Large Info Dump

15 hours ago, swjr-swis said:
On 5/30/2020 at 3:34 PM, Bej Kerman said:

How is it not a sandbox? There's no limits.

The answer to your question is right there in the text you quoted:

by virtue of arbitrarily removing certain aspects of the game (research, funding, missions).

So there are, in fact, limits to the stock sandbox mode:

• You cannot manipulate or even see the research tree since R&D is locked, which makes designing craft for a very specific set of unlocked tech nodes and parts difficult.
  • Funding and strategies are unavailable, which makes it difficult to design craft that stay within specific monetary limits.
  • Missions are unavailable. Which means I cannot easily test craft viability for specific mission types.
  • The above limitations force me to reference external sources to keep track of what parts are within the tech/funds limits I am aiming for, and I am forced to exit the save entirely and load up the career one to test run my designs with specific missions.

It's like being offered a theoretical open world RPG... but with quests, crafting, and skilling disabled. There ya go, knock yourself out. :/

Hence my own version of a sandbox: a career mode game with an appropriate cheatmenu-sponsored injection of funds, science, rep and facility levels, to be able to do ALL of the above things, truly without limits. I've not used the actual sandbox mode of the game ever since.

What if I don't want any limits at all but don't want to mess around getting rid of any limits?

On 5/29/2020 at 7:21 PM, Lewie said:

It’s just that the controls for console can be really janky at times, even after you’ve got ‘em all down. Only thing that the console beats pc is flying planes. At least in my experience, our experiences all vary

What about when you have a HOTAS?

10 hours ago, OOM said:

This is ridiculous

What exactly is ridiculous in what I said?  I spend almost all my time in career mode because I find it most enjoyable - I use sandbox to test things before using them in career, and I just can't get invested in science mode.  Other people may differ, but its how I play and the article said that adventure mode was similar to the current science mode.  The article also said there would be optional contracts, and I was speculating what the point of optional contracts was.

10 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

What about when you have a HOTAS?

Have you tried setting one up in KSP? My nightmare is trying to setup my X52 when I can't even get my cheap Logitech joystick to work right.

I mean to me these don't seem like killers for the incentive to buy but I'm questioning some of their choices. I like sleek modern UI's don't get me wrong but I feel like this is way to cluttered and frankly ugly to really convey what you need when piloting anything, it's bubbly, over stylized, and all around just not exactly great. Time warp being to Time Zoom is probably going to be changed last minute but I feel like the reason they choose that terminology is cause with the presence of interstellar travel some first time players might get confused by time warp idea but it's just a small thing. Who knows.

Removing career mode is a bad idea altogether, I really like the challenge of making dirt cheap cost effective rockets and having those constraints holding me really opens up some imaginative workarounds at least for myself.

Thankfully all this stuff will probably get fixed by mods because... yeah.

saw the new ui and screamed .... so much screen space covered < way to big ui....

Strict vehicle size limit? are you nuts? that was one of the coolest part´s of this game that you can build what you want how big you want< if you restrict that you cage the player < and we all know it´s never good to take away player control.

I really can only hope you don´t ruin all the fun part´s of the game.

27 minutes ago, mrvice said:

saw the new ui and screamed .... so much screen space covered

Less space covered than the KSP 1 UI. Obviously there's going to be a way to shrink the UI like in just about every other game.

28 minutes ago, mrvice said:

Strict vehicle size limit? are you nuts? that was one of the coolest part´s of this game that you can build what you want how big you want< if you restrict that you cage the player < and we all know it´s never good to take away player control.

I'm guessing that this is to bring players to orbital shipyards to build massive rockets, but this prevents the player from creating massive lifters if they please.

28 minutes ago, mrvice said:

I really can only hope you don´t ruin all the fun part´s of the game.

They won't.

35 minutes ago, mrvice said:

Strict vehicle size limit?

That's been a part of KSP1 for ages - career mode limits vehicle sizes behind building upgrades (even if it rarely comes into play due to there not being enough tiers), and even the fully upgraded VAB tries to limit your max size by not letting the camera extend beyond the roof. 

59 minutes ago, mrvice said:

Source?

1 hour ago, mrvice said:

saw the new ui and screamed .... so much screen space covered < way to big ui....

You are basing your opinion on a single screen shot designed to display specific information for a game that's not coming out for over a year.

Instead, you could imagine that - for this one image where they are specifically showing off the UI elements - they used a setting or slider (or Photoshop) to make them larger than they normally would be.

1 hour ago, mrvice said:

I don't recall reading this, but are you 100% sure they're not talking about something like the limit in KSP1? Where you need to upgrade a building and poof that limit's gone?

Edited by Superfluous J
Realized there were multiple points, and I wanted to address 2 of them not just the first one :)

46 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Source?

ShadowZone quoted this in his recent video on the topic.    There's a vehicle size for launch, but orbital construction seems to be unlimited.

Without a product to test in hand, and we won't for about 18 months or so, it's really hard to say that it's ruined.  

And merging with the other thread on this topic. 

51 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

ShadowZone quoted this in his recent video on the topic.

I went against my better judgement and watched the most recent video of his to find this information. It's titled "7 NEW Kerbal Space Program 2 Infos - Not All Good" and was able to jump around until I found it at about 5:40

He quoted the PC Gamer article, which I'll also quote.

"The ships you'll eventually be able to build are [terrific?]. [someone's name?] showed me a space station with an interstellar craft docked at it, and that ship wouldn't be possible to construct on the planet's surface (its engine would take up most of the Vehicle Assembly Building, which places hard limits on the size of whatever you're building)."

(Sorry for the guesses, I was going off the video and it was panning and zooming for part of the available text)

This sounds to me like a good mix of the telephone game, journalist not understanding what they heard, your standard career mode limits, and AMAZINGLY AWESOME ENGINES THAT RIVAL THE VAB IN SIZE.

"This engine is bigger than the VAB!" -> "This engine won't fit in the VAB!" -> "You can't even build a ship with this engine in the VAB!" -> "You can't build big ships in the VAB!" -> "They put size limits on the VAB!" -> "They ruined my game!"

2 hours ago, GluttonyReaper said:

That's been a part of KSP1 for ages - career mode limits vehicle sizes behind building upgrades (even if it rarely comes into play due to there not being enough tiers), and even the fully upgraded VAB tries to limit your max size by not letting the camera extend beyond the roof. 

And I'd be a little surprised if the max launch size is any smaller than the current max. You've still got to get the components of orbital shipyards up there.

Edited by Pthigrivi

5 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

I went against my better judgement and watched the most recent video of his to find this information. It's titled "7 NEW Kerbal Space Program 2 Infos - Not All Good" and was able to jump around until I found it at about 5:40

He quoted the PC Gamer article, which I'll also quote.

"The ships you'll eventually be able to build are [terrific?]. [someone's name?] showed me a space station with an interstellar craft docked at it, and that ship wouldn't be possible to construct on the planet's surface (its engine would take up most of the Vehicle Assembly Building, which places hard limits on the size of whatever you're building)."

(Sorry for the guesses, I was going off the video and it was panning and zooming for part of the available text)

This sounds to me like a good mix of the telephone game, journalist not understanding what they heard, your standard career mode limits, and AMAZINGLY AWESOME ENGINES THAT RIVAL THE VAB IN SIZE.

"This engine is bigger than the VAB!" -> "This engine won't fit in the VAB!" -> "You can't even build a ship with this engine in the VAB!" -> "You can't build big ships in the VAB!" -> "They put size limits on the VAB!" -> "They ruined my game!"

Yes, I was about to write this, the vessel in question isn't even unknown, it's the interstellar "star-in-a-bucket" powered ship you see in the trailer and screenshots being launched from that orbital shipyard.

That thing is bigger than the KSC and it wouldn't make sense anywhere near an atmosphere.

3 hours ago, Master39 said:

"star-in-a-bucket".

I like this term.

And when you think how this thing fires up, you know that even if you could launch it from the ground, the launchpad (if only) would be instantly annihilated.

6 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I like this term.

It's not mine, Nate Simpson used it during an interview while describing the engine.

17 hours ago, KerikBalm said:
18 hours ago, mrvice said:

Source?

The information dump

On 5/29/2020 at 2:47 AM, mattinoz said:

Would be fun if it could snap you back to the moment it went horribly wrong for a replay and tutorial options contextual to that time.

Maybe in some cases the automatically launched tutorial could just be the basics for the VAB or SPH :D 

Finally I finished reading the whole thread, it took its time. From my point of view, and I think many share it, we are still lacking info. Also probably most of you know these memes, the original https://www.pinterest.ch/pin/243546292325010210/ and the more complex https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/44191640063674961/... Let's wait for the next leak (I doubt we will have any kind of official update before next leak... I subscribed in KSP official website to get the updates and it seems the only reliable source for them is here :D still waiting to receive the mail about the new studio, or setting the new release date in Fall 2021...). Anyway, I don't actually like the proposed new UI, mostly the navball looks too 'flat' so to say, and the Kerbals IMHO should be moved to the side. Topside? Downside? Don't really care. I Think it is okay to have them, as they give the funnier approach to the game that, at the end of the day, the publisher may need to attract more customers. But not in the middle of the screen, please... About the futuristic looks of the GUI itself, well, I guess most of you have seen the new controls of the Dragon Crew. Nothing else to say :) 

Cheers!

J