I hate Dres!

king of nowhere

On 11/14/2020 at 1:15 PM, purpleivan said:

with Moho being topping that list (just 2 or 3 visits)

Cause Moho is hard toho goho toho. Dres on the other hand is downright B-O-R-I-N-G, I mean its a scaled down Mun. I've gone a few times as a simulator for Moho probes and such, because they are quite alike. But other than having a colony, if you could call it that. Its quite large, however it is crewed by 3 Kerbs, all but 1 is a max security prisoner. They are in their own lander cans, and the guard has the only escape method, as well as keys. Guard rotations happen once an in game year. The arriving one spends 3 weeks on the surface with the leaving one, getting used to the prisoners, and all the systems. Each guard then goes to the station I have over Dres as a refueling/crew hub for long range, way out in deep space orbit type things. They then can return home on the craft I send every 6th month to resupply RCS and other materials, or they can remain as part of the QRF for the other guard should something happen. I have left a rover on Dres as well, it is a simple little one, with not much to it. I visited Dres on a high orbit once to show off some tourist what it was like over Dres, he paid me handsomely for it. :wink: I brought him back after his stint was up, he came in on a 6th month craft, and left just after the new year. It was more than what he wanted, however I wasn't about to send a craft right back after a few weeks to pick him up, just because you're a tourist doesn't mean that I will spend more funds than I have to, just to bring you home faster.

Personally, I've been to Dres more than Eeloo.

Eeloo is boring. The terrain is more boring than Dres', and it takes longer to get to. At least in Dres I manage to get initial probes and relays to it before the next update drops or something. Eeloo... never been to once in career (always some other mission going on), only in sandbox.

Moho I've actually visited more than Jool in career. While it may take a lot of dV to get there, the windows come frequently, and you get there fast.

On 11/13/2020 at 7:01 PM, paul23 said:

Healthy distance from star is actually not a good thing to have.  Being close is often preferable for a space faring society: any such society should have fixed the "propulsion" system down to energy. And close to a start means much more readily available energy. (Until we start going dyson sphere)..

But more importantly: close to a star means many more times a transfer window. Where a far planet would take several years, and another far planet would also take those, to get the correct alignment would easily take 10+ years at distance dres-jool. Yet with something close like moho it happens multiple times a year.

If a society has resolved propulsion down to energy, then you mean laser highways, right? Once you've got an infrastructure of laser installations pushing everything in straight lines around the system, transfer windows stop being relevant. The power differential available to the inner system also isn't relevant for the purpose of intrasystem travel, since craft also need to be slowed by their destination.

Having a majority of infrastructure close to the local star is important to a lot of things, and you are right that it may be an overriding concern regarding where industry might be located, but minimum-energy transfer windows are the least concern to people of such an era.

My guess is he didn't, and that's why Dres is where it is. Okay, I've been there a few times. I think I've visited in pretty much any career I've spent some time on. It was mostly because it is a freak*ng planet, so it makes no sense to ingore it "story-wise", but those visits are kinda boring and feel pointless.

It has no atmosphere and is further out than Duna or Gilly, so very little mid-game appeal. Easier to get to than Eeloo or Moho, so little sense of accomplishment. No Easter eggs to speak of,  so no reason for such visits either. Orbit way more inclined than Duna and Jool, so transfer windows are either rare or require more dV than what seems justified.

To be honest, I feel like one of the most baffling questions about the Kerbol system is why its creators made Dres so unattractive to visit, given the work needed to create it.

visited Dres a few times, its the furthest out I have taken a Kerbal and returned them safely, its not exactly exciting but then most of the places you can go to are a bit the same - go, tick the same SCIENCE! boxes, return

game needs more randomisation of whats actually at various places, and a few more reasons to actually go to some of them, rare resources or something thats actually useful

On 11/21/2020 at 8:49 PM, Rocket Witch said:

If a society has resolved propulsion down to energy, then you mean laser highways, right? Once you've got an infrastructure of laser installations pushing everything in straight lines around the system, transfer windows stop being relevant.

Yes, you have a point about transfer windows no longer being relevant. However, thansfer times might still be, unless the tech can do away with some extra gees. And even then, even straight-line Kerbin-Jool transfer might take many hours and, in addition to this not being commute-friendly, the system will consume way more energy per trip than a Kerbin-Duna trip would.

On 10/17/2020 at 5:37 AM, king of nowhere said:

Dres. What's it good for?

It's basically Mun; similar size, similar look. But it is much harder to reach. It's too small and too difficult to reach to use effectively for gravity assists.

And it has nothing remarkable. Really, why would one want to visit Dres, except to say "i've been there"? it has no personality. even Pol has something special about it, and it's a serious competitor for the title of "most useless rock around kerbol" otherwise.

the only remarkable thing about dres is its canyon. So i went and tried to drive my rover through it. I did drive my rover through Mun's canyons, and it was a marvelous experience. I could get speed, then i would find a crater rim and make a really cool jump. the canyon oriented north-south was especially good as a racing circuit. maybe the dres canyon would be a cool drive? maybe the planet would have this one redeeming quality?

Never. the surface is too irregular, the gravity is lower. whenever i try to get to speed, i lose control. worse, the surface is so rugged, it's a real danger. my rover is armored so that it won't take damage from crashing. indeed, i did drive it for hundreds of kilometers around mun, and i never broke anything at any speed below 35 m/s. I often survived unschated up to 40 m/s. But on Dres, I managed to break wheels already at half that speed. And the canyon? the bottom of the canyon is all angles, without any soft path. it's impossible to race through it.

i decided to go and vent a bit of my dres hating around

How dare you.

• 2 years later...

I honestly love Dres. Sorry if that's a sharp contrast to your beliefs, but I do. I love the color scheme. The light grey (with hints of tan) and that deeper grey contrast very nicely, I think. It also has a "Dresteroid" belt you can reliably find mining asteroids in, and an easter egg on the surface that I think is very fun. I also like Ceres, Dres' IRL equivalent. I think the name Ceres sounds nice.  I used to "hate" Dres when all I knew about it was that it's orbit really sucked for transfers. But then I saw the surface first hand, and it's been my favorite ever since.

You could say that Moho is worthless as well, after all, it's a small rock orbiting the sun. But so is Kerbin, and Eve, and Duna...

And the moons too, Mun, Minmus, Tylo, Ike...

Don't get me started on Gilly, though. Talk about your captured asteroids.

Edited by chimera industries
Added more reasoning or something

• 2 weeks later...

I hate Dres for an entirely different reason besides it being one of the most boring places in the Kerbol system: the events that occurred on one of my missions there. You see, almost exactly a year ago, I was caught up in the fever of trying to circumnavigate every celestial body in stock KSP by rover, and, of course, that meant that I had to drive all the way around Dres. The rover I was using had performed fairly well on other celestial bodies up until this point, with me having already used the exact rover used to go around Dres to circumnavigate Ike. Now, given that Dres and Ike are almost exactly the same size, I thought that Dres would take about the same amount of time to complete; but, oh boy, was I wrong. The terrain was extremely bumpy, down to much smaller detail than on most other celestial bodies, which served to make driving on it very frustrating, as, whenever I would gain a significant amount of speed, I'd go airborne, land on a bump the wrong way, and risk spinning out of control. Another thing that served to increase my frustration was the terrain scatter from Breaking Ground, which was all the more annoying to avoid in low gravity. 

Now, this alone wouldn't have been enough to make me completely hate Dres, as, on Duna, I had experienced similar things. However, the thing that made it much worse was the glitches. On one occasion, my rover's wheels quite literally got stuck in the terrain for whatever reason, preventing me from moving. On another, a flag I planted decided it didn't want to live anymore and teleported over 500 meters away before exploding. Last of all, however, and by far the most frustrating, was the fact that the SAS on my rover completely broke, meaning that I had to entirely disable the reaction wheels, which essentially meant no going airborne, which, on somewhere with as low a gravity and as hilly a terrain as Dres, pretty much meant never exceeding 10 m/s again. Because of this, it took me over 3 hours to cover the remaining 200 or so km back to the mothership, and the drive through the canyon didn't make that worth it.

I haven't gone back to Dres since.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've played almost 1000 hours of KSP, and can't even remember going to Dres once.

One interesting thing is it doesn't really have a real world Solar System equivalent - Moho is Mercury, Eve is Venus, Duna is Mars, Jol is Jupiter...... what is Dres meant to be?

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2020 at 9:21 PM, Entropian said:

Dres may be hard at first, but it's some good practice for other bodies.

Dres is very easy with NERV engines. Excellent refueling spot.

On 6/26/2023 at 5:01 PM, Hotel26 said:

dres is possibly the worst analog of any celestial body. It’s mass is 20 times larger than that of Ceres taking into account scale, and it’s colour scheme and lack of cryovolcanism are quite different.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.