KSP2 EA Grand Discussion Thread.

James Kerman

2 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

yet it's the same devs that haven't been able to hold a word for 3+ years and refuse to make any compromise unless it's 2 weeks in the future.

Ain't that way better? Instead of promises of a finished game, now you have realistic comms about development stating that they can't really estimate it.

On 8/16/2023 at 3:47 AM, Klapaucius said:

I fit into the category of someone who has stopped KSP1 after KSP2 started (but have now pretty much dropped all of it).  Here are my reasons:

1.  KSP1 was decling for me anyway in the year prior to KSP2s release. Mainly this was because I always enjoyed the community aspect, particularly the challenge page.  And what I was finding was that not many new challenges were being put forward, and when I put forward my own, I got almost no takers--which had almost never been the case before.  I tended to get good responses to most (not all of course) of my challenges, but suddenly no one was interested.  It seemed a lot of the folks I saw regularly on the forums I frequented drifted off--I have a feeling real life (as in the pandemic) probably played a role.

2.  I was super-keen to be in on the early development of KSP2 and see how it progressed. So, I initially invested a lot of time and effort despite the challenges of bugs.  My builds took a bit of a different tack--still weird, but also some replicas (Wright Flyer, Santos Dumont's 14Bis) which I had never done in KSP1.  The KSP2 Builds page started taking  up the mantel of the wonderful KerbalX.  But... the community over in KSP2 land has turned toxic.  I get there is a lot to criticize, and I have had my share of frustrations and rage quitting moments, but the forums are generally full of the same arguments and counter arguments ad nauseum.  It is exhausting.  Occassionally I still open the forums and comment (like today) but for the most part, I am tuning out.  I think my KSP days may be reaching an end.  It is just not fun anymore.  Perhaps unfairly my experience with KSP2 and the forums has put me off all of it.

I wish I could find some way to recreate the vibe just after the release of Breaking Ground.  It was the best time gamewise and community-wise.  

Ever since the Early Access announcement, I've basically turned all of my kerbal energies towards the RP-1 (Realistic Progression) family of mods. They just released a large update, and are releasing new updates and patches pretty much once a week. I pop over here every now and then to check on things, but I'm primarily keeping up with RP-1.

If you're looking for something kerbal to get excited about again, it might be worth a shot!

3 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

Ain't that way better? Instead of promises of a finished game, now you have realistic comms about development stating that they can't really estimate it.

But... we've known they can't estimate anything for checks notes at least 3 years. We also don't have comms since they skipped last week and the one prior save for the bug status.

I agree with the take I've seen fellow forum users post, saying that Science is gonna be pretty dawning in that it'll define their vision, and the level of quality for roadmap features that they intend. If anything, guess that's just how far ya'll have to put up with me... and maybe some others.

[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

1 hour ago, PDCWolf said:

We also don't have comms since they skipped last week and the one prior save for the bug status.

I agree with the take I've seen fellow forum users post, saying that Science is gonna be pretty dawning in that it'll define their vision, and the level of quality for roadmap features that they intend. If anything, guess that's just how far ya'll have to put up with me... and maybe some others.

Comms are off because... summertime.

I don’t think that we can judge the scope based on science. I'll wait for colonies, 'cause that's  the major diverting point from the original.

Even so, I am actually more interested how present bugs are gonna be resolved. Science be damned... 

1 hour ago, cocoscacao said:

I don’t think that we can judge the scope based on science. I'll wait for colonies, 'cause that's  the major diverting point from the original.

Even so, I am actually more interested how present bugs are gonna be resolved. Science be damned... 

I'd say even if you removed every single bug from current KSP2 and make it go 400fps on 4k on the recommended hardware, it's still not worth it, and I don't mean that as in price, but just as a sequel in general. Ignoring everything right now, it's pretty much a graphics remaster, it has nothing to stand on by itself yet.

9 hours ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

This made me look through some of the posts in that thread again and came across this one. It made me do a really uncomfortable laugh. 

LMAOOO this aged like fine milk.

Edited by VlonaldKerman

Tbh i think them wanting to do mod support is one of the last things id doubt about the mod team wanting to do because theres at least two former ksp1 modders who seem to be relatively high up (nertea and triggerau) and they probably would want good mod support. I just think its not exactly high priority right now because *vaguely gestures at game. If i were to give it a guess, we’ll probably get it right before colonies or so but thats me pulling out a random timeframe so your giess is good as mine.

3 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

Since there's a roadmap, what's wrong with that?

Did you read the rest of the post or just that? Just in case: It was a judgement of KSP2s worth as it stands now except with all bugs and performance fixed.

Heck, let me remind you it's even against Steam EA rules to try and make bank on what plans you have or what the game could be. KSP2 has already broken rules 2, 5 and 6.

1 hour ago, PDCWolf said:

Did you read the rest of the post or just that? Just in case: It was a judgement of KSP2s worth as it stands now except with all bugs and performance fixed.

Heck, let me remind you it's even against Steam EA rules to try and make bank on what plans you have or what the game could be. KSP2 has already broken rules 2, 5 and 6.

I have very, very limited internet connection atm, so I can't go and check steam rules. There was a discussion about them, and I find them very vague... Ehm, maybe not vague, but paradoxical in certain scenarios. 

To avoid any wrong assumptions, what do you expect from this as a sequel and as EA? 

You can't go much further from the core gameplay loop. So far, we have a (very unstable) foundation for things to come... which is the reason I am more interested in solidifying it, than rest of the roadmap at this point. 

16 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

For me, it’ll be more about the extent to which Science improves upon or diverges from how it worked in the first game. Because the closer it is to the previous system, the harder it becomes to understand why it wasn’t in at release.

Would anyone like to see a system with a dead star? Imagine having a pulsar. Nothing to see, except for two rays... And dead, icy planets with various scars from the supernova...

Guess the only downside would be a perpetual darkness. 

Edited by cocoscacao

1 hour ago, cocoscacao said:

Would anyone like to see a system with a dead star? Imagine having a pulsar. Nothing to see, except for two rays... And dead, icy planets with various scars from the supernova...

Guess the only downside would be a perpetual darkness. 

I'd appreciate such a thing. It's always fun (and scary) to see in Elite Dangerous when you aren't expecting it.

18 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

And in KSP 1.0, heating was simply added and that's it. 4 years after the start of development of the game. Now this simple mechanic is being turned into an incredible challenge for developers.

Speaking of this, could someone with much better memory than mine tell me if I remember correctly that, around launch, it was suggested re-entry heating will be “turned on a bit later” in KSP2 (to avoid further performance losses), and that that it just needs to be turned on later, suggesting it was more or less ready?

Also, I remember similar talks, shortly after launch, from people taking a peek inside game files, who concluded a lot of future features or roadmap items, while currently not visible to players, are there in the background, in the later stages of development, and it will be smooth sailing from here onwards. Haven’t seen updates to those claims since then, wonder what happened and if true, why those low hanging fruits are simply left there to rot. 

"simply added" (while having no insight at all on how long it took to develop) (and forgetting that it needed serious fixes in subsequent patches because it was broken) (also forgetting that said patches over the next several months added a bunch of new features of the system that were absent on release)

1 hour ago, Alexoff said:

Now this simple mechanic is being turned into an incredible challenge for developers.

Try making a mining rig in ksp 1 with insufficient number of radiators. Put it on Minmus (or any place), and start mining. Then immediately increase timewarp, and see what will happen. 

Just jumped into the EA release for the firs time today. I apologize for not having read all of the 61 pages in this thread, but... yeah, bit of work still to do. :)

It appears my HECS probe core is indestructible. I launched one up to about 230km, and then it fell back and slammed into the ground at something like 2000m/s, completely destroying everything... except the HECS core, which bounced about a dozen times before finally coming to rest a long way away. (Also, while it was bouncing the camera position dropped below the terrain mesh a couple or times, letting me see the underground star field.) I assume the blocky HUD graphics are just placeholders for now.

I think I'll wait a bit before spending too much time with it for now...