[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

12 hours ago, Cuky said:

I'll check a bit more at my side, but I had them explode at decoupling on launch pad, in atmosphere and in orbit. Since I made a craft from scratch maybe I have accidentally clipped something through them and that is the reason. I'll check again and come with reply if I discover something.

Just as a note: I had them explode on launch pad, in atmosphere, out of atmosphere with engine still firing and out of atmosphere with no thrust from the rocket below.

I assume you're using the latest (v3.1.1) release in KSP 1.1, complete with the AnimatedDecouplers prerelease from Dropbox?

7 minutes ago, Carrot said:

Just asking. Can the Real chute not listed as dependency if the things works without the mod? I am really not a fan of that mod. May be put it as recommended in ckan? Is it possible please?

RealChute will always be considered a dependency. This is because it supports the drogue-mains parachute behaviour desired for SDHI SMS - the drogue slows the pod down to a safe speed before automatically deploying the main chutes, as to lessen the physical stresses of deceleration on the pod and its Kerbal occupants.

The stock parachute fallback patch was designed only to help users tide over between RealChute updates, and should not be used for regular gameplay.

Why are you not a fan of the mod? If you have difficulty installing/using it, you should seek help directly from @stupid_chris rather than complaining here.

57 minutes ago, tg626 said:

@sumghai. I was really flattered when you supported the previous version of my docking target.  The new one adds a right click option to view a docking cam. Would you like me to sort out the needed changes?  

A temporary patch included in your add-on would suffice in the short term. Much appreciated! :)

In the run long, I'll add native support for the docking cam to SDHI SMS in a future update - but not right now.

9 hours ago, sumghai said:

I assume you're using the latest (v3.1.1) release in KSP 1.1, complete with the AnimatedDecouplers prerelease from Dropbox?

Correct. Though I had some bugs with GUI too for which I couldn't find a cause so I have reinstalled KSP and am now installing mods one by one to see which was the cause. Maybe there was something wrong altogether and that is why I got those problems with side panels

8 hours ago, sumghai said:

A temporary patch included in your add-on would suffice in the short term. Much appreciated! :)

In the run long, I'll add native support for the docking cam to SDHI SMS in a future update - but not right now.

You and users of SDHI SMS can find it here-> https://github.com/TedThompson/Kerbal-Optical-Alignment-System/tree/master/Patches_for_other_MODs

Download this patch, install like any other mod.  

BE SURE TO REMOVE THE MOD FOLDER "FederalProductions" IF IT EXISTS

Many thanks, @tg626 and @sumghai for so swiftly and cordially coming to a mutual agreement. As a longtime fan your mods, it greatly delights me to see you willing to work together on friendly terms, especially after having seen drama from certain other modders who will be left unnamed here.

10 minutes ago, Mokmo said:

So not having the animated decouplers, would it be why i don't have decoupler options anywhere in the VAB ? 

Correct.

Please note that, as stated in the OP, AnimatedDecouplers is a dependency - i.e. it is required. I'm not sure how you've managed to install just SDHI SMS without the dependencies.

11 hours ago, sumghai said:

Correct.

Please note that, as stated in the OP, AnimatedDecouplers is a dependency - i.e. it is required. I'm not sure how you've managed to install just SDHI SMS without the dependencies.

Parts were all there, only missing some modules... 

On 29/04/2016 at 3:31 AM, Mokmo said:

Parts were all there, only missing some modules... 

The modules are missing because you didn't install the dependencies. Please do so now.

I understand that other modders may bundle dependencies with their mods, but I don't do this because bundled dependencies may overwrite newer versions of said depedencies by their original authors. Besides, it's a good habit to learn to update your mods manually.

-----------

By the way, folks, just a heads-up that SDHI SMS works just fine on KSP 1.1.2 - just make sure that you update all the dependencies from their respective threads.

1 hour ago, sumghai said:

Besides, it's a good habit to learn to update your mods manually. 

Did get the dependency when i saw your answer, all works fine :D 

• 3 weeks later...

I just would like to confirm that the “flotation collar” that is shown on Page 61 is NOT release yet.

Sumghai: If I may add that I will not play KSP without the Service Module System Mod installed.

@Turk_WLF, the flotation collar is powered by an experimental plugin that @Starwaster developed for testing purposes only, hence why it is not currently available officially.

If you still want to use it, download the following zip file and extract the SplashdownHandler folder into GameData:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmd9uqoq5j7akg9/SDHI-patch-1.1.zip?dl=1

@gamerscircle, you posted in my (old and outdated) development topic, so I've moved it to the release thread here.

As for your question, how high up are you deploying the drogues? You might be deploying at too high a speed, causing the port to be ripped from the pod.

5 hours ago, sumghai said:

@gamerscircle, you posted in my (old and outdated) development topic, so I've moved it to the release thread here.

As for your question, how high up are you deploying the drogues? You might be deploying at too high a speed, causing the port to be ripped from the pod.

Sorry about posting in the old thread, I suppose I didn't search hard enough.  As for the height, are the limits outlined somewhere?  The chute icon was white both times this happened and that is when I staged it.  Thanks for the reply.

@gamerscircle, the maximum deployment altitude for the drogue is 12.5km, but if the staging icon for the chute is white, it sounds like it should be safe to deploy (speed and altitude-wise).

Could you please post a screenshot of your craft before and after drogue parachute deployment, as well as the log displayed when you press the F3 key?

1 hour ago, gamerscircle said:

Sorry about posting in the old thread, I suppose I didn't search hard enough.  As for the height, are the limits outlined somewhere?  The chute icon was white both times this happened and that is when I staged it.  Thanks for the reply.

Chute icon / safe status has no bearing on the part itself. If it detaches from the pod then the chute exerted enough force when it opened to yank the chute part off. The chute safe status only means (when unsafe or risky) that the parachute that comes out might vanish but the part itself would stay attached.

One thing that can affect part attachment stability is physical time warping. You should not do that when the chute is in the middle of deploying because physics is not as stable during that period and forces can be magnified or other math errors can occur causing weird issues like too little drag, too much heating, resource consumption rate inaccuracies, etc etc et al, lorem ipsum, dolor sit amet 

How high do you have to be for the SM shrouds to decouple properly? At least 70km? I decoupled them at ~30 km and they exploded.

Also, the inflation collars do not inflate when the capsule has splashed down even though I installed the plugin.

1 hour ago, Delta_8930 said:

How high do you have to be for the SM shrouds to decouple properly? At least 70km? I decoupled them at ~30 km and they exploded.

I always decouple the side fairings after clearing the atmosphere, so yes, above 70km.

You're not the first person to try jettison them while in atmosphere, but I cannot understand why people keep doing this.

1 hour ago, Delta_8930 said:

Also, the inflation collars do not inflate when the capsule has splashed down even though I installed the plugin.

I'll investigate this weekend.

15 minutes ago, sumghai said:

You're not the first person to try jettison them while in atmosphere, but I cannot understand why people keep doing this

Thanks for the quick response. I always decouple my fairings after I clear the dense lower atmosphere, around 30-50 km. Usually this works fine, but I'll try decoupling once I clear 70km and see what happens.

18 hours ago, sumghai said:

You're not the first person to try jettison them while in atmosphere, but I cannot understand why people keep doing this.

Well as one of the people who tends to do that perhaps I can shed some light on the why :)  I use stage recovery, so I prefer to stage any boosters while my periapsis is still ever so slightly negative, as that ensures that the spent stages will return to Kerbin and be recovered as opposed to becoming space debris. I tend to use shallower, almost single burn to orbit launch trajectories, so for me an ideal ascent involves using just a small bit of the orbit stage to finish the initial launch burn (typically 50m/s or so). Basically this lets me maximize deltaV from the booster, while still dropping it with a negative pe. In order to do this, I need to separate the capsule while still atmospheric, typically 50-55km. I could launch in such a way that I clear the atmosphere before separation, but that would leave me slower at ap, and require more fuel from the orbit stage to circularize. I have been meaning to play around with tweaking the decoupler parameters on the fairings to see if I can make them separate more cleanly but haven't had a chance yet.

As a sidenote, I think most real rockets actually ditch any payload fairings somewhat early in the launch phase (around stage 1 sep IIRC). Speaking purely theoretically there has to be some crossover point where the weight penalty of lugging a giant fairing around actually outweighs the drag penalty of leaving your payload hanging out in the breeze. I have no idea how to calculate what the point would be exactly, but I suspect it probably varies from one rocket to the next.

7 minutes ago, Chris97b said:

As a sidenote, I think most real rockets actually ditch any payload fairings somewhat early in the launch phase (around stage 1 sep IIRC). Speaking purely theoretically there has to be some crossover point where the weight penalty of lugging a giant fairing around actually outweighs the drag penalty of leaving your payload hanging out in the breeze. I have no idea how to calculate what the point would be exactly, but I suspect it probably varies from one rocket to the next.

I think the larger limiting factor (this is a guess) is that expensive, fragile payloads don't like being exposed to 2-3 km/s wind! :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.