Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

Doesn't seem right to leave a cliffhanger for too long, especially since I already posted a picture of them getting back. So...

6yXgbiv.png

zuMMrg2.png

PseC2jl.png

18cwybO.png

MeDlCI6.png

ruilYLn.png

kCko7N9.png

Looks like two thousand dV to eject from Tylo, intercept Vall, and get an orbit. The ship (allegedly) has about 4000 in the tanks, and there's also 30 tons of ore still aboard as a reserve. So, feeling pretty good about this though I might try to top off the ship's tanks using Qwammer if it's not too grindy. Not sure at this point whether to have an Interlude next or go straight into chapter 14. 

Edited by Kuzzter

Wonderful update, Kuzzter!  Thanks!

The funniest bit was surely "*sigh* Now I know how the Admiral must feel!"  :)

And almost every thing that came out of Bill's mouth was aimed squarely at the gaping holes in the alleged 'fourth wall' if such a thing still exists. :D

Happy landings!

Edited by Starhawk

... would like to double like... thank you for my friday night fix with your story :D good evening!
Sarge Jeb is definetly nuts, confirmed: "Biome hopping on Tylo?" - " No problem, Ma`am." - "..."

Edited by Mikki
Omg jeb not sarge!

5 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Good job! Even though I actually can't see what happened for some reason. I just see stuff like "6yXgbiv.png" 

Euq oerc... excuse me, I think that what might be happening is your local internet is blocking Imgur. That's the filename of the embedded picture. It happens to me sometimes with some other image hosting sites when I look at the forum on my work internet. 

Edited by Kuzzter

51 minutes ago, Wildcat111 said:

@Kuzzter what does "call the ball" mean again?

It's a naval aviation term used when a plane is approaching for a landing on a carrier, the aviator is asked to "call the ball" when he can see the optical landing system, which shows a orange "ball" when on the right approach.

4 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

It's a naval aviation term used when a plane is approaching for a landing on a carrier, the aviator is asked to "call the ball" when he can see the optical landing system, which shows a orange "ball" when on the right approach.

Oh. @Kuzzter I really liked the part when they were talking about food! Keep up the good work!

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Correct, of course. I've seen CV-11 Intrepid's ball at the museum in New York, it's a light that shines into a concave mirror such that if the approaching plane isn't aligned properly the light i.e. the ball won't be visible. Next time you land on CV-6, look for it to the left of the flight deck: and I must say I'm surprised you've survived flying Wildcats so long without knowing all about "the ball" :)

For Kerbfleet space carrier ops, calling the ball means that the approaching ship can see and has targeted the correct docking port. Per naval tradition the pilot also gives his ship's incoming mass, though I think the magnetic docking clamps are less sensitive to that than are a naval carrier's arresting wires. :) 

ETA: Whoops! Optical landing systems are post-WWII so of course a Wildcat pilot wouldn't necessarily have used one. My bad!

Edited by Kuzzter

13 hours ago, max_creative said:

I just see stuff like "6yXgbiv.png"

13 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

I think that what might be happening is your local internet is blocking Imgur.

You might also get problems if you're on really slow internet, the internet of my school has that sometimes when all 750 people are trying to use it  (It's meant for <400)

5 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

I had a thought today. Wernher seems to have always been nicer than Kerbulans, even when he lived on Kerbulus. He also has only a moustache. Is Wernher half-Kerbulan/half-Kerbal?

Now that would be an interesting twist...  :)

4 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

I had a thought today. Wernher seems to have always been nicer than Kerbulans, even when he lived on Kerbulus. He also has only a moustache. Is Wernher half-Kerbulan/half-Kerbal?

I think Kerbulans aren't inherently terrible, it's just that the ruling class (and anyone else who's risen high enough to matter) has become or was born as such. There's probably a certain amount of indoctrination not present on Kerbin. Kerbals of similar temperment may just be less inclined to rescue one another, and are thus ostracized and fail to reach rank of any import. It's an example of a self-stabilising system (or two).

45 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

Canonically (see the Zweischenspiel), Wernher had a full beard until all but his mustache was blown off in a freak strudel- making accident. @0111narwhalz is correct, there are nice kerbs on Kerbulus but they're typically not the sort that survive long under Imperial rule.