Intercept job openings

Jarin

3 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I'm only a 2 year college graduate, but I applied to two positions in hopes that maybe my modding experience here is proof of something.

Wish me luck.

Best of luck!!!

That goes for anyone applying

18 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

LOL

Oh god.  If I have to compete with you I'm doomed.  Don't you maintain like 10,000 mods?

kidding, I wish you luck of course too.  There's more than one opening.

Edited by R-T-B

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No, not qualified for that

I'm barely qualified for any of the things I applied for, paper cert wise lol.  But you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, and my paper certs are somewhat misleading, being self-taught and all.

If you go by my job record, I'm more qualified to be a journalist.  It's kinda scary how misleading that is.

Edited by R-T-B

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

If you go by my job record, I'm more qualified to be a journalist.  It's kinda scary how misleading that is.

If you go by my published papers, I'm a microbiologist. But unless we started considering computers a form of life, this isn't very accurate. XD

Generally, I would encourage people to shoot for the Moon on any IC (individual contributor) position. Especially when it's something like, "Two years experience + shipped title," and all you've ever done is work on some mods. You'll be surprised how far that informal experience can carry you. If you're generally good at working with people, they likely not to care that you don't technically match "required" qualifications.

Lead positions are a little different, though. As a lead, you are responsible for work and careers of other people. It requires a lot of experience in the area in which you'll be working in, sufficient not just to check people's work, but to mentor them and to help plan their projects, as well as some degree of leadership skills. The latter could be acquired from other places, but it's still not something you'll magically just have if you've never had to lead any sort of a project. So applying to positions like that on a whim is kind of pointless. If you're qualified, you know you're qualified, because you definitely have field experience in the industry to be qualified.

But then back on the, "take your shots," side of things, just because the only position being advertised is a lead or director position, doesn't mean they might not hire someone for an IC role. If you are interested in working with that team, and they're hiring at all, ping the recruiter. See if they'll consider you anyways. Worst they'll do is say, "Thank you for your interest, but we are not hiring at this level right now." And heck, they might even write back to you when something does open up. So don't be afraid to reach out.

Just now, K^2 said:

Lead positions are a little different, though.

Yep, which is why I only applied for non lead positions.  gotta keep expectations in the SOI... lol.

On 2/12/2022 at 4:58 AM, Just Jim said:

But as of about a month ago I'm the full time writer.

Oh yeah. Play testing is a big part of the QA job. And trying to dream up and anticipate what the players will do is one of the most challenging (and fun) parts of it. 

Writer is my dream job, so congratulations!

I keep hoping to move out of my tech role to something more content-related. Hard to do with 20 years of tech experience, but I'm a jack-of-all-trades now. Even some writing here and there, mostly freelance.

As a side note - I was on the QA team prior to TTI - 0.23 until about 1.05 or 1.1, whenever Ted left. Good times. I've since done some alpha/beta testing on CoaDE and now Alliance Space Guard. Don't know if I could work at Intercept, though since I live in Tacoma now - the commute to SoDo is bad enough without having to go the extra time to get to Fremont.

7 hours ago, panarchist said:

the commute to SoDo is bad enough without having to go the extra time to get to Fremont.

There are remote positions.  I'm in Olympia, and no way I'd commute to Seattle (where the job applications claim to be from), so that's all I applied for.

I'm probably dooming myself by pointing all this out to everybody, but oh well... lol.  It's really about getting the best man for the job in the role.  As much as I'd love to do it, I want a good KSP 2 more than anything else.

Edited by R-T-B

10 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

There are remote positions.  I'm in Olympia, and no way I'd commute to Seattle (where the job applications claim to be from), so that's all I applied for.

I'm probably dooming myself by pointing all this out to everybody, but oh well... lol.  It's really about getting the best man for the job in the role.  As much as I'd love to do it, I want a good KSP 2 more than anything else.

@KSPStar, don't let him get doomed!

On 2/17/2022 at 2:46 PM, KSPStar said:

I have no direct influence over the hiring process. Sorry! Best of luck to all applicants though! 

Can confirm, just got my doom letter.  It's cool though, I still have my job in cubicle hell so no hard feelings.  Best of luck to all remaining in the running.

EDIT: tbf, having a good KSP2 is more important than anything.  It's good they are handling this profesionally and not playing favorites, though I do think my modding experience is it's own value that's for them to decide at the end of the day.  Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by R-T-B