SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

8 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Well they weren't "always full" this time, were they?

Elon said the problem was pressurization, not gas-gulping.

Here's a new leg design that I think I really like.

1999101.jpg

It's the only way I can think of to get the clearance that the Raptors need, maximize the extension of the legs, and avoid any heat shield seams.

1. At leg deployment, the leg slides down, guided by a "shoe" that wraps around it. The pneumatic pistons on the outside deploy.
  2. Once the leg has reached maximum extension, it is locked in place and the "shoe" rotates outward until the leg contacts the pneumatic pistons.
  3. As the tip of the leg touches the ground, it applies upward pressure to the pneumatic pistons, causing them to compress. If the ground is uneven, the pressure setting in each piston can be adjusted to self-level.
  4. The "heel" contacts the ground to bear the static load at the same time as the pneumatic pistons absorb all dynamic load and reach minimum stroke.

This way you avoid having both a sliding and rotating member. The only challenge is figuring out how to actuate the sliding action within the rotating shoe.

@sevenperforce I might be a little out of touch here, but why does Starship need to widen its stance? It's 9 m in diameter. It feels like it should be difficult for it to topple over, especially if auto-levelling is built in anyway. So my question is, why not just...

eMxRTur.jpg

Or why not have landing legs slightly lower down than depicted here and forego the need to extend them at all? "The best part is no part"

Not sevenperforce, but here's my answer:

Basically, the aspect ratio is large.  It doesn't matter how wide the base is if the height scales with it.  Imagine the Eiffel Tower without its four legs.  I'm pretty sure it would fall over quickly, as it's next to a riverbed and is already tilting.  The same goes for Starship.  The aspect ratio is still high, so it has a lower angle tolerance.

EDIT: This is too vague.  I'm setting up an image now.

Edited by Entropian

4 minutes ago, Deddly said:

@sevenperforce I might be a little out of touch here, but why does Starship need to widen its stance? It's 9 m in diameter. It feels like it should be difficult for it to topple over, especially if auto-levelling is built in anyway. So my question is, why not just...

eMxRTur.jpg

This is a good point. A wider stance certainly gives a better margin of error on horizontal movement that would cause tipping.  It would be interesting to know how high the center of mass is at landing.

That said, they seem to have mastered cancelling their horizontal velocity (as long as they can also cancel their vertical velocity). If they cannot cancel their vertical velocity then nothing else matters! 

3 minutes ago, Entropian said:

Ok, basically this:

Starship.PNG?dl=1

With the red vector as the gravitational force and the yellow dot for the CoM(my photoshop is terrible)

Yep. But do we expect the CoM to really be that high? What is the expected dry mass and payload these days?

No way should it be that high.  I was exaggerating it so that the effect would be more obvious.

Just now, Deddly said:

Well that does make sense, of course, but with self-levelling feet I don't see the problem

Problem is, the self-levelling feet have an angle limit.  If there's too much horizontal velocity or it's tilted too far, the feet won't have enough freedom to guide it back upright.

Just now, Deddly said:

Well that does make sense, of course, but with self-levelling feet I don't see the problem

Elon has said they need a wider stance, so evidently he thinks there's a problem.

Remember that Elon wants to put people on Starship. So it needs to be able to have every advantage for contingency landings. It needs to be able to land on one engine, on two engines, at an angle, in the wind, on uneven surfaces...everything. So the ability to have a wide, shock-absorbing stance is critical.

1 hour ago, Nightside said:

Yep. But do we expect the CoM to really be that high? What is the expected dry mass and payload these days?

Keep in mind, though, that regardless of the use case on earth, the eventual goal is to land these on Mars, then refuel and return.  Depending on the mass of the payload up front, filling the fuel tanks may shift the CoM towards the nose (or toward the rear!).

Speaking of which, was there a mass simulator in the nose of SN-8, or was it just a hollow shell?

31 minutes ago, cubinator said:

We all know what happens when you fly a fuel tank that was dropped...

As I recall, it wasn't a dropped tank, it was a change in the voltage spec for some instrument or tank heater.

30 minutes ago, cubinator said:

We all know what happens when you fly a fuel tank that was dropped...

13 Things That Saved Apollo 13, Part 8: The Command Module Wasn't Severed -  Universe Today

My personal theory is that the downcomer is actually just a really big stirring stick for the LOX tank, driven by the turbopumps. Low header tank pressure in SN8 wasn’t actually the problem. They intended to make a 2-1 landing burn, and did so, but failed to take into account that the stirrer would move a lot slower, causing a massive explosion between the LOX main tank and the CH4 header just as it hit the ground. (It was traveling at just the right speed. It looked very fast because of the camera angle, field of view, daylight savings, difference between the speed of light and sound, suboptimal video compression, axial tilt of the sun, Jupiter in Pisces, gravitational influence of Alpha Centauri A, weird perspective, and the Brazilian Senate) The green stuff was just a crapload of TEA-TEB Elon injected to mess with us. (/s of course)

1 hour ago, zolotiyeruki said:

Keep in mind, though, that regardless of the use case on earth, the eventual goal is to land these on Mars, then refuel and return.  Depending on the mass of the payload up front, filling the fuel tanks may shift the CoM towards the nose (or toward the rear!).

Speaking of which, was there a mass simulator in the nose of SN-8, or was it just a hollow shell?

As I recall, it wasn't a dropped tank, it was a change in the voltage spec for some instrument or tank heater.

Do we know how much that mass simulator weighs?

1 hour ago, zolotiyeruki said:

No mass simulator in SN8. The mass sims for SN5 and SN6 were intended to substitute for the COM moment of the fairing and LOX header. They were not simulating a payload.

In other news, here's one additional possible render. It has an "ankle", a "heel", a "toe", a "sole", and a "shin".

1999251.jpg 

The ankle rotates the shoe, the toe slides through the shoe, the ankle locks against the shin, and the sole makes contact, distributing force between the heel and the toe. The load path goes from the toe to the shin and from the heel to the ankle.

The flight of Starship SN8 inspired me to make a 3D-printed 1/100 scale Starship. So far I have the airframe printed (and currently held together with tape), and I haven't built the internals yet (other than the centering rings) that will allow it to fly. It will need a considerable amount of nose weight and the addition of at least one clear acrylic fin to make it stable. I put it on my shelf of mostly 1/100 scale models for comparison. The Starship is 90 mm in diameter (3.54 inches), while the 1/100 scale Saturn V behind it is 100 mm in diameter.

100shelf.jpg

59 minutes ago, bearnard1244 said:

As probably all of you guys have seen the launch of the new rocket by Space X Starship. Was the result of that launch successful. I knot, that the landing part was not the aim of the mission but still, it spoilt a bit the whole picture of the test.

95% of the test objectives were completed, so the flight was a success. It wasn't really expected to get as far as it did (the landing was really a nice to have), so hopefully with the next prototype they can stick the landing.