What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

So today I tried to finish my trip to Eeloo.  I was on the surface with Bill, Bob, and Billy-Bobmund, and I decided to try finishing the journey and bring them home.  And I ran into a host of problems:

• When viewing Eeloo from Map View, you cannot center the planet, nor can you look directly down on it from either pole and have it centered on your screen.  Moving the mouse to try and rotate around the planet is an exercise in futility and frustration.  The camera decides to do whatever it wants, instead of going slowly so I can get to the right angle.  I spent probably 30 minutes this morning just trying to view Eeloo from either pole with ZERO luck.
  • Want an intercept to Kerbin?  Good luck.  I have a pair of mods installed that are supposed to get you into the right phase angle (or at least let you warp to the right phase angle), and after warping to the correct angle, I created a maneuver node to get home...with no actual intercept of Kerbin.  I must have spun that thing around my 100km orbit a hundred times, without being able to get even into Kerbing's SOI.  No amount of prograde/retrograde/normal/anti-normal/radial/anti-radial fiddling got me even close.  The closest I could get was 1.5 million km away.  Ok, I'll try living with that.
  • Once outside Eeloo's SOI, I tried probably a dozen or so correction burns.  Not a single one was able to get inside Kerbin's SOI.  Couldn't get closer than 1 million km.
  • Attempted to focus in on Kerbin and pull the node handles to get an intercept.  The whole new way of showing SOI sucks.  Hard.  Those wavy circles are distracting and make it hard to see what's going on.
  • Passed Eve on my way back to Eeloo.  Yep, couldn't get an intercept with Kerbin.
  • I time warped some 2 centuries, stopping every now and then to try another burn.  I hate using infinite propellant, but at this point I was like "I gotta do something". 

All told, I could NOT get back to Kerbin from Eeloo.  I have done just about everything in KSP1, but I can't do a simple transfer?  I went from Kerbin to Eeloo in back in 1 launch for the Kerpollo challenge in KSP1.  It is ridiculous that, for whatever reason, I cannot accomplish this in KSP2.

I am putting the game down AGAIN until the math gets corrected, the map gets revamped, the SOI markers change, and the game can actually be played.  Thank goodness I have KSP1.

53 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I am putting the game down AGAIN until the math gets corrected, the map gets revamped, the SOI markers change, and the game can actually be played. 

Instead you could've helped yourself and others by reporting those.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Want an intercept to Kerbin?  Good luck.  I have a pair of mods installed that are supposed to get you into the right phase angle (or at least let you warp to the right phase angle), and after warping to the correct angle, I created a maneuver node to get home...with no actual intercept of Kerbin. 

Did you make sure the mods are doing things correctly? Did you manually confirm the phase angle was actually correct?

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Instead you could've helped yourself and others by reporting those.

I refuse to submit any more bug reports.  The last one I submitted was regarding symmetry for parts not working...and one of the bug hunters decided that the report wasn't worth posting the way I submitted it.  I gave a video to show what was happening, the log file, my specs, and a written account.  He decided it was a teaching moment and created his own post to show how it should have been done.  Which pretty much mirrored mine, but without anything I submitted.

I refuse.  If they don't want the information I give, then I'm not giving anything.  It isn't up to them what gets submitted.

2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

When viewing Eeloo from Map View, you cannot center the planet, nor can you look directly down on it from either pole and have it centered on your screen.  Moving the mouse to try and rotate around the planet is an exercise in futility and frustration.  The camera decides to do whatever it wants, instead of going slowly so I can get to the right angle.  I spent probably 30 minutes this morning just trying to view Eeloo from either pole with ZERO luck.

Have you tried holding the middle mouse button in the map view? One of the new features in the map view enables you to drag the focus to anywhere you want by holding the middle mouse button and dragging your mouse to shift the focus point of the map.

The game could certainly use a transfer window planner tool like KSP1 has...

2 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

Have you tried holding the middle mouse button in the map view? One of the new features in the map view enables you to drag the focus to anywhere you want by holding the middle mouse button and dragging your mouse to shift the focus point of the map.

The game could certainly use a transfer window planner tool like KSP1 has...

Yeah, I did that with MMB; didn't work.  Used the mod I created to place focus on Eeloo; didn't work.  Put the focus on the ship; didn't work.

The issue is the plane of inclination relative to Kerbol.  I don't have this issue with Kerbin or Duna or even Jool.  But with a planet that has a steep inclination relative to the star, the map just doesn't center and/or flatten the way it should.

52 minutes ago, Haustvindr said:

Today, I redesigned my fun long range coffin vessel.

X2ZZNi9.png

Those panels can't bring enough juice though, might redesign later, again.

Nice design. How much dV do you get from full charge?

Personally I don’t find much use in solar panels because where I end up going with something g like that they don’t provide much value when that far away from the sun. 

1 hour ago, Haustvindr said:

Today, I redesigned my fun long range coffin vessel.

X2ZZNi9.png

Those panels can't bring enough juice though, might redesign later, again.

This thing is so cool! I'm having fun with spaceplane experiments today, but this looks like a fun alternative...

50 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Nice design. How much dV do you get from full charge?

Personally I don’t find much use in solar panels because where I end up going with something g like that they don’t provide much value when that far away from the sun. 

The game tells me around 6200m/s, but dV gets a little wonky with the external tanks so I'm not really sure, it may be probably less. It's made heavier than other coffins I made though, so the TWR is probably enough to land only in the smaller moons. There's 2 RTGs in there (to keep our kerbonaut warm, of course), landing gear (in KSP1 bay I just landed on its doors), and so on.

Just now, The Aziz said:

I think Eeeloo is cursed then. Because while trying to fly there I just summoned the strongest Kraken I've ever seen in my life and that easily beats anything that ever happened in KSP1.

See, getting to Eeloo was almost no problem.  Jool got in the way, and I had to do a gravity assist.  But getting home was not possible.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

I think Eeeloo is cursed then. Because while trying to fly there I just summoned the strongest Kraken I've ever seen in my life and that easily beats anything that ever happened in KSP1.

I feel your pain. I'm finding with my Jool 5 mission that I'm having to repeat just about every major mission phase 4-5 times, because something always bugs out.  The worst thing IMO is that some of the bugs have a prolonged latency, so you don't realize that you're snake-bit until much later when you try to undock or re-dock your lander and everything explodes. Lather, rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. Still, I've managed to do Laythe, Tylo, and Vall now, and surprisingly of the three Vall, which I finished this morning was the most maddeningly difficult.  It was ridiculously hard for me to get a good encounter coming from Tylo, but worse, it seems like in the Vall SOI the orbital decay bug  happens every time you take two things that are docked together to less than 20km from the surface.  It took me quite a while to figure it out, but I also determined in the process that the orbital decay bug and the docking insanity are somehow tightly linked.  Every time the combined ship would start to drift in its orbital path, any future attempt to dock or undock my lander would prove disastrous.  Any attempt to focus elsewhere and come back, or f5-f9 from that situation, would also have the ship come back like some tremendous jolt had gone through it, with everything flailing around.  These three things seem to all be inexorably linked together, and AFAICT once that happens to a craft, the only remedy is to go back to a save from before the point where the drift bug first appeared.

Edited by herbal space program

5 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Phase angle of -80.8 degrees.

Sounds about right. Not much wisdom from me. Have fun with less ambitious missions until these things are ironed out.

Personally, I'll wait for the colonies to arrive before attempting something more grand than Mun/Minmus...

Edited by cocoscacao

Tried a Duna mission yesterday.

At launch while already out of atmosphere the vehicle kept disintegrating. Maybe my fault, but someone else posted a similar bug.

After the Duna lander was meeting again with the transfer stage, I undocked the lander and deorbited it. Afterwards the transfer stage was on a trajetory leaving Duna (bug was also already reported).

I made it to Kerbin and did land there. But I could not recover the vehicle. Switched to tracking station and the vehicle was completely missing.

Waiting for the next patch to see if maybe orbits and trajectories are somewhat reliable. In the current state I am not even trying to put anything longterm into an orbit.

Edited by running_bird

On 7/16/2023 at 6:10 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

Phase angle of -80.8 degrees.  Part of the problem I mentioned above is the inability ility to view the map properly from Eeloo.

Is it in Eeloo's SOI only?

Eeloo's one of the most friendly worlds for doing interplanetary transfers the "wrong" way of leaving the SOI, then when in interplanetary space doing your transfer burn. Because it's so far away, the burn home isn't that much more expensive. Also, you don't have to reserve fuel for coming home as the atmosphere can do the work (heat's still off right? ...right? :blush: )

Just now, Superfluous J said:

Is it in Eeloo's SOI only?

Eeloo's one of the most friendly worlds for doing interplanetary transfers the "wrong" way of leaving the SOI, then when in interplanetary space doing your transfer burn. Because it's so far away, the burn home isn't that much more expensive. Also, you don't have to reserve fuel for coming home as the atmosphere can do the work (heat's still off right? ...right? :blush: )

Heat is still off, so if I can get an intercept, I can plot the Pe at like 30000m and use the atmosphere to slow down.

Anyhow, I'm in Eeloo's SOI, at about a 100000m orbit.  It is just odd that I can't plot a course home from Eeloo, even though it was easy as cake to get there.

I will try just leaving Eeloo and burning while in Kerbolar orbit?