When ksp2 comes out, what mods will you want to see for it?

11 minutes ago, regex said:

If we don't have it in-game already, Procedural Tanks is my priority. Can't build a sleek, proper R-7 from stock parts.

Forget the r7, the n1 is a pain in the backside to make in stock thanks to KSP's marriage to LEGO-style parts and the lack of n1 style decouplers for anything but the non-existent 1.8m size parts.

2 hours ago, regex said:

If we don't have it in-game already, Procedural Tanks is my priority.

We know procedural wings are going to be in game, so I could definitely see it showing up for other part types, especially since using it for other major structural stuff opens up, or makes easier, more design possibilities, while helping keep part counts lower and reducing part list clutter. Even if not, having that capability already built in to the game will make it easier for it other procedural parts to be added in, I would think.

Now I could see something like fuel tanks having limitations to what you can do with them, rather than having totally free adjustment, but that seems like something that would be pretty easy for a mod to override.

For me, it's hard to say until I see the finished game, but I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of cool part mods people create. Interstellar travel being a part of the game opens up a whole other level of design space for part mods (as of now, it's quite easy for stuff to get overpowered unless you also mod the stock system extensively), and that should be fun to see. I'm also hoping (I gotta imagine this is going to be possible) that it will be possible for people to add even more planetary systems and such, which, unlike now where you can only get limited mileage adding new planets, opens up a pretty unlimited frontier for exploration.

On 12/3/2022 at 1:47 AM, LHACK4142 said:

CJ from GTA: San Andreas saying "Oh, expletive, here we go again", posted in reference to the fact that rather roundabout arguments about BDA and weapons mods make up the majority of this thread.

Ahh.

School computers are locked down pretty tight.

I know its not the point, but to have mods like that, or even in stock as a phase, like war games in space, would be really cool.

12 minutes ago, Jacob Kerman said:

School computers are locked down pretty tight.

?

12 minutes ago, Jacob Kerman said:

I know its not the point, but to have mods like that, or even in stock as a phase, like war games in space, would be really cool.

KSP is a space flight sim, not a human aggression sim, so don't expect warfare or anything weapon related to end up in stock KSP 2.

Edited by Bej Kerman

18 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

KSP is a space flight sim, not a human aggression sim, so don't expect warfare or anything weapon related to end up in stock KSP 2.

Well, Kerbal aggression sim, but yes, exactly; it is fundamentally different from the whole purpose and design of KSP as a whole. Absolutely zero consideration or dev time would ever go into anything like that, or any sort of framework that would (non-coincidentally) help support it.

Besides, this is KSP, if you want a ship to explode, you launch one and do it yourself, dammit.

1 minute ago, GigFiz said:

Well, Kerbal aggression sim

Kerbals are innocent and are largely logical and rational when things aren't exploding. Humans are the ones that invented nuclear warheads made for destroying other humans, and are now trying to push this image onto a fictional but innocent race.

37 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Kerbals are innocent and are largely logical and rational when things aren't exploding.

Oh, I know. I was just snarking that if they put they put combat in, it would technically be Kerbal warfare (being simulated by humans). I'm on the same page though, I like the complete absence of any content about, or indication of, aggression or interest in warlike behavior in Kerbalkind. There are a bazillion games about violence/warfare/aggression already, let us keep our happy little space exploration (and space disaster) sim.

Edited by GigFiz
wrong word order

20 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

?

I'm on a school computer, because I'm in Highschool.

I don't know, I'm pretty sure I've caused a lot of genocide in ksp1

On 12/5/2022 at 10:10 AM, Dragorans said:

Console mod support, like Skyrim.

Impossible but it would be amazing

Not actually impossible. If Intercept ends up going with Lua scripts for modding as an option, these mods should be safe enough to share. It's just a question of whether Intercept will want to spend time and resources to run, manage, and moderate a mod upload server.

MS and Sony have also gotten a lot softer on cross-play lately, so if you can connect to a multiplayer server running on someone's PC from a console, and the game is already set up to download the necessary mods from the server, that might be a way for console players to acquire mods. Not an ideal situation, but it'd be something and is zero additional cost for Intercept to implement this. But yeah, that's a lot of assumptions about how modding and multiplayer works that have not been confirmed  yet.

My biggest wishlist item is some form of configurable rescaler mod, like Sigma Dimensions.

Part mods can be nice to have. New mechanics can be hit or miss. But I've already determined in KSP1 that I personally like a 2x or 2.5x scale better than stock. Given that we'll be flying in the same solar system to start with, I expect this to hold true for KSP2. At the same time, I don't think this feature will be stock. Ergo - mod, please! :)

If I had to be completely honest I would say multiplayer.  I get that it will be an eventual feature in the game, but its literally the last thing listed on their road map.  We don't even know how long this early access program will last.  They have been known to last at least a couple years on other really successful releases like subnautica and the forest.  I have a buddy that I play Luna multiplayer with, and we are excited for ksp 2, but he's made it clear that he doesn't want to shell out money for a game that we can't even play together on.  He's not much of a single player gamer.  So he's intending on waiting until the multiplayer is released to buy it.  I know I will be buying it day one, and it will suck not being able to play along side him, and with that the potential knowledge gap that could possible develop if I'm picking up on things over the course of EA playing without him. 

So that's what I'm hoping someone will do.  Take making a temporary multiplayer solution like Luna on so my buddy can join in on the early access fun.

On 12/11/2022 at 12:23 AM, Laikanaut said:

Procedural tanks change the "lego" building style which I suspect they will keep, as it's a core part of the experience. However, knowing wings will be procedural, raises the question of how the fuel-filled wings will be handled - the resource container would also have to change capacity based on the wing size. That means that this kind of procedural tank would already be in the game, though perhaps not applied to the standard kinds of tanks, which would mean that the mechanic is there but unused and should be easy to change with a mod.

I think you and I are saying similar things, I just don't think I illustrated it very well.

When I say limitations on procedural tanks, I also had preserving the (lego, as you called it) building style in mind. My thought is  something along the lines of: instead of the Rockomax 8, 16, 32, and 64 tanks, you just have a single 2.5m tank that can be resized lengthwise, but it only snaps to sizes corresponding to the 8, 16, 32, 64 (and more sizes if they want), and cannot just be freely adjusted. At that point they have condensed 4+ parts into 1, but kept the building limitations, making it more of a clutter-reducing QoL feature. Then, if they went that route, I would think that making a mod to go in and remove those mandatory snap points, making things freely adjustable, would be a relatively simple affair.

I  do think tanks that you can adjust the radius of are less likely to be included, but that just means a bit more work to mod them in.

If things do go that route though, I would be rather surprised if the procedural fuel filled wings were fully adjustable (or at least would expect some kind of separate set of limitations around how it does fuel, even if the wing shape is fully procedural), since I can see far more issues with those than with the good old fashioned cylinders.

I'm not one to go the "oh just make it a toggled option" route, but some amount unlocked procedural tanks is actually something I could almost see as an included switchable option, maybe just for sandbox mode or something. Though the balancing issues if you have procedural engines, and the sizing issues if you don't,  means there will always be some hard limits without mods, I think.

I'm surprised I never commented on this thread yet. :D

First off, it's hard to think of what I want to mod into a game whose features are unknown. I mean, how do I know what I want to change when I don't even know what's there?

One of the few things I know won't be in the game is "jump drives" to teleport ships from one system to another. I think after a few interstellar trips I'd probably have no issue installing one of those, especially if they had interesting limits (like maybe ships maintain velocity so you may be going crazy fast when you arrive, or having to construct and reach "jump gates" or something). And no I don't care if it's realistic or not. I would do it because it'd be interesting and fun.

Well the problem is we don’t realy know what’s making it into ksp 2 and what’s not.

are we getting ( inserts insain list of mods from ksp 1)? Or some of the individual features from some of thoes mods

it seems like we are getting some  of thoes items, like better rovers, some kind of colony system, and a more detailed resource extraction / processing system but how does progression work?

is building probes/ communication networks a thing? I can see where you build the early parts of it, then handing off expanding your network being a thing, or maybee even have a “comsat array in a box, just toss out the back pull the lanyard and poof, half dozen sats pop themself into a legrange sat. array.

some of the comments about colony’s sounds a lot like Rover dudes Colonization system. But how deep is it? Deeper or simplified?

Right now, we just don’t know

Edited by [email protected]

On 12/11/2022 at 10:23 AM, Laikanaut said:

Procedural tanks change the "lego" building style

On 12/13/2022 at 4:30 AM, GigFiz said:

When I say limitations on procedural tanks, I also had preserving the (lego, as you called it) building style in mind. My thought is  something along the lines of: instead of the Rockomax 8, 16, 32, and 64 tanks, you just have a single 2.5m tank that can be resized lengthwise, but it only snaps to sizes corresponding to the 8, 16, 32, 64 (and more sizes if they want), and cannot just be freely adjusted. At that point they have condensed 4+ parts into 1, but kept the building limitations, making it more of a clutter-reducing QoL feature.

This please, please!

Surprised I miss this thread for so long...

So On top of my wish-list are Propellers.  Not those "Some assembly required" ones from KSP1, I never got those to work and they make me angry, lol.
Completed, already built propellers.  Not required but having variants that are shielded (like those from stock propellers, a metal ring around them) would be nice too.

Internal cycle propellers,
Regular Propeller (LF + oxygen intake)
and electrical propellers.

To me this is very important to  my playstyle and I spent a week or two way back then modding my own.
Why?  You can make very long/unlimited range exploration planes, you can fit them on rovers too and it doubles as a water engine for worlds with liquids to sail on.
3 sizes/power would do the trick (probe-sized, small plane-sized, and large ones.
A ducted-fan (electrical jet engine) comes next but is far less important...

Hopefully propellers will be part of the game at release, but I'm not hopeful, having seen nothing of that so far.
Obviously Outer Planets Mod for KSP2 would/will be sweet, and I think that's next.  But there's no telling until we start playing and actually see "What's Missing"

-- Happy Holidays folks !