Useful references for modding (all the old stickies)

Deddly

Below you can find a list of useful references for anyone interested in modding KSP. This replaces all the old stickied threads.

Not all of the information contained below is relevant today, so please comment in this thread to let us know which ones should be removed or which ones should have a comment next to them clarifying what parts of it are still relevant. Thanks for your help!

GUIDES

Creating custom KSPedia entries (information about fonts may be incorrect) 

KSP Font System - creating fonts for localization

Adding mods to the Application Launcher

Localization Support for KSPedia pages and static files

Engineer's Handbook - Developing mod parts based on real-world engineering principles

Editor Toolbar Modding Guide

Mod adoption tutorial

TOOLS

PartTools - import 3D models into KSP

REFERENCES

Modding tools, tutorials and guides

Community-driven documentation (Stock part cost and balance, contract modding, science&mods)

PartModule documentation

Library of mods that are/were in development

Module Manager patch database

LICENSING

License Selection Guide

Cross-compatibility guide to Creative Commons licenses

Edited by Deddly
Added mod adoption tutorial

On 1/29/2018 at 6:37 AM, Deddly said:

Creating custom KSPedia entries

I believe this is incorrect as to which fonts KSP uses, but other wise, it still works.

Also, thanks a lot for putting these here!

Edited by Mrcarrot

2 hours ago, Mrcarrot said:

I believe this is incorrect as to which fonts KSP uses, but other wise, it still works.

Thanks for the help! I updated the post to reflect that. Please let us know if you notice anything else that should be mentioned. 

• 4 years later...

Apologies if I'm missing something, but one thing I don't see in this list is an indication of how to turn a ModuleManager file into a released addon - I can zip it up with the license easy enough, but SpaceDock? CKAN? How much do I do, and how much gets done automagically?

On 3/9/2022 at 7:13 AM, damerell said:

SpaceDock? CKAN? How much do I do, and how much gets done automagically?

Include a .version file in the release, and at least a simple readme.txt - create a listing on SpaceDock (very straightforward). Click the box for 'Request addition to CKAN" and all will be done almost automagically. Release a new version on SpaceDock and CKAN is (almost) automagically updated.

@HebaruSan, @VITAS, or @DasSkelett 

From SpaceDock:

This requests addition to CKAN by triggering a pull request in the NetKAN repository to index your mod in the CKAN after you publish it.
The CKAN team will adjust the metadata to make sure the mod gets installed correctly and add potential dependencies and other relationships.
Thereupon the mod will be available for users to download and install via the CKAN client.

Edited by zer0Kerbal