KSP 2 Multiplayer Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, Wubslin said:

So did the devs imply/state that on launch the game won't have interstellar travel or multiplayer? If that's true, we might not even learn how it works until after February, even.

Yes. Roadmap showed Interstellar will be added later and multi-player much much later.

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Yes. Roadmap showed Interstellar will be added later and multi-player much much later.

Yeah i reckon towards the end if they even dev multiplayer you looking at 2 years at least for multiplayer which imo is bs

39 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Yeah i reckon towards the end if they even dev multiplayer you looking at 2 years at least for multiplayer which imo is bs

Well, KSP1 was EA for what? 5 years? With an update every 3 to 6 months? But they were a small studio with no big funding. KSP2 has an entire big team studio backed by a billion dollar company that's funding them. We might see minor updates every week or two, with major updates being 2 to 4 months. I'm being optimistic mind you, but still. It will be a whole new level of faster than KSP1's development time-line. 

I picture MP being in game by end of year, 1.5 years tops, best case scenario. 2 years to 3 years worst case. 

44 minutes ago, Redneck said:

I hope that in the worst case, they just release the multiplayer that they currently have implemented, bugs and all. The underlying code supports multiplayer so I'm sure we'll get mods for that week 1, but having an official stock multiplayer, even if it is worse than every multiplier mod, would allow the people who don't play enough to download mods to play multiplayer. 

11 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Well, KSP1 was EA for what? 5 years? With an update every 3 to 6 months? But they were a small studio with no big funding. KSP2 has an entire big team studio backed by a billion dollar company that's funding them. We might see minor updates every week or two, with major updates being 2 to 4 months. I'm being optimistic mind you, but still. It will be a whole new level of faster than KSP1's development time-line. 

I picture MP being in game by end of year, 1.5 years tops, best case scenario. 2 years to 3 years worst case. 

If we look around we see the costs and prices of things are high.  Economies around the world are still recovering with many still not having stopped diving yet.  Realities are realities and I imagine not as much as hoped was possible in the last few years and to get the numbers to work they need spread the load over a longer payoff period.  I'm guessing that interstellar and MP are 90%+ done, but at this point, for feasibility reasons might become DLCs to keep KSP2 from being priced at $100

Edited by darthgently

14 minutes ago, darthgently said:

If we look around we see the costs and prices of things are high.  Economies around the world are still recovering with many still not having stopped diving yet.  Realities are realities and I imagine not as much as hoped was possible in the last few years and to get the numbers to work they need spread the load over a longer payoff period.  I'm guessing that interstellar and MP are 90%+ done, but at this point, for feasibility reasons might become DLCs to keep KSP2 from being priced at $100

Interstellar travel and multiplayer will not be dlc. They will be included in the base game. Nate has specified this several times.

32 minutes ago, t_v said:

I hope that in the worst case, they just release the multiplayer that they currently have implemented, bugs and all. The underlying code supports multiplayer so I'm sure we'll get mods for that week 1, but having an official stock multiplayer, even if it is worse than every multiplier mod, would allow the people who don't play enough to download mods to play multiplayer. 

Devs has been playing KSP 2 multiplayer, now its likely that current version has major limitations like no warp. 
One additional problem with multiplayer is that stuff like exploding rockets behave the same on all clients as it will have gameplay impacts like solar panels destroyed on an base as an large lander crashes. 
In short physic has to be done on server and then send the data to clients and it can easy be hundreds of fragments. And people in multiplayer will make cluster bomb stuff like hundreds of decoplers. 

One fun thing to do in KSP 1 is to launch some hundreds small probe cores and decoplers with no ejection force and separate them after setting up an free return trajectory around the Mun but Kerbin Pe is say 200 km.  initialy they stay together but over time they will spread out and they will interact with the mun later. 

1 minute ago, magnemoe said:

now its likely that current version has major limitations like no warp

Even though a solution already exists that DMP has been using for years? Subspace bubbles. Beats quitting MP altogether after three days because you don't have the time or patience to run missions that are literally, by the dictionary definition of literally, years long

13 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Like they've always worked in DMP, excellently and with very few problems.

In my industry we say, 'Works good, lasts a long time.  Stop asking questions..'

17 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Even though a solution already exists that DMP has been using for years? Subspace bubbles. Beats quitting MP altogether after three days because you don't have the time or patience to run missions that are literally, by the dictionary definition of literally, years long

Reasons I suggested they had no warp solution yet is because devs stated they played multiplayer at the office and it was great fun. 
But its late in the roadmap so its has limits, if it was almost ready it would be earlier in the roadmap. 

What is DMP? 

10 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Reasons I suggested they had no warp solution yet is because devs stated they played multiplayer at the office and it was great fun. 
But its late in the roadmap so its has limits, if it was almost ready it would be earlier in the roadmap. 

What is DMP? 

Dark MultiPlayer. 

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Dark MultiPlayer

I tried to look into this and there isn't a brief review of the pros and cons I can find. 

Seems like if you really, really want to play MP in KSP it allows this.  Seems fairly good for atmospheric flights with 2 or more, and you can do orbital... But from what I can tell - the practicality of trying to play parallel career mode is not recommended 

I am personally really looking forward do multiplayer for the soul reasons of multi-stage missions that require landing a craft while getting another into orbit at the same time. And while this can be done with mods, it will never be as good as an official multiplayer. Plus, if you don't want to use multiplayer, you don't have to. I am really excited for this!

On 11/1/2022 at 7:04 AM, magnemoe said:

It's probably later in the road map just because multiplayer comes with its own set of bugs  and they want to isolate it from the rest of the game while they fix the single player bugs

Why is it that every "multiplayer" thread has this theme/worry/pouting of blowing stuff up all the time. Put down your medal of honor for a moment, and stop playing rust... All of my friends that I play ark/minecraft/space engineers/valhalla/etc on personal servers with, all play cooperatively. We don't WANT to blow our stuff up. If you have that problem, sounds like you need some new gamer buddies.

On 11/1/2022 at 11:03 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I tried to look into this and there isn't a brief review of the pros and cons I can find. 

Seems like if you really, really want to play MP in KSP it allows this.  Seems fairly good for atmospheric flights with 2 or more, and you can do orbital... But from what I can tell - the practicality of trying to play parallel career mode is not recommended 

Dark multiplayer is now called "luna". Me and my friends played it for a while, it was really fun for a bit, but since it's not part of the base code itself, and is tacked on, it presented cloning problems occasionally.  Since MP is going to be part of the code itself in KSP2, This should be remedied (hopefully) fairly easily. WE did manage to build a mining facility together on the moon though. It was really fun! We did play career mode, but it was sharing money/science/research/etc. never tried to do separate since we were playing as a team anyway.. (edit: current version) As for warping, you just click the warp button. IT moves your time stamp to the most future timestamp and places your ship accordingly (it does this in a smart way).  Then you can land, etc. Then when everyone is there with all needed mats, you slam the base together in normal speed. Good stuff.. lol

Edited by Talavar

7 hours ago, Talavar said:

personal servers

That peer to peer 'private server' scenario seems  the most likely solution. 

But the MP enthusiasm has covered the gamut from MMORPG to MMOSim to peer to peer coop.  Because it's all speculation and wishful thinking at the moment those of us who have reservations about the efficacy of the possible solutions suggested have to respond to the wide variety of possible solutions. 

For obvious reasons we just cannot help but annoy the variety MP enthusiasts who all love their own prospective solution and hoped for implementation.  Every quibble is met with a pronouncement about why our reservation is not a game breaker. 

I appreciate your response - specifically because it does talk about the current best MP mod implementation.  It shows that when players want to cooperate with each other enough they can accommodate one another. 

I am guilty of this. 

But on the topic of who hosts the servers, I hope that it is a dual solution: independent parties can run the server software on their computers, but Intercept also does first-party hosting as a subscription service. Server hosting is a good way to make a bit of money, and the benefit of a first party service is that for the user, they get good integration and ease of use, and a standardized stable connected host machine. The developers should develop their multiplayer software to work well on many devices, but there will always be specific configurations that run that specific software better than others. Most independent parties will not invest in machines just to run KSP 2 servers, and so the way to get high-performance stable servers are to pay for hosting. Intercept can provide that with the additional benefit of good integration, and making money this way will keep the game afloat for longer. I personally will use old machines to run servers whenever I can, but for a large portion of the target audience, this would be a good option to use, and this would generate a fair amount of revenue. What do you think?