CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network) - v1.33.2 Laplace - KSP 2 support!

DasSkelett

Is there a way to update where CKAN links it's github and spacedock links? Those that are referenced are both deleted, and new ones are available but I'm not sure how to change them.

• 3 weeks later...

The mod CountryDoggo's Random KK Bits is no longer available from CKAN or Spacedock. It is listed as required for my mod Kerbin Side Remastered - The Life Aquatic . Could you remove it from the list of required mods? 

1 hour ago, Caerfinon said:

The mod CountryDoggo's Random KK Bits is no longer available from CKAN or Spacedock. It is listed as required for my mod Kerbin Side Remastered - The Life Aquatic . Could you remove it from the list of required mods? 

Done. (May take up to 35 minutes till users see the change.)

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, MixelFan95 said:

Excuse me but, Is there a Reason why Mod Ckan Mods aren't showing in game? https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/tyn8so4918zyyv330sbyw/KSP.log?rlkey=ioh0dgbffn4r6qbm435iinh2b&st=6sin2leu&dl=0

Hi, this thread is really for discussion of CKAN itself, not in-game mod support. Try this subforum:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/70-ksp1-technical-support-pc-modded-installs/

1 minute ago, theJesuit said:

I've had a query as to why my new SIMPLEX Assembly Plus isnt on CKAN.

We're behind on the review queue, sorry. It's on my list once I finish recovering my wife's external HDD (just found the offset of the start of the BTRFS filesystem, so fingers crossed).

3 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

We're behind on the review queue, sorry. It's on my list once I finish recovering my wife's external HDD (just found the offset of the start of the BTRFS filesystem, so fingers crossed).

Ah yes.  I just published an update... from new laptop as previous one started the slow process of dying.  Just as i walking out the door discovered that some folders in other mods are empty... didn't copy across.  Update is borked.  Facepalm!

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

@JonnyOThan

I was wondering if you could explain this to me. Surely the removing of the authors name from the identifier is something you check if it is ok with author first.

UBNVdvw.png

Can you explain what you don’t like about this change?  I suppose I probably should have asked first but we have a long backlog of PRs to work through.

Mod identifiers aren’t user-facing.  They’re how mods refer to each other and how ckan keeps track of them.  I was pretty 50-50 about this change; there are pros and cons of both approaches.  I decided to do this because in the event that this mod is ever adopted by someone else (a very common occurrence as you know) then it doesn’t really make sense to have the author’s name in the identifier.  The downside here is that “HotAirBalloons” is a pretty generic name so anyone making a different hot air balloon mod would need to pick a different name.

Your name is still in the *title* of the mod and the author field - this isn’t removing attribution or anything.

1 minute ago, JonnyOThan said:

Can you explain what you don’t like about this change?

The not being asked of course. I may not be a modder of the highest level, but I put alot of time and effort in to making my mods and as the author I would like to be asked before anything that removes my association on any level is done. I have no plans to abandon any of my mods and if I did decide to leave it all behind I would offer to make them adoptable at that time.

I know that with that mod I have an open license so that others can learn and use assets from it, but if removing anything that I set up when I created the mod can be done so easily without asking then I will have to start using "All Rights Reserved" like I have for my planes that take weeks to get modeled right before I even start to cut and configure them.

So lack of consultation and assumption of future decisions are what I don't like about this change.

1 hour ago, JonnyOThan said:

I suppose I probably should have asked first but we have a long backlog of PRs to work through.

Should I understand that CKAN is too much work for the current staff, as the current members of this select group are not being able to carry their duties correctly?

Had you consider asking for help from the Community, opening vacancies to be fulfilled by members of the Community?

Perhaps some of the Forum's Moderators can help - how about asking for help from them?

2 hours ago, ColdJ said:

if I did decide to leave it all behind I would offer to make them adoptable at that time.

Here’s the thing: it is difficult (but not impossible) to change a mod’s identifier.  I think it’s probably reasonable to leave the identifiers as they were and then change them once the mod is ever adopted, but that can cause issues for users and headaches in general if it’s not done carefully.  So I figured it was better to just do something that would require less future maintenance.

Also, the identifier for things added from spacedock is auto-generated from the mod’s name, which is often not suitable for the ckan ecosystem. I figured this was just another case of that happening.

2 hours ago, ColdJ said:

removes my association on any level

I’m still not really clear on what you think the impact of this change is. If I had asked, what would you say?  And are you ok with this adjustment being applied to your other mods in the future?

1 hour ago, JonnyOThan said:

Here’s the thing: it is difficult (but not impossible) to change a mod’s identifier. 

Being the reason, so, that one should not change it without the consent from the author!

From an end-user standpoint, this changes basically nothing. Your name is still linked to the mod and searchable by it, quite rightly, as you made it.

T2FTA8Z.png

20 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

You have not understood what is being discussed.

Yes, I have. Please don't project on me.

ColdJ pushed on SpaceDock an add'on called ColdJ Hot Air Balloon.

JOT decided to rename the identifier to HotAirBalloon, disregaring ColdJ's opinion on the subject. Apparently a possible adoption in the future was mentioned somewhere.

ColdJ is protesting, because apparently they want their mod being identified as ColdJHotAirBalloon - it's how it was being named on SpaceDock, for starters.

3 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

From an end-user standpoint, this changes basically nothing. Your name is still linked to the mod and searchable by it, quite rightly, as you made it.

So you are implying that the author's standpoint is meaningless and can be ignored?

Edited by Lisias
brute force post merge

13 minutes ago, Lisias said:

So you are implying that the author's standpoint is meaningless and can be ignored?

Essentially, yes, as this is a backend value and, although it is technically user facing, it is a bit meaningless to the user. The identifier here could be 'Duck Bill Goop' and it would make no difference to a user.

I've reported my own post here as this whole conversation feels a bit overblown and de-railing (as a complete outside observer).

Edited by Poodmund

13 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

The name in CKAN is the same as the name on SpaceDock:

But not the identifier:

SpaceDock: https://spacedock.info/mod/3635/ColdJ Hot Air Balloon

NetKan: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/blob/66fbdae6d2d2c2771a14359a82b68f2ffaa15fa8/NetKAN/HotAirBalloon.netkan#L2

spec_version: v1.34
identifier: HotAirBalloon
$kref: '#/ckan/spacedock/3635'
license: CC-BY-SA-4.0
<...>

And this is what ColdJ is talking about.

I think it's time to let @ColdJ decide what to do. We, clearly, aren't converging into a constructive discussion.

Edited by Lisias
Fixing the link