Hotfix Summer

Nate Simpson

It's "ask me anything", not "I will answer everything". Answering to them all even with "not my area of expertise" or "can't talk about it" when there's hundreds of questions asked and the available time is just over an hour, would make it pretty much impossible. And boring. Yes, the questions are picked because they have to be when time is limited and the answers are expected to have any substance. Asking every single dev from every department why rockets are wobbly (for example) will lead to disap.. I mean, "disappointment". People have roles. And will answer according to their roles.

And honestly, as a person who's more on the artsy side, rather than engineering, I very much enjoyed the AMA with all the chosen questions.

As for live posted questions, scrolling through twitch chat spam ain't interesting. Especially when there are people crying about why their questions weren't picked like if that was the worst thing that ever happened in their lives.

6 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

I think you may be referring to the same phenomenon listed in the original post as "SAS causes runaway pitch oscillation for aircraft in flight." SAS does not currently like to provide incremental control surface commands - it's very all or nothing right now, which leads to the up-down seesawing. It's bad enough that I don't really even attempt SAS when I'm flying aircraft these days. It's a high-priority issue for us.

But fixing this control surface issue will fix SAS gently cradling rockets in space as well, right? 

36 minutes ago, Sylvi Fisthaug said:

But fixing this control surface issue will fix SAS gently cradling rockets in space as well, right? 

SAS being critically dampened would fix that anywhere. Now they will probably never get that perfect, but hopefully close. 

7 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

SAS does not currently like to provide incremental control surface commands - it's very all or nothing right now, which leads to the up-down seesawing. It's bad enough that I don't really even attempt SAS when I'm flying aircraft these days. It's a high-priority issue for us.

Glad to hear this is being looked at. As a newb in comparison to most on this forums the system designed to round off some of the edges not working is pretty frustrating. Right now something as basic as lerping between the desired angle change and the max value a control surface can pitch would help considerably with SAS compared to the boolean behavior you all are using now.

6 hours ago, Redneck said:

To me a true AMA event should be exactly that "Ask me anything" in regards to KSP2. And that includes the hard questions as well such as "When is the next patch due out ?" "Why was the game released in the condition it was ?" When will This bug or that bug be fixed ?"

Would you be happy with “I have no idea” as an answer? 

There are a few people there who would be able to give you educated guesses with an emphasis on “guesses.” How do you think you and the community would react if they said “six weeks” and then it turned out to be two months?

What kind of answer to the “why was it released” question do you think would satisfy you? 

In any AMA questions need to be curated. Some of them will be directed at the wrong person: you can’t expect an artist to answer engineering questions, or an engineer to answer publishing questions. Some will be repetition. Some will be unanswerable. Some will be just trolling.

5 hours ago, Redneck said:

you tell me. What would you like to see not see or change? And how would you change it?

I’d like to see less hostility from the fans. I’d change it by tolerating less of it. Connections go both ways and if you’ve got half the audience ready to use anything you say against you it’s not really conducive to a relaxed, open chat.

I think by now IG are doing great given the circumstances and don’t see anything much they need to change in the way they communicate. They’ve improved a LOT over the past months — as has the game. And the atmosphere will continue to improve as the game gets better, although I expect there will always be a few loud people who won’t put down their pitchforks no matter what!

Edited by Periple

played some KSP2 before the hot-*splat* hit.

Enjoyed playing KSP2 on my new-space potato.

Still not ready for primetime, and certainly not recommending buying KSP2 until 1.0.1.0-release and is 50% off.

Still no officially sanctioned modding.

11 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

I think you may be referring to the same phenomenon listed in the original post as "SAS causes runaway pitch oscillation for aircraft in flight." SAS does not currently like to provide incremental control surface commands - it's very all or nothing right now, which leads to the up-down seesawing. It's bad enough that I don't really even attempt SAS when I'm flying aircraft these days. It's a high-priority issue for us.

It's  because your control surfaces deflect far too fast for the tuning of that PID.  You don't want to make the PID too muddy and slow to react - instead you need control surfaces that don't twitch so fast.  Try adjusting your control surface deflection rate, if you implemented one, the prior product has one.    It'll help with planes being so twitchy under manual keyboard control too.  Feels like its currently set to 240+ degrees per second - try something more normal like an actuator speed of 30-45 degrees per second (eg, what KSP has theirs set to)

You guys need to work on your procedures.

The game was released as EA way too early*, and had some pretty major bugs. Problem #1

The patches released fixed some bugs, but introduced a few more as well. Problem #2

The hotfix released to fix some of the issues introduced by the patch has DRM enabled. Problem #3

It seems like you guys are running things on a wing and a prayer. If I, or anyone else, worked like this, we'd be facing disciplinaries . It seems amazingly unprofessional.

It seems like every week my expectation that this game will actually get finished takes a big hit. It really hurts to see something you love being treated so badly.

*this is painful to write considering the time it actually took to get to EA, Maybe that should actually be Problem #1 ?!  :D 

Hey Nate,
this is for you. Matt did a great job making this video and, honestly, I agree with every word he says (and just like me, it seems like nearly 2k more people also agree with him). Kerbals NEED a mentality upgrade from "hey they are green incompetent and funny "little things" to "Kerbals are better engineers than humans and can do better than them" and stop justifying bugs that should have never existed in the first game saying that they should be a part of it. I'm quoting Matt when he says "This is dumb" and I hope the community will open your eyes to something you seem to be blind to. It's not KSP anymore, Kerbals are back now and they should be taken more seriously!

Kerbals are as competent as the Kerbal between chair and keyboard. Matt's video gives me barn vibes and off course he can have his take seeing the world like he is (a competent Kerbal construction engineer, and therefore Kerbals are competent construction engineers and should be seen as such) and not like the world actually is.

I don't mind an optional autostrut to be able to build ridiculous contraptions, but otherwise, just fix the current wobbling a bit and just leave wobbleness as a sign of bad engineering. 

Edited by LoSBoL

On 6/30/2023 at 1:55 PM, Nate Simpson said:

Now that summer’s here, with all its vacation-related comings and goings, I’ll be letting other parts of our team handle forum posting for a while. In the coming month, you’ll still see the following on the forums:

• Bug report updates
  • More AMAs
  • Challenges

In addition, we’ll be uploading more gameplay clips to our social channels.

I’ll still be lurking both here and on Discord, so you’ll see me in the comments from time to time. We’ve got a lot of good momentum coming off the last update and we’re already making great headway on the next one. I’m looking forward to sharing our progress with you soon.

So after promising more transparency, you are going to slow down the cadence by which you communicate with us?  I mean, everyone deserves a vacation and all.  But no updates for the forseeable future?

12 hours ago, The Aziz said:

And honestly, as a person who's more on the artsy side, rather than engineering, I very much enjoyed the AMA with all the chosen questions.

We've had 3 AMA's now, and none of them were with anyone from engineering or software development or anything on the technical side.  The three AMA's we've had were:

• 3/24 with Nate
  • 4/20 with Shana Markham (Design Director)
  • 6/29 with Kristina Ness (Art Director)

Who exactly are we suppose to ask technical questions to when we aren't getting the opportunity to ask them of the technical people?

12 hours ago, The Aziz said:

As for live posted questions, scrolling through twitch chat spam ain't interesting. Especially when there are people crying about why their questions weren't picked like if that was the worst thing that ever happened in their lives.

I will challenge and ask you - and anyone else reading this, for that matter - to pick a Green Bay Packer game, any game, and log onto Packers.com on the day of that game.  Senior Staff Writer Mike Spofford hosts a live blog during the game where he:

• Gives play-by-play of the game as it's happening live
  • Answers questions and comments, interacting with the 3000 or so people who join
  • Writes summarizations for posting on the website for end of quarter/half/game
  • Works on stories related to players of the game that will be posted shortly after the game ends
  • Begins working on answering questions for the next days' Insider Inbox (which is where fans send in questions and the staff writers answer them ON A DAILY BASIS)
  • Begins formulating ideas for all other content that gets posted during the week

Anyone who is of the mind that you cannot take live questions and interact with people as the event is happening are simply wrong.  It isn't a matter of "they cannot do it", but rather a matter of "they won't do it".

8 hours ago, Periple said:

What kind of answer to the “why was it released” question do you think would satisfy you? 

What answer would satisfy us?  Well, let's start with the truth and go from there.  An honest, real answer as to why the game was nearly polished 3 years ago but then was released in this state in EA.  Let's hear an honest answer as to why the game was pushed out in EA when it clearly shouldn't have been.  The truth.  Nothing more, nothing less.

In any AMA questions need to be curated. Some of them will be directed at the wrong person: you can’t expect an artist to answer engineering questions, or an engineer to answer publishing questions. Some will be repetition. Some will be unanswerable. Some will be just trolling.

I cannot overstate how many times in my current software job I have had to learn about and speak to job functions that are technically not my own because we are all a team and project deadlines cannot slip.  I am not a DBA, but I end up having to cover for one.  I'm not a project manager, but I end up having to cover for one.  I'm not a heavy C# scripter, but I end up having to write enough to get someone else's dtsx files to work because they are on vacation and stuff blew up.

They are a TEAM, and should absolutely, unequivocally support one another.  Which should include speaking to things that technically aren't in their wheelhouse.

I’d like to see less hostility from the fans.

Agreed...but I'll take it a step further and say I'd like to see less hostility from the fans towards other fans who don't share the same opinion.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

What answer would satisfy us?  Well, let's start with the truth and go from there.  An honest, real answer as to why the game was nearly polished 3 years ago but then was released in this state in EA.  Let's hear an honest answer as to why the game was pushed out in EA when it clearly shouldn't have been.  The truth.  Nothing more, nothing less.

What would you accept as the truth? 

You’ve already said you don’t trust the developers. They’ve already said a lot. Several people here just accuse them of lying if they don’t like what they heard. Would you recognize the truth if it wasn’t something that confirmed your priors?

I cannot overstate how many times in my current software job I have had to learn about and speak to job functions that are technically not my own because we are all a team and project deadlines cannot slip. 

In public? To a hostile audience?

They are a TEAM, and should absolutely, unequivocally support one another.  Which should include speaking to things that technically aren't in their wheelhouse.

Including giving release estimates on somebody else’s behalf, knowing that there will be hell to pay if they slip? Pointing fingers at each other to lay blame? Would you call that kind of behavior “absolutely, unequivocally supporting one another?”

Agreed...but I'll take it a step further and say I'd like to see less hostility from the fans towards other fans who don't share the same opinion.

I agree, that’s really uncalled-for! We ought to be able to disagree without getting hostile about it!

14 minutes ago, Periple said:

Um, the truth?  Like, the actual truth, which we know we will never get.  I can't make it any more plain to you than that.

15 minutes ago, Periple said:

In public? To a hostile audience?

In meetings.  To hostile management.  Where I lose my job and the company loses millions if I refuse to be a team player.  We all have to do stuff we don't like or may be uncomfortable.  But we're all adults; if they can't handle the heat...

16 minutes ago, Periple said:

Including giving release estimates on somebody else’s behalf, knowing that there will be hell to pay if they slip? Pointing fingers at each other to lay blame? Would you call that kind of behavior “absolutely, unequivocally supporting one another?”

Giving release estimates that they have been told to give?  Yes.  Making stuff up on the fly?  No.  Again, the truth.

And I never said to point fingers or lay blame on someone else.  Speaking to another part of the team is not the same as blaming someone else for stuff that happens.

10 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Um, the truth?  Like, the actual truth, which we know we will never get.  I can't make it any more plain to you than that.

That sound like a roundabout way of saying “nothing.” If you “know” we’ll never get the truth, then you’ll never accept anything they do say as the truth. Or am I misunderstanding you?

14 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

In meetings.  To hostile management.  Where I lose my job and the company loses millions if I refuse to be a team player.  We all have to do stuff we don't like or may be uncomfortable.  But we're all adults; if they can't handle the heat...

What would your manager say if you said the same things in public?

16 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Giving release estimates that they have been told to give?  Yes.  Making stuff up on the fly?  No.  Again, the truth.

Do you think an artist ought to give an estimate on a production deadline or estimate an engineering effort, in public, to a hostile audience?

18 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

And I never said to point fingers or lay blame on someone else.  Speaking to another part of the team is not the same as blaming someone else for stuff that happens.

What if it’s not possible to tell the truth without blaming someone? 

43 minutes ago, Periple said:

That sound like a roundabout way of saying “nothing.” If you “know” we’ll never get the truth, then you’ll never accept anything they do say as the truth. Or am I misunderstanding you?

What would your manager say if you said the same things in public?

Do you think an artist ought to give an estimate on a production deadline or estimate an engineering effort, in public, to a hostile audience?

What if it’s not possible to tell the truth without blaming someone? 

Are you just looking to start an argument?  Are you incapable of answering a question without a question?  I've answered the way I'm going to answer, and you aren't going to accept my answers without asking more questions.  I've given what I have.  Either accept it or don't.

11 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Are you just looking to start an argument?

No!

11 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Are you incapable of answering a question without a question?

No!

12 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I've answered the way I'm going to answer, and you aren't going to accept my answers without asking more questions.

It’s true that I don’t find your answers satisfactory, which is why I’ve been asking follow-up questions. Please don’t feel obligated to answer if you don’t want to!

13 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I've given what I have.  Either accept it or don't.

Okay! I didn’t mean to upset you, although I did want to push back a little and challenge you where I thought you might be a bit unreasonable. As I said earlier, I think we ought to be able to disagree without becoming hostile or even defensive!

I think players who bought full price before this first sale should be promised all future DLCs for free.

This sale is a slap in the face for everyone who did the first months of alpha testing for the team.

at least it seems to me that now there is a  huge speed improvement 356 FPS (at 4K) on the main menu is really good, since the first version.

akD1Qwo.jpg

Edited by pmborg

2 hours ago, Periple said:

You’ve already said you don’t trust the developers. They’ve already said a lot. Several people here just accuse them of lying if they don’t like what they heard. Would you recognize the truth if it wasn’t something that confirmed your priors?

Well, Nate made us believe that the game was polished for three years. So he is a good speaker and will be able to tell the truth so that we believe. It's just a little late, too much time has passed since the release of early access, too much pride in the game has been expressed, too few patches have been released. But he should at least try. Of course, there is an alternative option - to start going through the roadmap at high speed, to offer bloggers to play early access multiplayer (which developers have been playing since 2019) or to show the work of large colonies.

16 minutes ago, pmborg said:

at least it seems to me that now there is a  huge speed improvement 356 FPS (at 4K) on the main menu is really good, since the first version.

akD1Qwo.jpg

Here's to hoping we see the same in-game!

Edited by pipe

54 minutes ago, dr.phees said:

I think players who bought full price before this first sale should be promised all future DLCs for free.

This sale is a slap in the face for everyone who did the first months of alpha testing for the team.

I think people who bought the game before patch 1/2 should get DLC's for Free 

I'm hoping they dont come for years though