Cadet Orientation???

TechieV

This is definitely nitpicking, but as someone who hasn't played KSP2, I didn't know what "First Time User Experience" or  "Cadet Orientation" were at all at a glance. FTUE feels like some kind of development term (I'd probably assume it was some 'easier' version of the game with some altered mechanisms) and CO sounds like a gameplay feature (like some kind of training mechanic for new kerbals). If I really had to choose, FTUE is slightly more meaningful... but I'd definitely have to click the tooltip to understand what the toggle actually does.

"Enable tutorials" seems like the most obvious solution (if a bit bland), and is pretty common among other games. But really, I don't think it matters that much if there's a clear tooltip anyway.

Edited by GluttonyReaper

Didn't think to much about cadet orientation implicating something else, but yeah, reading up to the discussion I can see it raises questions marks. Especially when missing context like in the Topic title.

Considering the 'First time user experience' is something that probably also needs to trigger 'old players' interest to engage to check the box I'd try to stay away from words like 'tutorial' ’tool tips', ’beginners' or 'guidance'.

'Onboarding experience' would be something that would trigger me personally.

37 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

But I forgot, what does it change aside from the intro sequence? You can back off from the tutorials anyway, right?

It adds contextual tips through the gameplay.

At the start it explains how to build in the vab and all (you can just skip some of those if you already know them) and when you start to explore there are more tips that pop up on your screen.

And I guess in the future, when you hit interstellar (and not before) there will be tips for that, same when you unlock colonies, etc...

That's why it's not the same as tutorials which are in the training center and it's locked mission. 

Edited by Spicat

5 hours ago, Spicat said:

It adds contextual tips through the gameplay.

At the start it explains how to build in the vab and all (you can just skip some of those if you already know them) and when you start to explore there are more tips that pop up on your screen.

And I guess in the future, when you hit interstellar (and not before) there will be tips for that, same when you unlock colonies, etc...

That's why it's not the same as tutorials which are in the training center and it's locked mission. 

Exactly, I mean, since what it literally provides is small tooltips as you play the game, I can't imagine a more apt descriptor than that :P

1 hour ago, Stoup said:

Exactly, I mean, since what it literally provides is small tooltips as you play the game, I can't imagine a more apt descriptor than that :P

That's not exactly what @Spicat wrote and looking at KSP1 there's little reason* to assume they're tooltips. The "tips" provided are more likely larger dialog windows (with or without PAIGE) explaining shortly what the function is of each building being entered for the first time, and then have to be clicked out of the way.

They very well could be tooltips of course—nothing is certain until we see it—but I find it more plausible that they're roughly the same "tips" we see in KSP1.

* given the tendency for KSP2 to be a fairly exact clone of KSP1 in many aspects

My understanding was that the content of this toggle will be exactly the same as the current implementation of the First Time User Experience toggle in KSP2. Not related in any way to anything in KSP1  :/

Though on review, I see that the FTUE does in fact include at least an introductory video which would not intuitively be covered by a label of "tooltips". Wording goodly is hard!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.