What happened to increased communication?

22 hours ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

If you want to influence development, you have to get on the discord, so you can get stuff like this in.

https://imgur.com/a/NYw2qSd

19 hours ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

The problems is (IMO) many of us feel This is supposed to be the **official forum**.

18 hours ago, Oak7603 said:

I use Discord but this is the forum.

13 hours ago, Biggen said:

The discord link is broken.  Says "unable to accept invite".  I posted in that thread back in January it wasn't working and all I got was crickets from the devs.

5 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

See ... the documentation ... makes no reference that the only place to interact with the devs is on Discord, and the forums are literally touted as the OFFICIAL place for all things KSP.

I feel like none of you clicked the link. Here let me put it as an image, spoilered to give the same "surprise!" feels that I believe the original poster was going for.

Spoiler

HkshM01.png

Edited by Superfluous J

Yes, i clicked on the link.

If this were merely sarcasm instead of satire, The right hand of the forum wouldn't be full of discord posts but instead pinned messages of the forum.

The direction of the Lore is much more quirky in this game than the first. It requires slightly more suspension of disbelief when the official Debriefing for a Mun mission mentions the staging crews.

This may likely be due to fewer "official lore related missions" in the first & the overabundance of content dialogue created by the community.
I wish they would tone back the cheese a little bit.

It would not be surprising if they planned to do this

12 hours ago, TickleMyMary said:

Beyond a joke really... I've never known a company to spend 2 whole weeks on 'sprint planning', it's 4 hour meeting  once or twice month at most. Is there anybody competent at the helm?

Yeah agreed, I didn't want to say anything but that surprised me too. 

9 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

See, that's not what the documentation related to this EA says.  It makes no reference that the only place to interact with the devs is on Discord, and the forums are literally touted as the OFFICIAL place for all things KSP.

Does being on the Discord help?  Yes.  But it isn't the only place, and the company shouldn't ignore the official forums that are still very active.

I dunno, when I checked over there Dakota had like 10 posts per day or so.  Now, most of them were just chit-chat and memes, but at least he was interacting, seems like they expect people to follow them over there.  Not like there's a 'Forum tracker' on the discord that copies CM posts to them, like there's a discord tracker here. :P

3 hours ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

The direction of the Lore is much more quirky in this game than the first. It requires slightly more suspension of disbelief when the official Debriefing for a Mun mission mentions the staging crews.

This may likely be due to fewer "official lore related missions" in the first & the overabundance of content dialogue created by the community.
I wish they would tone back the cheese a little bit.

IIRC - I Dakota was replying to a post of either a rat car or a capybara in reference to adding more community memes to the game.  Not sure that's what you had in mind in terms of content dialogue.

50 minutes ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

IIRC - I Dakota was replying to a post of either a rat car or a capybara in reference to adding more community memes to the game.  Not sure that's what you had in mind in terms of content dialogue.

I need to head over there and see if I can *influence the development* & add my voice to those that think that is a degree of silliness we can all do with out.

Edited by Fizzlebop Smith

On 3/14/2024 at 9:15 PM, Superfluous J said:

Hide contents

HkshM01.png

Are you kidding me? Howbout you figure out how to make a game first, then put memes...wait. memes? So you want this game to be dated so badly that a kid 5 years from now sees a meme from today and says "what is this garbage?"

Edited by Meecrob

3 minutes ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

I need to head over there and see if I can *influence the development* & add my voice to those that think that is a degree of silliness we can all do with out.

Don't bother. I have a feeling the forums are going to be where it's at very soon.

Two weeks of planning?! Are they planning to circumnavigate the globe by sailboat  or planning to summit Mt. Everest?

Goodness. This seems like paralysis be analysis.

Edited by Biggen

9 hours ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

I dunno, when I checked over there Dakota had like 10 posts per day or so.  Now, most of them were just chit-chat and memes, but at least he was interacting, seems like they expect people to follow them over there.  Not like there's a 'Forum tracker' on the discord that copies CM posts to them, like there's a discord tracker here.

This simply tells me that, in spite of him stating they will continue to support and interact here on the forums, they are in fact ignoring the forums.

Not all of us use Discord.  Or Instagram.  Or X.  For a lot of us, the forums are our bread-and-butter for interacting with the community.  And as these are the official forums of Kerbal Space Program, we should not be ignored. Having a little thing on the side of the home page that may or may not work is not acceptable enough.  Especially not when, as I've mentioned above, Dakota has stated they will make a better effort to interact here.  Which they aren't.  Yes, Mike is out, and Dakota is having to fill both pairs of shoes right now.  Still not acceptable to ignore an entire section of your player base.

Maybe it's just that they feel the discord is more representative of their existing/target user base.  Or just that people there are nicer to them.

The discord is always happy to see the CMs it seems, even if it's just posting capybara pics at them - for a CM, the discord must seem like walking into a pub to see a bunch of friendly drunks you know, vs here where it's like a business meeting where people expect things and want a product that isn't quite what Intercept made.

I know I'd rather be at a pub than working.

Edited by SomeRandomGuy

• Community Manager
12 hours ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

I genuinely read every (KSP2-related) post on this forum. You don't need to wade into a platform you don't want to to be able to let us know what you think of the game.

I'm more reachable on Discord, yes - mostly because it's easy to quickly reply to something, compared to the forums where I want to take time to craft a solid response. There's an expected higher quality bar here that I aim to meet.

32 minutes ago, Dakota said:

I genuinely read every (KSP2-related) post on this forum. You don't need to wade into a platform you don't want to to be able to let us know what you think of the game.

I'm more reachable on Discord, yes - mostly because it's easy to quickly reply to something, compared to the forums where I want to take time to craft a solid response. There's an expected higher quality bar here that I aim to meet.

Nah it's cool I get it.  If you posted here about being off site with nate and having Howard making little musical numbers to give Nate an intro sound track, people here would be like "You're doing offsite meetings after already spending 2 weeks doing sprint planning?   When do you even work?"  And on the discord they're all like "yeah it's cool,, everyone at Intercept worked so hard on Science, you guys should go hang out, it's Friday, why you even at work?"

42 minutes ago, Dakota said:

I think the KERB is wonderful, but is contingent upon people other than yourself working with you.

This seems very logical.

You are probably much more inclined to respond in a spontaneous manner to something on discord, I get it.

Also.. I agree that *expectation* of quality communication may be obliged on the forum. 

However, the gap feel so great, that I advocate you create a forum thread that is locked.

Here you paste bulk text dumps regarding import posts on Discord.

---

Not the entirety of the Convo-

No Complicated ScreenShot Upload to Embed 

Just Share Question & Response

No need to find relevant thread to insert it into

I am sure someone can write a bot that would work with discord API to dump your discord posts into a thread.

--

The expectation of high quality crafted responses can then be removed because it is merely a place to relay info to those of us that despise 10 million notifications from discord. 

This may not be in the cards, and I'm sure you probably have valid reason this may not already be.

I see something like that potentially being a bridge.

Also, since you replied to me, that you read all these, there is a reasonable expectation on my part that you will read this... 

---

I think one think that would really resonate with those of us that have a perception of indifference..

Bring Back Polls

The up voting of bugs is most definitely a community feedback protocol 

But polls make us *feel* heard..

Also, sorting through the bug report and the archive can be cumbersome (especially when keyword searches have 0 results)

---

Once in awhile ask questions with responses having actionable impact on developement once in awhile.

"Do you think this deserves more attention?"

"How accurate is timewarp?"

OMG game breaking

Terrible

Could use a Tweak

Great

What's time warp

---

With the invention of AI tools, it wouldn't be unreasonable to have an open ended questionnaire.

Just some Shower Thoughts

• Community Manager
10 minutes ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

Bring Back Polls

Been wanting to do this for awhile, and that kinda was the point of the UI/UX and Mission Megathreads. There are some moments where the team is deciding between a few different options and in that moment we could ask the community what they think. The expectation just needs to be set that even if X wins the poll, that doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be what we go with.

12 minutes ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

Once in awhile ask questions with responses having actionable impact on developement once in awhile.

The Top 10 Requests thread was INSANELY helpful to our planning over the past couple months. Could think about different ways to do more along those lines.

I'm just popping here to say that possibilities may be limited when out of few community managers only one is left. Few weeks ago Guerrilla Games, lost two out of three thanks to mass layoffs. We used to have weekly streams on twitch, sometimes giveaways, great interactions with community and whatnot, the perfect world. Now with just one left (who's doing a stellar job, thanks Anne for what you're doing out there all alone) all we have is daily picture on social media and sometimes a marketing post as they're closing in on a game release. I imagine it's not easy managing everything as one person.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, The Aziz said:

I'm just popping here to say that possibilities may be limited when out of few community managers only one is left. Few weeks ago Guerrilla Games, lost two out of three thanks to mass layoffs. We used to have weekly streams on twitch, sometimes giveaways, great interactions with community and whatnot, the perfect world. Now with just one left (who's doing a stellar job, thanks Anne for what you're doing out there all alone) all we have is daily picture on social media and sometimes a marketing post as they're closing in on a game release. I imagine it's not easy managing everything as one person.

Really appreciate your call out of Guerrilla's current and former CMs. Worked with them in a previous role and they were some of the best.

Some developers have went to top streamers and content creators for an assist when needed.

May be a chance to do outreach and work hand in hand with a couple people that can volunteer time. 

Their fan base would be happy as heck & that would be some of the incentive.

3 hours ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

Some developers have went to top streamers and content creators for an assist when needed.

May be a chance to do outreach and work hand in hand with a couple people that can volunteer time. 

Their fan base would be happy as heck & that would be some of the incentive.

A new generation of streamers is going to have to come around for KSP2, the old ones aren't nearly as invested in it as they used to be in KSP.   There's been only 1 day this week where KSP2 got more than 100 views on twitch.   Through the grape vine I've heard  the private streamer discord for that is at a big lull too.

But maybe Intercept is just in a wait and see mode - after a couple more years of development on KSP2, then maybe we'll see a big push to get the community invested again, when the game is where they want it to be.

also this is extremely flat understanding of what there work flow is like, this is ofc different in some fashion or way

RYYtaVW.png

Just hope for mike to be back on board soon i know his situation, it should hopefully cause fewer headaches with the community communication, there is to much work for 1 person, and a little to much for 2 people, you need 3 or 4... i have something of an understanding of what's needed for this community:

• Mike and Dakota is two, which is the bare minimum from what it seems.

• 3rd should be for more communication to users and platforms that are harder to reach or not as active as discord, doesn't mean this person cannot use discord, just more active, like on the forums for example.

• 4th should be for more creation of leaks, photos, videos, mini-part/action posts to give perhaps the name, and the flavor text and its size, location leaks, and proper far away to JUST somewhat see what the leak is showing..
    • The fourth person should be in a lot of contact of the early access parts/features/ giving this user/person the time needed to make the leaks proper such as i stated before.
      Photo of part/craft/location of the building, either doing a "slow" build adding more and more parts, or start off with a chunk of new parts, and do for parts:
  1. Photo of parts or craft/building(s), or adding new part as if you are build a craft (be in space looking cool and fancy) or if a building just add it to the colony (spruce it up once in a while building a new colony to change location).
  2. Video of it in motion (if possible to see if its on, spinning, engine plumes, or even just lights turning on).
  3. Kerbal for scale (if wanted).
  4. If not in a build, see it near other craft/parts as if it was a functional part
  5. Mini post of the part, engine, and building, telling us its function, giving us the name, size and flavor text of it (can be kept secret some parts to create hype).
  6. Repeat process adding a new part to the craft/location if this way was used..

Even if we got 20 new parts and we got ALL this done besides step 6 (due to it being a repeat statement) each week, we would have 20 weeks of leaks.. 5 months or so of consistent once-a-day leaks of the game... either showing, a video, photo, kerbal for scale (if wanted), the function of the part, building, giving us a random leak of the name, function, size, or flavor text, it wouldn't be bad due to once a week a new part is shown, or added to a larger build.

The issue is that the fourth person got a lot of work to be done and is pretty much needs to be consistently working on leaks and wouldn't really have time to be a real CM, just doing the leaks. Hence, its not on the other real CM's plate, even though they are a real CM's just they have a large focus of creating leaks for the community, This person still can talk to the community just like any other CM but his job isn't juggling everything , having a solid one person doing leaks that has a good decent mental plan makes it go along way.

@Dakota This is my brain storming idea, the issue is the amount of CM's overall, there isn't a real solid answer to fix everything, but the amount people isn't enough just simply due to amount of users across all platforms.

and the last one doesn't need alot of large requirements to create the job, only real passion of the game, a clear mental focus of what and how the leaks need to be created/published, an understanding of communication to users.. etc and not like a full on real CM example:

Spoiler

jMbSRwc.png

It is hard to put into words what exactly I am feeling regarding their communication to date, but the terms “consistency”, “accuracy”, “reliability”, “lip-service”, “honesty”, “quality”, and “intentions” would all play into a rather lengthy post if I was going to get into it over the years. I think the main point is that their overall communication has been all over the map that it is pretty difficult to take anything they say at face value anymore and that won’t change without them maintaining a base level of consistency. 

Edited by MechBFP

19 hours ago, Stephensan said:

we got a long time before we get more "communication" aka (leaks)

The problem is nowadays we don't even get non-leak communication. They've made KERB monthly, we no longer get weekly "Upnates", and there hasn't been a dev chat or showcase in months.

I love leaks like the next guy, but every time I hop on the forums (about once a week or so) there's no new info from the devs.