KSP2 Release Notes - Update v0.1.2.0

Intercept Games

21 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

And confirmed that the trajectory bug is NOT fixed.  In the first two screenshots, I plotted a course burning prograde to Duna's orbit and I'm showing an intercept with Kerbin.  In the second 2 shots, I burn retrograde to Duna's orbit, and I get a flight path going outwards towards Eeloo.  This is NOT correct; these should be the opposite of what they are.

Reveal hidden contents

jm5p70o.png
triCOeZ.png

nyALtsF.png
UXZZK1X.png

I am left wondering if @Nate Simpson can address why this bug was not fixed when it's been reported since initial launch of the game?

Also, there is no longer a delete icon near the burn timer?  We have to use the delete icon on the maneuver node itself now?

The personal attack wasn't really necessary.  Interplanetary missions are not playable due to the bug as you cannot accurately plan for, plot, or fly the right trajectory.  That makes most of the game unplayable...unless you prefer to stay within Kerbin's SOI.  Which I don't.  I want to see the rest of the planets, and I'd like to be able to plan appropriately.  And please, no more personal attacks.  You may disagree with me, and that's fine.  But to tell me I don't know something isn't necessary or cool.

+1 on interplanetary missions not being playable with this bug. I spent hours and hours designing my weekly challenge crafts, with the perfect amount of dV  for the tasks at hand. Then I spent another few hours trying to understand how my return trajectory was always broken. Then finally watching my craft leave Duna's SOI in 1x speed, just to see the bug happen in real time. I have no desire to start a new KSP project when I know I won't be able to return from my destination (or rather, I know that I'm at least playing a crap shoot on being able to return). Game breaking indeed :/ Very unfortunate to see this go unfixed again.

4 minutes ago, BLINGMW said:

Is KSC still surrounded by a thousand trees even when scatter is turned off? That's the only thing that was murdering my GTX 1650

There's still plenty of trees - but they are now ultra low poly models. Like, barely ten-fifteen triangles per tree. :D That's part of what I meant with "immediately obvious".

You should see a significant improvement.

Edited by Streetwind

1 minute ago, IronGremlin said:

What, you think people are just leaving it on the floor?

Like what kind of answer do you expect to this question?

I personally am shocked that this bug has been left unaddressed since launch. This is fairly basic orbital mechanics, something KSP1 has had “right” for over a decade. It is a fundamental requirement of a space travel-based game that simulates orbital mechanics that said orbital mechanics be calculated and simulated correctly. 

The bug has been reported and thoroughly detailed for many weeks now. It’s been 3-1/2 weeks since Patch 1.  It is absolutely reasonable to ask why this foundational error in a core gameplay function remains broken. 

3 minutes ago, IronGremlin said:

What, you think people are just leaving it on the floor?

Like what kind of answer do you expect to this question?

Well, it's been reported since launch day, and nobody at TT/IG/PD has even mentioned it.  Nate and the community managers continue to applaud the community for helping in identifying bugs, and yet the biggest one of them out there has had nothing said about it?  Even a simple statement acknowledging that they are aware of it and working to fix it would be nice.  But to go through 2 patches without a mention of it?

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Well, it's been reported since launch day, and nobody at TT/IG/PD has even mentioned it.  Nate and the community managers continue to applaud the community for helping in identifying bugs, and yet the biggest one of them out there has had nothing said about it?  Even a simple statement acknowledging that they are aware of it and working to fix it would be nice.  But to go through 2 patches without a mention of it?

We're aware of the issue and are continuing to investigate it. 

8 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Thank you!  Please let any of us who have experienced and reported this bug know if you need or want any specific additional information. 

30 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Perhaps someone else can comment on performance differences at medium or high settings - I'm still stuck on old hardware for now, pending a full new PC build in the next month or two :P But I can guarantee that a lot of people with low-end hardware will appreciate these changes.

Running Medium settings at 4k.  3070.  I'm 'feeling' like the game is smoother.  I think I'm seeing between 5 and 10 frames per second better than before (which, at the prior 12-20 FPS is significant).

Problem is that the UI is now BEHIND the FPS counter (in-game) and so it's harder to read.  Also, my Geforce performance thingy is acting up (showing N/A) so I can't verify) - but by dilligently squinting at the in-game; I think it's better.

Flying around KSC in a plane is NOTICEABLY IMPROVED.

9 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Great. Please do more of this as acknowledging the issues we report lets us know its being worked on or looked at

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, Wyleg said:

Guys, it is all great stuff, but can we at least get SOME acknowledge about decaying orbits bug?

51 minutes ago, nestor said:

Not yet, we do have that one on our list though. 

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Perhaps I missed it, but I don't see a fix in there for incorrect trajectories when returning to Kerbin from an interplanetary mission.

And ninja'ed by Lefty.  Glad to see I'm not the only person who noticed this didn't get fixed.  Shame as it makes the game unplayable.

It's playable. Just very hard and in no way based on ingame tools. Just guessworking. But with gritted teeth you can do it, as I did a couple of times already.

33 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Some very pleasing developments on the performance front.

I mean, it is immediately, visually obvious how the extra performance is obtained when you play on low settings. The reduction in visual fidelity is very significant.

...But then again, that is precisely what "low settings" are for. Previously, they barely did anything. Now they do a lot. And the impact on video memory is dramatic. Previously, even 1080p on low settings was all but maxing out an 8GB buffer; now, I encountered some situations where it only needed ~5. This disables the brutal memory bottleneck that made a bunch of perfectly serviceable video cards with 6GB VRAM borderline unplayable at any resolution.

I'm seeing FPS gains of 50% and more, depending on the scene. Heck, I can switch up to 1440p and get slightly more FPS than I got on 1080p before, and because that's my native resolution, the image is no longer blurry from interpolation.

Perhaps someone else can comment on performance differences at medium or high settings - I'm still stuck on old hardware for now, pending a full new PC build in the next month or two :P But I can guarantee that a lot of people with low-end hardware will appreciate these changes.

the performance improvements are HUGE. I'm on 2060 and before no matter the settings I couldn't get any more than 15fps near KSC. Now I'm hitting 25-30, stable even with large-ish rocket on the pad, at all times even on medium settings. Without a craft even 50. Haven't checked high yet but I have hopes.

Also glad to see that orbit decay and trajectories are being looked at.

Though I wouldn't mind a camera hotfix because the "auto" sticks to orbital mode at all times, even on the surface. Any plane-ing or rocketing is hard to do from sideways perspective.

17 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

firstly, while I understand wanting acknowledgement, I'm not sure you really appreciate how un-straightforward the bug is; leaving a moon of another body towards kerbin, for instance, does not introduce the bug for me.

second, while it's difficult to work around, it's not "game breaking". in my experience the trajectory always fixes itself once you leave the SOI of the body. so setup your burn where and when you know it should be for roughly the dV you know it should be, and just plot intercept with course corrections once you leave SOI. obviously this is a tall task for newcomers, but most experienced players should be able to do this just fine. you'll take a dV penalty, of course, but let's not pretend like we're flying completely blind here.

1 hour ago, regex said:

Is this really a good change? We can't do hypotheticals anymore? Can't say I'm enthused about this change...

Not only that, but the game still has a bug that shows 0 dv upon loading a vessel that still has fuel. Can't make a maneuver node with that either.

This needs to go out.

1 hour ago, regex said:

Is this really a good change? We can't do hypotheticals anymore? Can't say I'm enthused about this change...

It actually makes sense (and brings it in line with how it behaves normally, since you can't plot a maneuver with your engines shut off), because maneuvers take burn duration into account. Since dV is not the same per second of burn duration throughout your craft's fuel levels, there'd be no way for the hypothetical to be accurate for the given craft.

That being said, I *do* agree that it is nice to have hypothetical maneuvers just to get a rough estimate of dV. I feel like this is something they should add to the tracking station that is craft independent and doesn't care about burn time; basically a KSP1-type node in the tracking station.

40 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

There's still plenty of trees - but they are now ultra low poly models. Like, barely ten-fifteen triangles per tree. :D That's part of what I meant with "immediately obvious".

You should see a significant improvement.

YAY just finished installing, and you're right. I can stay over 20 FPS now instead of like, 4! I still don't know why we're drawing all these scatter trees when I have "Environment Prop" turned off, but...