Is there any hope for KSP2?

anis

It has been over two weeks since the last update on KSP's official Twitter account. Additionally, it's known that several InterceptGame employees (Blackrack...) have been fired, and by the end of June, at least 70 more InterceptGame employees will be let go.

Despite this, key individuals such as Nate Simpson and Chris Adderley (Nertea) are still working on the game. Furthermore, work on KSP2 continues, and Patch 6 is reportedly ready to go, with progress on the colony update advancing well.

Given these developments, is there still a future for this long-awaited, albeit somewhat disappointing, game?

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Despite the layoffs of unknown size, and overall panic, there are no signs of work stoppage. Work slowdown, yes, halt, no.

This is the most probable cas

3 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

We may find out more after today’s earnings call.

Maybe next week or so ?

7 minutes ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

Is it usual practice to announce such things at that time?

It was a guess from one of the forum members (not sure who). I wouldn't expect it today though. But I personally wouldn't expect it until the end of May to be honest.

26 minutes ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

We are all hoping that they drop some nugget of info on that call, and then expand upon it over the next week.  The harsh reality is that we may never hear anything at all.

1 minute ago, Scarecrow71 said:

We are all hoping that they drop some nugget of info on that call, and then expand upon it over the next week.  The harsh reality is that we may never hear anything at all.

Society really needs to fix the definition of "reality" (among many other words :))

17 minutes ago, NexusHelium said:

Society really needs to fix the definition of "reality" (among many other words :))

Oh?  Fix it to what?  Endless optimism in the face of the truth?

6 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Oh?  Fix it to what?  Endless optimism in the face of the truth?

That was a little weirdly worded. I meant the connotation of it. Just the fact that the word reality is usually used to describe something terrible or quote-on-quote "true"

The negative connotation needs to be fixed imo

38 minutes ago, NexusHelium said:

That was a little weirdly worded. I meant the connotation of it. Just the fact that the word reality is usually used to describe something terrible or quote-on-quote "true"

The negative connotation needs to be fixed imo

Unfortunately I think reality’s negative reputation is well earned ;) 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Unfortunately I think reality’s negative reputation is well earned ;) 

That doesn't mean reality has to be negative.

Just because you live a happy life if the world and yourself is in a really bad place doesn't mean you're denying reality or anything like that. It just means you're happy :) 

That's not denying reality, it's just choosing not to let it bother you :D 

Edited by NexusHelium

2 hours ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

Not at all; and I highly doubt they mention anything in regards to plans for KSP2 specifically on the earnings call; other than the potential for more clarity on the closures and the reduction in costs related to it. KSP2 was already dropped from their quarterly reports last year where it was previously still noted as having an expected console launch... checks date... Oh, it was already supposed to have launched on console.

In this call, they talk numbers not specific details of future plans; and any forward looking statements they do make are going to be focused on positive outlooks, such as expected revenues from GTA6.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Despite the layoffs of unknown size, and overall panic, there are no signs of work stoppage. Work slowdown, yes, halt, no.

I agree that all the communication we received from "The dev team" (can't say Intercept anymore) since the WARN notice does indeed point strongly to "business as usual."

Edited by Kerbart

6 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Worse case they are using the time from calling out firing to they leaving to do the patch and perhaps an rushed colony update. 
Often companies pay out and fire people at once so they don't do damage, but don't think is an issue here as they have current version. 

16 minutes ago, Mikki said:

Time will tell, patience .

Said, sugar, take it slow
And things will be just fine
You and I just use a little patience

Said, woman, take the time
Cuz the lights are shining bright
All we need is just a little patience...

44 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I agree that all the communication we received from "The dev team" (can't say Intercept anymore) since the WARN notice does indeed point strongly to "business as usual."

I'd hardly say what we've "received" points to "business as usual". It points toward winding down involvement by ensuring their code is commented reasonably well, finishing up any technical design docs that hadn't been fully fleshed out in regards to their near-term planning, etc. Akin to "getting to a stopping point" when reading something so you don't have to do as much overlap when you pick up the book again later.

That isn't what I'd call business as usual in development.

I'd highly doubt we (well you guys, as I refunded the game at launch) get anything further from Intercept Games in regards to actual development. The only hope you have at even getting some level of patches to resolve some of the more egregious bugs in the current version, let alone actually getting a colonies update or any of the other features on the roadmap is if Take Two does in fact decide to task another team with fixing the mess that Intercept Games has left behind.

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Worse case they are using the time from calling out firing to they leaving to do the patch and perhaps an rushed colony update

I think that's the best-case scenario (getting a last bit of work out of the devs)... not the worst-case

I think there are now 4 main possibilities to consider for the future of KSP2 :

1- They barely manage to deliver all the promised features at a slower pace and after years of delays

2- They release patch 6 and rush the Colony update

3- They simply move to another studio

4- KSP2 is dead (fortunately, this is the least likely thing to happen in my opinion)

What, do you think, is the most likely of them ?

I think the most frustrating thing about the current situation is the lack of any news and/or insight into the game's future, but yeah, wait and see :)

3 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Worse case they are using the time from calling out firing to they leaving to do the patch and perhaps an rushed colony update. 
Often companies pay out and fire people at once so they don't do damage, but don't think is an issue here as they have current version. 

To be fair, I'm inclined to agree but with one distinction, I genuinely expect they'll be further on with Colonies at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if something mid-year, or at the very worst start of autumn was the target for version 0.3.X and I honestly think if it's anything like what they've described it could have represented a big turning point for the game.