Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

And Finally @Box of Stardust's PEGASys with the Leaderboard top dog, the  @dundun93's TFD

Spoiler

@Box of Stardust's tuning has paid off, and PEGASys tops the leaderboard

Current leaderboard as of this post:

1 PEGASys-D3
2 TFD mod A
3 Rabid Squirrel
4 Vampire Squirrel (next match)
5 Viper-ASP MkIIc
'temporary' 6 Gunbrick

Either Rabid Squirrel or Vampire Squirrel would be eliminated if it loses the next match.

13 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

Alright guys, since @exbyde seems a bit busy right now and I've got some time off from classes, I'll help him out by working through the queue, pitting planes up against @dundun92's Du-3 currently in 5th place, and once something gets through the Du-3, will go up against my Viper ASP MkIIc in #4. And if they beat the Viper, they will sit at #4 with a 'to be continued' status until exbyde can continue testing of the PEGASys-D3 until that settles into a spot. And, naturally, if there's still planes to be tested and I still have time, will be continuing to go through the queue until the #5 spot is taken from the Viper and also receives a 'to be continued' status.

Current leaderboard as a quick visualization:

1 TFD mod A
2 Rabid Squirrel
3 PEGASys-D3 (to be continued)
4 Viper ASP MkIIc
5 Du-3

The Unlimited queue, as of right now, is this:

1. @l0kki Cake
  2. @Wolf5698 Jaguar
  3. @prgmTrouble  X-14 Præparet Proelium
  4. @goduranus Vampire Squirrel
  5. @OvoFox11 DC-3a was submitted, but retracted
  6. @dundun92 Du-5R
  7. @Mukita12 F-16
  8. @Box of Stardust Gunbrick (replaced Basilisk-D5 in queue)
  9. @prgmTrouble X-15 Exoneratis Hirundo
  10. @Earthlinger Berzerker 2.1
  11. @ZLM-Master VG-D3.4-PG
  12. @53miner53 P-5 Flash
  13. @Wolf5698 Lynx
  14. @Wolf5698 Cheetah
  15. @ZLM-Master Rafale
  16. @GillyMonster Dart II
  17. @dundun93 TFD 2.1
  18. @Box of Stardust Basilisk -C3
  19. @Box of Stardust CShRAID

Wew! Now that's a queue.

Battles are being recorded as of this post.

And of course, if exbyde or anyone has problems with anything I do in recording... I guess just call it unofficial?

wait, where's my F-22N? 

@Mukita12 according to rules on the first page, the builder is responsible for all modifications to the craft, you have to do the tuning yourself. Besides, AI settings is a very important part of the plane, if its AI is not tuned it's gonna get pwned anyways.

Vampire Squirrel vs Rabid Squirrel

Spoiler

I am surprised that Rabid Squirrel managed to win a round despite not having MLRS, and being heavier. 

1 PEGASys-D3
2 TFD mod A
3 Vampire Squirrel (next match)
4 Viper-ASP MkIIc
5 Gunbrick
4 minutes ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

wait, where's my F-22N? 

On 29/12/2017 at 11:12 PM, exbyde said:

RESERVED POST:

this is just for any notes/ recent changes. The current list of aircraft waiting for testing are:

1. @[INDO]dimas_1502 F-22n Sea Raptor hold for infernal robotics requirements

I noticed that in VS RS battle 1 the VS I was viewing was damaged from the start. I think that's the damage from taking off after falling over. It looks like I didn't upload the version with the fixed landing gear, and can't change it now that battles are ran. if anyone else runs it, please check that none of them fell over before starting the match. 

5 hours ago, goduranus said:

I watched some old Rabid Squirrel videos and restored it to what I believe are old settings. So here's PEGASys vs Rabid Squirrel

Reveal hidden contents

PEGASys seems superior to Rabid Squirrel, particularly in its survivability evident in the first match, where it could continue flying despite losing many of the wing pieces

I would say that last plane was flying because of losing all its wings; it'd be cork-screwing all around otherwise if it only lost one side.

Also, neat.

I spent almost every free minute I had for a whole week tuning that plane.

Edited by Box of Stardust

3 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

I would say that last plane was flying because of losing all its wings; it'd be cork-screwing all around otherwise.

That happened several times when I was trying your plane before, it kept flying as a distraction, and I think it's a good feature.

2 minutes ago, goduranus said:

That happened several times when I was trying your plane before, it kept flying as a distraction, and I think it's a good feature.

You can thank every time I saw 'Rabid Squirrel Rover' for that design feature lol. :P

After seeing the Vampire Squirrel and it's MLRS, I have to ask what the point is (aside from looking awesome like something out of A Mobile Suit series).  Can't a weapons manager be set to launch that many missiles from standard pylons?

Edited by GillyMonster

1 hour ago, GillyMonster said:

After seeing the Vampire Squirrel and it's MLRS, I have to ask what the point is (aside from looking awesome like something out of A Mobile Suit series).  Can't a weapons manager be set to launch that many missiles from standard pylons?

Nope. Weapons manager requires a lock to fire missiles, and it ripple fires it instead of a salvo. In this method, the Modular Missile locks through GPS, which is pretty much just programming it to 'fire at x range from target', and action groups just 'fire' the Sidewinders without locking.

We've basically turned into Macross without the transforming-into-mecha part. 

1 minute ago, Box of Stardust said:

Nope. Weapons manager requires a lock to fire missiles, and it ripple fires it instead of a salvo.

We've basically turned into Macross without the transforming-into-mecha part. 

Lol  so does the MLRS act like a missile itself with the missiles linked to fire when the MLRS detaches (like a custom missile)?

37 minutes ago, GillyMonster said:

Lol  so does the MLRS act like a missile itself with the missiles linked to fire when the MLRS detaches (like a custom missile)?

Yes.

I did some tinkering and it seems the culprit of missiles exploding on the launching craft is the drop timer used to stagger the AIM-9 launches. The solution might be to have multiple modular missiles controls, each with staggered ranges without drop timer, and have each MMC launching a single AIM-9. A few AIM-9s that needed to be fired from closer than the minimum range setting of the modular missile control would still need drop timer, but these could be ejected downwards to prevent collision with launching craft. Also maybe tilting up the MLRS slightly will help.

I am gonna try this.

Edit,

Hmm, the newest version of the Vampire Squirrel from a couple of days back already had MLRS tilted up slightly, could've swear I uploaded that one but nope.

Oh well, gonna send in that version as a new entry.

https://kerbalx.com/goduranus/Vampire-Squirrel-B

Edited by goduranus

33 minutes ago, goduranus said:

Yes.

I did some tinkering and it seems the culprit of missiles exploding on the launching craft is the drop timer used to stagger the AIM-9 launches. The solution might be to have multiple modular missiles controls, each with staggered ranges without drop timer, and have each MMC launching a single AIM-9. A few AIM-9s that needed to be fired from closer than the minimum range setting of the modular missile control would still need drop timer, but these could be ejected downwards to prevent collision with launching craft. Also maybe tilting up the MLRS slightly will help.

I am gonna try this.

Edit,

Hmm, the newest version of the Vampire Squirrel from a couple of days back already had MLRS tilted up slightly, could've swear I uploaded that one but nope.

Oh well, gonna send in that version as a new entry.

https://kerbalx.com/goduranus/Vampire-Squirrel-B

Meanwhile, I just mounted my MLRS on an underside hardpoint and never had to worry about Sidewinder suicides.

Still, any solution is better than launching the MLRS backwards behind the aircraft. 

I was experimenting with multi-range drops, but I don't think I'm getting the intended behavior. Maybe more testing required. 

8 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Meanwhile, I just mounted my MLRS on an underside hardpoint and never had to worry about Sidewinder suicides.

Still, any solution is better than launching the MLRS backwards behind the aircraft. 

I was experimenting with multi-range drops, but I don't think I'm getting the intended behavior. Maybe more testing required. 

I was trying to build a missile boat from Star Wars with the missiles (sidewinders and AMRAAMs) clustered in a tube rocket pod style and I ran into similar issues.  I changed each missile to no drop time, drop direction to forward and decouple speed to maximum and it seemed to solve the missile/aircraft collision issue even during high-g turns.  That might fix the suicide issue.

13 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

but I don't think I'm getting the intended behavior. Maybe more testing required. 

Did you crank up the "Missiles per Target" setting on the weapon controller? Usd missile controller bits floating around count as active missiles. If you've reached the setting limit then more missiles won't be fired.

Edited by goduranus

15 minutes ago, goduranus said:

Did you crank up the "Missiles per Target" setting on the weapon controller? Usd missile controller bits floating around count as active missiles. If you've reached the setting limit then more missiles won't be fired.

Actually

sekrit

I was testing using the RBS Cruise Missile as a routing device. Inspiration from ZLM's new, unreleased project (that I happened to come by on KerbalX).

53 minutes ago, goduranus said:

Don't bother with it, the RCS torque is puny compared to aerodynamic forces at any significant speeds.

I meant for a custom missile using monopropellant.  Like if RCS is activated prior to takeoff.

Edited by GillyMonster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.