • Probodobodyne Stayputnik
    • Probodobodyne HECS
    • Probodobodyne OKTO
    • Probodobodyne OKTO2
    • Probodobodyne HECS2
    • RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit
    • RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit
    • R-4 'Dumpling' External Tank
    • R-11 'Baguette' External Tank
    • R-12 'Doughnut' External Tank
    • Heat Shield (0.625m)
    • OX-STAT Photovoltaic Panels
    • OX-STAT-XL Photovoltaic Panels
  • Fix engine attachment nodes on the Making History Kerbodyne Engine Cluster Adapter Tank.
  • New stock part replacement:
    • T-1 Toroidal Aerospike "Dart" Liquid Fuel Engine.

Restock+ v1.4.5
------

• Add part volumes for all parts under 2700L to allow for use with the stock inventory system (by mostly using KSP Part Volume mod to generate volumes).
  • Fix engine attachment nodes on the Kerbodyne SIV Fuelled Engine Adapter.

Available via GitHub, Spacedock and will be indexed on CKAN in due course.

Can we all issue a warm welcome to the Restock team, @Kavaeric, who has kindly developed the Dart Aerospike engine with us for this release. Not only does it feature an amazing heat emission visual but also includes a boat tail variant for all of you who want to use if for space planes and small lifters etc.

I3vPa4i.png

wrsp26u.png

Edited by Poodmund

On 5/27/2024 at 3:10 PM, Poodmund said:

What's this?! Two releases in two weeks?!

Restock v1.4.5
------

• Add drag cubes from KSP 1.12.5 Vanilla to the following parts (this should help a lot with re-entry with craft designed in Vanilla):
    • Probodobodyne QBE
    • Probodobodyne Stayputnik
    • Probodobodyne HECS
    • Probodobodyne OKTO
    • Probodobodyne OKTO2
    • Probodobodyne HECS2
    • RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit
    • RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit
    • R-4 'Dumpling' External Tank
    • R-11 'Baguette' External Tank
    • R-12 'Doughnut' External Tank
    • Heat Shield (0.625m)
    • OX-STAT Photovoltaic Panels
    • OX-STAT-XL Photovoltaic Panels
  • Fix engine attachment nodes on the Making History Kerbodyne Engine Cluster Adapter Tank.
  • New stock part replacement:
    • T-1 Toroidal Aerospike "Dart" Liquid Fuel Engine.

Restock+ v1.4.5
------

• Add part volumes for all parts under 2700L to allow for use with the stock inventory system (by mostly using KSP Part Volume mod to generate volumes).
  • Fix engine attachment nodes on the Kerbodyne SIV Fuelled Engine Adapter.

Available via GitHub, Spacedock and will be indexed on CKAN in due course.

Can we all issue a warm welcome to the Restock team, @Kavaeric, who has kindly developed the Dart Aerospike engine with us for this release. Not only does it feature an amazing heat emission visual but also includes a boat tail variant for all of you who want to use if for space planes and small lifters etc.

I3vPa4i.png

wrsp26u.png

Ah jeez Poodmund; you're gonna make me go and update Restock Waterfall Expansion :D

Props to everyone on the team!

On 5/31/2024 at 5:38 PM, Fizzlebop Smith said:

@Poodmund thank you for devoting time to this project. This returning to life has renewed my love of the title for a fresh playthrough

And as much as I'm trying to resolve, old, outstanding issues... concerning the new content, Kavaeric is the real star here. A perfect addition to the Restock crew.

Is there a version of the mod available where the "Make both versions available" option listed on the gitwiki is pre-applied or is that something I'd have to manually go through all of the files for personally?

11 hours ago, mattihase said:

Is there a version of the mod available where the "Make both versions available" option listed on the gitwiki is pre-applied or is that something I'd have to manually go through all of the files for personally?

I presume by 'both versions' you mean the Restock art and the vanilla game art. If that is the case, then, no. Replacing the majority vanilla game artwork is the main goal and ethos behind this mod to achieve the following:

• Create a unity of design and style for all parts
  • Preserve the general aesthetic of KSP
  • Create consistency in the detail level of all parts

Keeping the vanilla part models available is not something that this mod aims to cater for. If you want to hack them back in then its kinda on the end-user. The Wiki entry provides the instructions but you'll have to do the leg work.

ok fair does. I'm not really doing something I've seen done that often anyway so I can understand having to grease the old elbows.

Basically what I'm planning at the moment is a career save where I swap up the variants on parts as I go along to give myself a really strong visual indicator of what era of my career each craft comes from and I think restock would be a nice natural endpoint for that. I'm quite early on in the career though so I've got plenty of time to work away at the configs and add the restock variants in once I get to that point.

Hello Everyone,

First of all, thanks a lot of this amazing mod! I just reinstalled KSP1 after 2-3 years of not playing and installed this mod and mostly visual mods but I am encountering some weird issues and was wondering if its a me and incompatibility issue with other mods or if this was a known bug or just... working as intended?

I just started a career and the "Flea" engine (the first solid booster you start with) continues to burn or display a burning effect and make sound  even though it should have completely depleted its fuel. If I don't decouple it, it will keep providing thrust even though its empty.

Is that a known bug or I should sort out my mod list? Im quite puzzled because I only installed some QoL mods and graphic mods.

Anyways, thanks in advance for your help!

Edit: Also, the sound of the engine never stops. Even after its crashed on the ground.

Edited by Julzjuice

Question; The Mallet line of SRB's seems to have been deleted from the mod, at least I cannot see them in the tech tree, I see files in the mod that relate to them, but only .mu files? I am seeing career missions to test / haul, orbit etc. these ghost parts.  If delete the .mu am I gonna F something up?

56 minutes ago, Lillegre said:

Question; The Mallet line of SRB's seems to have been deleted from the mod, at least I cannot see them in the tech tree, I see files in the mod that relate to them, but only .mu files? I am seeing career missions to test / haul, orbit etc. these ghost parts.  If delete the .mu am I gonna F something up?

Thank you for this bug report. The issue was that some of the SRBs had been soft deprecated due to vanilla parts changing but the config files for these had not had the test contract patches removed. I've rectified this on my end and will be resolved in the next release.

And do not delete the .mu files. :D 

Confession: I love using the soft-deprecated SRBs. I know it doesn't make sense, but I like having the pair of the more efficient stock SRBs and the more powerful deprecated ones....

15 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Thank you for this bug report. The issue was that some of the SRBs had been soft deprecated due to vanilla parts changing but the config files for these had not had the test contract patches removed. I've rectified this on my end and will be resolved in the next release.

And do not delete the .mu files. :D 

Many thanks for the sanity check and all your hard work, if it was up to me, and it isn't! Restock should be the base game!

1 hour ago, Tangle said:

Confession: I love using the soft-deprecated SRBs. I know it doesn't make sense, but I like having the pair of the more efficient stock SRBs and the more powerful deprecated ones....

Sssshh... don't tell everyone our secrets. :D 

There are a few things going on in the background of Restock development that we will share in the not too distant future but I will share an insight into what I have been working on and will be working on over the next month or two...

An aerodynamics/drag cube update!

Its always been known that Restock does have some effect on the aerodynamics compared to the stock/vanilla game. This is mostly due to the way drag cubes are generated at start-up wherein the game will look at the front, side and top profiles of the parts and assume drag characteristics from these views. As Restock changes the models of the parts, if we don't manually specify the values for these drag cubes exactly as they are in stock, these minor changes in visual profile can generate different drag cube values and affect the aerodynamic characteristics of vessels in the game. Recently, VAOS and Matt Lowne both addressed this in recent videos of theirs (its nice to hear that VAOS said they'd take it on the chin and use Restock :D ).

One of Restock's goals as a mod is "do not affect gameplay or part balance," and this drag cube issue has always impacted our ability to meet this goal. As such, I've (stupidly, now I know the level of work involved) decided to address this and see if I can fix this for good.

I've gone through all the current Restock part patches and have edited all of the parts to ensure that they match the stock game setup as far as:

• useMultipleDragCubes = true (default/not specified)
  • useMultipleDragCubes = false 
  • useProceduralDragCubes = true

These three values specify whether a part should just have multiple sets of drag cubes for each variant, a single set of drag cubes across all variants of a part, or have them procedurally generated depending on what various things (engine plates, for example, have these done procedurally).

I've also created a patch that will sit outside of the part configs that patches every single Restock part, in a Module Manager pass after '000_ReStock' that deletes all drag cube that exist for each part then re-applys drag cubes to the parts, as specified in the vanilla KSP1 1.12.5 Steam distribution of PartsDatabase.cfg.

The final big piece of work that I am going to have to do that will be icing on the cake is that I'm going to have to go through this patch, part by part, and correlate the stock drag cubes with each of the part variants between stock and Restock, and where Restock has more variants, include additional cubes with either appropriate duplicates from stock, or use custom generated ones (I've generated custom drag cubes for all the Restock variants) for variants that have no appropriate stock variant shape/size.

vpkMKd1.png

*Sneak peak*

This is gonna take quite a lot of time and manual effort but at the end, we should ultimately have Restock in a place where users' crafts should experience the same aero between stock and Restock assuming they play with the vanilla Steam 1.12.5 drag cubes. To put it into perspective, there are around 260 parts in Restock and many have multiple variants and this task will require assessing every single variant, so please be patient. :D 

And, at that point, hopefully, Restock will not affect vessel aerodynamic performance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2024 at 8:19 AM, Poodmund said:

There are a few things going on in the background of Restock development that we will share in the not too distant future but I will share an insight into what I have been working on and will be working on over the next month or two...

Hey, if you're gonna tease that I'm gonna take the liberty to do some teasing of my own!

aLQVzsB.jpg

More parts where this came from, of course. See you all soon :>

Edited by Kavaeric

12 hours ago, Kavaeric said:

Hey, if you're gonna tease that I'm gonna take the liberty to do some teasing of my own!

aLQVzsB.jpg

More parts where this came from, of course. See you all soon :>

:0.0:YYYYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!:0.0:

I had believed for the longest time that I would never see the day when the bobcat was revamped! It was always so odd that it and the cheetah were left out from the parts revamps, and it's amazing to see it redone after many years! Thank you Kavaeric and the restock team!

(I have never freaked out so much at something in KSP lol!)

7 minutes ago, EnderiumSmith said:

Ive noticed work restarted on restock, but ive been put off by the drag cube part. I want the drag cubes to match the model. Its not like im bringing old ships in new saves so why should i care its slightly different? Can i get the new revamps with the correct drag cubes?

This touches on a few of the elements of 

On 6/12/2024 at 5:19 AM, Poodmund said:

(Snip)

will be working on over the next month or two...

An aerodynamics/drag cube 

[This is the Answer Regarding Time Frame]

This is gonna take quite a lot of time and manual effort but at the end, we should ultimately have Restock in a place where users' crafts should experience the same aero between stock and Restock assuming they play with the vanilla Steam 1.12.5 drag cubes. To put it into perspective, there are around 260 parts in Restock and many have multiple variants and this task will require assessing every single variant, so please be patient. :D 

And, at that point, hopefully, Restock will not affect vessel aerodynamic performance.

As far as I can tell reading the Mod Authors posts... the drag cube issue impacts ALL versions of Restock.

Drag Cubes are procedurally generated based on the changes applied by Restock.

All previous versions of Restock use the Same mechanic to make them. The current updated drag cube information with be patched to the newest release of Restock (which will most likely shoot for compatibility with 1.12.5) <-- per quote from author 

If you want the updated drag cubes.. then WAIT. Possible MONTHS. As the mod author must go in and manually edit part information for hundreds of parts.

Pretty Sure that "this is going to take quite a lot of time" .. maybe month and months

since this was posted a couple weeks ago I'm guessing the "revamp" drag cubes (for 1.12.5) will be out some time before september.

1 hour ago, EnderiumSmith said:

It doesnt seem to do. i want the drag cubes to be different, if theyre more accurate to the revamped models. i also dont play on 1.12.5 because its got some memory leak issues. i use 1.12.3

--- Merge Magic -- 

Keep up the Great work folks.. I never really cared about slight difference in drag and have preferred this over many other parts mods.

It meshes much better than those that don't curate a stock look.. I loaded up the newest version from Spacedock and think it looks better. 

A few TUFX filters and correct visual mods and it looks amazing.

Thanks be to all the modder who toil away tirelessly to bring us such awesome toys... kinda like santy klaws.