What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I sent away the first Mun space station of this career, the Deep Space Kateway (ok don't mind me with my "K"s everywhere :sticktongue:) !

It will serve as an extensive testing facility to see how well Kerbals accept to be gelified by microgravity in the long term, and to see how shiny they become thanks to deep space radiations...

It will also be expended to offer cheap coffee and fuel outpost stop for future surface bases on the Mun !

I7csa2f.png

TMI
xKE8jih.png

Arrived, waiting for krew : )

KvG5XFR.png

I also sent a service mission to our last telescope Kubble-2. Since god knows who forgot to add an actual antenna to transmit the juicy science !
w1o3Ibr.png

Bil doing his favorite EVA things...

vfPoqOw.png

Edited by kurgut

Launched my single-launch Jool 5 mission! It's my second attempt at the challenge (the first was scrubbed due to poor planning and lack of fuel) and this time I think I'll make it. Here it is just before LKO insertion.

screenshot1042.png?width=1408&height=792

Tried to launch a massive rocket to minmus. Eventually,  it weighed in at just below seven kilotons! With a terrible framerate, the rocket climbed slowly before it disintegrated and 7kt of rocket fuel bombed the space centre!!https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16262j6KGkb_CdjCogIXcNHEZjSeBxFKt?usp=sharing In the end, I gave up on the whole project. I will probably revert to multi-launching because I do not have the patience to deal with these gargantuan behemoths.

Continued my Kerbin Orbit Rendezvous Munar program and took this hard screenshot:

Screenshot-2023-06-11-at-22-27-17.png

An Odysseus V rocket prepares to launch the Columbia 2 mission's Munar Injection Stage. In the background, a second Odysseus V carrying the mission's Athena capsule is visible.

The day finally came, I'm posting in this thread with visual mods installed... (I got a new lapop :D AN515-55)

I went to Ike for the first time.

screenshot263.png

screenshot268.png

screenshot271.png

screenshot283.png

screenshot302.png

screenshot306.png

screenshot336.png

screenshot355.png 

screenshot344.png

screenshot376.png

Little fail here, but a quick F9 helped me 

screenshot385.png

screenshot390.png

screenshot400.png

This might be my best screenshot of ALL TIME.screenshot408.png

screenshot422.png

screenshot431.png

screenshot452.png

screenshot470.png

screenshot476.png

screenshot485.png

screenshot492.png

I even made a somewhat good mission patch in GIMP!

ike-I.png

Edited by Aerodynamic Kerbal

21 minutes ago, Aerodynamic Kerbal said:

The day finally came, I'm posting in this thread with visual mods installed... (I got a new lapop :D AN515-55)

I went to Ike for the first time.

screenshot263.png

screenshot268.png

screenshot271.png

screenshot283.png

screenshot302.png

screenshot306.png

screenshot336.png

screenshot355.png 

screenshot344.png

screenshot376.png

Little fail here, but a quick F9 helped me 

screenshot385.png

screenshot390.png

screenshot400.png

This might be my best screenshot of ALL TIME.screenshot408.png

screenshot422.png

screenshot431.png

screenshot452.png

screenshot470.png

screenshot476.png

screenshot485.png

screenshot492.png

I even made a somewhat good mission patch in GIMP!

ike-I.png

Nice! Especially love the motion blur shots of the launch. Also love your agency flag, but it makes me want a smoothie.

I can't believe how much fun playing around with airships in KSP is!   I think I've built some of my craziest stuff with the parts from Hooligan Labs Airships:

screenshot52.png

screenshot51.png

screenshot94.png[/url]

screenshot150.png

screenshot94.png[/url]screenshot145.png

screenshot154.png

screenshot153.png

So yeah, doing some of the 'surface' contract missions in the early career game is nice when you have a blimp to land right out in the Kerbin wilderness!

Today some Mun operation ! 

I sent a reusable lander to the Deep Space Kateway, a cupola, and finally a spacecraft to test the Mun lander.

WNQvn8H.png

Cupola being carried by the autonomous docking probe

47L7Dl7.png

More : ) 

Spoiler

Aaand docked

vvrdqLQ.png

Bill doing his favorite activity : smashing delicate and expensive hardware with a big space-hammer. Sooo satisfying ;) 

16kJNBM.png

Station offers a habitation time of 300 days, for now it's ok, it will be expanded later !

S968lH6.png

Crew picture after the surface bits !

hmliWhU.png

I also sent a first probe, Kawn-1 (orbiter+lander) to our favorite destination : Dres ! ok I'm kidding

ZrWpFXB.png

This one still uses our old marinok design (early probes sent to Duna/Eve), adapted here for Dres

8o0DkhJ.png

Edited by kurgut

I finally made it to the Mun and back in my crazy 30X upscaled Kerbol System. In other words, in this pack I made, courtesy of the Sigma Dimensions mod, Kerbin has a radius of 18,000 km, and an escape velocity of almost 19,000 m/s. As you can probably guess, this makes things… difficult, to say the least. I explored this in another post on this thread a few days ago, in which just getting one Kerbal into orbit took a rocket of over 3,000 tons.

Here you can see a schematic of the spacecraft I used to get to the Mun and back: the SuperMun 1.

7mh7lZm.jpg

This spacecraft cannot be brought into orbit all in one launch; rather, because of the absurd requirements of getting into orbit, I had to split this mission into four: two fuel launches, one for each tank, one for the lander, and one for the command module. Originally, I wanted to only use chemical engines, but this would have required at least 6 tank launches to pull off. Given that each launch literally took over 20 minutes, it isn’t exactly hard to see why I abandoned this idea.

o0f3AEw.jpg

One of the fuel tanks launching on a 20-kiloton Goliath 1B rocket, on one of the failed attempts. Despite its immense power, it can only lift about 13 tons into LKO. Actually launching everything proved to be what took up most of my time here, as there were so many things that went wrong with the rocket.

1) failed stage separation 

2) engine being destroyed 

3) failing to reach orbit by incredibly thin margins (less than 50 m/s in one especially frustrating case)

4) me not realizing crossfeed on the docking port was still enabled and wasting a bunch of fuel

Regardless though, we still made it eventually, and began assembly of the spacecraft in orbit.

QkcVAFd.jpg

cjPQuOR.jpg

OhlAO1z.jpg

After a few transfer burns, we finally reached the Mun and entered its orbit.

8EZbJHZ.jpg

Landing was actually fairly difficult, as the delta-V required was more than that of landing on Tylo in stock KSP.

QEB9T9i.jpg

A6WJoli.jpg

ct2PEZJ.jpg

KTQFUC9.jpg

Lander stage left behind on surface

vjiLYAQ.jpg

On 6/15/2023 at 8:55 AM, Thingymajigy said:

Took a few months on and off but finally, the start of a stock Eve space centre at 15km altitude in career mode

fuUQXfC.png

Perfectly (almost) level, has a runway, hangars and mounting points for future infrastructure.

View from the surface:

rVwGbMZ.png

I’m getting Captain Scarlet vibes with the flying base.

I launched my biggest  base so far. In the end, It weighed in at 49t. The hardest part was reconfiguring the station, trying to dock to 50t behemoths together (While one was uncontrolled). In the end, the mission succeeded and landed on Minmus. I would love to have screenshots, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that-could someone please help me?

Landed on derbin (whirligig worlds) and flew a plane around the place. wonderful!

I found a continental shelf with a massive cliff

WC1p7lV.png

vBh4WqK.png

QOFIcil.png

WIr35Cg.png

to provide better viewing opportunities, I included a mk2 module facing downwards to look at the surface

iba9oAI.png

GlufAZk.png

i also included a cupola on the back of the plane. As I built this vehicle a couple months ago, I don't remember if I intentionally mounted it upside-down to get a better view of the terrain, or if it was just a mistake. I also forgot the exact sequence of dropping the thermal shields during reentry, which forced me to find it again by trial and error.

the dot in the center is the planet mesbin.

MM7xFMd.png

yykGAX9.png

6fxGSzk.png

6DhK0PS.png

mUaS6mh.png

AhlLyDI.png

eCwLhNH.png

fMzelEj.png

l0lqxpP.png

I can definitely recommend the whirligig world planetary pack, and bringing a plane to derbin. make it a fast one, though, because derbin is huge.

Update over last couple weeks...

Recovered the remaining Mun gravity scans from a probe

dX1srnO.png

Landed, refueled and then docked with the fire mushroom ship. Transferred 2600 ore, a little fuel and science to return to Kerbin. Also had some kadets for experience. 

pghHNXs.jpg

rLbROPr.jpg

Before reentry, I forgot to install the fins and extra parachutes...

Spoiler

u5dvEkJ.jpg

Max shield temp. 3134 K

VOkq2fJ.jpg

Stock orbital speed at 32.5km alt.

fusDnUH.png

zrFO2IN.png

Landed in the water quite close to KSC by luck

QIUG2Tu.png

Meanwhile LJP410 went Mun anomaly hunting:

>spoilers<

Spoiler

D13Szz5.jpg

hKKXCKP.jpg

MfMsR2H.jpg

uRgAdom.jpg

Jlt7PhG.jpg

sufPqWl.jpg

Did 2 multi-leg revenue flights with Vizor 100. This is a trimmed down Mk2 version. It has 1/2 the fuel capacity and a smaller engine but can still hold 100 pax and circle JNSQ Kerbin nonstop.

Wm255NI.jpg

More original Vizor 100 pics. 

Spoiler

deUfEsh.jpg

wgTP4sm.jpg

IFNj3q3.jpg

On 6/12/2023 at 7:16 PM, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

Lexie is flying at over Mach 2 at an altitude of 19 kilometers.

Very nice. You can circumnavigate with Panthers. That takes patience. Just a tip... when cruising supersonic the angle-of-attack is very import for fuel efficiency to keep the parasitic drag of the fuselage minimized. It looks like your pitch angle (same as AoA if the vertical speed is zero) is 2.6 deg. So you'd either need to go faster (with Whiplashes) or fly lower. I guess your best altitude for that speed is around 12-15 km. The denser air will give more lift and keep the AoA close to zero. You could try increasing your wing angle another degree or 2 but 5 deg. should be pretty good.

Finally our first manned interplanetary mission, to Duna, is go !

We first sent the crew with our SSTO. For the first time, Bill, Bob and Jeb were sitting in the passenger cabin, instead of the cockpit, this was a strange feeling for them, everyone was excited.

rxMWPLk.png

Rendez-vousing with Duna-One ship. Jeb couldn't resist saying to Valentina all the time "more to the left !",  "activate those kod damn rcs", "Caaareful !!".  You know, as when you're driving, and the person next to you can't stop commenting on your driving :D

I9FUx0j.png

pjl9p5I.png

Aaaand docked ! After warming up the space ship, the crew said their goodbyes, this was an emotional moment !

g0qOLIc.png

Then it was work, the hab module were inflated, and that was another goodbye for Robotug-1 and Bill (tribute to B. Whistance Odyssey by Bill yt serie), since it would be decomissioned by the standard procedure (kindly deorbited and burned into Kerbin atmosphere).

KFEXRqZ.png

Also Bill couldn't resist inspecting the nuclear engines, since he was fascinated by them... "that ISP.... so high... I wan't to touch them..." while mission kontrol was shouting "DO NOT APPROACH, ionizing radiations, Bill stop !". Of course Bill couldn't hear them since his EVA suit radio was set to listen classical music, as always (he wouldn't have listen to them anyway :D).

HRpEcrx.png

7xVAmgA.png

Pitcures from the crew SSTO returning back to Kerbin :

Spoiler

Jq2kWwP.png

v0jgInw.png

Mil4qYT.png

Aaand finally, first ejection burn :

8lBo913.png

and last one, with the 2 Nerv engines (yes, TWR is loooow : efficiency :) )

j4I0Jp4.png

Happy journey !

FtJYdrK.png

Edited by kurgut

Now I have screenshots of my Minmus base.

Launch. It wasn't that crazy, only a Saturn V with 4 SLS cores.

kKeFLi0.jpgHi21ej4.jpgBooster sep. Quite smooth, however even the mite boosters can't provide a clean sep.

g1ChTk3.jpg

In orbit:

ballWj0.png

TMI

jc5wXpZ.jpg

Reconfiguration. This was the hardest part taking more time than I'd care to admit, along with bumps and spinning. Note to myself-Never ever try docking with a dead ship again.

umDNa5t.jpg

Minmus Insertion and landing:

ko7IjlJ.jpg

tOBxABL.jpg

Surface ops:

BFpCImr.jpg

What did I do today?

Launched a 2 kerbal mission to Ceti.

tvuXAzB.png

Took some pictures on Ceti.

1LQxprl.png

Got stranded in orbit. The Service Module is out of comms when the maneuver is required and the lander has very little fuel. (Who picked full probe control at the campaign start anyway :rolleyes:

NkN0ycL.png

Launched a new SM on auto pilot to Ceti.

bgzSJ6I.png

Grabbing the science and transferring it to the newly arrived SM.

10WmQat.png

And happy landings!

uYt9kgX.png

Tried my hand at single-stage Tylo landers (almost all failures), then got bored and made an SSTO that gets about 2800 dV in LKO.

6eecab10646a335595aa1c60ffd2e410a36a19bb

f44124c068c41522f23cd275d083cde6726105a0

I did end up making a successful single-stage Tylo lander as well, but it has no way to generate power other than its alternator and its dV after re-orbiting is a bit tight for me to be comfortable, so it's redesign time tomorrow.

screenshot1386.png?width=1429&height=805

Also wrote the start of a terrible Python program to make fuel cell calculations a bit easier since there's no good calculator online. I might post the code for it somewhere if I ever get it finished.

Today I finished the design of my first Mun base in this career, and also my first ever base using the USI MKS mod (Kolonization mod) !

For now, this starter module will support 3 kerbals with a Hab time of 5 years, and is self sufficient on supplies (life support), but it still needs external shipment of machinery. Future expansion will focus on that, but that will require a lot modules / miners. It's realy an awesome mod, took me quite a while to get around the basics, and manage all the resources numbers out/inputs / production chain ^^
It's solar powered, and has big batteries (KSPIE megajoule capacitors to last during the 3 day Mun night). :) 

qJ29hKx.png

In landing configuration, with the skycrane :

wFidELM.png

And it even fits in a 5m fairing ! For that I added docking ports to the base and the skycrane, and those will be reconfigured in LKO (like an Apollo style if you'd want).

It will be launched on my heavy reusable launcher : )

Q4yZULe.png

Edited by kurgut

I made a new forum thread on my curent career (KSPIE - MKS), so I can have all things in one place, and also give a sense of history and progression ! My save is started for some time already, so now it's mostly getting up with all the backlog !

qf6kcwz.png

I also had some fun making some Kerbal Space Gazette pages, to illustrate it ! Could be better, I threw that as quickly as I could, I'll improve it over time :) 
OllMYhu.png
I like imagining kerbals really writing this kind of stuff about space exploration :D

Cheers
(btw it's the 2500th page of this thread, let's go to 5000 now, and never stop ! I enjoy so much seing what other people do in their KSP day :) )

Edited by kurgut