Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

8 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Try taking melatonin 30-60 minutes before bed, and avoid screens or any other blue-ish light ("daylight" LEDs, warmer, reddish LEDs are better for simulating sunset).

I once made the mistake of buying white LEDs. Oof. Turned the bedroom into an operating theater.

8 hours ago, DDE said:
16 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

and avoid screens or any other blue-ish light ("daylight" LEDs, warmer, reddish LEDs are better for simulating sunset).

I once made the mistake of buying white LEDs. Oof. Turned the bedroom into an operating theater.

The red light keeps you calm.

Spoiler

article-2019983-0D01A83100000578-319_634

Come home with people coming over (and tomorrow as well), long cooking food in the oven. Nice. Open dishwasher to empty dishes that were started this morning... soap visible, not washed. After some experimentation, it drains, it fills, but just hums instead of splashing water around. Call repair guy, he says what I already feared by looking stuff up before calling. Pump is dead.

This Kitchenaid is a 2019. Might have even gotten it in 2020, but whatever, it's at most 3 years old. ~$1000 and dead in 3 years. I can buy a new pump for >$350, then pay the guy to put it in for another $2-300—or I could spend the better part of a day learning how to take the thing completely apart and fix it to save a couple hundred bucks... except I want a new dishwasher NOW, so I am gonna buy another one, just not Kitchenaid. I'd get a Bosch, but they are backordered a YEAR unless I find one in stock in town. So annoying.

5 hours ago, tater said:

Come home with people coming over (and tomorrow as well), long cooking food in the oven. Nice. Open dishwasher to empty dishes that were started this morning... soap visible, not washed. After some experimentation, it drains, it fills, but just hums instead of splashing water around. Call repair guy, he says what I already feared by looking stuff up before calling. Pump is dead.

This Kitchenaid is a 2019. Might have even gotten it in 2020, but whatever, it's at most 3 years old. ~$1000 and dead in 3 years. I can buy a new pump for >$350, then pay the guy to put it in for another $2-300—or I could spend the better part of a day learning how to take the thing completely apart and fix it to save a couple hundred bucks... except I want a new dishwasher NOW, so I am gonna buy another one, just not Kitchenaid. I'd get a Bosch, but they are backordered a YEAR unless I find one in stock in town. So annoying.

See, I would just order the part, watch a bunch of YouTube videos, and make my kids do dishes in the sink for three or four days until the part shows up. Builds character.

We ran a Whirlpool for seven or eight years until it died. Running a Maytag now, been going strong for two years now. <knocks on wood>

10 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

make my kids do dishes in the sink for three or four days

Results:
3 clean plates
5 broken ones
A mangled spoon stuck in the garbage disposal
Half the silverware missing

And he rest of the dishes needing to be washed again

Edited by razark

35 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

and make my kids do dishes in the sink for three or four days until the part shows up.

Modern slavery...

25 minutes ago, razark said:

3 clean plates
5 broken ones
A mangled spoon stuck in the garbage disposal
Half the silverware missing

... and subsequent rebellion...

25 minutes ago, razark said:

And he rest of the dishes needing to be washed again

... have proven again the inefficiency of the forced labour.

41 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

See, I would just order the part, watch a bunch of YouTube videos, and make my kids do dishes in the sink for three or four days until the part shows up. Builds character.

We ran a Whirlpool for seven or eight years until it died. Running a Maytag now, been going strong for two years now. <knocks on wood>

1. I only have 1 kid in the house now.

2. He has homework weekdays, and works his job all day Saturday (he's had a real job over a year!)

3. I really don't think it's worth a couple hundred bucks to take the POS machine apart that never should have broken in <3 years, while giving kitchenaid another $354. That's the kicker. I hate the idea of giving them money (literally any money—I'd complain if they charged nothing but shipping for the part) for something that should not have broken so fast. I'd rather give a different outfit a multiple of that than reward kitchenaid by buying a part from them (even third party).

9 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

@tater fwiw my dishwasher is well past 25 years old and is an absolute unit. Its a maytag. Things an absolute beast. Is it the best out there? Probably not, but its kept going this long. Just thought id toss that out there for you.

Cool, Maytag. Looking tomorrow (will throw whatever in truck and install myself).

The guy on the chat for the local place (no kidding, local store has chat on their website) said that Bosch dishwashers are on backorder in the US for 12-14 months. Petrochemicals, whatever... politics in Europe right now. Yikes. (Was asking what they had in stock)

Maytag might be my best bet, lol.

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

i bought six bags of candy for haloween (mostly because we couldnt stop eating it) and we got 5 trick or treaters. 

That's a lot of candy.

We did our usual Halloween tradition: Everybody bought their favorite Halloween candy mix bag, we dumped them all in one big bucket, then we sat around in our pajamas all day, ate candy and finger food and watched a movie trilogy. This year the trilogy was: The Matrix Trilogy. Now when I tell my kids that there is a glitch in The Matrix, or that someone has been red-pilled, they get the reference.

We were prepared for trick-or-treaters (we just let them pick something from the bucket), but we didn't get a single one. Which hasn't been that unusual over the last few years. We don't have that many kids on our block, and I think most of them are growing out of it like ours are.

On 10/29/2022 at 1:26 AM, AlamoVampire said:

Maytag QuietSeries 300 Legacy Series

this is what mine is. Again for a dishwasher its old but, its built like a tank lol. Best of luck!

@tater

Turns out Kitchenaid/Whirlpool, Maytag, And at least 1 other are all the same company. I got one unknown to me, but they came to put it in and it was dented when they opened the box, now I am waiting til tomorrow. Would have gotten a bosch, but there were none in town, and we have houseguests this weekend.

Initially I was gonna get a Maytag, BTW, not knowing their connection to Kitchenaid, but the min height was 34.5"—which just fits on 1 side of my opening, the other side has plenty more space, but my floors are brick, so the chance of it catching and not fitting someplace in there meant they were already a no-go.

Edited by tater

1 hour ago, tater said:

Turns out Kitchenaid/Whirlpool, Maytag, And at least 1 other are all the same company.

This I did not know! Interesting thing to learn. Sorry that your dishwasher was dented, hopefully the replacement isnt. With a brick floor i dont blame your caution. No real way to know how the mortar and bricks have settled since being laid or how they will settle after you install the dishwasher. Best of luck!

19 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

This I did not know! Interesting thing to learn. Sorry that your dishwasher was dented, hopefully the replacement isnt. With a brick floor i dont blame your caution. No real way to know how the mortar and bricks have settled since being laid or how they will settle after you install the dishwasher. Best of luck!

No mortar, but yeah, they vary quite a bit—dry red brick over sand on top of a slab, no gaps.

The one corner is dead on 3.5", the other corner is about 3.75.

Wasn't until I was at the second store and I told the guy I wanted a stainless dishwasher but didn't want to give my money to kitchenaid, and he told me they were all the same. Knew the whirlpool connection from the guy talking about parts the other day. Frustrating.