Pacific Rim...?

Piatzin

The first movie had a giant robot clubbing a giant monster with a container ship. I think that's all you need to know. :) Leave your brain at the door, don't bother griping about the (lack of) plausible military tactics and just roll with the cheesy fun, bolstered by some decent performances from the cast and some suitably epic looking - and feeling - mecha. By which I mean that the movie physics weren't all over the shop - the mecha were really well animated and behaved like the giant lumbering machines that they were.

I suspect that Pacific Rim is one of those films that doesn't really need a sequel and I'm not expecting great things from Pacific Rim 2 - but if I go in with rock bottom expectations I might be pleasantly surprised. :)

I don't understand why they would think that the HULK SMASH!! approach would be better than some bunker buster munition, which can penetrate around 5 m of reinforced concrete and be dropped from a plane or rocket launched from miles away.

Faster, cheaper, easier to deploy, more likely to do the job, proven tech.

Neural-shmeural link.

9 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

I don't understand why they would think that the HULK SMASH!! approach would be better than some bunker buster munition, which can penetrate around 5 m of reinforced concrete and be dropped from a plane or rocket launched from miles away.

Neural-shmeural link.

Crowd appeal, dear stranger. Also marketability

And hulk smash is cooler

4 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

IDENTITY THEF! äääääääääääääääääääääää

AGGHHHHHHHHHHHH
Image result for panic gif

Oh wait are we talking about me?
Oh

Ohhhh

*flees*
Edited by Earthlinger

10 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Neural-shmeural link.

Well, in the movie the first giant monster thing took a huge military effort to kill. Still doesn't explain why they couldn't just build something more practical, but... it's really just a dumb action movie. It's actually pretty good for a dumb action movie.

I really liked Pacific Rim. Was it realistic? No. But neither was Star Wars or Harry Potter. Going into a movie about giant mechs fighting giant monsters and expecting realistic science is... well let's just say you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

My only problem with the first movie was that most every battle was at night in the rain. Probably they did this because it's easier to hide that it's all CGI, but hopefully the 2nd movie will have a better budget for some awesome daytime fights.

I think it would have been better if they stuck to dumb action movie.  The forced macho character conflict between under-developed character #1 and unde-developed character #2 was so weak they'd have been better off without it.

Why didn't they use the magic sword way, way sooner?

Also, narrowly slipping a nuclear explosive through a dimensional portal to destroy a civilization of aliens that are attacking for no apparent reason and just baaaarely escaping?  Where did I see that before?

Edited by Geonovast

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I think it would have been better if they stuck to dumb action movie.  The forced macho character conflict between under-developed character #1 and unde-developed character #2 was so weak they'd have been better off without it.

Why didn't they use the magic sword way, way sooner?

Also, narrowly slipping a nuclear explosive through a dimensional portal to destroy a civilization of aliens that are attacking for no apparent reason and just baaaarely escaping?  Where did I see that before?

I think there was a sentence in there about how the aliens wanted to colonize Earth... for some reason. I seem to recall a throwaway line that they were responsible for wiping out the dinosaurs. Again. Dumb action movie.

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

My only problem with the first movie was that most every battle was at night in the rain. Probably they did this because it's easier to hide that it's all CGI, but hopefully the 2nd movie will have a better budget for some awesome daytime fights.

Actually, they did that because the movie was supposed to have a gritty, 'industrial feel to it.' A lot of the scenes feature rain, and the mist and water that goes flying really adds to the feel of the movie. Same thing with smaller details, like the chipped paint, the water streaming off of the armor, etc. For me, personally, (and for a lot of other people, from what I've seen), it really adds to the darker, 'end of the world' tone of the movie.

And the budget wasn't small at all :D 180 million

I pretty enjoyed it, at the point to go twice at one of the local movie theaters in three days... I don't know, the scenario for itself was just "dumbidum", but it simply projected me back to my childhood and all the time passed to play Battletech with friends of mine at the public play room. Plus, just like vanamonde said, this soundtrack..!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.