Where is Nate?

5 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Nate is personally devastated by how all this turned out.

He still has a job over at Private Division. He’s fine. 

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Must be a (yet another) weird American thing.

To an degree, Non-compete clause is that you can not work in the same field as you was employed in the same company. 
It make some sense on the CEO level and going to an competing company, but not for other fields like game development as its their skill. 

For over a week, it comes back to the same problem: We don't have any information beyond a tweet and and a news story.

The only thing that's come out since then are goodbye messages from two or three people. No disrespect to them, but that's about individuals, not the project, or the rest of the company.

There's clearly a reason they aren't telling us more, and the only reason that makes sense to me is that something is still 'in play'.

It's frustrating, but to me, no news means there's still hope.

54 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

To an degree, Non-compete clause is that you can not work in the same field as you was employed in the same company. 
It make some sense on the CEO level and going to an competing company, but not for other fields like game development as its their skill. 

I know what it is, I signed one a few times.

Though, with typical gamedev salaries, would I want to take another job in the same field if I was already working full time? Probably not.

Posted (edited)

TTWO's Master Control Program analyzed Nate and decided to repurpose him as an opera singer.
Watch for his very special cameo in Grand Theft Auto 6.

Edited by HebaruSan

16 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Empathy not detected

No empathy from me. If I slack off at work and decide to stop working or do a poor job I get fired.

@Nate Simpson just gets shuffled around and sent to another team. 

I do have empathy for those who worked under him though. They all lost their jobs and livelihoods.

20 hours ago, stephensmat said:

There's clearly a reason they aren't telling us more, and the only reason that makes sense to me is that something is still 'in play'.

It's frustrating, but to me, no news means there's still hope.

I disagree completely. If there was hope, they'd be trying to reassure us, and avoid bad publicity for the product that they still hope to sell.

They lit a dumpster fire and walked away- it's how one disposes of unwanted trash.

The lack of communication is because shutting up is always the best option when worried about lawsuits: did they over-promise, or do the early access clauses protect them?

If they are going to abandon the game, what reason do they have to suddenly be open and communicative? They sure have reasons to disengage and shut up 

34 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

If there was hope, they'd be trying to reassure us,

Devs: we're still working on the game, can't tell more atm

Community: are you though?

D: we've told you already 

C: yea but we don't believe you, say it again.

11 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I can see the pessimism here, "we're still working on the game" can either mean PD sorted something out to keep KSP 2 running long term, or that they're just going to push one or two more updates out with the two months given by the WARN notice. The community isn't saying "are you though?",  they're responding with "corporate should not be gagging you".

"Still working" might very well just mean "We'll make sure that the Steam page remains up, that there is an account to receive any future income from sales, and that somebody is around to sue in case a competitor tries to market a Kerbal Weight Loss Program after we are gone."

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

They said support, not development, and their contracts end in less than 60 days.

They have never said that development would continue

2 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

They said support, not development, and their contracts end in less than 60 days.

"We're still hard at work on KSP2"

"The label continues to make updates to Kerbal Space Program 2"

Updates and work sound to me like development.

The studio closes in 60 days, and while some contracts end at the same time, we don't know if others have been renegotiated.

3 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Or slowly tying up a few loose ends. At this point, only working software has any relevance. Any of their statements now completely lost all credibility.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Then why people keep asking for more statements?

Because they're angry and wish for things to change. It's funny how you're not even trying to defend your original point. Keep circling....

awaiting snip snip

Edited by cocoscacao

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

"We're still hard at work on KSP2"

"The label continues to make updates to Kerbal Space Program 2"

The studio closes in 60 days, and while some contracts end at the same time, we don't know if others have been renegotiated.

Updates could be a last minute bug fixes, not really development. I think they may try to get one final update adding new content before they close,but I see nothing in their statements to give hope of continued development after the 60 days are up.

There will also be a lot of demoralized workers. Don't expect more in 2 months, from people already fired, than they accomplished in the last several years 

On 5/4/2024 at 10:07 PM, gfdgfherytrey said:

My point is that it seems disappointing that we were scammed not by Intercept Games, but by Take Two and Private Division as a whole. Intercept Games never did anything to us. They just made the game. Take Two and PD are the reason behind this.

Could you explain how we were scammed?

I'm also curious why you think either Take Two or PD (or both?) are the reason behind this and not Intercept Games.

6 minutes ago, Yakuzi said:

Could you explain how we were scammed?

I'm also curious why you think either Take Two or PD (or both?) are the reason behind this and not Intercept Games.

Because all of PD's internal studios have been either completely closed or gutted.

Which is more likely, that all their internal development teams were all personally at fault , or the organization responsible for managing them all was at fault?

5 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Because all of PD's internal studios have been either completely closed or gutted.

Which is more likely, that all their internal development teams were all personally at fault , or the organization responsible for managing them all was at fault?

That's quite the dichotomy you're painting there. 

I wasn't aware all PDs internal studios have been closed or gutted. Could you provide the  source?

In respect to the stakeholders involved in KSP2 and all the information we have since Take Two acquired the IP, do you think it's really as black and white as "developer good/producer bad", or could there more nuanced (and likely) scenarios?

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Yakuzi said:

That's quite the dichotomy you're painting there. 

I wasn't aware all PDs internal studios have been closed or gutted. Could you provide the  source?

In respect to the stakeholders involved in KSP2 and all the information we have since Take Two acquired the IP, do you think it's really as black and white as "developer good/producer bad", or could there more nuanced (and likely) scenarios?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/take-two-reportedly-shuts-down-roll7-and-intercept-games-private-division-suffers-mass-layoffs

"Bloomberg reported other Private Division staff have been affected by the layoffs, with a source telling GamesIndustry.biz that the "vast majority" of the label's teams in Seattle, New York, Las Vegas and Munich have been let go."

Of course who knows if that is accurate or not.

It is definitely going to be nuanced but it would not surprise me if all these studios "failed" as  a result of being setup to fail.

Edited by MechBFP

On 5/6/2024 at 9:29 PM, HebaruSan said:

Nate's home planet needed him.

Same deal as Poochie, I'm hearing! He didn't die on his way back though

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/take-two-reportedly-shuts-down-roll7-and-intercept-games-private-division-suffers-mass-layoffs

"Bloomberg reported other Private Division staff have been affected by the layoffs, with a source telling GamesIndustry.biz that the "vast majority" of the label's teams in Seattle, New York, Las Vegas and Munich have been let go."

Of course who knows if that is accurate or not.

It is definitely going to be nuanced but it would not surprise me if all these studios "failed" as  a result of being setup to fail.

Well, specifically regarding Roll7 the games they launched since moving publishers to PD weren't exactly run away financial successes. They were well received, at least initially, by their fans but that player base was fairly small and did not appear to be growing very quickly. However, they at least were delivering on the things they were developing. IG on the other hand has continually failed at meeting their own timeline projections.