KSP Loading...: Getting ready to celebrate!

UomoCapra

1 hour ago, Brikoleur said:

The OP said that Squad will be joining Intercept to make KSP2 a reality. If so that's terrific news for all of them.

Some of them maybe. But Squad is in Mexico, while KSP2 in Seattle (?), and also two bears hardly can share the same lair,

Edited by kerbiloid

There are a few things I still wish they could have made stock (like making one of the ISRU base/vessel construction mods stock, though maybe better to save that for 2), but I’ve never had any major complaints with any version of the game, only that I wish they wouldn’t come so fast that I have to wait for mod compats to catch up. No doubt however what I have now is way way beyond what I picked up back in .23.5. E en for 1.0.x alone I was so happy, and everything since then…

With 1.12 being the last major update release that ought to stabilize things out in the mod compatibility front, and that should tide us over until KSP2. And I honestly can’t wait for 2, but knowing 1.12 should hold for long means that waiting time will be well-filled with more adventures among the stars. Once the core mods I depend on get updated, of course.

Thank you for 1, and see you soon in 2, space cowboys. 

25 minutes ago, B-STRK said:

With 1.12 being the last major update release that ought to stabilize things out in the mod compatibility front

<snip>

Once the core mods I depend on get updated, of course.

Indeed.

But everyone should note "Last major update for PC".

In other words, they're not abandoning KSP, they stay open for releasing fixes if (or rather when) needed.

And finally freezing the target gives them (or rather their hired guns) a good chance to bring the Console version(s) up to PC specs without having the target moving all the time.

1 hour ago, Anth12 said:

The employees of Squad span the globe, some are in Mexico of course, but others are in the UK, US, Australia etc. A past employee Taniwha I think lived in Japan

Maybe this is what led to KPS being as buggy as it is. Uncoordinated development. Just saying. 

Look on the bright side.

The game will still be here, and since this is the last major update, it means that Squad/Intercept are almost ready (give or take a half year or a little more) to start testing and releasing...

Can you guess...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

It's KSP 2 duh.

Kerbal Space Program 2 coming early 2020 to PC, PS4, Xbox One - Polygon

Interesting. Leaving a never finished game, forcefully pushed from beta into v1.0. ;)

There are things that not even game mods tackle so the "tHeRe's a MoD fOr ThAt!" folks can zip it. Kerbol has been left looking horribly. Same old ball from the moment it stopped being a shiny point in the sky, and it's full of opportunities.

Many things were done haphazardly. Idea of random, extremely small comets steaming like kettles was immediately disappointing.

I have a bittersweet feeling about all this. I wouldn't feel like this if the game was stupid. Its sheer amount of unlocked potential and genius idea are what attracts the most critics.

26 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

Location doesn't matter anywhere near as it used to. It's a matter of organisation. My current employer is/was spread between China, Russia, and Finland with me working from Denmark; my new one will be spread across the UK, US, Portugal, Poland, Estonia, Finland, and Denmark. 

Does your company develop a small semi-indie niche game?

Mixed feelings for me.  I'm absolutely gutted that KSP1 will no longer be developed, but so grateful to all involved in the development, support and dedication to produce this amazing game.  Also to you guys who have shared your thoughts, offered your advice and answered my questions, without you lot I wouldn't have reached the destinations I did in the KSP universe.

I'll continue playing KSP for just as long as I can.  KSP2 will hopefully be a worthy successor, but it has mighty big boots to fill.

Edited by The Flying Kerbal
Poor Grammar

10 years, the time does fly by ....

Thanks Squad!

Last major update?

I think that's ok, moving to get KSP 2 out the door.

KSP itself then benefits from all the mods and new ones that may come, and not having to go thru mod cycles.

And there's no saying Squad might not return to KSP after 2 is out the door to apply things they learned in the meantime.

I do view this in a positive light.  Yes it is sad in a way, like parting with a car you've had for many years and had many happy memories with, but know you need to replace soon.

I did wonder if/how the two could coexist for very long, unless they were distinctly different.  Apart from KSP2 being newer and shinier, it would need to have a quite different 'focus' and have a noticeably different gameplay for KSP1 to hold it's appeal and warrant continued development.

Now I am much more able to see KSP2 as the upgraded, improved and expanded development of KSP that it  should be, rather than an alternative game set in the same 'universe'.  It looks increasingly like it will actually be 'the same game, but better' that I hoped for, rather than the 'new game that's similar, but quite different' that I feared it could be.

And besides, I will still have this 'final incarnation' of KSP1 to fall back on in the unlikely event that I don't get along with KSP2.

4 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

Yes.

One man per country?

They have two developer teams and basically same game.

If they were going to keep the previous team, why would they order the game re-development to another company rather than extend the existing team?

37 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

I'm sure you understand that I can't discuss stuff like that here, as it's not hard to find out who I am and by extension what the company I'm talking about is.

It was a rhetorical question.

It's an entirely new game, built afresh from the ground up, and much more ambitious in scale, scope, and production values.

It's almost same game for any person from street, not familiar with KSP-1 and -2, who is presumed to make a choice.

And as a proof we can see the cancellation of the KSP-1 development before the KSP-2 sales start.

KSP-2 is KSP-1 recreated by another experienced development team after a decade of tests and improvements done by the original team.

It's a good question, and I suspect the answer are business-related and therefore sealed off in contracts and behind NDAs. It's always possible to speculate but I don't think the full story is going to be public any time soon.

KSP-2 is already created without Squad.
Why Intercept would need them to continue maintaining the ready-to-use product?

I was indeed worried about what would happen to Squad developers when development on KSP1 inevitably comes to a close -- which is why I was so delighted by the news that they're joining Intercept to work on KSP2.

Probably, some seniours will. 
But KSP is not a fantasy MMORPG, it's about a set of cones and cylinders moving in space. Unlikely they need juniors and auxilliary personnel.

Not so much to do in space.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, Filigan said:

I have been with KSP since late 2014, and i had the hell of a good time.  Thank you for one of, if not THE best Game i have ever had the joy of playing.  :happy:

KSP is one of the best games EVER!!!!!!!!!! Some other great games include Construction Simulator 3, FSX, and Minecraft is pretty good too, but much better with mods, but no game will EVER be as good as KSP, except perhaps KSP 2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.