Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

I'm in the process of making a coolant distribution block for my little cnc mill and dealing with pipe threads.

For example, I need what is called BSPP 1/4 inch thread, but you'll never guess how big it actually is. It is 0,518 inch. Yup, half an inch, and then some. Also, it uses 19 TPI thread pitch, so the fairly standard 20 TPI thread mill I have is useless. Oh, it's also 55° instead of some sane number like 60°.

Then there are parallel and tapered threads. but apparently it's ok-ish to use parallel male in tapered female thread.

What a mess. That Withworth guy should have been flogged for even suggesting such nonsense.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, tater said:

Horrific crash in Dallas today, two WW2 aircraft lost with all souls, a P-63 collided with a B-17.

I saw that. Just horrible. The way that P-63 just ran straight into the B-17, I have to imagine the pilot had some kind of medical issue or something. He obviously had clear view out of his canopy, but he didn't swerve or anything. Terrible.

21 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I saw that. Just horrible. The way that P-63 just ran straight into the B-17, I have to imagine the pilot had some kind of medical issue or something. He obviously had clear view out of his canopy, but he didn't swerve or anything. Terrible.

Looked to me like the Fort was under his nose. There are a few angles, and he seemed to be following a line of fighters, my guess is he was concentrating on the plane in front (up & left from the cockpit), and never saw the B-17.

I dunno. I looked at all the angles and it looked to me like if the P-63 pilot hadn't hit the B-17, he was going to fly a wide arc and run straight into the ground anyway. It looked like he was going faster than the others in the formation and banking too hard to the left and losing altitude. Which is why I was wondering if there was something else going on in the cockpit. But, it's not something to argue about. There's a ton of families grieving tonight, I'm just going to say a prayer for all of them.

30 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I dunno. I looked at all the angles and it looked to me like if the P-63 pilot hadn't hit the B-17, he was going to fly a wide arc and run straight into the ground anyway. It looked like he was going faster than the others in the formation and banking too hard to the left and losing altitude. Which is why I was wondering if there was something else going on in the cockpit. But, it's not something to argue about. There's a ton of families grieving tonight, I'm just going to say a prayer for all of them.

Yeah, the P-63 might have been mushing a bit. Ugh. I really hope it was just the minimum flight crew aboard the B-17 due to the airshow, and not with the extra several people they take on rides (I took a B-17 ride ~20 years ago, and I think there were 12 of us with the crew). Feel awful for the families.

I was away camping this weekend, so only found out about it when I got home today.  I'm kind of stunned, since this B-17 has been around my area for years, and I've seen her flying around many times.  I just saw her two weeks ago, when she was at the Houston airshow.

It looks like she wasn't carrying passengers this flight, at least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the charger for my wireless earbuds went tango uniform. the earbuds still work but without the little charging pod i cant recharge them. this is where normal people would call it e-waste, throw it out, and then pay an absurd ransom for a replacement. 

i am not a normal person. at first i gor out my spudger, opened the case, removed the battery and put it on my nitecore universal charger (its a nice little multi-chemistry charger that can charge practically any battery type including li-poly) by means of a fake battery (its made out of some pcb trimmings soldered together with a screw terminal in the middle). this resurrected the charger, at least for one charge. it ran itself down and it died again. the protection circuitry is probibly locking it out. the second time i opened it up, figured id run some wires to the battery, and punch some holes for continued recharging in the same way. upon reassembly i noticed the indicator leds were falling off the board, so i removed them and cleaned up the pads. the thing seems to be working now. i guess they were shoring something out. curse bad design.

• 1 month later...

Fedex is really frustrating me. I have a package ive imported from japan. It arrived in the US just before midnight on the 6th (just 30 minutes before it became the 7th) and was cleared by customs shortly after arrival (literally minutes after it was offloaded from the 777 it came from osaka kansai on. It left memphis (fedex main hub) a few hours later and was in my cities fedex distribution hub by 528am 1-7-23. The could have EASILY delivered it to me by the afternoon but instead? Oh no we cant be efficient oh no. They are deliberately holding my delivery off until MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY?!? Ugh

This is so true.

My wife is still excited after a couple decades of practice when she doesn't have to go in any days on the weekend. It's odd how even I have internalized the fact that we have to leave time for her to round even to do a day trip to Santa Fe, go hiking, etc.

i have to go get a $900 graphics card from the post office. but the ground is really icy. i have a horrific premonition of falling on my buttocks and dropping the thing and dashing any hope of a new graphics card this decade. 

Edited by Nuke

12 hours ago, Nuke said:

i have to go get a $900 graphics card from the post office. but the ground is really icy. i have a horrific premonition of falling on my buttocks and dropping the thing and dashing any hope of a new graphics card this decade. 

A cooler bag.

Spoiler

81Xp65OyXoL.jpg

12 hours ago, Nuke said:

It made it all the way from China, I'm pretty sure it can make it from the post office to your house. ;)

12 hours ago, Nuke said:

You could do worse and hit your something more vital.

5 hours ago, TheSaint said:

It made it all the way from China, I'm pretty sure it can make it from the post office to your house. ;)

5 hours ago, DDE said:

You could do worse and hit your something more vital.

on the way out i was handed a shopping list and i jarred my knee on the way up, so i just took a cab home. i haven't installed it yet, i was really tired and went to bed as soon as i got home. after 5 hours of sleep i decided to take care of internet things first and will be installing it in a couple hours. 

also after holding the card in my hand and realizing its one of the smaller ones, i will hence forth call video cards "render bricks". the thought that a component of this mass is held on by 2 tiny screws on a flimsy bracket and a pcie slot certainly gives me confidence in its structural integrity. i really want the forward bracket to become standard issue, or better yet a 4 point hard mounting system. im honestly even willing to use mortar at this point.