The Lounge's "Random Questions That Don't Need Their Own Thread" Thread

JoeSchmuckatelli

9 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

https://topwar-ru.translate.goog/203530-abramsx-uzhe-i-abramsy-s-neobitaemoj-bashnej-pojavilis.html?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ru&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Moar details on topic.

P.S.
A proper tank for proper gamers tankers. (WoT)

Hide contents

0-abrams-x-16-768x518.jpg

P.P.S.
Also the Ironclad Edition, soon. Fur der Zumwalt Schlachtschiff. (WoWS)

Hide contents

image041.jpg

"But there is one fat minus, which is that the crew becomes completely dependent on technical vision. Yes, there are cameras and panoramic surveillance devices. But in the event of a complete blackout of the vehicle or damage to the sights, neither the gunner nor the commander has backup optical channels. Just as there is no way to lean out of the hatch and look around the area around the tank, the tower standing behind and the low height of the vehicle body will interfere. Although this is a question for all tanks with an uninhabited turret without specific reference to models "

Yup. 

Good read... Thanks for that. 

It's funny... My son read about this development prototype and ran to talk to me about it. He's (of course) heard me talk about (and rant about) tanks and tanking his whole life - so he knew I'd hate it.  (Imagine the glee for a teenager to torment his father!) 

Part of me thinks that there is no Effing way that any American Tanker worth his salt would allow the nerd designers to put into service some robotic death trap that further reduces the efficacy of the tank by eliminating a crewman and reduces the situational awareness of the commander - but I've also been wrong before. 

The unfortunate RU adventure in Ukraine has convinced everyone that Robots Rule and that Unmanned is Cool...  I'm convinced the techno-cats are learning the wrong lessons.*

*Wars aren't won by new and shiny toys but rather by hard and dirty boys 

---

Side Bar: I note Armata isn't playing.

From experience... I suspect that this particular wunderkind is not going to prove to be wunderbar after being 'field tested' - should that ever occur. 

6 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

The unfortunate RU adventure in Ukraine has convinced everyone that Robots Rule and that Unmanned is Cool...  I'm convinced the techno-cats are learning the wrong lessons.*

I have seen pushback. For example, people have been pointing out that Ukraine’s successful offensives supported by armor completely destroy the “tanks are obsolete” clickbaity articles that came out in the early days.

I can’t post it here, but I have also seen a good video explaining why drones are not the end-all-be-all- not just for simple tactical reasons, but for very critical technical reasons- so I think it is safe to say the people who actually make the proposals won’t be swayed in the wrong way.

The issue of course is that the people who hold the purse make careers out of being swayed!

20 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I have seen pushback. For example, people have been pointing out that Ukraine’s successful offensives supported by armor completely destroy the “tanks are obsolete” clickbaity articles that came out in the early days.

I can’t post it here, but I have also seen a good video explaining why drones are not the end-all-be-all- not just for simple tactical reasons, but for very critical technical reasons- so I think it is safe to say the people who actually make the proposals won’t be swayed in the wrong way.

The issue of course is that the people who hold the purse make careers out of being swayed!

These people will also sway depending on who's being successful through the use of what at the time. Remember, our new weapons are miraculously powerful, their new weapons are a sign of desperation.

Just some random questions i encountered in a random youtube video. Figured id share them and share the laughs.

why is bacon called bacon and cookies called cookies if you cook bacon and bake cookies?

if your shirt isnt tucked into your pants, is your pants tucked into your shirt?

if youre invisible and close your eyes can you see through your eyelids?

a fire truck is actually a watertruck.

disclaimer: as i said, i chanced across these questions in a random youtube video compilation and take no responsibility for any ensuing face palms, but wanted to just share something that made me giggle. Enjoy!

Not a question - but a comment/tip/observation:

I did not have much hope for this show when I pressed 'play.'

Episode description: "Flynn is a brilliant gamer who works a dead end job to support her veteran brother and ailing mother..." 

Stop right there. 

Story thesis "__<Weird Name>__ is  gamer... " = almost always absolutely trite crap.   Can't tell you how many bad shows start out with this trope.  They're often either entirely unbelievable or offensively stupid. 

However I was bored and stressed and looking for a little mindless entertainment, so I did hit play. 

And was pleasantly surprised. 

Writing is based on a William Gibson novel (that I'd never heard of) but I do like his work.  Chloe Moritz plays the lead - and you know how Tom Cruise always plays Tom Cruise in EVERYTHING - you forget about Chloe Moritz almost instantly and just watch her character in the show.  The rest of the cast is surprisingly solid as well and the show is quite good (there are a few tropes - but they're handled well and pretty much aid in the storytelling). 

Two episodes are out and I'm hooked. 

1 hour ago, Superluminal Gremlin said:

Difference between DDR4 and DDR5?

Would having DDR5 allow me to run more mods than if i had the same amount of ram but with DDR4?

Not really, no.

FWIW, This properly should go into the Computer Megathread.

However:

...a tough pill to swallow for the minimal gains we see so far, even when you factor in the extended upgrade life that DDR5 will offer as that new PC build ages. (DDR5 is the future, after all, for subsequent Intel platforms.) For most of us considering a new Intel-based desktop-PC build today, the decision will be whether to build a new system now, using some DDR4 modules already in hand, or to wait for DDR5 pricing to normalize.

DDR5 vs. DDR4: How Much Performance Will You Gain From Today's Newest RAM? | PCMag

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

• 2 weeks later...

Question: if 22 is twenty two, 33 is thirty three, 44 is forty four, 55 is fifty five, 66 is sixty six, 77 is seventy seven, 88 is eighty eight and 99 is ninety nine then why is 11 not onety one?

<yup took the joke and expanded, but still, what gives?>

• 3 months later...

California, school busses. The remarks of a certain American politician have reached the Russian segment of the net, and they're causing guffaws, albeit not for the reason they were originally spread far and wide.

original.jpg

Given that Wi-fi and USB charge ports have been the norm for Moscow's busses since the late 2010s, including both apparent upgrade kits for regular diesels, and a growing fleet of EVs, trying to use these as a selling point invites scorn towards California's school bus system.

I decided to see if there's anything more to this story, and took a glance at the US EVs that get lambasted in related coverage for low reliability in scorching heat. And their specs invite the actual questions. Moscow's electrobus fleet are KamAZ-6282 (range: 70 km) and LiAZ-6274 (range: 80 km). The latter at some point in development had to trade a 200 km-capable Li-ion battery pack for a Li-titanite pack similar to the former. And galcing over the driver's shoulder, you really can see the charge bar drop in real time. Meanwhile, ProTerra aim for a whopping 250-300+ miles.

The questions boil down to necessity - are US school district and public transport routes really this long? I'm also wondering if, for some reason, charging between every circuit/two circuits was for some reason considered unacceptable. At this point, it feels like the endurance of the driver and oassengers would be the limiting factor in operation. Curious to hear any comments and opinions.

11 hours ago, DDE said:

are US school district and public transport routes really this long?

Growing up, one year I had a bus route that was 2 1/2 hours twice each day.    And that was in a semi suburban area that also included a large swathe of rural.     Rural area im currently moving away from, some bus rides are 1-2 Hours for these kids.    And this is in the Eastern half of the US.    Head out west and that route might break 100-150km.     But those are edge cases.    

But I’m looking at those 70-80km ranges you listed, and yeah, those are completely unacceptable for any school bus route in the majority of the US.    A lot of school systems tier their start times of their schools, so the elementary, middle and high schools start at different times of the day, reducing the number of buses required.    The same bus and driver would do three pickup routes in the morning (easily 20-40km each, in my school district as a kid), then they might do some field trips during the schools day, and then do those three drop off routes in the evening again.   There’s not enough time between each route to charge a bus up.   So yeah, 80km is way short for the needs of an average American school bus.  

On 2/14/2023 at 4:33 PM, DDE said:

California, school busses. The remarks of a certain American politician have reached the Russian segment of the net, and they're causing guffaws, albeit not for the reason they were originally spread far and wide.

original.jpg

Given that Wi-fi and USB charge ports have been the norm for Moscow's busses since the late 2010s, including both apparent upgrade kits for regular diesels, and a growing fleet of EVs, trying to use these as a selling point invites scorn towards California's school bus system.

I decided to see if there's anything more to this story, and took a glance at the US EVs that get lambasted in related coverage for low reliability in scorching heat. And their specs invite the actual questions. Moscow's electrobus fleet are KamAZ-6282 (range: 70 km) and LiAZ-6274 (range: 80 km). The latter at some point in development had to trade a 200 km-capable Li-ion battery pack for a Li-titanite pack similar to the former. And galcing over the driver's shoulder, you really can see the charge bar drop in real time. Meanwhile, ProTerra aim for a whopping 250-300+ miles.

The questions boil down to necessity - are US school district and public transport routes really this long? I'm also wondering if, for some reason, charging between every circuit/two circuits was for some reason considered unacceptable. At this point, it feels like the endurance of the driver and oassengers would be the limiting factor in operation. Curious to hear any comments and opinions.

I'm just going to laugh. And pour myself another shot of whiskey.

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, razark said:

You get this a lot if its an regular pattern in an texture or bump map who clash with the resolution. Best solution is not to use an regular map even if textiles tend to work this way. 

On 2/15/2023 at 12:17 PM, Gargamel said:

Growing up, one year I had a bus route that was 2 1/2 hours twice each day.    And that was in a semi suburban area that also included a large swathe of rural.     Rural area im currently moving away from, some bus rides are 1-2 Hours for these kids.    And this is in the Eastern half of the US.    Head out west and that route might break 100-150km.     But those are edge cases.    

But I’m looking at those 70-80km ranges you listed, and yeah, those are completely unacceptable for any school bus route in the majority of the US.    A lot of school systems tier their start times of their schools, so the elementary, middle and high schools start at different times of the day, reducing the number of buses required.    The same bus and driver would do three pickup routes in the morning (easily 20-40km each, in my school district as a kid), then they might do some field trips during the schools day, and then do those three drop off routes in the evening again.   There’s not enough time between each route to charge a bus up.   So yeah, 80km is way short for the needs of an average American school bus.  

This, you have lots of the same issue with regular busses to.  In rush hours they run all the time.  
More so school busses does not follow the pretty sensible routes the regular busses does, they want to pick up all the kids in one go. 
Found an bicycle was faster but that did not work during winter. 

8 hours ago, LHACK4142 said:

You're allowed to use special characters for your team name in a certain robotics competition. What if you call your team \n?

Use U+0007 (bell) so that every time it's displayed it will make noise!

• 3 weeks later...

Copy pasting this from my Russian class’ Discord channel:

Does Russia have some sort of cosmic relationship with cats? It seems like there are a lot of cat owners on the Discord, I see cats walking around in the background of people’s screens during class all the time, and Russia has the most cat owners in the world.

I myself have a cat (or at least one lives with me, and belongs to my sister).

In contrast, I have not seen many dog posts here and I don’t see dogs in the backgrounds of people’s screens (although I suppose dogs don’t necessarily have the mobility to get up on a desk).

Here on the forum there was a discussion, if the cats drink milk.

The very idea of cats not drinking the milk sounds monstrously for a Russian, as the cats and the milk are synonyms.
The humans were domesticated by cats to milk the cows for them.
And the Milky Way is called so to let the people remember their duties.
(Btw there should be zodiacal constellations of Fridge and Litter Box, instead of those stupid figures).

Probably, the cats share this point of view and see where the people operate properly,

In both The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath and The Cats of Ulthar the cats are milked, Lovecraft blessed this.

So, yes, it's a cosmic relationship.

P.S.
Just thought.

Aries, Taurus, Capricorn, Pisces - cat food (btw, zodiac starts and ends with cat food, because to feed the cat is very important)
Gemini - the kittens
Cancer, Scorpio - scratching posts, also - various critters to hunt, sometimes hurting
Leo - the cat
Virgo  - a catgirl, a girl companion of the cat
Libra - the litter box, the scale to measure the cat food in a market, also cats just love a fine balance
Aquarius - cat bath, usually hated, at the same time - the drinker
Sagittarius - cat bites, also vaccination, usually hated

So, the zodiacal sequence looks like:
Ari - cat eats
Tau - cat eats
Gem - cats pet and play
Can - cat scratches something
Leo - cat  licks themselves
Vir - cat gets petted
Lib - cat visits toilet
Sco - cat scratches something
Sag - cat bites the girl
Cap - cat eats
Aqu - girls makes the cat to have a bath in revenge, or washes what the cat did around the litter box
Pis - cat eats

This is repeated between the cat sleeps.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 3/30/2023 at 11:32 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

Does Russia have some sort of cosmic relationship with cats? It seems like there are a lot of cat owners on the Discord, I see cats walking around in the background of people’s screens during class all the time, and Russia has the most cat owners in the world.

On one hand,

zYzia57idX4.jpg?size=1280x1016&quality=9

However, I imagine much of the Middle East would compete owing to its semi-stray population.

I, however, am ultimately biased.

pxVgY35QAXA.jpg?size=2560x1440&quality=9

Raising the owing an cat question, does the cat stay with you then you move? 
I had an cat, she was hurt I took her in and feed her, next day she slept on me while I watched TV. She stayed to 7 years something, then I moved, after 14 days at new apartment I let her out, never saw her again, I guess she ran back to the previous holder.