Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

57 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Relevance matters, right? I mean, I do still kind of like it when someone new finds Duna, Ore Bust! for the first time and leaves a nice comment...

That's actually a very good example. I mean, imagine if someone started up a new thread just to say they liked a mission report. That would end up getting merged with the mission report anyway

13 hours ago, munlander1 said:

What's the worst thing you guys have witnessed before or after becoming a mod on the forums?

If it is not fourm appropriate, then the top thing that is.

One time someone got upset about something and flooded the forum with a disgusting shock image, that's the worst I can remember. Please don't ask what the image was.

Some of the PMs we receive from people who have been moderated are rather spicy too, but I usually find that amusing.

15 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Some of the PMs we receive from people who have been moderated are rather spicy too, but I usually find that amusing.

[edited by adsii1970 for relevant content I wish to comment on]

I will admit, with my last infraction, I thought about sending a blistering PM to the moderator that hit me with the warning. But then I figured, if I were to do that, I'd probably get another infraction since moderator abuse is also a violation of the forum rules.  So, in order to stay on the forum and not be sent to the proverbial forum confinement zone, I decided not to risk it.

For those of you out there who think the moderation team is unfair in their decisions, I will be the first to tell you they do apply warnings and violation penalties fairly compared to other forums I have been on. If you disagree with their assessment of your comment, then *calmly* discuss it with them. I've done that with several moderators who've given me infractions/warnings such as @DuoDex, @Vanamonde, @Red Iron Crown, @Frybert, and @B787_300. At the end of the day, as the old saying goes, not only did we come to an understanding of the forum rules but I gained a few new cyber friends along the way (sorry, @monstah, you've not given me an infraction or warning yet... guess my forum behavior has improved since then! :P).

49 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I will admit, with my last infraction, I thought about sending a blistering PM to the moderator that hit me with the warning. But then I figured, if I were to do that, I'd probably get another infraction since moderator abuse is also a violation of the forum rules.  So, in order to stay on the forum and not be sent to the proverbial forum confinement zone, I decided not to risk it.

For those of you out there who think the moderation team is unfair in their decisions, I will be the first to tell you they do apply warnings and violation penalties fairly compared to other forums I have been on. If you disagree with their assessment of your comment, then *calmly* discuss it with them. I've done that with several moderators who've given me infractions/warnings such as @DuoDex, @Vanamonde, @Red Iron Crown, @Frybert, and @B787_300. At the end of the day, as the old saying goes, not only did we come to an understanding of the forum rules but I gained a few new cyber friends along the way (sorry, @monstah, you've not given me an infraction or warning yet... guess my forum behavior has improved since then! :P).

People can get angry, but we generally try to calm the situation in private, that's not an invitation for abuse though (unless maybe if you're genuinely funny).

26 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Would it help if I reported @adsii1970's post for discussing a moderation action? Or is this like not being able to tickle yourself?

The moderation team is already responding to the issue :wink:

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

Would it help if I reported @adsii1970's post for discussing a moderation action? Or is this like not being able to tickle yourself?

You'll laugh, but I have no problems with the moderation team verifying this - providing that it does not cause them to get an infraction or violate some unspoken moderator rule. I have self-reported posts (yes, I have "told" on myself) that I wasn't sure if I made a comment that crossed the sometimes hazy forum boundary. Since I am the object of my own post in the case of this post, I don't think I've violated any forum rules...  :blush: Why self-report? Normally, what I have said in those cases needed to be said but the way it comes out across the reader may not be the way I intended it to be...

If I did violate some part of the forum rules.. moderation team, allow @monstah to have a crack at me... :D

Edited by adsii1970

there also one thing to keep in mind nowdays regarding necro, and forum dynamics, (seel also whole internet backbones dynamics and amount of information) post get sunk and eventually reappear, it's like baby en elder somehow, sometime it's better to let the thing sink into the forum all by themselve, they may reappear and get bump at some point or not, but this is like teaching slowly thing to a baby (hoping we're teaching the baby the right thing and not error from the past we not assimilated ownself, mostly about that)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
"ancient amator historian" sum it up pretty well ^^ in that regard ^^ & srry typo & edit

On the nerco-posting thing, that's an interesting import from other forums because here on the KSP forums because I don't see how it should be an issue here.

Due to the nature of the forum, threads are about something game-related usually. A specific issue, problem, question, etc. You do need to be careful about old KSP versions, but in general if someone is posting in the thread it is relevant regardless of the age of the thread.

Yet it still gets imported from other forums where necro-posting is a big deal because a lot of those other forums deal with things where the poster, not the thread topic, is why people read it. So a thread has no activity for 6 months, then someone necro-posts and all the activity alerts go off and all the users rush to the thread only to find it's a necro-post and not by the thread starter and get angry. Cue flames and unplesentness all around.

It causes enough bad feelings that users then import that expectation to other forums, that "necro-posting is bad, don't do it!" where in fact it really isn't a big deal.

Another forum I'm active on, it's gotten bad enough that if you post in a thread that has had no activity for 14 days you are 99% likely to get banned for a day, skipping just getting a warning/infraction entirely. (No names, this is pushing up against Affairs of Other Boards. True, not a rule on these forums but I consider it polite.)

D.

edit: liquided off gets censored? Huh. That's very, very mild by the standards of where I live. Is there a list or other place I can check this or do I just have to post and find out when I trip the censor?

Edited by Diazo

1 hour ago, Diazo said:

[...]

edit: liquided off gets censored? Huh. That's very, very mild by the standards of where I live. Is there a list or other place I can check this or do I just have to post and find out when I trip the censor?

I don't know anything more than what I've seen censored, but I'd say a good rule of thumb is if you wouldn't hear it in a G-rated movie, it will be censored.

15 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

What questions do you find yourself answering the most here? Can you send them to me via PM so I can put them in the OP?

Maybe it's best I write here so you don't get spammed by the same PM from every moderator :)

Most commen question that seems to pop up is: How do you become a moderator?

Can't think of anything right now, but it's a good start :)

6 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Maybe it's best I write here so you don't get spammed by the same PM from every moderator :)

Most commen question that seems to pop up is: How do you become a moderator?

Can't think of anything right now, but it's a good start :)

Might help to make a thread(maybe one in the mystical mod forums). Then have all the mods submit there's then pm@Dman979 . Only one person would pm though.

Edited by munlander1

5 hours ago, munlander1 said:

Would it be ok to post a post with another language included but translated to English also?

Probably. The idea of that rule is to avoid sub-clique's talking past each other in an exclusionary way, so the goal of the rule is to have post be readable to everybody. Also, so the majority of us moderators do not have to resort to google translate to see if you're cussing or something. 

18 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Probably. The idea of that rule is to avoid sub-clique's talking past each other in an exclusionary way, so the goal of the rule is to have post be readable to everybody. Also, so the majority of us moderators do not have to resort to google translate to see if you're cussing or something. 

How do you guys deal with cultural differences?

I mean, being an international forum, people from different cultures gather here, so it's expected that some cultural 'clashes' will happen at some point. Things that someone thinks it's ok, and it's totally accepted in their culture, but the other finds it very offensive. Even in the mod team I imagine this might happen. Even in how people speak, for exemple, here (where I live) people tent to avoid "negative things" (don't know how to express that) so they would often use some form of euphemism to get around. But that are a lot cultures that say things more directly, and would be considered rude here. This may start a disccusion where neither sides are actually wrong, they just express themselfs differently.

Other thing is the language barrier, someone might not be fluent in English or with enough knowledge of it to express itself properly. Notice that I'm not talking about grammar here, but expressing ones thoughts. The sentence might be grammatically correct, but express something different from what the writter had in mind, thus creating a confusion.

43 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

How do you guys deal with cultural differences?

I mean, being an international forum, people from different cultures gather here, so it's expected that some cultural 'clashes' will happen at some point. Things that someone thinks it's ok, and it's totally accepted in their culture, but the other finds it very offensive. Even in the mod team I imagine this might happen. Even in how people speak, for exemple, here (where I live) people tent to avoid "negative things" (don't know how to express that) so they would often use some form of euphemism to get around. But that are a lot cultures that say things more directly, and would be considered rude here. This may start a disccusion where neither sides are actually wrong, they just express themselfs differently.

Other thing is the language barrier, someone might not be fluent in English or with enough knowledge of it to express itself properly. Notice that I'm not talking about grammar here, but expressing ones thoughts. The sentence might be grammatically correct, but express something different from what the writter had in mind, thus creating a confusion.

Good points VaPaL. That's one good reason why we have moderators from different cultures too, so we discuss things together and come to understand better what a poster may mean in his own culture. Because all public messages  on the forum are visible to everybody, there is always the possibility an innocent thing (from the poster viewpoint) could be regarded as offensive in another culture. Basic mutual respect always helps, and that's a reason for the forum rules we have and how we act. We always try to make so offensive content is removed from public view, though not always easy. We may still be unaware of particular nuances (e.g., something could not raise concern to any of us but still have an undesirable meaning to others) so we find reports from users useful in this regard too.