Greetings Kerbin!

Questor30

Hello all. I decided to introduce myself and mention how helpful this forum has already been in my adventures.

I have seen KSP advertised for years and was always curious. I had no idea how detailed and complex it gets.

I've played other space agency simulations, even all the way back to Commodore 64 days. Most are exciting, but very few force you to think so carefully about the impact your decisions make on the physics.

I love the ambiance of being an armchair astrophysicist. I work in the chemical science field, and it is refreshing to see a simulator that is more true to real problems and mathematically based solutions.

Playing in career mode, it has been a struggle at times to achieve contract goals with a limited supply chest. I usually adopt the trial and error approach, which results in tumbling rockets at times.

Thanks for giving back to the community. Many threads in this forum have addressed my issues thus far.

Adios!

Edited by Questor30

Hi @Questor30

Trial and error sums up the Kerbal approach much of the time - though a computational approach can be used to great effect too (though with fewer explosions - probably).

Per Experimentum et Defectum Ad Astra!

On 6/2/2023 at 11:22 PM, Questor30 said:

I work in the chemical science field, (...)

Chemical science seems to sometimes be about some intentional explosions, and not wanting the unintentional ones. Much like what the first scientists of Rocket Propellant had to endure. :)

Welcome to the forums!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in career mode, no mods.

I seem to be having an ongoing problem with collecting science.

I have no trouble with cash, and I enjoy completing the contracts but seem to be limited in completing them without the appropriate tech advancements.

Specifically in this case, I would like to pursue an immanent orbital rendezvous mission but don't have enough science to obtain both a docking module and RCS thrusters, which I wouldn't want to attempt without. Through the guides provided, I collected the easy science at Kerbal Space Center. I can't seem to get the biome-specific science in the "flying low" and "flying high" situations in the rest of Kerbin, though.

Others have posted how easy they collected readings and I just can't seem to find where the biome begins and ends. I tried the "Science!" mod but it was for an earlier version. Mine is 1.12.

Any advice for career mode?

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Flying science is hard to collect. I don't try. Shoot small instrument landers are the various land biomes, sea, poles, and stuff. 

Thanks. That I can do. I thought I was just missing a trick or something.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/16/2023 at 9:12 PM, Questor30 said:

I can't seem to get the biome-specific science in the "flying low" and "flying high" situations in the rest of Kerbin, though.

Others have posted how easy they collected readings and I just can't seem to find where the biome begins and ends.

For those situations, the border between flying low and flying high is ~20 km from sea level (on Kerbin).  You must do your science and collect all of it there before you reach above 20 km. I recommend adding at least 2 of each science experiment you have unlocked to do so that when you cross 20 km, you don't have to reset all of your current science.

On 6/17/2023 at 10:12 AM, Questor30 said:

I'm in career mode, no mods.

I seem to be having an ongoing problem with collecting science.

I have no trouble with cash, and I enjoy completing the contracts but seem to be limited in completing them without the appropriate tech advancements.

Specifically in this case, I would like to pursue an immanent orbital rendezvous mission but don't have enough science to obtain both a docking module and RCS thrusters, which I wouldn't want to attempt without. Through the guides provided, I collected the easy science at Kerbal Space Center. I can't seem to get the biome-specific science in the "flying low" and "flying high" situations in the rest of Kerbin, though.

Others have posted how easy they collected readings and I just can't seem to find where the biome begins and ends. I tried the "Science!" mod but it was for an earlier version. Mine is 1.12.

Any advice for career mode?

Thanks.

take a small spacecraft to Minmus and hop around on suborbital jumps to get lots of science from all the biomes (over 1000). (there are at least 11). carry out Crew report, mystery goo, pressure scan, thermometer, eva report and surface sample. You may need a level 2 launch pad, r&d, tracking station and astronaut complex. This may set you back a million funds which should be no problem for you. Use an experiment storage unit to store the science until you get back.

Do this after all the previous suggestions if you need the science or money to do so

3 hours ago, TheSpaceDinos4037 said:

For those situations, the border between flying low and flying high is ~20 km from sea level (on Kerbin).  You must do your science and collect all of it there before you reach above 20 km. I recommend adding at least 2 of each science experiment you have unlocked to do so that when you cross 20 km, you don't have to reset all of your current science.

the border is 18,000 meters and also, quick note that many flying high science is not biome specific.

On 6/2/2023 at 10:22 PM, Questor30 said:

Hello all. I decided to introduce myself and mention how helpful this forum has already been in my adventures.

I have seen KSP advertised for years and was always curious. I had no idea how detailed and complex it gets.

I've played other space agency simulations, even all the way back to Commodore 64 days. Most are exciting, but very few force you to think so carefully about the impact your decisions make on the physics.

I love the ambiance of being an armchair astrophysicist. I work in the chemical science field, and it is refreshing to see a simulator that is more true to real problems and mathematically based solutions.

Playing in career mode, it has been a struggle at times to achieve contract goals with a limited supply chest. I usually adopt the trial and error approach, which results in tumbling rockets at times.

Thanks for giving back to the community. Many threads in this forum have addressed my issues thus far.

Adios!

Hello there buddy, also new to the forum but a long time KSP1 and now KSP2 player.