[1.3.x-1.9.x] Craft Manager - search, sort, tag & share your craft

katateochi

• 5 months later...
On 4/23/2021 at 3:59 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

@katateochi has contacted me, I'll be pushing my changes to him over the weekend and he will get out a new release

Forgive my potential necro, but has there ever been any follow-up to this? The last version released by katateochi was 1.2.0 back in oct 2019. Unless I'm blind, I don't see this "new release" on github or in the CKAN metadata. I do see your fork on github, as well as deep-blue's, but neither have been compiled for a .zip release as far as I can tell. Any info about this? Honestly just more curious than anything; this isn't a must-have mod for me and God knows you're busy, @linuxgurugamer:)

2 hours ago, Iodyne said:

Forgive my potential necro, but has there ever been any follow-up to this? The last version released by katateochi was 1.2.0 back in oct 2019. Unless I'm blind, I don't see this "new release" on github or in the CKAN metadata. I do see your fork on github, as well as deep-blue's, but neither have been compiled for a .zip release as far as I can tell. Any info about this? Honestly just more curious than anything; this isn't a must-have mod for me and God knows you're busy, @linuxgurugamer:)

No, he seems to be unresponsive to any contact at this t8me

This mod, while a bit janky, is way more useful than the in-game system it replaces. I was hoping to drop it in favor of the new in-game functionality in 1.12 but unfortunately that one is still nowhere near as useful as this. I'm still relying on it in all my saves, bugs and all :) I can't imagine organizing 200-300+ craft files without it. 

Yes, it works fine. But sometimes when you click on a craft  it jumps to a previously selected craft - clicking twice usually solves this, but if you click twice too fast it will register as a doubleclick and open some craft instead. If you don't pay attention you'll often open the wrong craft by mistake. I've also had some issues with clicking through the window back in April, but I haven't experienced this issue anymore lately. If you keep these nuances in mind, you can use this mod without any issues in 1.12.2. I've also never tried the KerbalX integration as I purely only use this to organize my own craft files.

44 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

No derivatives license and mod author AWOL. /facepalm

Every author is entitled to license their work as they wish, of course. But some decisions are less thought out than others.

If the author is AWOL, there is probably a very good reason. @katateochi was always excellent at responding.  Unfortunate, but I am guessing there are bigger real life issues.  I am thankful for an amazing mod that has been supported for so long.

33 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

If the author is AWOL, there is probably a very good reason. @katateochi was always excellent at responding.  Unfortunate, but I am guessing there are bigger real life issues.  I am thankful for an amazing mod that has been supported for so long.

KerbalX is still running and I believe that's thanks to him. Someone's paying the bill.

On 10/11/2021 at 11:03 PM, Grimmas said:

But some decisions are less thought out than others.

Without knowing the reasons why, you can't say this.  I am aware of a number of mod authors who changed to an ARR after their stuff was copied and released by other people without attribution.

In my case, I've had people release unofficial DLLs which I got bug reports on.  It's rather difficult to debug code which you don't have source on.  I've elected to live with the situation, but don't fault authors who don't want to.

I guess it's a difference in philosophy. All my open source projects are always under BSD/MIT license, so that I know that if I walk away (and I have walked away from a few such projects before, due to loss of interest or conflicting real-life commitments) then someone can fork it and carry on if there is interest. 

On 10/13/2021 at 7:35 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I am aware of a number of mod authors who changed to an ARR after their stuff was copied and released by other people without attribution.

And by doing that, they had locked themselves on a corner - they are alone now.

You are the first and ultimate responsible for the consequences of the license you choose. If the license you choose allows people to do things you don't want, don't use the license - and that's all.

Going ARR will not solve the problem. Once you go ARR, you are the only one responsible for checking for compliance and pursing remedies - no one will help you, unless you pay some money. Once you go for a Open Source license, you will get help: lots and lots of people on this industry relies on Open Source Licenses, and it's their best interest to keep the status quo safe.

That said, going ARR is not necessarily wrong - it's a valid option, as long you know the consequences and are willing to cope with it. And to check The Pirate Bay frequently. ;) 

On 10/13/2021 at 7:35 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

In my case, I've had people release unofficial DLLs which I got bug reports on.  It's rather difficult to debug code which you don't have source on.  I've elected to live with the situation, but don't fault authors who don't want to.

Not to mention that some Open Source licenses even explicitly forbid you from taking any kind of action that would prevent anyone to make such forks - and, so is the life, if an user came to you asking for support on things made by other people, it's up to you to educate the guy. 

My suggestion, not only to protect your sanity but to value your own work, is to ask the guy to seek support from the source where he/she get the thing. This is the Right Thing™ to be done - people want your support, they should use your artefacts. You start supporting 3rd parties, you end up with your own works left behind.

In the bottom line, users do what users do, we have to live with it - it's just part of the zeitgeist.

On 10/13/2021 at 8:52 AM, Grimmas said:

I guess it's a difference in philosophy.

Not necessarily. Sometimes is due local legislations.

On this case, katateochi lives on a different country with very different culture and laws, and since he maintains (including with $$$$) the site he also have some responsibilities under his legislation. I surely have some under my own legislation (not only on my site, but also on the code I publish with my real name - and yes, I use my real name exactly due that).

There's also the trademarks issues, had he registered the trademark, they bought to himself some duties that may be easier to cope under an ARR license.

Time is a scarce resource, most people need to make compromises about where to spend it.

Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.

Carl Sandburg

Edited by Lisias
Better phrasings - Good Thing™ I'm a programmer, not a novelist!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 10:28 PM, Krazy1 said:

I've been doing a lot of mod stability checking and found this error after adding Craft Manager 1.2.0 with KXAPI 1.2.0 using CKAN.

[ERR 21:11:59.138] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KatLib, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 21:11:59.185] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KatLib, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

It occurs at KSP launch before loading all the parts, before the main menu. 

The log also shows this listed twice under "Mod DLLs found:"

KatLib v1.0.7240.21438

Is there a duplicate DLL?

The dlls seem to be the version and file size, etc. I'm guessing one of them can just be nuked. I'll try it and report back :D

<reporting back>Seems to work fine!

CraftManager needs KXAPI, both depend on KatLib. CKAN distribution has the KatLib DLL in both mods. This used to be OK but a recent update (I guess it is related to the unity engine update) now has issues with duplicate DLLs. 

If you delete KatLib from KXAPI then you'll have a whole bunch of exceptions at startup. What I did was instead delete the entire KXAPI mod (CKAN version) and move the KXAPI dll to Craft Manager's Plugins folder. 

4 hours ago, Grimmas said:

CraftManager needs KXAPI, both depend on KatLib. CKAN distribution has the KatLib DLL in both mods. This used to be OK but a recent update (I guess it is related to the unity engine update) now has issues with duplicate DLLs. 

If you delete KatLib from KXAPI then you'll have a whole bunch of exceptions at startup. What I did was instead delete the entire KXAPI mod (CKAN version) and move the KXAPI dll to Craft Manager's Plugins folder. 

I just deleted the dll from craftmanager, it seems to be working, although I have a lot of bugs from my overambitious modlist and can't distinguish the source.

8 hours ago, LudificorPayne said:

although I have a lot of bugs from my overambitious modlist and can't distinguish the source.

For self-help, download a fresh install, run it once, then start adding your mods a few at a time iaw their instructions or with CKAN.  Start with planet packs, then graphics, then parts, then quality-of-life ones.  Review the log after each group install and identify/resolve the errors somehow.  Ensure you have a compatible mod version for your game version.   While many older mods will function correctly under newer KSP versions, you might want to leave these to last.  Focus on getting a stable 1.12.2 game first, then add potentially problematic mods.

3 hours ago, Brigadier said:

For self-help, download a fresh install, run it once, then start adding your mods a few at a time iaw their instructions or with CKAN.  Start with planet packs, then graphics, then parts, then quality-of-life ones.  Review the log after each group install and identify/resolve the errors somehow.  Ensure you have a compatible mod version for your game version.   While many older mods will function correctly under newer KSP versions, you might want to leave these to last.  Focus on getting a stable 1.12.2 game first, then add potentially problematic mods.

Thanks, I've actually spent the last two weeks testing mods. The problem is I go into some kind of trance whenever I start building a test vessel, only to wake from my reverie with a completely unusable but cool looking spaceplane hours later. Time to kerbalize :)

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, MarkusJ said:

I have came across a bug, every time I open the manager and click any of the buttons it glitches the entire UI and compresses it in top left corner of the window. I can provide images and mod list if that helps.

Have you uninstalled/reinstalled?  How are you installing - CKAN or manually?  Which version of KSP and this mod are you using?

Read the link in my sig block below on how to report problems more effectively.

Fingers are crossed for an authorized update from the author. I'd love to see 'folders' added to this, and some way to save subassemblies directly as subassemblies (so you can edit them without screwing everything up). This is seriously one of those "indispensable" mods I can't play without anymore.

38 minutes ago, Frostiken said:

Fingers are crossed for an authorized update from the author. I'd love to see 'folders' added to this, and some way to save subassemblies directly as subassemblies (so you can edit them without screwing everything up). This is seriously one of those "indispensable" mods I can't play without anymore.

Take a look at this as a replacement, the author of this mod hasn't been active for a while

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.