Bug Status [7/28]

• KSP Team

image.png

Hi all! Welcome back to another K.E.R.B (Kerbal End-users Report Bugs) check-in! 

We're making great progress towards v0.1.4 with many of the community's top issues being addressed alongside many other smaller issues. We do not have a timeline to share just yet, but we hope that these status updates provide some insight into what you can look forward to being included.

Thank you again for your contributions to the bug reports subforum. We truly do value your feedback as it has been critical in helping us reproduce and investigate some of the trickiest issues we've encountered thus far.

Current Top Issues:

# Bug Status
1 Wobbly Rockets Investigating
2 Orbital Decay Working on a fix
3 Undock/Decouple/Physicsless Parts causing Crafts to Fall Apart Investigating most common reports
4 Incorrect Maneuver on Inclination Change Fix implemented
5 Graphic Glitches on AMD Hardware Investigating
6 Cannot Change Craft/Vessel Name in Tracking Station- Fix implemented and verified
7 Velocity of Target Not Displayed as Relative to Target Investigating
8 Camera Resets Position Map View Working on a fix
9 Cannot Change Symmetry While Holding Strut Fix implemented and verified
10 Engine Sound Effects Not Playing Partial fix
11 Active Vessel Pulls Craft Close when in Timewarp Fix implemented and verified
12 Wobbly navball pro/retrograde markers at low relative velocities -
13 Undocking on pause causes vehicle to disintegrate Investigating, similar to #3
14 AIRBRAKES Deploying on Roll Fix implemented and verified
15 EC is not consumed or is produced infinitely Fix implemented and verified
16 Parts Manager Scroll Wheel Verifying fix
17 Prograde/Retrograde buttons not clickable Fix implemented
18 Center of Mass/Thrust/Pressure Vectors sitting on VAB Floo Fix implemented
19 Control Surface Oscillation in Atmosphere
20 Plane Wings Invert on Copy Paste Fix implemented

Note: this report is not fully representative of the work our team is focused on. This is just to provide insight into our progress on the most concerning issues to our community. Additionally, the lack of a status update does not imply a lack of importance or general progress - we just do not have anything to share at this time.

Thank you!

Hey, I want to provide additional context on the status of some of these.

1. Wobbly Rockets - Unfortunately there is no easy solution here. We are testing a bunch of ideas internally and we will assess from there.
  2. Orbital Decay - At some point some of us thought this would be fixed by some other work around orbits but unfortunately that was not the case. Engineers have been working on this area for over a month, trying different methods and finding new challenges to deal with. They are still doing as much as possible to get this fixed ASAP.
  3. Graphic Glitches on AMD Hardware - This one has been a sneaky one. So far we have not been able to reproduce internally. We have a theory about it and we are also working with AMD on it.
  4. Engine Sound Effects Not Playing - This one has also been hard to reproduce but we have a fix that we hope will help.

9 minutes ago, nestor said:

Orbital Decay - At some point some of us thought this would be fixed by some other work around orbits but unfortunately that was not the case. Engineers have been working on this area for over a month, trying different methods and finding new challenges to deal with. They are still doing as much as possible to get this fixed ASAP.

At the moment, I think this is my personal choice for single most important bug, and I feel for all of you in trying to squash it! When it finally gets there, this will definitely be the one I'm most interested in seeing a deep-dive on since it sounds like the troubleshooting process has been the most complex.

31 minutes ago, nestor said:

1. Wobbly Rockets - Unfortunately there is no easy solution here. We are testing a bunch of ideas internally and we will assess from there.
  2. Orbital Decay - At some point some of us thought this would be fixed by some other work around orbits but unfortunately that was not the case. Engineers have been working on this area for over a month, trying different methods and finding new challenges to deal with. They are still doing as much as possible to get this fixed ASAP.
  3. Graphic Glitches on AMD Hardware - This one has been a sneaky one. So far we have not been able to reproduce internally. We have a theory about it and we are also working with AMD on it.
  4. Engine Sound Effects Not Playing - This one has also been hard to reproduce but we have a fix that we hope will help.

1. I think the main problem in KSP is that if you stack 20 tanks they are all the same. In reality bottom tanks are much thicker and more sturdy than upper tanks. A solution I would be happy with in KSP is if you add a new tool that shows all the rocket nodes, and by clicking on a node you can enhance the strength of it by adding mass to both parts connected to the node. Maybe it sounds simpler to implement than it is but I'd really dig that. Not sure how beginner friendly that is but you could well ignore this option until you grow into it some day. 

Edited by kicka55

I'd like to remind everyone that adding a bunch of zeros in a specific line in config file, to reduce wobble is a workaround, not a solution.

Also

28 minutes ago, Intercept Games said:

15 EC is not consumed or is produced infinitely Fix implemented and verified

Aw shucks, now I will need solar panels again. It was good while it lasted :D

28 minutes ago, Intercept Games said:

-

What those mean though?

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, The Aziz said:

What those mean though?

30 minutes ago, Intercept Games said:

...the lack of a status update does not imply a lack of importance or general progress - we just do not have anything to share at this time.

This seems promising, the two bugs "Incorrect Maneuver on Inclination Change" and "Active Vessel Pulls Craft Close when in Timewarp" was probably in my top 3. I hope the rest can also get fixed, looking forward to the next patch.

19 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

At the moment, I think this is my personal choice for single most important bug, and I feel for all of you in trying to squash it! When it finally gets there, this will definitely be the one I'm most interested in seeing a deep-dive on since it sounds like the troubleshooting process has been the most complex.

Almost agree, I would personally like to see work on the terrain so my rovers don't get thrown up into the air and hit phantom walls, but I don't think that's going to be fixed in PQS, which is really unfortunate.

Orbital decay it is, then.

35 minutes ago, nestor said:

Graphic Glitches on AMD Hardware - This one has been a sneaky one. So far we have not been able to reproduce internally. We have a theory about it and we are also working with AMD on it

So nobody in the Office/QA-Team has AMD hardware? Interesting

6 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

What those mean though?

It usually means we were able to reproduce it, it is tracked and it is going through the process. It will eventually be scheduled to be worked on depending on a lot of factors. 

1 minute ago, Jockel said:

It does not reproduce in the AMD hardware we have available to  us. 

10 minutes ago, Jockel said:

We do actually - and we have a great relationship with AMD where they've sent us cards for testing.

However, this bug does not occur on every AMD gpu, and in fact we've narrowed it down to a specific series and have a card on the way to confirm that.

13 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

Based on the bug reports, seems to just be 6700 and 6800 cards, is that right?

We don't want to officially report out our findings until we 100% have all the details.  I'd expect the next Bug Status report will include all the information.
(But Anth was able to repro on a Radeon RX 6600 also)

1 minute ago, Alexoff said:

Yes, I read the post. Then I read it again. So I did not see the answer to the question. Where should I look?

The very bottom of the original post:

Note: this report is not fully representative of the work our team is focused on. This is just to provide insight into our progress on the most concerning issues to our community. Additionally, the lack of a status update does not imply a lack of importance or general progress - we just do not have anything to share at this time.

2 hours ago, Darrin H said:

If the dashes mean that last sentence why not just put “investigating” on those boxes? If they’ve had “general progress” than surely that means they’re at least at the investigating step yes? What other “general progress” is earlier than that step?

Cuz if it’s not at “investigating” then it hasn’t been started. The dash seems to imply that while they are still important bugs to the team, you “have nothing to share” and that it “does not imply a lack of general progress.”

So pick one. Either all of them have been at least started, and every box should be at “investigating” or later or  some of the top 20 haven’t been started yet and can have the dash. Those positions are contradictory. 

Y’all aren’t even getting criticized much here for game breaking bugs persisting for 5 months after launch and still being in the “investigating” phase. If two (relatively) minor bugs haven’t even been started yet just be honest. Honest bad news is taken way better than good news that proves to be false, as you should know by now.

Edited by moeggz
Spelling

9 hours ago, nestor said:

This is great, and I’m glad so much is being looked into. But honestly craft falling apart on decoupling/undocking is making this game completely unplayable. Since there is only sandbox mode right now, the only thing interesting to do is more complex mission building larger craft. I’m trying to build a ship to go to laythe, comprised of 2 pieces docked together, and 2 landers docked to that.  I had to dock the landers 6 times. Loaded from an earlier save, because this glitch kept popping up. Y’all really need to focus hard on this bug. It’s honestly complete bull, and is so extremely frustrating.

3 hours ago, moeggz said:

If the dashes mean that last sentence why not just put “investigating” on those boxes? If they’ve had “general progress” than surely that means they’re at least at the investigating step yes? What other “general progress” is earlier than that step?

Cuz if it’s not at “investigating” then it hasn’t been started. The dash seems to imply that while they are still important bugs to the team, you “have nothing to share” and that it “does not imply a lack of general progress.”

So pick one. Either all of them have been at least started, and every box should be at “investigating” or later or  some of the top 20 haven’t been started yet and can have the dash. Those positions are contradictory. 

Y’all aren’t even getting criticized much here for game breaking bugs persisting for 5 months after launch and still being in the “investigating” phase. If two (relatively) minor bugs haven’t even been started yet just be honest. Honest bad news is taken way better than good news that proves to be false, as you should know by now.

I'm gonna say those with the "-" you should take as "we've recognized/confirmed the issue but haven't begun work on it". Is "-" insufficient? yes, but being on the list is at least a signal of that.

Now, regarding the list, #3 has real priority and it could even be considered critical, and whilst I understand it's not necessarily a popularity contest, you are doing ranks and upvoting, so it feels like #3 is pretty much rigged.

Edited by PDCWolf

12 hours ago, Darrin H said:

Oh yeah, I forgot the main rule of IG - fans should use their imagination to paint the whole picture. What is the answer to my question? Am I right or not?