What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I've had an inkling for some time that this was about to occur.  An island has been thrust up suddenly from the seabed...  Volcanic action?  Kraken activity...?

[click + arrow => slideshow]

i989NPL.jpg    ftESnQd.jpg    fP8jGmn.jpg

I call it Kobe Island.  It is located at 0N 70W about 50 klicks downrange from the Kerbal Space Command.

The island is only 1 m ASL but it's still going to need a boat ramp to allow aquatic traffic in and out.  Probably a high-speed ferry in its future.

It's a nice place to pack a Sunday picnic lunch and take a Gopher for a joy ride.

Edited by Hotel26

Havent done much kerbal lately as I caught covid and had to self-isolate in my evil lair for a few days. I'm mostly recovered now and made this cool and functional yet impractical warship. It uses overclocked KAL fireworks and has a functioning turret!

Af3cAuZ.png

yxhNApK.png

6o5u9aF.png

Edited by Lyra
Fixed dead image links

While launching the Eclipse probe to Vera (again)I warped to an eclipse and accidentally achieved double eclipse on Revan with 2 separate moons from KSC almost back to back:

bHxN8tOIQ2Lm.png?o=1

The left one is the inner moon and the right one is the outer moon (also larger). The moons are all inclined, making the eclipse even rarer.

t68umQegIEYV.png?o=1

If you look closely at the sun in the image, it looks like there are two. They are actually the same sun, being eclipsed on BOTH sides by EACH MOON!

:o 

On 11/2/2023 at 2:02 PM, Hotel26 said:

I've had an inkling for some time that this was about to occur.  An island has been thrust up suddenly from the seabed...  Volcanic action?  Kraken activity...?

[click + arrow => slideshow]

i989NPL.jpg    ftESnQd.jpg    fP8jGmn.jpg

I call it Kobe Island.  It is located at 0N 70W about 50 klicks downrange from the Kerbal Space Command.

The island is only 1 m ASL but it's still going to need a boat ramp to allow aquatic traffic in and out.  Probably a high-speed ferry in its future.

It's a nice place to pack a Sunday picnic lunch and take a Gopher for a joy ride.

I think Kerbals would name it the Kracker.  (And yes, they would taste it too.)

3 hours ago, Jacke said:

I think Kerbals...

You know...  about a day after I built the airport on this strange little island...  I had a Simplicity booster return for ASR recovery, that thundered overhead  just a couple thousand meters above...

Who knew building real estate downrange from KSC was not a good idea!  I would have posted screenshots, but it was a night-time return.

Anyway, I named it Kobe Island because the Kobe airport in Japan is built offshore on an artificial island.  Which I think is totally cool -- because 'aerospace'.  :)

Edited by Hotel26

Had a pretty crazy day today - A lot of things happened including:

The launch of Eve-1 on board a Delta-IV Heavy with 2 extra Ariane 5 boosters, just for fun.

qv2zwOU.png

Engine Ignition (Only the Side boosters lighted, main core after booster sep)

84xA53L.jpg

sLbgU15.jpg

NQq02wd.jpg

Separation of the Ariane boosters. We also get a reverse sunset for a few minutes.

JN9KNuX.png

A short while later, the side boosters separate and the main core kicks in.

HgmGYDR.png

The rather concerning upper stage (An Atlas tank and J-2 engine) ignites, first for orbit then on the transfer burn.

mzX6VKG.png

gGlkZ2y.jpg

****************************************************** 

Duna-2 Arrives at Duna. Duna-1 will arrive in 78 days (The designations were allocated in terms of launch date. Duna-1 was launched 2 days before Duna-2. However, Duna-1 encounters Duna after it has reached apoapsis, on the way 'down'. Duna-2 encountered on the way 'up', thus the encounter was much earlier)

0rVfMu7.png

After orbital insertion, the lander separates and de-orbits. The mothership remains in orbit and acts as a relay before continuing its mission with around 2800m/s, exploring Ike and the Duna system.

2ml5XRu.png

The lander separates from the heatshield and aeroshell, and deploys two parachutes. It drifts down slowly towards the desert wastelands of Duna.

LktFkBD.jpg

The landing itself was rough at best. Kopernicus had the weird pixel glitch and I was distracted. The lander touched down, I spammed Z and it shot up again. After jumping 3 times, the lander touched down for the final time, unharmed.

nsJKi7T.jpg

Going forward, we are waiting for Duna-1 to achieve orbit as well, Eve-1 to encounter Eve, and wait for other launch windows. The crew programs will again ramp up. I also started to mess about with the old configs for Ad Astra, to see if I could combine it with spectra. We will see how that develops... 

I sent the "take #2 Tellumo Orbital Mission" off

E47x5Kq.png

Everything worked this time so no need for the LES

6nqH9VQ.png

We practice recovering data and restoring experiments

uGqS82d.png

A quite time on orbit at Tellumo

yCcfKGN.png

We say good by and go home

0Htivbz.png

Explosion's!

xaNQh88.png

Complaints about G forces. (I did Peak at 8+)

J7oWS31.png

And happy landings were had

gvPJ0mb.png

9 hours ago, space_otter said:

Had a pretty crazy day today - A lot of things happened including:

The launch of Eve-1 on board a Delta-IV Heavy with 2 extra Ariane 5 boosters, just for fun.

qv2zwOU.png

Engine Ignition (Only the Side boosters lighted, main core after booster sep)

84xA53L.jpg

sLbgU15.jpg

NQq02wd.jpg

Separation of the Ariane boosters. We also get a reverse sunset for a few minutes.

JN9KNuX.png

A short while later, the side boosters separate and the main core kicks in.

HgmGYDR.png

The rather concerning upper stage (An Atlas tank and J-2 engine) ignites, first for orbit then on the transfer burn.

mzX6VKG.png

gGlkZ2y.jpg

****************************************************** 

Duna-2 Arrives at Duna. Duna-1 will arrive in 78 days (The designations were allocated in terms of launch date. Duna-1 was launched 2 days before Duna-2. However, Duna-1 encounters Duna after it has reached apoapsis, on the way 'down'. Duna-2 encountered on the way 'up', thus the encounter was much earlier)

0rVfMu7.png

After orbital insertion, the lander separates and de-orbits. The mothership remains in orbit and acts as a relay before continuing its mission with around 2800m/s, exploring Ike and the Duna system.

2ml5XRu.png

The lander separates from the heatshield and aeroshell, and deploys two parachutes. It drifts down slowly towards the desert wastelands of Duna.

LktFkBD.jpg

The landing itself was rough at best. Kopernicus had the weird pixel glitch and I was distracted. The lander touched down, I spammed Z and it shot up again. After jumping 3 times, the lander touched down for the final time, unharmed.

nsJKi7T.jpg

Going forward, we are waiting for Duna-1 to achieve orbit as well, Eve-1 to encounter Eve, and wait for other launch windows. The crew programs will again ramp up. I also started to mess about with the old configs for Ad Astra, to see if I could combine it with spectra. We will see how that develops... 

I saw the first part in my forums digest and knew I had to see this concerning contraption. I grew more concerned when I saw the upper stage. But yet, weird rockets like this are what make the game fun sometimes 

Today I finally got my crewed Mun landing mission up into orbit and transiting on my current (now 2+ year old) heavily-modded Career Game.

This has been a slow one, using both KCT and Probes Before Crew with heavily BDB-focused craft. Plus I take 6-month long breaks from KSP every now and then... Good to be back in space, though.

j4J6BoS.png

Special thanks to the excellent Kaboom! mod for saving my orbiter from having an interstage stuck to its bottom (and preventing solar panel extension) on its way to the Mun.

Edited by scottadges

Last week-ish I flew yet another JNSQ circumnavigation 7-leg trip for 8  KSRGAP contracts. 130 PAX on Pilum 200. 

K9h9MKq.jpg

Trip pics and bloopers: 

Spoiler

nHwG0XL.jpg

xqpzTX0.png

Mountains between S28A and S37A. 

443yzgb.jpg

It's about 14.2 km high... Everest is 8.8 km.

xTCtzVr.jpg

Landing at S72A... got a bit lost in the dark...

Where's the runway?

PMZA1OU.jpg

Below the hill now, still don't see it!

ZlliQ06.jpg

There's nothing but taxiways... I have under 5% fuel left. This plane is not built for turning.

Qnx8LGo.jpg

Gotta climb again... Oh there's the airport. Where the heck was I? 

bmdHanW.jpg

WHI1Sev.jpg

kUoiF9T.jpg

0tZOSeA.jpg

Under 2% fuel left... almost didn't get to see this sunrise!

dtS6b8a.jpg

Refueled, heading North. Note the HARBOR I tried to land at to the right. That's the hill I was below. 

2kuRLUh.jpg

Came in too high at S24A

Hb1zOtu.jpg

Hold on to your ginger ale folks...

vLMO9iL.jpg

This thing weighs over 250 tons... 

IiufevQ.jpg

AN912ro.jpg

OSJL4U5.jpg

No worries... only needed 1/2 runway. 

XHtOYAL.jpg

Also played with EVE auroras. More coming on JNSQ thread.

Edited by Krazy1

37 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

Woah, does the real Falcon Heavy do that?

Yeah, it does something very similar.  You can see it from the interstage cam after stage separation on most if not all of the FH launch streams.

37 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

Also, where'd you get that FPS counter?

It's just the Steam FPS counter.