KSP2 Hype Train Thread

2 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Yes, but at the same time they may have caught some issues that never popped up during internal testing, but were severe enough to be placed high on priority list before tomorrow. 

Having two dozens or so more people will speed up bug hunting, even if they only had 2 hours. Devs got full recordings and game logs which they could use to track down new problems.

And after tomorrow, thousands more people hop in.

I'm willing to bet a lot, or at least many, of the issues we saw during the insider event will be either dealt with or their impact at the very least minimized. 

And we'll find out in... 28 hours, mark. 

5,276 m/s

Edited by GoldForest

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Yes, but at the same time they may have caught some issues that never popped up during internal testing, but were severe enough to be placed high on priority list before tomorrow. 

Having two dozens or so more people will speed up bug hunting, even if they only had 2 hours. Devs got full recordings and game logs which they could use to track down new problems.

Yeah, so after the event they said they would be glad to play test the crap out of KSP2 and were given direct lines to the development team. The team took them seriously. 

This is really good news.

( not directed at Aziz  )

I feel like I am going to have to repeat this every day now. Early Access is not for everyone, the game is un-optimized, buggy, and not in a full release state. If you are looking for a finished polished game then you should wait. Early Access is for enthusiasts that want to be in on KSP 2 from the beginning with all the bugs, optimization, and lots of issues and frustrations.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Off course they'll profit from it, one thing doesn't exclude the other. But if it was just play testing for bugs it could have been done behind the scenes. The state of the game wouldn't have been known to the public and 'the blow' would have come tomorrow, and would have been bigger. 

To me it's like the bad news letters dropping on the doormat on friday for you to find when coming home from work, which makes you have the whole weekend to come to acceptance and the initial caused temper to be diminished on Monday. 

Thousands of people are all hoping in from tomorrow, and they now know what they are up for. From what I've seen though, even the early access isn't ready for thousands of people to give feedback on or go bug hunting, for that the basis isn't finished enough. 

Edited by LoSBoL

1 hour ago, DwightLee said:

I feel like I am going to have to repeat this every day now. Early Access is not for everyone, the game is un-optimized, buggy, and not in a full release state. If you are looking for a finished polished game then you should wait. Early Access is for enthusiasts that want to be in on KSP 2 from the beginning with all the bugs, optimization, and lots of issues and frustrations.

And this message was to me the main message everyone at the ESA event were voicing and people have to come to acceptance with. And off course that message isn't coming easy for many, because expectations were not managed correctly. 

I am wearing a G-Shock displaying time remaining until launch.  

I will be wearing it to sleep tonight.

It’s been a long wait, gentlemen, and it’s been a pleasure reading you all while we waited.

1 minute ago, LoSBoL said:

And this message was to me the main message everyone at the ESA event were voicing and people have to come to acceptance with. And off course that message isn't coming easy for many, because expectations were not managed correctly. 

I blame toxic gamer culture, not the devs, for the debacle on the discord last weekend, but the messaging seems to be trending in the right direction.

At t-24 hours I'd like to thank everyone in this community for the amazing journey we've shared so far. In that light I'd like to echo the message kopchickm posted on the KSP subreddit, as imo it applies to the KSP forums as well:

cNaEcRN.png

Let's try to keep this in mind during the launch and the journey ahead. There's bound to be bumps in the road, wonky wheel physics and rocket noodling, but let's make sure that in the process our community doesn't RUD beyond recognition. Optimism and criticism are not mutually exclusive, we'll need both for KSP2 to mature into the amazing gaming experience we are all so deeply passionate about.

Happy launch day everyone!

“When you launch in a rocket, you’re not really flying that rocket. You’re just sort of hanging on.” - Michael P. Anderson

Edited by Yakuzi

Just now, Wheehaw Kerman said:

It’s been a long wait, gentlemen, and it’s been a pleasure reading you all while we waited.

I blame toxic gamer culture, not the devs, for the debacle on the discord last weekend, but the messaging seems to be trending in the right direction.

I don't know what happened on discord last week because I'm not a member, but there is only one which is responsible for managing expectations, and that's not a community. 

Also, people need to be able to vent, they need an exhaust valve, they need to be able to rant, it's the first stage of coming to acceptance. I'm glad that opportunity is given, at least here on the forum. 

41 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

I don't know what happened on discord last week because I'm not a member, but there is only one which is responsible for managing expectations, and that's not a community. 

Also, people need to be able to vent, they need an exhaust valve, they need to be able to rant, it's the first stage of coming to acceptance. I'm glad that opportunity is given, at least here on the forum. 

I mean Im not wildly surprised there was so much distress over the the specs. They are high and a lot of players don't meet them, or are hovering around the min spec and worried they won't have a good experience. We'll all see tomorrow how exactly thats playing out over a broad range of machines. I think the important thing is that folks support each other and help solve problems rather than berating and condescending to each other.  Despite its pretty obvious issues it still looks really fun. Im personally pretty hopeful and excited. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

Just now, Pthigrivi said:

I mean Im not wildly surprised there was so much distress over the the specs. They are high and a lot of players don't meet them, or are hovering around the min spec and worried they won't have a good experience. We'll all see tomorrow how exactly thats playing out over a broad range of machines. I think the important thing is that folks support each other and help solve problems rather than berating and condescending to each other.  Despite its pretty obvious issues it still looks really fun. Im personally pretty hopeful and excited. 

I hope that with what I posted I did not come across as berating or condescending, because that's not what I wanted to express. We're dealing with emotions here, and everybody is different, which everybody is entitled to be, they're is no wrong in emotions. 

I will absolutely enjoy what will be presented, and there is no lack of good will from the developers and what they aim for. And I keep being hopeful that in the end we'll get most if not all which could have been seen in al the episodes of the last years.

I do however see what has been shown from the ESA event to being the current baseline, and that sounds to me as a whole lot of work to be done, and a very very long journey ahead. KSP2 will be a first day buy whatever, accompanied by support for at long as it needs to take. 

1 hour ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

I agree, the toxic culture is the real problem.

For myself, I have my eyes wide open. This is going to be fun, it is also going to be frustrating, buggy, unoptimized and lacking in many features to start with, but I get to ride the monster all the way to what one day we all hope it will become.

Edited by DwightLee

16 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

I hope that with what I posted I did not come across as berating or condescending, because that's not what I wanted to express. We're dealing with emotions here, and everybody is different, which everybody is entitled to be, they're is no wrong in emotions. 

I will absolutely enjoy what will be presented, and there is no lack of good will from the developers and what they aim for. And I keep being hopeful that in the end we'll get most if not all which could have been seen in al the episodes of the last years.

I do however see what has been shown from the ESA event to being the current baseline, and that sounds to me as a whole lot of work to be done, and a very very long journey ahead. KSP2 will be a first day buy whatever, accompanied by support for at long as it needs to take. 

No no! You're completely fine. I was talking about some of the not-so-great conduct on the discord last weekend. 

1 hour ago, LoSBoL said:

No, no issue at all with what you wrote and your take on things.  As others have pointed out, emotions are fine - the extremes on the discord last weekend, though, were frankly toxic.  But regardless, T minus 21:16!

1 minute ago, AtomicTech said:

What did y'all think of this video?

This video makes a good point: If a bunch of people buy a very early version of KSP2, then the publisher as already received its money and any continued expenditure on upcoming features just cuts into profits.  The counter argument is that long term support will be determined by how well the early versions of the game are received.  Honestly I have no idea which of these is more true, but I would encourage everyone to withhold your money until your personal quality threshold is met, both for your own self interest, but also to keep a carrot out in front of the people financing KSP2.

I also agree with the video when it pushes back on the "It's just early access" response that gets parroted back every time concerns are raised.  Early access would be justified for an indie studio early in development, but this is not the situation KSP2 is in.  If the current level of quality is the best the KSP2 team can do after >3 years of time and money, it raises serious doubts that they will every deliver on their roadmap.  Yes, I am aware of what happened in 2020, but that didn't stop other games from having successful releases.

14 minutes ago, poopslayer78 said:

This video makes a good point: If a bunch of people buy a very early version of KSP2, then the publisher as already received its money and any continued expenditure on upcoming features just cuts into profits.  The counter argument is that long term support will be determined by how well the early versions of the game are received.  Honestly I have no idea which of these is more true, but I would encourage everyone to withhold your money until your personal quality threshold is met, both for your own self interest, but also to keep a carrot out in front of the people financing KSP2.

I also agree with the video when it pushes back on the "It's just early access" response that gets parroted back every time concerns are raised.  Early access would be justified for an indie studio early in development, but this is not the situation KSP2 is in.  If the current level of quality is the best the KSP2 team can do after >3 years of time and money, it raises serious doubts that they will every deliver on their roadmap.  Yes, I am aware of what happened in 2020, but that didn't stop other games from having successful releases.

One difference between this and other games published, is the player base, the core players of this game are dedicated, determined, and contain an incredible amount of savvy folks many of which are rather major Streamers ( I did not start watching Tim Dodd or Scott Manley for Kerbal ). What we will push through to help im making this game what it should be, goes white a ways beyond what a normal player base would do.